- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Advances in Acoustics and Vibration
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 876973, 10 pages
Large-Eddy Simulation of the Aerodynamic and Aeroacoustic Performance of a Ventilation Fan
1Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, Sapienza, University of Rome, Via Eudossiana, 18, 00184 Roma, Italy
2Fläkt Woods Ltd., Axial Way, Colchester CO4 5ZG, UK
Received 4 October 2012; Accepted 18 January 2013
Academic Editor: Abul Azad
Copyright © 2013 Stefano Bianchi et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- D. Lacroix, “New french recommendations for fire ventilation in road tunnels,” in Proceedings of the 9th International Conference on Aerodynamics and Ventilation of Vehicle Tunnels, pp. 103–1123, Aosta Valley, Italy, 1997.
- C. Carvel, “The effects of ventilation on fires in tunnels,” in Proceedings of the International Tunnel Fire and Safety Conference, Rotterdam, The Netherlands, 1999.
- A. G. Sheard and N. M. Jones, “Emergency ventilation for vehicular, rail and metro tunnels,” in Proceedings of the International Congress Safety Innovation Criteria inside Tunnels, Dijon, Spain, 2005.
- A. G. Sheard and N. M. Jones, “High temperature certification of large fans for emergency ventilation,” in Proceedings of the 12th International Symposium on Aerodynamics and Ventilation of Vehicle Tunnels, pp. 123–140, Portoroz, Slovenia, July 2006.
- A. G. Sheard and N. M. Jones, “Approval of high-temperature emergency tunnel-ventilation fans: the impact of ISO, 21927-3,” in Proceedings of the ITA–AITES World Tunnel Congress and 34th General Assembly, Agra, India, 2008.
- ANSI/ASHRAE Standard 149-2000, Laboratory Methods of Testing Fans Used to Exhaust Smoke in Smoke Management Systems, ANSI/ASHRAE Standard, Atlanta, Ga, USA.
- R. A. Wallis, Axial Flow Fans: Design and Practice, George Newnes, Lynton, UK, 1961.
- B. B. Daily, Woods Practical Guide to Fan Engineering, Woods of Colchester, Birmingham, UK, 1985.
- J. Vad, “Incorporation of forward blade sweep in the non-free vortex design method of axial flow turbomachinery rotors,” Periodica Polytechnica, Mechanical Engineering, vol. 45, no. 2, pp. 217–237, 2001.
- A. Corsini, F. Rispoli, J. Vad, and F. Bencze, “Non-free vortex flow effects in an axial flow rotor,” Periodica Polytechnica, Mechanical Engineering, vol. 45, no. 2, pp. 201–216, 2001.
- K. Y. Lee, Y. S. Choi, Y. L. Kim, and J. H. Yun, “Design of axial fan using inverse design method,” Journal of Mechanical Science and Technology, vol. 22, no. 10, pp. 1883–1888, 2008.
- J. H. Horlock and J. D. Denton, “A review of some early design practice using computational fluid dynamics and a current perspective,” Journal of Turbomachinery, vol. 127, no. 1, pp. 5–13, 2005.
- M. J. Pratt, “Virtual prototypes and product models in mechanical engineering,” in Proceedings of the IFIP WG 5. 10 Workshop on Virtual Environments and Their Applications and Virtual Prototyping, pp. 113–128, 1994.
- U. Jasnoch, H. Kress, and J. Rix, “Towards a virtual prototyping environment,” in Proceedings of the IFIP WG 5. 10 Workshop on Virtual Environments and Their Applications and Virtual Prototyping, pp. 173–183, 1994.
- A. G. Sheard, A. Corsini, S. Minotti, and F. Sciulli, “The role of computational methods in the development of an aero-acoustic design methodology: application to a family of large industrial fans,” CMMF Annual Report, September 2009.
- H. Schneider, D. von Terzi, and H. J. Bauer, “Large-Eddy Simulations of trailing-edge cutback film cooling at low blowing ratio,” International Journal of Heat and Fluid Flow, vol. 31, no. 5, pp. 767–775, 2010.
- M. Labois and D. Lakehal, “Very-large eddy simulation (V-LES) of the flow across a tube bundle,” Nuclear Engineering and Design, vol. 241, pp. 2075–2085, 2011.
- L. Davidson and P. Nielsen, “Large eddy simulations of the flow in a three-dimensional ventilated room,” in Proceedings of the 5th International Conference on Air Distribution in Rooms, pp. 161–168, Yokohama, Japan, 1996.
- N. A. Cumpsty, “Review—a critical review of turbomachinery noise,” Journal of Fluids Engineering, vol. 99, no. 2, pp. 278–293, 1977.
- J. H. Miles, “Procedure for separating noise sources in measurements of turbofan engine core noise,” in Proceedings of the 12th AIAA/CEAS Aeroacoustics Conference, pp. 2249–2264, May 2006.
- J. E. Ffowks Williams and D. L. Hawkings, “Sound generation by turbulence and surfaces in arbitrary motion,” Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London A, vol. 342, 1969.
- H. Jasak, “OpenFOAM: a year in review,” in Proceedings of the 5th OpenFOAM Workshop, Gothenburg, Sweden, June 2010.
- D. Borello, A. Corsini, F. Rispoli, and A. G. Sheard, “DES of a large industrial fan at design operation,” Journal of Power and Energy. In press.
- D. Borello, A. Corsini, F. Rispoli, and A. G. Sheard, “LES of the aerodynamics and aero-acoustic performance of an industrial fan designed for tunnel ventilation,” ASME Paper GT2012-69046, 2012, submitted to Turbo Expo.
- A. Corsini and F. Rispoli, “Flow analyses in a high-pressure axial ventilation fan with a non-linear eddy-viscosity closure,” International Journal of Heat and Fluid Flow, vol. 26, no. 3, pp. 349–361, 2005.
- D. Borello, K. Hanjalic, and F. Rispoli, “Prediction of cascade flows with innovative second-moment closures,” Journal of Fluids Engineering, vol. 127, no. 6, pp. 1059–1070, 2005.
- D. Borello, K. Hanjalic, and F. Rispoli, “Computation of tip-leakage flow in a linear compressor cascade with a second-moment turbulence closure,” International Journal of Heat and Fluid Flow, vol. 28, no. 4, pp. 587–601, 2007.
- D. Borello, G. Delibra, K. Hanjalić, and F. Rispoli, “Large-eddy simulations of tip leakage and secondary flows in an axial compressor cascade using a near-wall turbulence model,” Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers A, vol. 223, no. 6, pp. 645–655, 2009.
- D. Borello, G. Delibra, K. Hanjalić, and F. Rispoli, “HybridLES/RANS study of turbulent flow in a low speed linear compressor cascade with moving casing,” ASME Paper GT2010-23755, 2010.
- G. Delibra, D. Borello, K. Hanjalić, and F. Rispoli, “URANS of flow and endwall heat transfer in a pinned passage relevant to gas-turbine blade cooling,” International Journal of Heat and Fluid Flow, vol. 30, no. 3, pp. 549–560, 2009.
- G. Delibra, D. Borello, K. Hanjalić, and F. Rispoli, “A LES insight into convective mechanism of heat transfer in a wall-bounded pin matrix,” in Proceedings of the 14th International Heat Transfer Conference, Washington, DC, USA.
- M. Lighthill, “On sound generated aerodynamically,” Proceedings of the Royal Society of London A, vol. 211, 1952.
- F. Farassat, “Linear acoustic formulas for calculation of rotating blade noise,” AIAA Journal, vol. 19, no. 9, pp. 1122–1130, 1981.
- S. Bianchi, A. Corsini, and G. Paniagua, “Amplification of the force and tonal noise in transonic HPT,” in Proceedings of the 9th European Turbomachinery Conference, Istanbul, Turkey, 2011.
- Y. Dubief and F. Delcayre, “On coherent-vortex identification in turbulence,” Journal of Turbulence, vol. 1, pp. 11–22, 2000.
- S. Lieblein, “Experimental flow in 2D cascades,” in The Aerodynamic Design of the Axial Flow Compressor, NACA RME 56B03, reprinted as NASA SP36, Chapter 6, 1956.
- D. Borello, A. Corsini, S. Minotti, F. Rispoli, and A. G. Sheard, “U-RANS of a large industrial fan under design and off-design operations,” in Proceedings of the 9th European Turbomachinery Conference, Istanbul, Turkey, March 2011.
- A. Powell, “Theory of vortex sound,” Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, vol. 36, pp. 177–195, 1964.
- N. Curle, “The influence of solid boundaries upon aerodynamic sound,” Proceedings of the Royal Society of London A, vol. 231, pp. 505–514, 1955.
- A. Powell, “Mechanisms of aerodynamic sound production,” AGARD Report 466, 1963.