- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Advances in Bioinformatics
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 148045, 6 pages
Producing High-Accuracy Lattice Models from Protein Atomic Coordinates Including Side Chains
1Bioinformatics, University of Freiburg, Georges-Köhler Allee 106, 79110 Freiburg im Breisgau, Germany
2Theoretical Biochemistry, University of Vienna, Währingerstraße 17, 1090 Vienna, Austria
3Department of Statistics, Oxford University, 1 South Parks Road, Oxford OX1 3TG, UK
Received 4 April 2012; Accepted 18 June 2012
Academic Editor: Shandar Ahmad
Copyright © 2012 Martin Mann et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- L. Mirny and E. Shakhnovich, “Protein folding theory: from lattice to all-atom models,” Annual Review of Biophysics and Biomolecular Structure, vol. 30, pp. 361–396, 2001.
- K. A. Dill, S. B. Ozkan, M. S. Shell, and T. R. Weikl, “The protein folding problem,” Annual Review of Biophysics, vol. 37, pp. 289–316, 2008.
- S. Istrail and F. Lam, “Combinatorial algorithms for protein folding in lattice models: a survey of mathematical results,” Communications in Information and Systems, vol. 9, no. 4, pp. 303–346, 2009.
- K. A. Dill, “Theory for the folding and stability of globular proteins,” Biochemistry, vol. 24, no. 6, pp. 1501–1509, 1985.
- A. Renner and E. Bornberg-Bauer, “Exploring the fitness landscapes of lattice proteins,” Pacific Symposium on Biocomputing, pp. 361–372, 1997.
- J. Miao, J. Klein-Seetharaman, and H. Meirovitch, “The optimal fraction of hydrophobic residues required to ensure protein collapse,” Journal of Molecular Biology, vol. 344, no. 3, pp. 797–811, 2004.
- R. Backofen and S. Will, “A constraint-based approach to fast and exact structure prediction in three-dimensional protein models,” Constraints, vol. 11, no. 1, pp. 5–30, 2006.
- F. P. E. Huard, C. M. Deane, and G. R. Wood, “Modelling sequential protein folding under kinetic control,” Bioinformatics, vol. 22, no. 14, pp. e203–e210, 2006.
- C. M. Deane, M. Dong, F. P. E. Huard, B. K. Lance, and G. R. Wood, “Cotranslational protein folding—fact or fiction?” Bioinformatics, vol. 23, no. 13, pp. i142–i148, 2007.
- M. Mann, S. Will, and R. Backofen, “CPSP-tools—exact and complete algorithms for high-throughput 3D lattice protein studies,” BMC Bioinformatics, vol. 9, article 230, 2008.
- M. Mann, D. Maticzka, R. Saunders, and R. Backofen, “Classifying proteinlike sequences in arbitrary lattice protein models using LatPack,” HFSP Journal, vol. 2, no. 6, pp. 396–404, 2008.
- R. Saunders, M. Mann, and C. M. Deane, “Signatures of co-translational folding,” Biotechnology Journal, vol. 6, no. 6, pp. 742–751, 2011.
- A. ] Godzik, A. Kolinski, and J. Skolnick, “Lattice representations of globular proteins: how good are they?” Journal of Computational Chemistry, vol. 14, no. 10, pp. 1194–1202, 1993.
- B. A. Reva, M. F. Sanner, A. J. Olson, and A. V. Finkelstein, “Lattice modeling: accuracy of energy calculations,” Journal of Computational Chemistry, vol. 17, no. 8, pp. 1025–1032, 1996.
- J. Mañuch; and D. R. Gaur, “Fitting protein chains to cubic lattice is NP-complete,” Journal of Bioinformatics and Computational Biology, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 93–106, 2008.
- D. G. Covell and R. L. Jernigan, “Conformations of folded proteins in restricted spaces,” Biochemistry, vol. 29, no. 13, pp. 3287–3294, 1990.
- D. A. Hinds and M. Levitt, “A lattice model for protein structure prediction at low resolution,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 89, no. 7, pp. 2536–2540, 1992.
- B. H. Park and M. Levitt, “The complexity and accuracy of discrete state models of protein structure,” Journal of Molecular Biology, vol. 249, no. 2, pp. 493–507, 1995.
- D. S. Rykunov, B. A. Reva, and A. V. Finkelstein, “Accurate general method for lattice approximation of three-dimensional structure of a chain molecule,” Proteins, vol. 22, no. 2, pp. 100–109, 1995.
- B. A. Reva, D. S. Rykunov, A. V. Finkelstein, and J. Skolnick, “Optimization of protein structure on lattices using a self-consistent field approach,” Journal of Computational Biology, vol. 5, no. 3, pp. 531–538, 1998.
- P. Koehl and M. Delarue, “Building protein lattice models using self-consistent mean field theory,” Journal of Chemical Physics, vol. 108, no. 22, pp. 9540–9549, 1998.
- Y. Ponty, R. Istrate, E. Porcelli, and P. Clote, “LocalMove: computing on-lattice fits for biopolymers,” Nucleic Acids Research, vol. 36, pp. W216–W222, 2008.
- C. L. Pierri, A. De Grassi, and A. Turi, “Lattices for ab initio protein structure prediction,” Proteins, vol. 73, no. 2, pp. 351–361, 2008.
- M. Mann and A. Dal Palu, “Lattice model refinement of protein structures,” in Proceedings of the Workshop on Constraint Based Methods for Bioinformatics (WCB '10), p. 7, 2010.
- E. Jacob and R. Unger, “A tale of two tails: why are terminal residues of proteins exposed?” Bioinformatics, vol. 23, no. 2, pp. e225–e230, 2007.
- A. D. Ullah, L. Kapsokalivas, M. Mann, and K. Steinhöfel, “Protein folding simulation by two-stage optimization,” in Proceedings of the International Symposium on Intelligence Computation and Applications (ISICA '09), vol. 51 of Communications in Computer and Information Science, pp. 138–145, 2009.
- S. Sun, “Reduced representation model of protein structure prediction: statistical potential and genetic algorithms,” Protein Science, vol. 2, no. 5, pp. 762–785, 1993.
- S. Bromberg and K. A. Dill, “Side-chain entropy and packing in proteins,” Protein Science, vol. 3, no. 7, pp. 997–1009, 1994.
- W. E. Hart, “Lattice and off-lattice side chain models of protein folding: linear time structure prediction better than 86% of optimal,” Journal of Computational Biology, vol. 4, no. 3, pp. 241–259, 1997.
- V. Heun, “Approximate protein folding in the HP side chain model on extended cubic lattices,” Discrete Applied Mathematics, vol. 127, no. 1, pp. 163–177, 2003.
- A. Kolinski and J. Skolnick, “Reduced models of proteins and their applications,” Polymer, vol. 45, no. 2, pp. 511–524, 2004.
- B. A. Reva, D. S. Rykunov, A. J. Olson, and A. V. Finkelstein, “Constructing lattice models of protein chains with side groups,” Journal of Computational Biology, vol. 2, no. 4, pp. 527–535, 1995.
- Y. Zhang, A. K. Arakaki, and J. Skolnick, “TASSER: an automated method for the prediction of protein tertiary structures in CASP6,” Proteins, vol. 61, no. 7, pp. 91–98, 2005.
- A. Kolinski, “Protein modeling and structure prediction with a reduced representation,” Acta Biochimica Polonica, vol. 51, no. 2, pp. 349–371, 2004.
- V. A. Eyrich, D. M. Standley, and R. A. Friesner, “Prediction of protein tertiauy structure to low resolution: performance for a large and structurally diverse test set,” Journal of Molecular Biology, vol. 288, no. 4, pp. 725–742, 1999.
- M. Feig, P. Rotkiewicz, A. Kolinski, J. Skolnick, and C. L. Brooks III, “Accurate reconstruction of all-atom protein representations from side-chain-based low-resolution models,” Proteins, vol. 41, no. 1, pp. 86–97, 2000.
- M. T. Wolfinger, S. Will, I. L. Hofacker, R. Backofen, and P. F. Stadler, “Exploring the lower part of discrete polymer model energy landscapes,” Europhysics Letters, vol. 74, no. 4, pp. 726–732, 2006.
- M. Mann, M. Abou Hamra, K. Steinhöfel, and R. Backofen, “Constraint-based local move definitions for lattice protein models including side chains,” in Proceedings of the Fifth Workshop on Constraint Based Methods for Bioinformatics (WCB '09), 2009.
- H. M. Berman, J. Westbrook, Z. Feng et al., “The protein data bank,” Nucleic Acids Research, vol. 28, no. 1, pp. 235–242, 2000.
- W. Kabsch, “A discussion of the solution for the best rotation to relate two sets of vectors,” Acta Crystallographica, vol. A34, pp. 827–828, 1978.
- Y. Choi and C. M. Deane, “FREAD revisited: accurate loop structure prediction using a database search algorithm,” Proteins, vol. 78, no. 6, pp. 1431–1440, 2010.
- M. Mann, C. Smith, M. Rabbath, M. Edwards, S. Will, and R. Backofen, “CPSP-web-tools: a server for 3D lattice protein studies,” Bioinformatics, vol. 25, no. 5, pp. 676–677, 2009.
- A. Herráez, “Biomolecules in the computer: jmol to the rescue,” Biochemistry and Molecular Biology Education, vol. 34, no. 4, pp. 256–261, 2006.
- G. Wang and R. L. Dunbrack, “PISCES: recent improvements to a PDB sequence culling server,” Nucleic Acids Research, vol. 33, no. 2, pp. W94–W98, 2005.