- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Advances in Bioinformatics
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 920325, 10 pages
A Multilevel Gamma-Clustering Layout Algorithm for Visualization of Biological Networks
1Institute of Theoretical Computer Science, ETH Zurich, 8092 Zurich, Switzerland
2NEBION AG, Hohlstraße 515, 8048 Zurich, Switzerland
Received 12 April 2013; Accepted 7 June 2013
Academic Editor: Guohui Lin
Copyright © 2013 Tomas Hruz et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- T. Kamada and S. Kawai, “An algorithm for drawing general undirected graphs,” Information Processing Letters, vol. 31, no. 1, pp. 7–15, 1989.
- T. M. J. Ffuchterman and E. M. Reingold, “Graph drawing by force-directed place-ment,” Software, vol. 21, no. 11, pp. 1129–1164, 1991.
- A. T. Adai, S. V. Date, S. Wieland, and E. M. Marcotte, “LGL: creating a map of protein function with an algorithm for visualizing very large biological networks,” Journal of Molecular Biology, vol. 340, no. 1, pp. 179–190, 2004.
- K. Han and B.-H. Ju, “A fast layout algorithm for protein interaction networks,” Bioinformatics, vol. 19, no. 15, pp. 1882–1888, 2003.
- J. Abello, M. Resende, and S. Sudarsky, “Massive quasi-clique detection,” in LATIN 2002: Theoretical Informatics, S. Rajsbaum, Ed., vol. 2286 of Lecture Notes in Computer Science, pp. 598–612, Springer, Berlin, Germany, 2002.
- W. Li and H. Kurata, “A grid layout algorithm for automatic drawing of biochemical networks,” Bioinformatics, vol. 21, no. 9, pp. 2036–2042, 2005.
- S. E. Schaeffer, “Graph clustering,” Computer Science Review, vol. 1, pp. 27–64, 2007.
- N. Mishra, R. Schreiber, I. Stanton, and R. Tarjan, “Clustering social networks,” in Algorithms and Models For the Web-Graph, A. Bonato and F. Chung, Eds., vol. 4863 of Lecture Notes in Computer Science, pp. 56–67, Springer, Berlin, Germany, 2007.
- J. Hastad, “Clique is hard to approximate within n1-ε,” Acta Mathematica, vol. 182, pp. 105–142, 1999.
- A. Frick, A. Ludwig, and H. Mehldau, “A fast adaptive layout algorithm for undirected graphs (extended abstract and system demonstration),” in Graph Drawing, R. Tamassia and I. Tollis, Eds., vol. 894 of Lecture Notes in Computer Science, pp. 388–403, Springer, Berlin, Germany, 1995.
- E. M. Reingold and J. S. Tilford, “Tidier drawings of trees,” IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering, vol. SE-7, no. 2, pp. 223–228, 1981.
- S. Grivet, D. Auber, J. P. Domenger, and G. Melancon, “Bubble tree drawing algorithm,” in Computer Vision and Graphics, K. Wojciechowski, B. Smolka, H. Palus, R. Kozera, W. Skarbek, and L. Noakes, Eds., vol. 32 of Computational Imaging and Vision, pp. 633–641, Springer, Dordrecht, The Netherlands, 2006.
- T. Hruz, O. Laule, G. Szabo et al., “Genevestigator v3: a reference expression database for the meta-analysis of transcriptomes,” Advances in Bioinformatics, vol. 2008, Article ID 420747, 5 pages, 2008.
- T. Asami, Y. K. Min, K. Sekimata et al., “Mode of action of brassinazole: a specific inhibitor of brassinosteroid biosynthesis,” ACS Symposium Series, vol. 774, pp. 269–280, 2001.
- J.-X. He, J. M. Gendron, Y. Yang, J. Li, and Z.-Y. Wang, “The GSK3-like kinase BIN2 phosphorylates and destabilizes BZR1, a positive regulator of the brassinosteroid signaling pathway in Arabidopsis,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 99, no. 15, pp. 10185–10190, 2002.
- K. J. Halliday, “Plant hormones: the interplay of brassinosteroids and auxin,” Current Biology, vol. 14, no. 23, pp. R1008–R1010, 2004.
- K. Y. Yip, R. P. Alexander, K.-K. Yan, and M. Gerstein, “Improved reconstruction of in silico gene regulatory networks by integrating knockout and perturbation data,” PLoS ONE, vol. 5, no. 1, Article ID e8121, 2010.
- M. Mutwil, B. Usadel, M. Schütte, A. Loraine, O. Ebenhöh, and S. Persson, “Assembly of an interactive correlation network for the Arabidopsis genome using a novel Heuristic Clustering Algorithm,” Plant Physiology, vol. 152, no. 1, pp. 29–43, 2010.
- D. Marbach, R. J. Prill, T. Schaffter, C. Mattiussi, D. Floreano, and G. Stolovitzky, “Revealing strengths and weaknesses of methods for gene network inference,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 107, no. 14, pp. 6286–6291, 2010.
- S. De Bodt, S. Proost, K. Vandepoele, P. Rouzé, and Y. Van de Peer, “Predicting protein-protein interactions in Arabidopsis thaliana through integration of orthology, gene ontology and co-expression,” BMC genomics, vol. 10, p. 288, 2009.
- D. R. Rhodes, S. A. Tomlins, S. Varambally et al., “Probabilistic model of the human protein-protein interaction network,” Nature Biotechnology, vol. 23, no. 8, pp. 951–959, 2005.
- A. de la Fuente, N. Bing, I. Hoeschele, and P. Mendes, “Discovery of meaningful associations in genomic data using partial correlation coefficients,” Bioinformatics, vol. 20, no. 18, pp. 3565–3574, 2004.
- J.-F. Rual, K. Venkatesan, T. Hao et al., “Towards a proteome-scale map of the human protein-protein interaction network,” Nature, vol. 437, no. 7062, pp. 1173–1178, 2005.
- K. Ishii, T. Washio, T. Uechi, M. Yoshihama, N. Kenmochi, and M. Tomita, “Characteristics and clustering of human ribosomal protein genes,” BMC Genomics, vol. 7, article 37, 2006.
- O. Atias, B. Chor, and D. A. Chamovitz, “Large-scale analysis of Arabidopsis transcription reveals a basal co-regulation network,” BMC Systems Biology, vol. 3, p. 86, 2009.
- R. Bourqui, D. Auber, and P. Mary, “How to draw clustered weighted graphs using a multilevel force-directed graph drawing algorithm,” in Proceedings of the 11th International Conference Information Visualization (IV '07), pp. 757–764, July 2007.
- B. Kaba, N. Pinet, G. Lelandais, A. Sigayret, and A. Berry, “Clustering gene expression data using graph separators,” In Silico Biology, vol. 7, no. 4-5, pp. 433–452, 2007.