- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Advances in Civil Engineering
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 172634, 11 pages
Effects of Fiber Finish on the Performance of Asphalt Binders and Mastics
Glenn Department of Civil Engineering, Clemson University, 109 Lowry Hall, Clemson, SC 29634, USA
Received 26 July 2011; Accepted 20 September 2011
Academic Editor: Serji N. Amirkhanian
Copyright © 2011 Bradley J. Putman. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. H. Kietzman, Effect of Short Asbestos Fibers on Basic Physical Properties of Asphalt Pavement Mixes, Highway Research Board Bulletin, no. 270, National Research Council, Washington, DC, USA, 1960.
- J. H. Kietzman, M. W. Blackhurst, and J. A. Foxwell, Performance of Asbestos-Asphalt Pavement Surface Courses with High Asphalt Contents, Highway Research Record, no. 24, National Research Council, Washington, DC, USA, 1963.
- G. H. Zuehlke, Marshall and Flexural Properties of Bituminous Pavement Mixtures Containing Short Asbestos Fibers, Highway Research Record, no. 24, National Research Council, Washington, DC, USA, 1963.
- T. L. Speer and J. H. Kietzman, Control of Asphalt Pavement Rutting with Asbestos Fiber, Highway Research Record, no. 329, National Research Council, Washington, DC, USA, 1962.
- H. W. Busching and J. D. Antrim, “Fiber reinforcement of bituminous mixtures,” in Proceedings of the Association of Asphalt Paving Technologists, vol. 37, pp. 629–659, 1968.
- B. P. Martinez and J. E. Wilson, “Polyester fibers replace asbestos in bridge deck membranes,” Public Works, vol. 110, no. 6, 1979.
- R. B. Freeman, J. L. Burati, S. N. Amirkhanian, and W. C. Bridges, “Polyester fibers in asphalt paving mixtures,” Journal of the Association of Asphalt Paving Technologists, vol. 58, pp. 387–409, 1989.
- D. A. Maurer and G. J. Malasheskie, Field Performance of Fabrics and Fibers to Retard Reflective Cracking, Transportation Research Record, no. 1248, National Research Council, Washington, DC, USA, 1989.
- Y. Jiang and R. S. McDaniel, Application of Cracking and Seating and Use of Fibers to Control Reflective Cracking, Transportation Research Record, no. 1388, National Research Council, Washington, DC, USA, 1993.
- B. D. Prowell, “Design construction, and early performance of hot-mix asphalt stabilizer and modifier test sections interim report,” Virginia Transportation Research Council, Interim Report VTRC 00-IR2, Charlottesville, VA, USA, 2000.
- Y. Decoene, Contribution of Cellulose Fibers to the Performance of Porous Asphalts, Transportation Research Record, no. 1265, National Research Council, Washington, DC, USA, 1990.
- P. V. Peltonen, “Characterization and testing of fibre-modified bitumen composites,” Journal of Materials Science, vol. 26, no. 20, pp. 5618–5622, 1991.
- L. A. Cooley, E. R. Brown, and D. E. Watson, “Evaluation of OGFC mixtures containing cellulose fibers,” NCAT Report 2000-05, National Center for Asphalt Technology, Auburn, Ala, USA, 2000.
- E. R. Brown, J. E. Haddock, R. B. Mallick, and T. A. Lynn, “Development of a mixture design procedure for stone matrix asphalt (SMA),” NCAT Report 97-3, National Center for Asphalt Technology, Auburn, Ala, USA, 1997.
- K. D. Stuart and P. Malmquist, Evaluation of using different stabilizers in the U.S. route 15 (Maryland) stone matrix asphalt, Transportation Research Record, no. 1454, National Research Council, Washington, DC, USA, 1994.
- B. J. Putman and S. N. Amirkhanian, “Utilization of waste fibers in stone matrix asphalt mixtures,” Resources, Conservation and Recycling, vol. 42, no. 3, pp. 265–274, 2004.
- J. P. Serfass and J. Samanos, “Fiber-modified asphalt concrete characteristics, applications and behavior,” in Proceedings of the Association of Asphalt Paving Technologies, vol. 65, pp. 193–230, March 1996.
- J. M. Keith, “Dispersion of synthetic fibre for wet-lay nonwovens,” Tappi Journal, vol. 77, no. 6, pp. 207–210, 1994.
- B. J. Putman and S. N. Amirkhanian, “Characterization of the interaction effect of crumb rubber modified binders using HP-GPC,” Journal of Materials in Civil Engineering, vol. 22, no. 2, pp. 153–159, 2010.
- S. N. Amirkhanian and K. W. Kim, “Rutting index prediction of rubber-modified binder using HP-GPC,” in Proceedings of the 5th International Conference on Road and Airfield Pavement Technology, Korean Society of Road Engineers, Seoul, Korea, 2005.
- H. I. Al-Abdul Wahhab, I. M. Asi, F. M. AliAl-Dubabi, I.A., and I. A. Al-Dubabi, “Prediction of asphalt rheological properties using HP-GPC,” Journal of Materials in Civil Engineering, vol. 11, no. 1, pp. 6–14, 1999.