- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Advances in Civil Engineering
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 145850, 12 pages
Strain-Based Evaluation of a Steel Through-Girder Railroad Bridge
Department of Civil Engineering, New Mexico State University, Hernandez Hall Box 30001, Las Cruces, NM 88003, USA
Received 2 December 2011; Revised 18 May 2012; Accepted 21 May 2012
Academic Editor: Husam Najm
Copyright © 2012 Andrew N. Daumueller and David V. Jáuregui. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. Al-Emrani and R. Kliger, “FE analysis of stringer-to-floor-beam connections in riveted railway bridges,” Journal of Constructional Steel Research, vol. 59, no. 7, pp. 803–818, 2003.
- L. A. Yang, W. Powrie, and J. A. Priest, “Dynamic stress analysis of a ballasted railway track bed during train passage,” Journal of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering, vol. 135, no. 5, pp. 680–689, 2009.
- C. M. Kuo and C. H. Huang, “Two approaches of finite-element modeling of ballasted railway track,” Journal of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering, vol. 135, no. 3, pp. 455–458, 2009.
- P. C. Paris, M. P. Gomez, and M. E. Anderson, “A rational analytical theory of Fatigue,” Trends in Engineering, vol. 13, pp. 9–14, 1961.
- AASHTO, LRFD Bridge Design Specifications, American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials, Washington, DC, USA, 5th edition, 2010.
- AREMA, Manual for Railway Engineering, American Railway Engineering and Maintenance-of-Way Association, Lanham, Md, USA, 2007.
- A. Palmgren, “Die Lebensdauer von Kugellagern. (The life of roller bearings),” Zeitschrift des Vereines Deutscher Ingenieure, vol. 68, no. 14, pp. 339–341, 1924 (German).
- M. A. Miner, “Cumulative damage in fatigue,” ASME Journal of Applied Mechanics, vol. 12, no. 3, pp. A159–A1964, 1945.
- H. Agerskov, “Fatigue in steel structures under random loading,” Journal of Constructional Steel Research, vol. 53, no. 3, pp. 283–305, 2000.
- Federal Register, “Bridge safety standards,” vol. 75, no. 135, 2010.
- SAP2000 Version 14.2.2, Computers and Structures, Berkely, Calif, USA, 2010.
- A. Daumueller and D. Jauregui, “Development of a structural health monitoring system for the assessment of critical transportation infrastructure,” Tech. Rep. Sand2012-0886, Sandia National Laboratories, Department of Energy, February 2012.
- BDI, Structural Testing System II Operation Manual, Bridge Diagnostics, Boulder, Colo, USA, 2005.
- S. M. Dick, Bending moment approximation for use in fatigue life evaluation of steel railway girder bridges [Ph.D. thesis], Department of Civil, Environmental and Architectural Engineering, University of Kansas, Lawrence, Kan, USA, 2002.
- MotivePower, “MPX Commuter Locomotive,” Locomotives, 2010, http://www.motivepower-wabtec.com/locomotives/commuter/mpxpress.php.
- A. Niesłony, “Determination of fragments of multiaxial service loading strongly influencing the fatigue of machine components,” Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing, vol. 23, no. 8, pp. 2712–2721, 2009.
- MATLAB R2010b, The MathWorks, Natick, Mass, USA, 2010.
- A. Daumueller, Strain-based evaluation of a riveted steel railroad bridge [Ph.D. dissertation], New Mexico State University, Las Cruces, NM, USA, 2012.