- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Advances in Civil Engineering
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 153123, 9 pages
Electrokinetic Treatment for Model Caissons with Increasing Dimensions
Department of Civil Engineering, Lakehead University, 955 Oliver Road, Thunder Bay, ON, Canada P7B 5W2
Received 24 September 2012; Accepted 16 November 2012
Academic Editor: Jean-Herve Prevost
Copyright © 2012 Eltayeb Mohamedelhassan et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. I. Esrig, “Pore pressure, consolidation and electrokinetics,” Journal of the Soil Mechanics and Foundations Division, vol. 94, no. 4, pp. 899–921, 1968.
- S. Micic, J. Q. Shang, and K. Y. Lo, “Electrocementation of a marine clay induced by electrokinetics,” International Journal of Offshore and Polar Engineering, vol. 13, no. 4, pp. 308–315, 2003.
- J. Q. Shang, “Electrokinetic dewatering of clay slurries as engineered soil covers,” Canadian Geotechnical Journal, vol. 34, no. 1, pp. 78–86, 1997.
- L. Casagrande, “Electroosmosis in soil,” Géotechnique, vol. 1, no. 3, pp. 159–177, 1949.
- L. Casagrande, “Electro-osmosis stabilization of soils,” Journal of the Boston Society of Civil Engineers, vol. 39, no. 1, pp. 51–83, 1983.
- J. Q. Shang and K. S. Ho, “Electro-osmotic consolidation behavior of two Ontario clays,” Geotechnical Engineering, vol. 29, no. 2, pp. 181–194, 1998.
- S. Micic, J. Q. Shang, K. Y. Lo, Y. N. Lee, and S. W. Lee, “Electrokinetic strengthening of a marine sediment using intermittent current,” Canadian Geotechnical Journal, vol. 38, no. 2, pp. 287–302, 2001.
- L. Bjerrum, J. Moun, and O. Eide, “Application of electroosmosis to a foundation problem in a Norwegian quick clay,” Géotechnique, vol. 17, no. 3, pp. 214–235, 1967.
- K. Y. Lo, K. S. Ho, and I. I. Inculet, “Field test of electroosmotic strengthening of soft sensitive clay,” Canadian Geotechnical Journal, vol. 28, no. 1, pp. 74–83, 1991.
- F. Burnotte, G. Lefebvre, and G. Grondin, “A case record of electroosmotic consolidation of soft clay with improved soil-electrode contact,” Canadian Geotechnical Journal, vol. 41, no. 6, pp. 1038–1053, 2004.
- V. Milligan, “First application of electro-osmosis to improve friction pile capacity—three decades later,” Proceedings of the ICE: Geotechnical Engineering, vol. 113, no. 2, pp. 112–116, 1995.
- W. Perry, “Electro-osmosis dewaters large foundation excavation,” Construction Methods and Equipment, vol. 45, no. 9, pp. 116–119, 1963.
- ASTM, “Standard test method for particle-size Analysis of soils,” Annual Book of ASTM Standards—Construction D422-63, ASTM, West Conshohocken, Pa, USA, 2007.
- ASTM, “Standard test methods for liquid limit, plastic limit, and plasticity index of soils,” Annual Book of ASTM Standards—Construction D4318-10, ASTM, West Conshohocken, Pa, USA, 2007.
- J. B. Burland, “On the compressibility and shear strength of natural clays,” Géotechnique, vol. 40, no. 3, pp. 329–378, 1990.
- ASTM, “Standard method for field measurement of soil resistivity using the wenner-four electrode method,” Annual Book of ASTM Standards—Construction G57-06, ASTM, West Conshohocken, Pa, USA, 2006.
- Tera Analysis Ltd, “QuickField,” Knasterhovvej 21, DK-5700, Svendborg, Denmark, 2011.
- R. H. Sprute and D. J. Kelsh, Limited Field Tests in Electrokinetic Densification of Mill Tailings, vol. 8034, U.S. Department of Interior, United States Bureau of Mines Report of Investigations, Washington, DC, USA, 1975.
- E. Mohamedelhassan and J. Q. Shang, “Effects of electrode materials and current intermittence in electro-osmosis,” Ground Improvement, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 3–11, 2001.
- B. Narasimhan and R. Sri Ranjan, “Electrokinetic barrier to prevent subsurface contaminant migration: theoretical model development and validation,” Journal of Contaminant Hydrology, vol. 42, no. 1, pp. 1–17, 2000.
- E. Mohamedelhassan and J. Q. Shang, “Electrokinetics-generated pore fluid and ionic transport in an offshore calcareous soil,” Canadian Geotechnical Journal, vol. 40, no. 6, pp. 1185–1199, 2003.
- K. Tani and W. H. Craig, “Bearing capacity of circular foundations on soft clay of strength increasing with depth,” Soils and Foundations, vol. 35, no. 4, pp. 21–35, 1995.