- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Advances in Civil Engineering
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 267584, 10 pages
Pounding Effects in Simply Supported Bridges Accounting for Spatial Variability of Ground Motion: A Case Study
Department of Structural and Transportation Engineering, University of Padova, Via Marzolo 9, 35131 Padova, Italy
Received 2 January 2012; Accepted 24 March 2012
Academic Editor: Sami W. Tabsh
Copyright © 2012 G. Tecchio et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. Lupoi, P. Franchin, P. E. Pinto, and G. Monti, “Seismic design of bridges accounting for spatial variability of ground motion,” Earthquake Engineering and Structural Dynamics, vol. 34, no. 4-5, pp. 327–348, 2005.
- G. Deodatis, “Non-stationary stochastic vector processes: seismic ground motion applications,” Probabilistic Engineering Mechanics, vol. 11, no. 3, pp. 149–167, 1996.
- M. Shinozuka and G. I. Schueller, “Stocastic fields and their digital simulation,” in Stochastic Methods in Structural Dynamics, G. I. Schueller and M. Shinozuka, Eds., pp. 93–133, Martinus Nijhoff, Dordrecht, The Netherdands, 1987.
- M. Shinozuka and G. Deodatis, “Simulation of multi-dimensional Gaussian stochastic fields by spectral representation,” Applied Mechanics Reviews, vol. 44, no. 4, pp. 191–204, 1991.
- R. W. Clough and J. Penzien, Dynamics of Structures, McGraw Hill, New York, NY, USA, 1993, International Edition.
- UNI ENV 1998-2, “Eurocode 8—design provisions for earthquake resistance of structures—part 2,” Bridges, 1998.
- A. Der Kiureghian, “A coherency model for spatially varying ground motions,” Earthquake Engineering and Structural Dynamics, vol. 25, no. 1, pp. 99–111, 1996.
- H. Hao, C. S. Oliveira, and J. Penzien, “Multiple-station ground motion processing and simulation based on smart-1 array data,” Nuclear Engineering and Design, vol. 111, no. 3, pp. 293–310, 1989.
- R. S. Harichandran and E. H. Vanmarcke, “Stochastic variation of earthquake ground motion in space and time,” ASCE Journal of Engineering Mechanics, vol. 112, no. 2, pp. 154–174, 1986.
- J. E. Luco and H. L. Wong, “Response of a rigid foundation to a spatially random round motion,” Earthquake Engineering and Structural Dynamics, vol. 14, no. 6, pp. 891–908, 1986.
- S. A. Anagnostopoulos, “Pounding of buildings in series during earthquakes,” Earthquake Engineering and Structural Dynamics, vol. 16, no. 3, pp. 443–456, 1988.
- B. F. Maison and K. Kasai, “Dynamics of pounding when two buildings collide,” Earthquake Engineering and Structural Dynamics, vol. 21, no. 9, pp. 771–786, 1992.
- R. Jankowski, K. Wilde, and Y. Fujino, “Pounding of superstructure segments in isolated elevated bridge during earthquakes,” Earthquake Engineering and Structural Dynamics, vol. 27, no. 5, pp. 487–502, 1998.
- K. Kawashima and Watanabe G., “Numerical simulation of pounding of bridge decks,” in Proceedings of the 13th World Conference on Earthquake Engineering Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada, August 2004, Paper no.884.
- G. Zanardo, H. Hao, and C. Modena, “Seismic response of multi-span simply supported bridges to a spatially varying earthquake ground motion,” Earthquake Engineering and Structural Dynamics, vol. 31, no. 6, pp. 1325–1345, 2002.
- Ordinance of the Presidency of the Council of Ministers 3431, “Initial elements on the general criteria for classifying national seismic zones and technical standards for construction,” Official Gazette of the Italian Republic, 2003.
- T. Takeda, A. M. Sozen, and N. N. Nielsen, “Reinforced concrete response to simulate earthquakes,” ASCE Journal of Structural Engineering Division, vol. 96, no. 12, pp. 2257–2273, 1970.
- Computers & Structures Inc., “CSI SAP2000 release 9,” Berkeley Calif, USA, 2004.
- E. L. Wilson, M. W. Yuan, and J. M. Dickens, “Dynamic Analysis by direct superposition of Ritz vectors,” Earthquake Engineering and Structural Dynamics, vol. 10, no. 6, pp. 813–821, 1982.
- R. Jankowski, K. Wilde, and Y. Fujino, “Reduction of effects in elevated bridges during earthquakes,” Earthquake Engineering & Strucutral Dynamics, vol. 29, pp. 195–212, 2000.