- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Advances in Civil Engineering
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 307515, 9 pages
Implementation of a Probabilistic Structural Health Monitoring Method on a Highway Bridge
Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, University of Connecticut, Storrs, Connecticut 06269-2037, USA
Received 30 June 2011; Revised 25 October 2011; Accepted 29 December 2011
Academic Editor: Piervincenzo Rizzo
Copyright © 2012 Adam Scianna et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- S. W. Doebling, C. R. Farrar, M. B. Prime, and D. W. Shevitz, “Damage identification and health monitoring of structural and mechanical systems from changes in their vibration characteristics: a literature review,” Report LA-I3070-MS, Los Alamos National Laboratory, Los Alamos, NM, USA, 1996.
- S. W. Doebling, F. M. Hemez, L. D. Peterson, and C. Farhat, “Improved damage location accuracy using strain energy-based mode selection criteria,” AIAA Journal, vol. 35, no. 4, pp. 693–699, 1997.
- S. W. Doebling, C. R. Farrar, M. B. Prime, and D. W. Shevitz, “A review of damage identification methods that examine changes in dynamic properties,” Shock and Vibration Digest, vol. 30, no. 2, pp. 91–105, 1998.
- F. K. Chang, Structural Health Monitoring: Current Status and Perspectives, Technomic, Lancaster, Pa, USA, 1997.
- S. B. Chase and G. Washer, “Nondestructive evaluation for bridge management in the next century,” Public Roads, vol. 61, no. 1, pp. 16–25, 1997.
- L. D. Olson and C. C. Wright, “Nondestructive testing for repair and rehabilitation,” Concrete International, vol. 12, no. 3, pp. 58–64, 1990.
- C. R. Farrar, W. B. Baker, T. M. Bell, et al., “Dynamic characterization and damage detection in the I-40 bridge over the Rio Grande,” Report LA-12767-MS UC-906, Los Alamos National Laboratory, Los Alamos, NM, USA, June 1994.
- A. Chakraborty and D. Okaya, “Frequency-time decomposition of seismic data using wavelet-based methods,” Geophysics, vol. 60, no. 6, pp. 1906–1916, 1995.
- O. S. Salawu and C. Williams, “Bridge assessment using forced-vibration testing,” Journal of Structural Engineering, vol. 121, no. 2, pp. 161–173, 1995.
- C. R. Farrar and S. W. Doebling, “Lessons learned from applications of vibration based damage identification methods to large bridge structure,” in Structural Health Monitoring: Current Status and Perspectives, F. K. Chang, Ed., pp. 351–370, Technomic Publishing, Lancaster, Pa, USA, 1997.
- O. S. Salawu, “Detection of structural damage through changes in frequency: a review,” Engineering Structures, vol. 19, no. 9, pp. 718–723, 1997.
- C. R. Farrar, S. W. Doebling, and D. A. Nix, “Vibration-based structural damage identification,” Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society A, vol. 359, no. 1778, pp. 131–149, 2001.
- J. Caicedo, S. J. Dyke, and E. A. Johnson, “Health monitoring based on component transfer functions,” in Advances in Structural Dynamics, J. M. Ko and Y. L. Xu, Eds., vol. 2, pp. 997–1004, 2000.
- F. K. Chang, Structural Health Monitoring 2000, Technomic, Lancaster, Pa, USA, 2000.
- H. Sohn, Charles R. Farrar, Michael L. Fugate, and Jerry J. Czarnecki, “Structural health monitoring of welded connections,” in Proceedings of the 1st International Conference on Steel & Composite Structures, Pusan, Korea, June 2001.
- H. Sohn, M. Dzwonczyk, E. G. Straser, A. S. Kiremidjian, K. H. Law, and T. Meng, “An experimental study of temperature effect on modal parameters of the Alamosa Canyon Bridge,” Earthquake Engineering and Structural Dynamics, vol. 28, no. 7-8, pp. 879–897, 1999.
- J. T. Dewolf, M. P. Culmo, and R. G. Lauzon, “Connecticut's bridge infrastructure monitoring program for assessment,” Journal of Infrastructure Systems, vol. 4, no. 2, pp. 86–90, 1998.
- DeWolf and T. John, “Structural health monitoring of three bridges in connecticut,” in Proceedings of the 88th Annual Meeting Transportation Research Board Annual Meeting (TRB '09), 2009.
- R. G. Lauzon and J. T. DeWolf, “Connecticut's bridge monitoring program: making important connections last,” TR News, no. 224, p. 46, 2003.
- J. Olund and J. DeWolf, “Passive structural health monitoring of Connecticut's bridge infrastructure,” Journal of Infrastructure Systems, vol. 13, no. 4, pp. 330–339, 2007.
- C. Liu and J. T. DeWolf, “Effect of temperature on modal variability of a curved concrete bridge under ambient loads,” Journal of Structural Engineering, vol. 133, no. 12, pp. 1742–1751, 2007.
- J. Olund, Long term structural health monitoring of Connecticut's bridge infrastructure with a focus on a composite steel tub-girder bridge, M.S. thesis, The University of Connecticut, Storrs, Conn, USA, 2006.
- A. Rytter, Vibration based inspection of civil engineering structures, Ph.D. thesis, Aalborg University, Aalborg, Denmark, 1993.
- Q. W. Zhang, “Statistical damage identification for bridges using ambient vibration data,” Computers and Structures, vol. 85, no. 7-8, pp. 476–485, 2007.
- C. Virkler, Continuous structural monitoring coupled with finite element modeling for a composite steel box girder building, M.S. thesis, The University of Connecticut, Storrs, Conn, USA, 2005.
- A. M. Scianna and R. Christenson, “Probabilistic structural health monitoring method applied to the bridge health monitoring benchmark problem,” Transportation Research Record, no. 2131, pp. 92–97, 2009.
- A. H.-S. Ang and W. H. Tang, Probability Concepts in Engineering Planning and Design, Basic Principles, vol. 1, John Wiley & Sons, New York, NY, USA, 1975.
- J. S. Bendat and A. G. Piersol, Random Data Analysis and Measurement Procedures, Probability and Statistics, John Wiley & Sons, New York, NY, USA, 3rd edition, 2000.
- Z. Jiang, The use of NEES cyberinfrastructure in structural health monitoring and earthquake education, M.S. thesis, The University of Connecticut, Storrs, Conn, USA, 2008.
- Data Turbine: http://www.dataturbine.org/.