- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Advances in Civil Engineering
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 625395, 10 pages
Simplified Transient Hot-Wire Method for Effective Thermal Conductivity Measurement in Geo Materials: Microstructure and Saturation Effect
1HYDRASA Laboratory, UMR 6269, Poitiers ENSIP, 40, Avenue du Recteur Pineau, 86022 Poitiers, France
2Etude Recherches Matériaux, 4, rue Carol Heitz-Bat B, Centre Régional d'Innovation du Biopôle, 86000 Poitiers, France
3Equipe Electrofluidique, PPRIMME Institut, University of Poitiers, ENSIP, 40, Avenue du Recteur Pineau, 86022 Poitiers, France
Received 5 August 2011; Revised 4 January 2012; Accepted 16 February 2012
Academic Editor: Jean-Herve Prevost
Copyright © 2012 B. Merckx et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. J. Assael, K. D. Antoniadis, and W. A. Wakeham, “Historical evolution of the transient hot-wire technique,” International Journal of Thermophysics, vol. 31, no. 6, pp. 1051–1072, 2010.
- J. J. Healy, J. J. de Groot, and J. Kestin, “The theory of the transient hot-wire method for measuring thermal conductivity,” Physica B+C, vol. 82, no. 2, pp. 392–408, 1976.
- “Measurement of the transport properties of fluids,” in Experimental Thermodynamics, W. A. Wakeham, A. Nagashima, and J. V. Sengers, Eds., vol. 3, Blackwell Scientific Publications, London, UK, 1991.
- M. J. Assael, K. D. Antoniadis, and J. Wu, “New measurements of the thermal conductivity of PMMA, BK7, and Pyrex 7740 up to 450K,” International Journal of Thermophysics, vol. 29, no. 4, pp. 1257–1266, 2008.
- M. J. Assael, K. D. Antoniadis, K. E. Kakosimos, and I. N. Metaxa, “An improved application of the transient hot-wire technique for the absolute accurate measurement of the thermal conductivity of pyroceram 9606 up to 420 K,” International Journal of Thermophysics, vol. 29, no. 2, pp. 445–456, 2008.
- M. L. V. Ramires, J. M. N. A. Fareleira, C. A. Nieto de Castro, M. Dix, and W. A. Wakeham, “The thermal conductivity of toluene and water,” International Journal of Thermophysics, vol. 14, no. 6, pp. 1119–1130, 1993.
- J. R. Parsons Jr. and J. C. Mulligan, “Measurement of the properties of liquids and gases using a transient hot-wire technique,” Review of Scientific Instruments, vol. 49, no. 10, pp. 1460–1463, 1978.
- C. A. Nieto De Castro, J. C. G. Calado, W. A. Wakeham, and M. Dix, “An apparatus to measure the thermal conductivity of liquids,” Journal of Physics E, vol. 9, no. 12, article 020, pp. 1073–1080, 1976.
- R. A. Perkins, M. L. V. Ramires, and C. A. Nieto De Castro, “Thermal conductivity of saturated liquid toluene by use of anodized tantalum hot wires at high temperatures,” Journal of Research of the National Institute of Standards and Technology, vol. 105, no. 2, pp. 255–265, 2000.
- R. A. Perkins, M. L. V. Ramires, C. A. Nieto de Castro, and L. Cusco, “Measurement and correlation of the thermal conductivity of butane from 135 K to 600 K at pressures to 70 MPa,” Journal of Chemical and Engineering Data, vol. 47, no. 5, pp. 1263–1271, 2002.
- G. Thevenot, J. Saillard, J. P. Maye, and J. P. Garnier, “Cellule de mesure de la conductivité et de la diffusivité thermiques d’un fluide et sonde pour cette cellule,” European Patent Office. EP 1724572 A1, 2006.
- A. Alloush, W. B. Gosney, and W. A. Wakeham, “A transient hot-wire instrument for thermal conductivity measurements in electrically conducting liquids at elevated temperatures,” International Journal of Thermophysics, vol. 3, no. 3, pp. 225–235, 1982.
- Y. Nagasaka and A. Nagashima, “Absolute measurement of the thermal conductivity of electrically conducting liquids by the transient hot-wire method,” Journal of Physics E, vol. 14, no. 12, pp. 1435–1440, 1981.
- J. P. Garnier, J. P. Maye, J. Saillard, G. Thévenot, A. Kadjo, and S. Martemianov, “A new transient hot-wire instrument for measuring the thermal conductivity of electrically conducting and highly corrosive liquids using small samples,” International Journal of Thermophysics, vol. 29, no. 2, pp. 468–482, 2008.
- A. Kadjo, J. P. Garnier, J. P. Maye, and S. Martemianov, “A new transient two-wire method for measuring the thermal diffusivity of electrically conducting and highly corrosive liquids using small samples,” International Journal of Thermophysics, vol. 29, no. 4, pp. 1267–1277, 2008.
- I. H. Tavman, “Effective thermal conductivity of granular porous materials,” International Communications in Heat and Mass Transfer, vol. 23, no. 2, pp. 169–176, 1996.
- J. Z. Liang and F. H. Li, “Measurement of thermal conductivity of hollow glass-bead-filled polypropylene composites,” Polymer Testing, vol. 25, no. 4, pp. 527–531, 2006.
- E. E. Gonzo, “Estimating correlations for the effective thermal conductivity of granular materials,” Chemical Engineering Journal, vol. 90, no. 3, pp. 299–302, 2002.
- G. K. Batchelor and R. W. O'Brien, “Thermal or electrical conduction through a granular material,” Proceedings of the Royal Society of London Series A, vol. 355, no. 1682, pp. 313–333, 1977.
- D. Jougnot and A. Revil, “Thermal conductivity of unsaturated clay-rocks,” Hydrology and Earth System Sciences, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 91–98, 2010.
- C. Gruescu, A. Giraud, F. Homand, D. Kondo, and D. P. Do, “Effective thermal conductivity of partially saturated porous rocks,” International Journal of Solids and Structures, vol. 44, no. 3-4, pp. 811–833, 2007.
- J. P. Cull, “Thermal conductivity probes for rapid measurements in rock,” Journal of Physics E, vol. 7, no. 9, article 026, pp. 771–774, 1974.
- M. Stefanidou, M. Assael, K. Antoniadis, and G. Matziaroglou, “Thermal conductivity of building materials employed in the preservation of traditional structures,” International Journal of Thermophysics, vol. 31, no. 4-5, pp. 844–851, 2010.
- A. Bouguerra, “Temperature and moisture dependence on the thermal conductivity of wood-cement-based composite: experimental and theoretical analysis,” Journal Physics D.: Applied Physics, vol. 32, no. 21, pp. 2797–2803, 1999.
- A. Bouguerra, A. Ledhem, F. De Barquin, R. M. Dheilly, and M. Quéneudec, “Effect of microstructure on the mechanical and thermal properties of lightweight concrete prepared from clay, cement, and wood aggregates,” Cement and Concrete Research, vol. 28, no. 8, pp. 1179–1190, 1998.
- K. L. Bristow, “Measurement of thermal properties and water content of unsaturated sandy soil using dual-probe heat-pulse probes,” Agricultural and Forest Meteorology, vol. 89, no. 2, pp. 75–84, 1998.
- K. L. Bristow, G. J. Kluitenberg, C. J. Goding, and T. S. Fitzgerald, “A small multi-needle probe for measuring soil thermal properties, water content and electrical conductivity,” Computers and Electronics in Agriculture, vol. 31, no. 3, pp. 265–280, 2001.
- D. A. De Vries and A. J. Peck, “On cylindrical probe method of measuring thermal conductivity with special reference to soils,” Australian Journal of Physics, no. 11, pp. 225–271, 1958.
- H. S. Carslaw and J. C. Jaeger, Conduction of Heat in Solids, Oxford University Press, London, UK, 1959.
- A. Testu, Dispersion thermique dans des milieux granulaires: caractérisation à cœur et en proche paroi, thèse, Institut National Polytechnique de Lorraine, Nancy, 2005.
- H. Martin, “Low peclet number particle-to-fluid heat and mass transfer in packed beds,” Chemical Engineering Science, vol. 33, no. 7, pp. 913–919, 1978.
- P. G. Knibbe, “The end-effect error in the determination of thermal conductivity using a hot-wire apparatus,” International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, vol. 29, no. 3, pp. 463–473, 1986.
- M. Kohout, A. P. Collier, and F. Stepanek, “Effective thermal conductivity of wet particle assemblies,” International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, vol. 47, no. 25, pp. 5565–5574, 2004.