- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Advances in Civil Engineering
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 635257, 10 pages
Spectral Analysis of Surface Wave for Empirical Elastic Design of Anchored Foundations
1Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, University of North Carolina at Charlotte, Charlotte, NC 28223, USA
2Burns and McDonnell, Houston, TX 77027, USA
Received 6 July 2011; Revised 17 November 2011; Accepted 19 November 2011
Academic Editor: E. J. Sapountzakis
Copyright © 2012 S. E. Chen and C. K. Ong. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- R. O. Davis and A. P. S. Selvadurai, Elasticity and Geomechanics, Cambridge University Press, New York, NY, USA, 1996.
- A. P. S. Selvadurai, “The analytical method in geomechanics,” Applied Mechanics Reviews, vol. 60, no. 3, pp. 87–106, 2007.
- N. Delatte and J. G. Hightower, “Feasibility study of improving the field prediction of helical anchor capacity,” Tech. Rep., Alabama Power, Birmingham, Ala, USA, 1999.
- A.B. Chance Company, Encyclopedia of Anchoring, Hubbell/Chance, Centralia, Mo, USA, 1999.
- S. Nazarian, K. H. Stokoe II, and W. R. Hudson, “Use of spectral analysis of surface waves method for determination of moduli and thicknesses of pavement systems,” Transportation Research Record, no. 930, pp. 38–45, 1983.
- R. D. Andrus and K. H. Stokoe II, “A liquefaction evaluation procedure based on shear wave velocity,” in Proceedings of the 31st Joint Meeting of the U.S.-Japan Cooperative Program in Natural Resources Panel on Wind and Seismic Effects, pp. 469–474, Tsukuba, Japan, May 1999.
- N. Gucunski and R. D. Woods, “Instrumentation for SASW testing,” Geotechnical Special Publication, no. 29, pp. 1–16, 1991.
- S. Nazarian, M. Baker, D. Yuan, and K. Crain, “User-friendly surface wave method for integrity evaluation,” in Nondestructive Evaluation of Aging Structures and Dams, vol. 2457 of Proceedings of SPIE, pp. 89–100, June 1995.
- K. H. Stokoe II, J. A. Bay, R. D. Andrus, and R. M. Chung, “Delineation of densified sand at treasure island by SASW testing,” in Geotechnical Site Characterization, P. K. Robertson and P. W. Mayne, Eds., pp. 459–464, Balkema, Rotterdam, The Netherlands, 1998.
- K. H. Stokoe II, S. G. Wright, J. A. Bay, and J. M. Roesset, “Characterization of geotechnical sites by SASW method,” in Proceedings of the 13th International Conference on Soil Mechanic and Foundation Engineering, Technical Report: Geophysical Characterization Of Sites, New Delhi, India, January 1994.
- D. S. Kim, M.-K. Shin, and H. C. Park, “Evaluation of density in layer compaction using SASW method,” Soil Dynamics and Earthquake Engineering, vol. 21, no. 1, pp. 39–46, 2001.
- M. C. Matthews, V. S. Hope, and C. R. I. Clayton, “The geotechnical value of ground stiffness determined using seismic methods,” Engineering Geology Special Publications, vol. 12, pp. 113–123, 1997.
- R. D. Andrus, P. Piratheepan, B. S. Ellis, J. Zhang, and C. H. Juang, “Comparing liquefaction evaluation methods using penetration-VS relationships,” Soil Dynamics and Earthquake Engineering, vol. 24, no. 9-10, pp. 713–721, 2004.
- H. Niroumand and K. A. Kassim, “Experimental study of horizontal anchor plates in cohesionless soils,” Electronic Journal of Geotechnical Engineering, vol. 15, pp. 609–620, 2010.
- C. K. Ong, S. E. Chen, C. Galloway, and N. Delatte, “Correlating spectral analysis of surface waves (SASW) technique to anchor holding capacity,” in Proceedings of the Structural Materials Conference V—An NDT Conference, ASNT, Buffalo, NY, USA, 2004.
- J. I. Adams and D. C. Hayes, “The uplift capacity of shallow foundations,” Ontario Hydro Research Quarterly, vol. 19, no. 1, pp. 1–13, 1967.
- Dames and Moore, “Pullout tests on multi-helix screw anchors,” Report, Virginia Electric Power Company, Shacklefords, Va, USA, 1980.
- S. P. Clemence, The Uplift and Bearing Capacity of Helix Anchors in Soil, Vols. 1, 2 and 3, Syracuse University, Syracuse, 1984.
- J. S. Mooney, S. Adamczak, and S. P. Clemence, “Uplift capacity of helical anchors in clay and silt,” in Uplift Behavior of Anchor Foundations in Soil, pp. 48–72, ASCE, New York, NY, USA, 1985.
- B. M. Das, “A procedure for estimation of ultimate capacity of foundations in clay,” Soils and Foundations, vol. 20, no. 1, pp. 77–82, 1980.
- B. M. Das, Earth Anchors, Elsevier, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, 1990.
- H. Niroumand, K. A. Kassim, and R. Nazir, “Experimental studies on horizontal anchor plates in cohesive soil,” Electronic Journal of Geotechnical Engineering, vol. 15, pp. 879–886, 2010.
- R. M. Hoyt and S. P. Clemence, “Uplift capacity of helical anchors in soils,” Bulletin 02-9001, AB Chance, Centralia, 1989.
- J. Bay, Site Characterization Using the Spectral Analysis Of Surface Waves (SASW) Method, Lecture notes, Two-Day SASW Short Course, University of Alabama, Birmingham, Ala, USA, 2002.
- C. G. Lai and K. Wilmanski, Surface Waves in Geomechanics: Direct and Inverse Modelling for Soils and Rocks, Springer, New York, NY, USA, 2005.
- F. H. Kullhawy, “Uplift behavior of shallow soil anchor,” in Uplift Behavior of Anchor Foundations in Soil, S. P. Clemence, Ed., pp. 1–25, ASCE, New York, NY, USA, 1985.
- S. E. Chen, C. K. Ong, C. K. Galloway, and N. Delatte, “Applications of surface wave testing for stability determination of earth-bound structures,” Experimental Techniques, vol. 31, no. 4, pp. 20–24, 2007.