- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Advances in Civil Engineering
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 813281, 14 pages
Structural Health Monitoring of Steel Pipes under Different Boundary Conditions and Choice of Signal Processing Techniques
1Department of Civil & Environmental Engineering, University of Connecticut, Storrs, CT 06269, USA
2Department of Civil Engineering & Engineering Mechanics, University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ 85721, USA
Received 20 September 2011; Accepted 24 January 2012
Academic Editor: Piervincenzo Rizzo
Copyright © 2012 Rais Ahmad and Tribikram Kundu. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- D. Z. Gazis, “Three dimensional investigation of propagation of waves in hollow circular cylinders. I. Analytical foundation,” Journal of Acoustical Society of America, vol. 31, no. 5, pp. 568–573, 1959.
- D. Z. Gazis, “Three dimensional investigation of propagation of waves in hollow circular cylinders. II. Numerical results,” Journal of Acoustical Society of America, vol. 31, no. 5, pp. 573–578, 1959.
- M. G. Silk and K. F. Bainton, “The propagation in metal tubing of ultrasonic wave modes equivalent to Lamb waves,” Ultrasonics, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 11–19, 1979.
- M. Brook, T. D. K. Ngoc, and J. Eder, “Ultrasonic inspection of stem generator tubing by chemical guided waves,” in Review of Progress in QNDE, D. O. Thomson and D. E. Chimenti, Eds., vol. 9, pp. 243–249, Plenum Press, New York, NY, USA, 1990.
- J. L. Rose, J. J. Ditri, A. Pilarski, K. Rajana, and F. Carr, “A guided wave inspection technique for nuclear steam generator tubing,” NDT & E International, vol. 27, no. 6, pp. 307–310, 1994.
- J. L. Rose, K. M. Rajana, and F. T. Carr, “Ultrasonic guided wave inspection concepts for steam generator tubing,” Materials Evaluation, vol. 52, no. 2, pp. 307–311, 1994.
- D. Guo and T. Kundu, “A new sensor for pipe inspection by Lamb waves,” Materials Evaluation, vol. 58, no. 8, pp. 991–994, 2000.
- D. Guo and T. Kundu, “A new transducer holder mechanism for pipe inspection,” Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, vol. 110, no. 1, pp. 303–309, 2001.
- W. B. Na, T. Kundu, and M. R. Ehsani, “Ultrasonic guided waves for steel bar concrete interface testing,” Materials Evaluation, vol. 60, no. 3, pp. 437–444, 2002.
- W. B. Na, T. Kundu, and M. R. Ehsani, “Lamb waves for detecting delamination between steel bars and concrete,” Computer-Aided Civil and Infrastructure Engineering, vol. 18, no. 1, pp. 58–63, 2003.
- R. Ahmad and T. Kundu, “Influence of water flow through pipe networks for damage detection using guided waves,” in Proceedings of the International Symposium on Nondestructive Testing of Materials and Structures (NDTMS '11), Also Presented in the Conference in Istanbul Turkey Istanbul, Turkey, May 2011.
- H. Cho, S. Ogawa, and M. Takemoto, “Non-contact laser ultrasonics for detecting subsurface lateral defects,” NDT & E International, vol. 29, no. 5, pp. 301–306, 1996.
- O. Rioul and M. Vetterli, “Wavelets and signal processing,” IEEE Signal Processing Magazine, vol. 8, no. 4, pp. 14–38, 1991.
- A. Abbate, J. Frankel, and P. Das, “Wavelet transform signal processing for dispersion analysis of ultrasonic signals,” in Proceedings of the IEEE Ultrasonics Symposium, pp. 751–755, November 1995.
- K. Kaya, N. M. Bilgutay, and R. Murthy, “Flaw detection in stainless steel, samples using wavelet decomposition,” in Proceedings of the IEEE Ultrasonics Symposium, pp. 1271–1274, November 1994.
- R. Ahmad, S. Banerjee, and T. Kundu, “Cylindrical guided waves for damage detection in underground pipes using wavelet transforms,” in Health Monitoring and Smart Nondestructive Evaluation of Structural and Biological Systems, T. Kundu, Ed., vol. 6177 of Proceedings of SPIE's 11th Annual International Symposium on NDE for Health Monitoring and Diagnostics, San Diego, Calif, USA, March 2006.
- R. Ahmad, S. Banerjee, and T. Kundu, “Underground pipe inspection by guided waves using wavelet analysis,” in Health Monitoring and Smart Nondestructive Evaluation of Structural and Biological Systems, T. Kundu, Ed., vol. 6177 of Proceedings of SPIE's 10th Annual International Symposium on NDE for Health Monitoring and Diagnostics, San Diego, Calif, USA, March 2005.
- R. Ahmad and T. Kundu, “Application of different continuous wavelet functions on cylindrical guided wave signals for underground pipe inspection,” in Proceedings of the 7th International Conference on Urban Earthquake Engineering (7CUEE '10) & 5th International Conference on Earthquake Engineering (5ICEE '10), Paper no. 08-446, pp. 1217–1223, Tokyo Institute of Technology, Tokyo, Japan, March 2010.
- D. Gabor, “Theory of communication,” IEEE, vol. 93, no. 3, pp. 429–457, 1947.
- M. J. Bastiaans, “Gabor's expansion of a signal into gaussian elementary signals,” Proceedings of the IEEE, vol. 68, no. 4, pp. 538–539, 1980.
- M. J. Bastiaans, “Sampling theorem for the complex spectrogram, and gabor's expansion of a signal in gaussian elementary signals,” Optical Engineering, vol. 20, no. 4, pp. 594–598, 1981.
- M. J. Bastiaans, “On the sliding-window representation in digital signal processing,” IEEE Transactions on Acoustics, Speech, and Signal Processing, vol. 33, no. 4, pp. 868–873, 1985.
- M. Murase and K. Kawashima, “Non-contact evaluation of defects in thin plate with multimode Lamb’s wave and wavelet transform,” in Proceedings of the ASME International Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exposition (IMECE '02), New Orleans, La, USA, 2002.
- R. Ahmad and T. Kundu, “Guided wave technique to detect defects in pipes using wavelet transform,” in Proceedings of the 2nd European Workshop on Structural Health Monitoring, C. Boller and W. J. Staszewski, Eds., pp. 645–652, DEStech Publications, Munich, Germany, July 2004.
- R. Ahmad, S. Banerjee, and T. Kundu, “Pipe wall damage detection in buried pipes using guided waves,” ASME Journal of Pressure Vessel Technology, vol. 131, no. 1, Article ID 011501, 10 pages, 2009.
- D. Velea, F. D. Shields, and J. M. Sabatier, “Elastic wave velocities in partially saturated ottawa sand: experimental results and modeling,” Soil Science Society of America Journal, vol. 64, no. 4, pp. 1226–1234, 2000.