- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Applied Computational Intelligence and Soft Computing
Volume 2010 (2010), Article ID 409045, 19 pages
Adaptive Representations for Improving Evolvability, Parameter Control, and Parallelization of Gene Expression Programming
Department of Computer Science, Ryerson University, ON, Canada M5B 2K3
Received 15 September 2009; Revised 6 December 2009; Accepted 11 February 2010
Academic Editor: Oliver Kramer
Copyright © 2010 Nigel P. A. Browne and Marcus V. dos Santos. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- C. Ferreira, “Gene expression programming: a new adaptive algorithm for solving problems,” Complex Systems, vol. 13, no. 2, pp. 87–129, 2001.
- K. A. De Jong, Analysis of the behavior of a class of genetic adaptive systems, Ph.D. dissertation, University of Michigan, 1975.
- H.-H. Park, A. Grings, M. V. dos Santos, and A. S. Soares, “Parallel hybrid evolutionary computation: automatic tuning of parameters for parallel gene expression programming,” Applied Mathematics and Computation, vol. 201, no. 1-2, pp. 108–120, 2008.
- K. Zhang, S. Sun, and H. Si, “Prediction of retention times for a large set of pesticides based on improved gene expression programming,” in Proceedings of the 10th Annual Conference on Genetic and Evolutionary Computation (GECCO '08), pp. 1725–1726, ACM, Atlanta, Ga, USA, July 2008.
- Z. Xie, X. Li, B. Di Eugenio, P. C. Nelson, W. Xiao, and T. M. Tirpak, “Using gene expression programming to construct sentence ranking functions for text summarization,” in Proceedings of the 20th International Conference on Computational Linguistics (COLING '04), p. 1381, Association for Computational Linguistics, Morristown, NJ, USA, 2004.
- J. Venter and A. Hardy, “Generating plants with gene expression programming,” in Proceedings of the ACM International Conference on Computer Graphics, Virtual Reality and Visualisation in Africa (AFRIGRAPH '07), pp. 159–167, ACM, 2007.
- C. Ferreira, Gene Expression Programming: Mathematical Modeling by an Artificial Intelligence, Springer, Berlin, Germany, 2nd edition, 2006.
- M. Ostaszewski, P. Bouvry, and F. Seredynski, “Multiobjective classification with moGEP: an application in the network traffic domain,” in Proceedings of the 11th Annual Genetic and Evolutionary Computation Conference (GECCO '09), pp. 635–642, ACM, 2009.
- J. Yin, L. Huo, L. Guo, and J. Hu, “Short-term load forecasting based on improved gene expression programming,” in Proceedings of the 7th World Congress on Intelligent Control and Automation (WCICA '08), pp. 5647–5650, Chongqing, China, June 2008.
- J. Koza, Genetic Programming: On the Programming of Computers by Means of Natural Selection, The MIT Press, Cambridge, Mass, USA, 1992.
- D. E. Goldberg, Genetic Algorithms in Search, Optimization, and Machine Learning, Addison-Wesley, Reading, Mass, USA, 1989.
- J. Reisinger, K. O. Stanley, and R. Miikkulainen, “Towards an empirical measure of evolvability,” in Proceedings of the Workshops on Genetic and Evolutionary Computation (GECCO '05), pp. 257–264, ACM, Washington, DC, USA, June 2005.
- K. O. Stanley, Efficient evolution of neural networks through complexification, Ph.D. dissertation, The University of Texas at Austin, Austin, Tex, USA, 2004.
- H. S. Lopes and W. R. Weinert, “Egipsys: an enhanced gene expression programming approach for symbolic regression problems,” International Journal of Applied Mathematics and Computer Science, vol. 14, no. 3, pp. 375–384, 2004.
- J. Yue, T. Chang-Jie, Z. Hai-Chun, et al., “Adaptive gene expression programming algorithm based on cloud model,” in Proceedings of the 1st International Conference on BioMedical Engineering and Informatics (BMEI '08), vol. 1, pp. 226–230, May 2008.
- C. Tang, L. Duan, J. Peng, H. Zhang, and Y. Zong, “The strategies to improve performance of function mining by gene expression programming: genetic modifying, overlapped gene, backtracking and adaptive mutation,” in Proceedings of the 17th Data Engineering Workshop, 2006.
- O. M. Shir and T. Back, “Niching methods: speciation theory applied for multi-modal function optimization,” in Algorithmic Bioprocesses, pp. 705–729, Springer, Berlin, Germany, 2009.
- J. H. Holland, Adaptation in Natural and Artificial Systems: An Introductory Analysis with Applications to Biology, Control and Artificial Intelligence, University of Michigan Press, Ann Arbor, Mich, USA, 1975.
- E. Bautu, A. Bautu, and H. Luchian, “AdaGEP—an adaptive gene expression programming algorithm,” in Proceedings of the 9th International Symposium on Symbolic and Numeric Algorithms for Scientific Computing (SYNASC '07), pp. 403–406, 2007.
- M. Gorges-Schleuter, “Explicit parallelism of genetic algorithms through population structures,” Parallel Problem Solving from Nature, pp. 150–159, 1991.
- J. I. Hidalgo, J. Lanchares, F. Fernández de Vega, and D. Lombraña, “Is the island model fault tolerant?” in Proceedings of the 9th Annual Genetic and Evolutionary Computation Conference (GECCO '07), pp. 2737–2744, ACM, London, UK, July 2007.
- E. Cantú-Paz and D. E. Goldberg, “Efficient parallel genetic algorithms: theory and practice,” Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering, vol. 186, no. 2–4, pp. 221–238, 2000.
- J. Berntsson and M. Tang, “Dynamic optimization of migration topology in internet-based distributed genetic algorithms,” in Proceedings of the Genetic and Evolutionary Computation Conference (GECCO '05), pp. 1579–1580, ACM, Washington, DC, USA, June 2005.
- E. Cantu-Paz, Efficient and Accurate Parallel Genetic Algorithms, Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht, The Netherlands, 2000.
- E. Alba and J. M. Troya, “Analyzing synchronous and asynchronous parallel distributed genetic algorithms,” Future Generation Computer Systems, vol. 17, no. 4, pp. 451–465, 2001.
- Z. Skolicki and K. De Jong, “The influence of migration sizes and intervals on island models,” in Proceedings of the Genetic and Evolutionary Computation Conference (GECCO '05), pp. 1295–1302, ACM, Washington, DC, USA, June 2005.
- Z. Skolicki and K. De Jong, “The importance of a two-level perspective for island model design,” in Proceedings of IEEE Congress on Evolutionary Computation (CEC '07), pp. 4623–4630, 2007.
- S.-K. Oh, C. T. Kim, and J.-J. Lee, “Balancing the selection pressures and migration schemes in parallel genetic algorithms for planning multiple paths,” in Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation, vol. 4, pp. 3314–3319, 2001.
- S.-C. Lin, W. F. Punch III, and E. D. Goodman, “Coarse-grain parallel genetic algorithms: categorization and new approach,” in Proceeedings of the 6th IEEE Symposium on Parallel and Distributed Processing, pp. 28–37, Dallas, Tex, USA, October 1994.
- E. Alba and J. M. Troya, “Influence of the migration policy in parallel distributed GAs with structured and panmictic populations,” Applied Intelligence, vol. 12, no. 3, pp. 163–181, 2000.
- Y. Lin, H. Peng, and J. Wei, “A niching gene expression programming algorithm based on parallel model,” in Proceedings of the 7th International Symposium on Advanced Parallel Processing Technologies (APPT '07), vol. 4847 of Lecture Notes in Computer Science, pp. 261–270, Guangzhou, China, November 2007.
- J. Wu, C. Tang, T. Li, S. Qiao, Y. Jiang, and S. Ye, “Parallel multi-objective gene expression programming based on area penalty,” in Proceedings of the International Conference on Computer Science and Information Technology (ICCSIT '08), pp. 264–268, Singapore, August-September 2008.
- Q. Liu, T. Li, C. Tang, Q. Liu, C. Li, and S. Qiao, “Multi-population parallel genetic algorithm for economic statistical information mining based on gene expression programming,” in Proceedings of the 3rd International Conference on Natural Computation (ICNC '07), vol. 3, pp. 461–465, August 2007.
- X. Du, L. Ding, and J. Jia, “Asynchronous distributed parallel gene expression programming based on estimation of distribution algorithm,” in Proceedings of the 4th International Conference on Natural Computation (ICNC '08), vol. 1, pp. 433–437, Jinan, China, October 2008.
- D. H. Wolpert and W. G. Macready, “No free lunch theorems for optimization,” IEEE Transactions on Evolutionary Computation, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 67–82, 1997.
- Y. C. Ho and D. L. Pepyne, “Simple explanation of the no-free-lunch theorem and its implications,” Journal of Optimization Theory and Applications, vol. 115, no. 3, pp. 549–570, 2002.
- A. E. Eiben, Z. Michalewicz, M. Schoenauer, and J. E. Smith, “Parameter control in evolutionary algorithms,” Studies in Computational Intelligence, vol. 54, pp. 19–46, 2007.
- T. Back, “Self-adaptation in genetic algorithms,” in Proceedings of the 1st European Conference on Artificial Life, pp. 263–271, MIT Press, 1992.
- M. Hai-Jun, LI De-Yi, and S. Xue-Mei, “Membership clouds and membership cloud generators,” Journal of Computer Research and Development, pp. 15–20, 1995.
- C. Ferreira, “Q&a from personal correspondence,” http://www.gene-expression-programming.com/Q&A03.asp.
- J. Branke, A. Kamper, and H. Schmeck, “Distribution of evolutionary algorithms in heterogeneous networks,” in Proceedings of the Genetic and Evolutionary Computation Conference (GECCO '04), vol. 3102 of Lecture Notes in Computer Science, pp. 923–934, Seattle, Wash, USA, June 2004.
- R. I. McKay, X. H. Nguyen, J. R. Cheney, M. Kim, N. Mori, and T. H. Hoang, “Estimating the distribution and propagation of genetic programming building blocks through tree compression,” in Proceedings of the 11th Annual Genetic and Evolutionary Computation Conference (GECCO '09), pp. 1011–1018, ACM, 2009.
- T. W. Anderson, The Statistical Analysis of Time Series, John Wiley & Sons, New York, NY, USA, 1971.
- T. C. for Learning Technology (CLT) at Ryerson University, “Livedescribe video description software,” September 2009, http://www.livedescribe.com/.
- H. Rosenbrock, “An automatic method for finding the greatest or least value of a function,” The Computer Journal, vol. 3, pp. 175–184, 1960.
- J. Shekel, “Test functions for multimodal search techniques,” in Proceedings of the 5th Annual Princeton Conference on Information Science and Systems, 1971.
- J. Alami, A. E. Imrani, and A. Bouroumi, “A multipopulation cultural algorithm using fuzzy clustering,” Applied Soft Computing Journal, vol. 7, no. 2, pp. 506–519, 2007.
- L. D. Whitley, K. E. Mathias, S. B. Rana, and J. Dzubera, “Building better test functions,” in Proceedings of the 6th International Conference on Genetic Algorithms, pp. 239–247, 1995.
- T. Hu and W. Banzhaf, “Nonsynonymous to synonymous substitution ratio ka/ks: measurement for rate of evolution in evolutionary computation,” in Proceedings of the 10th International Conference on Parallel Problem Solving from Nature, pp. 448–457, Springer, 2008.