- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Applied Computational Intelligence and Soft Computing
Volume 2010 (2010), Article ID 932467, 8 pages
Analysis of Flue Gas Emission Data from Fluidized Bed Combustion Using Self-Organizing Maps
1Department of Environmental Science, University of Eastern Finland, P.O. Box 1627, 70211 Kuopio, Finland
2Foster Wheeler Energia Oy, Operations, Engineering & Services, P.O. Box 201, 78201 Varkaus, Finland
Received 17 March 2010; Accepted 12 August 2010
Academic Editor: Junbin B. Gao
Copyright © 2010 Mika Liukkonen et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- Directive 2009/29/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of 23 April 2009 amending Directive 2003/87/EC so as to improve and extend the greenhouse gas emission allowance trading scheme of the Community. European Council, 2009.
- R. Zevenhoven, P. Kilpinen, et al., “Control of Pollutants in Flue Gases and Fuel Gases,” Report TKK-ENY-4, Laboratory of Energy Engineering and Environmental Protection, Helsinki University of Technology, Espoo, Finland, 2002, http://users.abo.fi/rzevenho/gasbook.html.
- J. N. Cape, D. Fowler, and A. Davison, “Ecological effects of sulfur dioxide, fluorides, and minor air pollutants: recent trends and research needs,” Environment International, vol. 29, no. 2-3, pp. 201–211, 2003.
- J. A. Raub, M. Mathieu-Nolf, N. B. Hampson, and S. R. Thom, “Carbon monoxide poisoning—a public health perspective,” Toxicology, vol. 145, no. 1, pp. 1–14, 2000.
- D. Schwela, “Air pollution and health in urban areas,” Reviews on Environmental Health, vol. 15, no. 1-2, pp. 13–42, 2000.
- T. Kohonen, self-organizing maps, Springer, Berlin, Germany, 2001.
- M. Oja, S. Kaski, and T. Kohonen, “Bibliography of self-organizing map (SOM) papers: 1998–2001 addendum,” Neural Computing Surveys, vol. 3, pp. 1–156, 2002.
- M. Kasslin, J. Kangas, and O. Simula, “Process State Monitoring Using self-organizing maps,” in Artificial Neural Networks 2, I. Aleksander and J. Taylor, Eds., vol. 1, North-Holland, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, 1992.
- E. Alhoniemi, J. Hollmén, O. Simula, and J. Vesanto, “Process monitoring and modeling using the self-organizing map,” Integrated Computer-Aided Engineering, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 3–14, 1999.
- J. Abonyi, S. Nemth, C. Vincze, and P. Arva, “Process analysis and product quality estimation by self-organizing maps with an application to polyethylene production,” Computers in Industry, vol. 52, no. 3, pp. 221–234, 2003.
- M. Heikkinen, T. Hiltunen, M. Liukkonen, A. Kettunen, R. Kuivalainen, and Y. Hiltunen, “A modelling and optimization system for fluidized bed power plants,” Expert Systems with Applications, vol. 36, no. 7, pp. 10274–10279, 2009.
- M. Heikkinen, H. Poutiainen, M. Liukkonen, T. Heikkinen, and Y. Hiltunen, “SOM-based subtraction analysis to process data of an activated sludge treatment plant,” in Proceedings of the 6th International Conference on Mathematical Modelling (MATHMOD '09), I. Troch and F. Breitenecker, Eds., Vienna University of Technology, Vienna, Austria, 2009.
- S.-L. Jämsä-Jounela, M. Vermasvuori, P. Endén, and S. Haavisto, “A process monitoring system based on the Kohonen self-organizing maps,” Control Engineering Practice, vol. 11, no. 1, pp. 83–92, 2003.
- T. Kohonen, E. Oja, O. Simula, A. Visa, and J. Kangas, “Engineering applications of the self-organizing map,” Proceedings of the IEEE, vol. 84, no. 10, pp. 1358–1383, 1996.
- M. Liukkonen, E. Havia, H. Leinonen, and Y. Hiltunen, “Application of self-organizing maps in analysis of wave soldering process,” Expert Systems with Applications, vol. 36, no. 3, pp. 4604–4609, 2009.
- M. Liukkonen, E. Havia, H. Leinonen, and Y. Hiltunen, “Quality-oriented optimization of wave soldering process by using self-organizing maps,” Applied Soft Computing, vol. 11, no. 1, pp. 214–220, 2011.
- M. Vermasvuori, P. Endén, S. Haavisto, and S.-L. Jämsä-Jounela, “The use of Kohonen self-organizing maps in process monitoring,” in Proceedings of the 1st International Symposium on Intelligent Systems, vol. 3, pp. 2–7, 2002.
- M. Heikkinen, A. Kettunen, E. Niemitalo, R. Kuivalainen, and Y. Hiltunen, “SOM-based method for process state monitoring and optimization in fluidized bed energy plant,” in Proceedings of the 15th International Conference on Artificial Neural Networks (ICANN '05), vol. 3696 of Lecture Notes in Computer Science, pp. 409–414, Springer, 2005.
- M. Liukkonen, M. Heikkinen, T. Hiltunen, E. Hälikkä, R. Kuivalainen, and Y. Hiltunen, “Modeling of process states by using artificial neural networks in a fluidized bed energy plant,” in Proceedings of the 6th International Conference on Mathematical Modelling, I. Troch and F. Breitenecker, Eds., Vienna University of Technology, Vienna, Austria, 2009.
- M. Liukkonen, M. Heikkinen, E. Hälikkä, R. Kuivalainen, and Y. Hiltunen, “Emission analysis of a fluidized bed boiler by using self-organizing maps,” in Proceedings of the International Conference on Adaptive and Natural Computing Algorithms (ICANNGA '09), M. Kolehmainen, P. Toivanen, and B. Beliczynski, Eds., vol. 5495, Springer, 2009.
- Ž. Ćojbašić, L. Ćojbašić, V. Nikolić, N. Radojković, and M. Vukić, “Computational intelligence modeling and control of flue gas emission in FBC process,” Mechanical Engineering, vol. 1, no. 9, pp. 1263–1274, 2002.
- B. Leckner, “Fluidized bed combustion: mixing and pollutant limitation,” Progress in Energy and Combustion Science, vol. 24, no. 1, pp. 31–61, 1998.
- J. Vesanto, J. Himberg, E. Alhoniemi, and J. Parhankangas, “self-organizing map in Matlab: the SOM toolbox,” in Proceedings of the Matlab DSP Conference, pp. 35–40, 1999, http://www.cis.hut.fi/projects/somtoolbox/.
- T. Kohonen, “Analysis of processes and large data sets by a self-organizing method,” in Proceedings of the 2nd International Conference on Intelligent Processing and Manufacturing of Materials, vol. 1, pp. 27–36, IEEE Service Center, 1999.
- J. MacQueen, “Some methods for classification and analysis of multivariate observations,” in Proceedings of the 5th Berkeley Symposium on Mathematical Statistics and Probability, vol. 1, pp. 281–297, University of California Press, Berkeley, Calif, USA, 1967.
- A. K. Jain, M. N. Murty, and P. J. Flynn, “Data clustering: a review,” ACM Computing Surveys, vol. 31, no. 3, pp. 316–323, 1999.
- D. L. Davies and D. W. Bouldin, “A cluster separation measure,” IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, vol. 1, no. 2, pp. 224–227, 1979.