- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Applied Computational Intelligence and Soft Computing
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 183764, 18 pages
Prediction of Surface Roughness in End Milling Process Using Intelligent Systems: A Comparative Study
Department of Mechanical Engineering, Faculty of Engineering, Assiut University, Assiut 71516, Egypt
Received 5 May 2011; Revised 30 June 2011; Accepted 16 August 2011
Academic Editor: Serafín Moral
Copyright © 2011 Abdel Badie Sharkawy. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- K. Bouacha, M. A. Yallese, T. Mabrouki, and J.-F. Rigal, “Statistical analysis of surface roughness and cutting forces using response surface methodology in hard turning of AISI 52100 bearing steel with CBN tool,” International Journal of Refractory Metals and Hard Materials, vol. 28, no. 3, pp. 349–361, 2010.
- D. Singh and P. V. Rao, “A surface roughness prediction model for hard turning process,” International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, vol. 32, no. 11-12, pp. 1115–1124, 2007.
- S. Agarwal and P. Venkateswara Rao, “Modeling and prediction of surface roughness in ceramic grinding,” International Journal of Machine Tools and Manufacture, vol. 50, no. 12, pp. 1065–1076, 2010.
- A. M. Zain, H. Haron, and S. Sharif, “Prediction of surface roughness in the end milling machining using Artificial Neural Network,” Expert Systems with Applications, vol. 37, no. 2, pp. 1755–1768, 2010.
- J. F. Briceno, H. El-Mounayri, and S. Mukhopadhyay, “Selecting an artificial neural network for efficient modeling and accurate simulation of the milling process,” International Journal of Machine Tools and Manufacture, vol. 42, no. 6, pp. 663–674, 2002.
- D. Karayel, “Prediction and control of surface roughness in CNC lathe using artificial neural network,” Journal of Materials Processing Technology, vol. 209, no. 7, pp. 3125–3137, 2009.
- E. S. Topal, “The role of stepover ratio in prediction of surface roughness in flat end milling,” International Journal of Mechanical Sciences, vol. 51, no. 11-12, pp. 782–789, 2009.
- C. Lu, “Study on prediction of surface quality in machining process,” Journal of Materials Processing Technology, vol. 205, no. 1–3, pp. 439–450, 2008.
- O. Çolak, C. Kurbanoǧlu, and M. C. Kayacan, “Milling surface roughness prediction using evolutionary programming methods,” Materials and Design, vol. 28, no. 2, pp. 657–666, 2007.
- S. S. Roy, “Design of genetic-fuzzy expert system for predicting surface finish in ultra-precision diamond turning of metal matrix composite,” Journal of Materials Processing Technology, vol. 173, no. 3, pp. 337–344, 2006.
- H. Oktem, T. Erzurumlu, and F. Erzincanli, “Prediction of minimum surface roughness in end milling mold parts using neural network and genetic algorithm,” Materials and Design, vol. 27, no. 9, pp. 735–744, 2006.
- S. P. Lo, “An adaptive-network based fuzzy inference system for prediction of workpiece surface roughness in end milling,” Journal of Materials Processing Technology, vol. 142, no. 3, pp. 665–675, 2003.
- W.-H. Ho, J.-T. Tsai, B.-T. Lin, and J.-H. Chou, “Adaptive network-based fuzzy inference system for prediction of surface roughness in end milling process using hybrid Taguchi-genetic learning algorithm,” Expert Systems with Applications, vol. 36, no. 2, part 2, pp. 3216–3222, 2009.
- P. G. Benardos and G.-C. Vosniakos, “Predicting surface roughness in machining: a review,” International Journal of Machine Tools and Manufacture, vol. 43, no. 8, pp. 833–844, 2003.
- H. L. Shieh, Y. K. Yang, P. L. Chang, and J. T. Jeng, “Robust neural-fuzzy method for function approximation,” Expert Systems with Applications, vol. 36, no. 3, part 2, pp. 6903–6913, 2009.
- A. B. Sharkawy, “Genetic fuzzy self-tuning PID controllers for antilock braking systems,” Engineering Applications of Artificial Intelligence, vol. 23, no. 7, pp. 1041–1052, 2010.
- J.-S. Roger Jang and C.-T. Sunand Eiji Mizutani, Neuro-Fuzzy and Soft Computing: A Computational Approach to Learning and Machine Intelligence, Prentice Hall, 1997.
- S. A. Billings, H. L. Wei, and M. A. Balikhin, “Generalized multiscale radial basis function networks,” Neural Networks, vol. 20, no. 10, pp. 1081–1094, 2007.
- S. Haykin, Neural Networks: A Comprehensive Foundation, Prentice Hall, 2nd edition, 1999.
- M. M. Gupta, L. Jin, and N. Homma, Static and Dynamic Neural Networks: From Fundamental to Advanced Theory, John Wiley & Sons, Hoboken, NJ, USA, 2003.
- S. Chen, X. Hong, C. J. Harris, and P. M. Sharkey, “Sparse modeling using orthogonal forward regression with PRESS statistic and regularization,” IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics, Part B, vol. 34, no. 2, pp. 898–911, 2004.
- I. Asiltürk and M. Çunkaş, “Modeling and prediction of surface roughness in turning operations using artificial neural network and multiple regression method,” Expert Systems with Applications, vol. 38, no. 5, pp. 5826–5832, 2011.
- M. R. Razfar, R. Farshbaf Zinati, and M. Haghshenas, “Optimum surface roughness prediction in face milling by using neural network and harmony search algorithm,” International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, vol. 52, no. 5–8, pp. 487–495, 2011.
- M. F. F. Ab. Rashid and M. R. Abdul Lani, “Surface roughness prediction for CNC milling process using artificial neural network,” in Proceedings of the World Congress on Engineering (WCE '10), vol. 3, London, UK, July 2010.
- S. Z. Chavoshi and M. Tajdari, “Surface roughness modelling in hard turning operation of AISI 4140 using CBN cutting tool,” International Journal of Material Forming, vol. 3, no. 4, pp. 233–239, 2010.
- G. K. MohanaRao, G. Rangajanardhaa, D. HanumanthaRao, and M. SreenivasaRao, “Development of hybrid model and optimization of surface roughness in electric discharge machining using artificial neural networks and genetic algorithm,” Journal of Materials Processing Technology, vol. 209, no. 3, pp. 1512–1520, 2009.
- P. D. Wasserman, Advanced Methods in Neural Computing, Van Nostrand, New York, NY, USA, 1993.
- M. Zanaganeh, S. J. Mousavi, and A. F. Etemad Shahidi, “A hybrid genetic algorithm-adaptive network-based fuzzy inference system in prediction of wave parameters,” Engineering Applications of Artificial Intelligence, vol. 22, no. 8, pp. 1194–1202, 2009.
- J. S. R. Jang, “ANFIS: adaptive-network-based fuzzy inference system,” IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man and Cybernetics, vol. 23, no. 3, pp. 665–685, 1993.
- M. Mitchell, An Introduction to Genetic Algorithms, MIT Press, Cambridge, Mass, USA, 1999.
- A. K. Nandi and D. K. Pratihar, “Automatic design of fuzzy logic controller using a genetic algorithm—to predict power requirement and surface finish in grinding,” Journal of Materials Processing Technology, vol. 148, no. 3, pp. 288–300, 2004.
- N. C. Tsourveloudis, “Predictive modeling of the Ti6A14V alloy surface roughness,” Journal of Intelligent Robot Systems, vol. 60, pp. 513–530, 2010.
- M. Dong and N. Wang, “Adaptive network-based fuzzy inference system with leave-one-out cross-validation approach for prediction of surface roughness,” Applied Mathematical Modelling, vol. 35, no. 3, pp. 1024–1035, 2011.