- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Applied Computational Intelligence and Soft Computing
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 152385, 7 pages
State-of-the-Art Review on Relevance of Genetic Algorithm to Internet Web Search
1Department of Computer Science, Soft Computing and Intelligent Systems Research Group, University of the Western Cape, Private Bag X17, Bellville, Cape Town, South Africa
2Department of Mathematical Sciences (Computer Science Option), Ekiti State University, Ado-Ekiti, PMB 5363, Ado-Ekiti, Ekiti State, Nigeria
3College of Information and Communication Technology, Crescent University, Abeokuta, Ogun-State, Nigeria
Received 10 April 2012; Revised 12 September 2012; Accepted 26 September 2012
Academic Editor: Cheng-Jian Lin
Copyright © 2012 Kehinde Agbele et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- F. G. Erba, Z. Yu, and L. Ting, “Using explicit measures to quantify the potential for personalizing search,” Research Journal of Information Technology, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 24–34, 2011.
- R. Baeza-Yates and B. Ribeiro-Neto, Modern Information Retrieval, Addison Wesley, New York, NY, USA, 1999.
- K. Agbele, H. Nyongesa, and A. Adesina, “ICT and information security perspectives in E-health systems,” Journal of Mobile Communication, vol. 4, pp. 17–22, 2010.
- J. H. Holland, Adaptation in Natural and Artificial Systems, The University of Michigan Press, Ann Arbor, Mich, USA, 1975.
- K. A. DeJong, An Analysis of the Behaviour of a Class of Genetic Adaptive Systems, University of Michigan, 1975.
- D. E. Goldberg, Genetic Algorithms in Search, Optimization, Machine Learning, Addison Wesley, 1989.
- G. Salton and C. Buckley, “Improving retrieval performance by relevance feedback,” Journal of the American Society for Information Science, vol. 41, no. 4, pp. 288–297, 1990.
- L. M. Schmitt, “Fundamental study, theory of genetic algorithms,” Theoretical Computer Science, vol. 259, no. 1-2, pp. 1–61, 2001.
- K. Milena, “Solving timetabling problems using genetic algorithms,” in Proceedings of the IEEE 27th International Spring Seminar Electronics Technology: Meeting the Challenges of Electronics Technology Progress, vol. 1, pp. 96–98, 2004.
- L. Lin, L. Cao, J. Wang, and C. Zhang, “The applications of genetic algorithms in stock market data mining optimization,” in Proceedings of the Capital Market, CRC, Sydney, Australia, 2000.
- W. Ying and L. Bin, “Job-shop scheduling using genetic algorithm,” in Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Systems, Man and Cybernetics, pp. 1994–1999, October 1996.
- J. F. Frenzel, “Genetic algorithms, a new breed of optimization,” IEEE Potentials, vol. 12, pp. 21–24, 1993.
- L. Tamine, C. Chrisment, and M. Boughanem, “Multiple query evaluation based on an enhanced genetic algorithm,” Information Processing and Management, vol. 39, no. 2, pp. 215–231, 2003.
- M. Koorangi and K. Zamanifar, “A distributed agent based web search using a genetic algorithm,” International Journal of Computer Science and Network Security, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 65–76, 2007.
- R. Varadarajan, V. Hristidis, and T. Li, “Beyond single-page web search results,” IEEE Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering, vol. 20, no. 3, pp. 411–424, 2008.
- S. Maleki-Dizaji, Evolutionary learning multi-agent based information retrieval systems [Ph.D. thesis], Sheffield Hallam University, 2003.
- J. Cheng, W. Chen, L. Chen, and Y. Ma, “The improvement of genetic algorithm searching performance,” in Proceedings of 1st International Conference on Machine Learning and Cybernetics, pp. 947–951, Beijing, China, November 2002.
- M. Sinha and S. V. Chande, “Query optimization using genetic algorithms,” Research Journal of Information Technology, vol. 2, no. 3, pp. 139–144, 2010.
- M. H. Marghny and A. F. Ali, “Web mining based on genetic algorithm,” in Proceedings of the AIML O5 Conference, CICC, Cairo, Egypt, December 2005.
- S. H. Lin, M. C. Chen, J. M. Ho, and Y. M. Huang, “ACIRD: intelligent Internet document organization and retrieval,” IEEE Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering, vol. 14, no. 3, pp. 599–614, 2002.
- L. C. Chen, C. J. Luh, and C. Jou, “Generating page clippings from web search results using a dynamically terminated genetic algorithm,” Information Systems, vol. 30, no. 4, pp. 299–316, 2005.
- H. Cheng, C. Yi-Ming, R. Marshal, and Y. Christopher, “An intelligent personal spider (agent) for dynamic Internet/Intranet searching,” Decision Support Systems, vol. 23, no. 1, pp. 41–58, 1998.
- T. P. C. Silva, E. S. de Moura, J. M. B. Cavalcanti, A. S. da Silva, M. G. de Carvalho, and M. A. Gonçalves, “An evolutionary approach for combining different sources of evidence in search engines,” Information Systems, vol. 34, no. 2, pp. 276–289, 2009.
- T. Mitchell, Machine Learning, McGraw-Hill, 1997.
- A. M. Robertson and P. Willett, “Generation of equifrequent groups of words using a genetic algorithm,” Journal of Documentation, vol. 50, no. 3, pp. 213–232, 1994.
- M. Gordon, “Probabilistic and genetic algorithms for document retrieval,” Communications of the ACM, vol. 31, no. 10, pp. 1208–1218, 1988.
- W. Fan, M. D. Gordon, and P. Pathak, “Discovery of context-specific ranking functions for effective information retrieval using genetic programming,” IEEE Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering, vol. 16, no. 4, pp. 523–527, 2004.
- P. Pathak, M. Gordon, and W. Fan, “Effective information retrieval using genetic algorithms based matching functions adaptation,” in Proceedings of the 33rd Annual Hawaii International Conference on System Siences (HICSS '00), January 2000.
- W. Fan, M. D. Gordon, and P. Pathak, “Personalization of search engine services for effective retrieval and knowledge management,” in Proceedings International Conference on Information Systems (ICIS '00), Brisbane, Australia, 2000.
- F. Eissa and H. Alghamdi, “Agent based information retrieval system,” in Proceedings of the International Conference Proceedings, pp. 265–279, 2005.
- M. S. Vallim and J. M. A. Coello, “An agent for web information dissemination based on a genetic algorithm,” in IEEE, International Conference on Systems, Man and Cybernetics, vol. 4, no. 5–8, pp. 3834–3836, 2003.
- W. Li, B. Xu, H. Yang, W. C. Chung, and C.-W. Lu, “Application of genetic algorithm in search engine,” in Proceedings of the Proceedings of the International Conference on Microelectronic Systems Education (MSE '00), pp. 366–371, IEEE, 2000.
- M. Caramia, G. Felici, and A. Pezzoli, “Improving search results with data mining in a thematic search engine,” Computers and Operations Research, vol. 31, no. 14, pp. 2387–2404, 2004.
- L. Rocio, L. Cecchini, M. Carlos, Lorenzetti, G. Ana, and M. Nelida, “Using genetic algorithms to evolve a population of topical queries,” Information Processing and Management, vol. 44, no. 6, pp. 1863–1878, 2008.
- K. Abe, T. Taketa, and H. Nunokawa, “An efficient information retrieval method in WWW using genetic algorithms,” ICPP Workshops, pp. 522–527, 1999.
- M. J. Martin-Bautista, H. Larsen, and M. A. Vila, “A fuzzy genetic algorithm approach to an adaptive information retrieval agent,” Journal of the American Society for Information Science, vol. 50, no. 9, pp. 760–771, 1999.
- W. Fan, M. D. Gordon, P. Pathak, W. Xi, and E. A. Fox, “Ranking function optimization for efficient web search By genetic programming, an empirical study,” Department of Computer Science of Virginal Tech, Florida Universities, 2003.
- V. Milutinovic, D. Cvetkovic, and J. Mirkovic, “Genetic search based on multiple mutations,” IEEE Computer, vol. 33, no. 11, pp. 118–119, 2000.
- V. Rijsbergen, Information Retrieval, Butterworth, 2nd edition, 1979.
- M. P. Smith and M. Smith, “The use of genetic programming to build Boolean queries for text retrieval through relevance feedback,” Journal of Information Science, vol. 23, no. 6, pp. 423–431, 1997.
- J. J. Yang and R. R. Korfhage, “Query modification using genetic algorithms in vector space models,” International Journal of Expert Systems, vol. 7, no. 2, pp. 165–191, 1994.