- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Applied Computational Intelligence and Soft Computing
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 274617, 9 pages
A Real-Time Angle- and Illumination-Aware Face Recognition System Based on Artificial Neural Network
Faculty of Software and Information Science, Iwate Prefectural University,
Iwate, Takizawamura 020-0193, Japan
Received 10 March 2012; Revised 19 May 2012; Accepted 23 May 2012
Academic Editor: Cheng-Hsiung Hsieh
Copyright © 2012 Hisateru Kato et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- W. Zhao, R. Chellappa, P. J. Phillips, and A. Rosenfeld, “Face recognition: a literature survey,” ACM Computing Surveys, vol. 35, no. 4, pp. 399–458, 2003.
- B. Chakraborty, “A novel ANN based approach for angle invariant face verification,” in Proceedings of the IEEE Symposium on Computational Intelligence in Image and Signal Processing (CIISP '07), pp. 72–76, April 2007.
- M. A. Turk and A. P. Pentland, “Face recognition using eigen faces,” in Proceedings of the IEEE Computer Society Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (CVPR '91), pp. 586–591, June 1991.
- S. K. Zhou, R. Chellappa, and W. Zhao, Unconstrained Face Recognition, Springer, 2006.
- R. Gross, S. Baker, I. Matthews, and T. Kanade, “Face recognition scross pose and illumination,” in Handbook of Face Recognition, S. Z. Li and A. K. Jain, Eds., Springer, 2004.
- P. J. Phillips, et al., “Face recognition vendor test 2002: evaluation report,” NISTIR 6965, 2003, http://www.frvt.org/.
- T. Maurer and C. von der Malsburg, “Single-view based recognition of faces rotated in depth,” in Proceedings of the International Workshop on Automatic Face and Gesture Recognition, pp. 248–253, 1995.
- D. Beymer, “Face recognition under varying pose,” Technical Report 1461, MIT AI Laboratory, Cambridge, Mass, USA, 1995.
- S. Ullman and R. Basri, “Recognition by linear combinations of models,” IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, vol. 13, no. 10, pp. 992–1006, 1991.
- A. S. Georghiades, P. N. Belhumeur, and D. J. Kriegman, “From few to many: illumination cone models for face recognition under variable lighting and pose,” IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, vol. 23, no. 6, pp. 643–660, 2001.
- A. Pentland, B. Moghaddam, and T. Starner, “View-based and modular eigenspaces for face recognition,” in Proceedings of the IEEE Computer Society Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (CVPR '94), pp. 84–91, June 1994.
- L. Wiskott, J. M. Fellous, N. Krüger, and C. D. Von Malsburg, “Face recognition by elastic bunch graph matching,” IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, vol. 19, no. 7, pp. 775–779, 1997.
- R. Gross, I. Matthews, and S. Baker, “Eigen Light-Fields and Face Recognition across Pose,” in Proceedings of the 5th International Conference on Automatic Face and Gesture Recognition, 2002.
- T. Kanade and A. Yamada, “Multi-Subregion based probabilistic approach toward pose invariant face recognition,” in Proceedings of the IEEE International Symposium on Computational Intelligence in Robotics and Automation (CIRA '3), pp. 954–959, 2003.
- R. Gross, I. Matthews, and S. Baker, “Appearance-based face recognition and light-fields,” IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, vol. 26, no. 4, pp. 449–465, 2004.
- S. K. Zhou and R. Chellappa, “Image-based face recognition under illumination and pose variations,” Journal of the Optical Society of America A, vol. 22, no. 2, pp. 217–229, 2005.
- G. Chakraborty, B. Chakraborty, J. C. Patra, and C. Pornavalai, “An MLP-based face authentication technique robust to orientation,” in Proceedings of the International Joint Conference on Neural Networks (IJCNN '09), pp. 481–488, Atlanta, Ga, USA, June 2009.
- J. Shermina and V. Vasudevan, “An efficient face recognition system based on the hybridization of invariant pose and illumination process,” European Journal of Scientific Research, vol. 64, no. 2, pp. 225–243, 2011.
- H. F. Liau and D. Isa, “New illumination compensation method for face recognition,” International Journal of Computer and Network Security, vol. 2, no. 3, pp. 5–12, 2010.
- J. Shermina, “Impact of locally linear regression and fisher linear discriminant analysis in pose invariant face recognition,” International Journal of Computer Science and Network Security, vol. 10, no. 10, 2010.
- J. Shermina, “Illumination invariant face recognition using discrete cosine transform and principal component analysis,” in Proceedings of the International Conference on Emerging Trends in Electrical and Computer Technology (ICETECT '11), pp. 826–830, March 2011.
- S. J. D. Prince and J. H. Elder, “Creating invariance to “nuisance parameters” in face recognition,” in 2005 IEEE Computer Society Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (CVPR '05), pp. 446–453, June 2005.
- H. Murase and S. K. Nayar, “Visual learning and recognition of 3-d objects from appearance,” International Journal of Computer Vision, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 5–24, 1995.
- D. Graham and N. Allison, “Face recognition from unfamiliar views: subspace methods and pose dependency,” in Proceedings of the International Conference of Automatic Face and Gesture Recognition, pp. 348–353, 1998.
- W. Zhao and R. Chellappa, “A guided tour of face processing,” in Face Processing, Zhaoo and Chellappa, Eds., Academic Press, 2006.