- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Applied Computational Intelligence and Soft Computing
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 347157, 21 pages
Data and Feature Reduction in Fuzzy Modeling through Particle Swarm Optimization
1Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Canada T6G 2G7
2Systems Research Institute, Polish Academy of Sciences, 01-447 Warsaw, Poland
Received 15 August 2011; Revised 1 November 2011; Accepted 8 December 2011
Academic Editor: Miin-Shen Yang
Copyright © 2012 S. Sakinah S. Ahmad and Witold Pedrycz. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- W. Pedrycz and F. Gomide, Fuzzy Systems Engineering, John Wiley & Sons, Hoboken, NJ, USA, 2007.
- G. Castellano, C. Castiello, A. M. Fanelli, and C. Mencar, “Knowledge discovery by a neuro-fuzzy modeling framework,” Fuzzy Sets and Systems, vol. 149, no. 1, pp. 187–207, 2005.
- Y. Jin, “Fuzzy modeling of high-dimensional systems: complexity reduction and interpretability improvement,” IEEE Transactions on Fuzzy Systems, vol. 8, no. 2, pp. 212–221, 2000.
- Q. Zhang and M. Mahfouf, “A hierarchical Mamdani-type fuzzy modelling approach with new training data selection and multi-objective optimisation mechanisms: a special application for the prediction of mechanical properties of alloy steels,” Applied Soft Computing Journal, vol. 11, no. 2, pp. 2419–2443, 2011.
- G. E. Tsekouras, “On the use of the weighted fuzzy c-means in fuzzy modeling,” Advances in Engineering Software, vol. 36, no. 5, pp. 287–300, 2005.
- A. G. Di Nuovo, M. Palesi, and V. Catania, “Multi-objective evolutionary fuzzy clustering for high-dimensional problems,” in Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Fuzzy Systems, pp. 1–6, July 2007.
- M. Setnes, R. Babuška, U. Kaymak, and H. R. Van Nauta Lemke, “Similarity measures in fuzzy rule base simplification,” IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics B, vol. 28, no. 3, pp. 376–386, 1998.
- M. Y. Chen and D. A. Linkens, “Rule-base self-generation and simplification for data-driven fuzzy models,” Fuzzy Sets and Systems, vol. 142, no. 2, pp. 243–265, 2004.
- H. Wang, S. Kwong, Y. Jin, W. Wei, and K. F. Man, “Multi-objective hierarchical genetic algorithm for interpretable fuzzy rule-based knowledge extraction,” Fuzzy Sets and Systems, vol. 149, no. 1, pp. 149–186, 2005.
- F. J. Berlanga, A. J. Rivera, M. J. del Jesus, and F. Herrera, “GP-COACH: genetic Programming-based learning of COmpact and ACcurate fuzzy rule-based classification systems for High-dimensional problems,” Information Sciences, vol. 180, no. 8, pp. 1183–1200, 2010.
- J. Alcalá-Fdéz, R. Alcalá, and F. Herrera, “A fuzzy associative classification system with genetic rule selection for high-dimensional problems,” in Proceedings of the 4th International Workshop on Genetic and Evolutionary Fuzzy Systems (GEFS '10), pp. 33–38, March 2010.
- Y. Chen, B. Yang, A. Abraham, and L. Peng, “Automatic design of hierarchical Takagi-Sugeno type fuzzy systems using evolutionary algorithms,” IEEE Transactions on Fuzzy Systems, vol. 15, no. 3, pp. 385–397, 2007.
- M. R. Delgado, F. V. Zuben, and F. Gomide, “Coevolutionary genetic fuzzy systems: a hierarchical collaborative approach,” Fuzzy Sets and Systems, vol. 141, no. 1, pp. 89–106, 2004.
- N. Xiong and L. Litz, “Reduction of fuzzy control rules by means of premise learning—method and case study,” Fuzzy Sets and Systems, vol. 132, no. 2, pp. 217–231, 2002.
- A. E. Gaweda, J. M. Zurada, and R. Setiono, “Input selection in data-driven fuzzy modeling,” in Proceedings of the 10th IEEE International Conference on Fuzzy Systems, vol. 3, pp. 1251–1254, December 2001.
- M. L. Hadjili and V. Wertz, “Takagi-Sugeno fuzzy modeling incorporating input variables selection,” IEEE Transactions on Fuzzy Systems, vol. 10, no. 6, pp. 728–742, 2002.
- R. Šindelář and R. Babuška, “Input selection for nonlinear regression models,” IEEE Transactions on Fuzzy Systems, vol. 12, no. 5, pp. 688–696, 2004.
- M. H. F. Zarandi, I. B. Türkşen, and B. Rezaee, “A systematic approach to fuzzy modeling for rule generation from numerical data,” in Proceedings of the Annual Meeting of the North American Fuzzy Information Processing Society (NAFIPS '04), pp. 768–773, June 2004.
- H. Du and N. Zhang, “Application of evolving Takagi-Sugeno fuzzy model to nonlinear system identification,” Applied Soft Computing Journal, vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 676–686, 2008.
- S. N. Ghazavi and T. W. Liao, “Medical data mining by fuzzy modeling with selected features,” Artificial Intelligence in Medicine, vol. 43, no. 3, pp. 195–206, 2008.
- Y. Zhang, X. B. Wu, Z. Y. Xing, and W. L. Hu, “On generating interpretable and precise fuzzy systems based on Pareto multi-objective cooperative co-evolutionary algorithm,” Applied Soft Computing Journal, vol. 11, no. 1, pp. 1284–1294, 2011.
- F. Wan, H. Shang, L. X. Wang, and Y. X. Sun, “How to determine the minimum number of fuzzy rules to achieve given accuracy: a computational geometric approach to SISO case,” Fuzzy Sets and Systems, vol. 150, no. 2, pp. 199–209, 2005.
- I. Guyon and A. Elisseeff, “An introduction to variable and feature selection,” Journal of Machine Learning Research, vol. 3, pp. 1157–1182, 2003.
- H. Liu and L. Yu, “Toward integrating feature selection algorithms for classification and clustering,” IEEE Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering, vol. 17, no. 4, pp. 491–502, 2005.
- H. Liu and H. Motoda, Computational Methods of Feature Selection, Chapman & Hall/CRC, Boca Raton, Fla USA, 2008.
- J. A. Olvera-López, J. A. Carrasco-Ochoa, J. F. Martínez-Trinidad, and J. Kittler, “A review of instance selection methods,” Artificial Intelligence Review, vol. 34, no. 2, pp. 133–143, 2010.
- H. Liu and H. Motoda, Instance Selection and Construction for Data Mining, Kluwer Academic Publishers, Boston, Mass USA, 2001.
- H. Ishibuchi, T. Nakashima, and M. Nii, “Genetic-Algorithm-Based instance and feature selection,” in Instance Selection and Construction for Data Mining, H. Lui and H. Motoda, Eds., pp. 95–112, Kluwer Academic Publishers, Boston, Mass, USA, 2001.
- J. Derrac, S. García, and F. Herrera, “IFS-CoCo: instance and feature selection based on cooperative coevolution with nearest neighbor rule,” Pattern Recognition, vol. 43, no. 6, pp. 2082–2105, 2010.
- A. Hertz and D. Kobler, “Framework for the description of evolutionary algorithms,” European Journal of Operational Research, vol. 126, no. 1, pp. 1–12, 2000.
- J. R. Cano, F. Herrera, and M. Lozano, “Using evolutionary algorithms as instance selection for data reduction in KDD: an experimental study,” IEEE Transactions on Evolutionary Computation, vol. 7, no. 6, pp. 561–575, 2003.
- J. Kennedy and R. Eberhart, “Particle swarm optimization,” in Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Neural Networks, pp. 1942–1948, Perth, Australia, December 1995.
- F. van den Bergh and A. P. Engelbrecht, “A cooperative approach to particle swarm optimization,” IEEE Transactions on Evolutionary Computation, vol. 8, no. 3, pp. 225–239, 2004.
- Y. Shi and R. C. Eberhart, “Empirical study of particle Swarm Optimization,” Congress on Evolutionary Computing, vol. 3, pp. 1945–1950, 1999.