- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Advances in Condensed Matter Physics
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 201972, 5 pages
Temperature Dependence of the Tilt Angle for the Smectic A-Smectic Transition in a Mixture of C7-70PDOB Ferroelectric Liquid Crystals near the Tricritical Point
1Department of Physics, Canakkale Onsekiz Mart University, 17100 Canakkale, Turkey
2Department of Physics, Middle East Technical University, 06531 Ankara, Turkey
Received 12 June 2012; Accepted 12 September 2012
Academic Editor: Durga Ojha
Copyright © 2012 Mustafa Kurt and Hamit Yurtseven. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- P. G. de Gennes, “Some remarks on the polymorphism of smectics,” Molecular Crystals and Liquid Crystals, vol. 21, no. 1-2, pp. 49–76, 1973.
- C. C. Huang and J. M. Viner, “Nature of the smectic-A-smectic-C phase transition in liquid crystals,” Physical Review A, vol. 25, no. 6, pp. 3385–3388, 1982.
- C. C. Huang and S. Dumrangrattana, “Generalized mean-field model for the smectic-A-chiral-smectic-C phase transition,” Physical Review A, vol. 34, no. 6, pp. 5020–5026, 1986.
- T. Chan, Ch. Bahr, G. Heppke, and C. W. Garland, “Landau second order to tricritical crossover behaviour for smectic A-smectic transitions,” Liquid Crystals, vol. 13, no. 5, pp. 667–675, 1993.
- F. Yang, G. W. Bradberry, and J. R. Sambles, “Optical confirmation of the extended mean-field theory for a smectic--smectic-A transition,” Physical Review E, vol. 50, no. 4, pp. 2834–2838, 1994.
- F. Mercuri, M. Marinelli, U. Zammit, C. C. Huang, and D. Finotello, “Critical behavior of thermal parameters at the smectic-A-hexatic-B and smectic-A-smectic-C phase transitions in liquid crystals,” Physical Review E, vol. 68, Article ID 051705, 10 pages, 2003.
- K. Denolf, B. Van Roie, G. Pitsi, and J. Thoen, “Investigation of the smectic-A-smectic- transition in liquid crystals by adiabatic scanning calorimetry,” Molecular Crystals and Liquid Crystals, vol. 449, no. 1, pp. 47–55, 2006.
- B. R. Ratna, R. Shashidhar, G. G. Nair, S. K. Prasad, Ch. Bahr, and G. Heppke, “Evidence of a first-order smectic-smectic- transition and its approach to tricritical behavior,” Physical Review A, vol. 37, no. 5, pp. 1824–1826, 1988.
- R. Shashidhar, B. R. Ratna, G. G. Nair, S. K. Prasad, Ch. Bahr, and G. Heppke, “Mean-field to tricritical crossover behavior near the smectic-A-smectic- tricritical point,” Physical Review Letters, vol. 61, no. 5, pp. 547–549, 1988.
- H. Y. Liu, C. C. Huang, Ch. Bahr, and G. Heppke, “Tricriticality near the smectic-A-smectic-C transition of a liquid-crystal compound,” Physical Review Letters, vol. 61, no. 3, pp. 345–348, 1988.
- Ch. Bahr and G. Heppke, “Influence of electric field on a first-order smectic-A-ferroelectric-smectic-C liquid-crystal phase transition: a field-induced critical point,” Physical Review A, vol. 41, no. 8, pp. 4335–4342, 1990.
- Ch. Bahr and G. Heppe, “Critical exponents of the electric-field-induced smectic-A-ferroelectric-smectic-C liquid-crystal critical point,” Physical Review A, vol. 44, no. 6, pp. 3669–3672, 1991.
- J. Zubia, M. Castro, J. A. Puertolas, J. Etxebarria, M. A. P. Jubindo, and M. R. de la Fuante, “Character of the smectic-A-chiral-smectic-C phase transition near a chiral-nematic-smectic-A-chiral-smectic-C point,” Physical Review E, vol. 48, no. 3, pp. 1970–1976, 1993.
- T. Carlsson, B. Zeks, A. Levstik, C. Filipic, I. Levstik, and R. Blinc, “Generalized Landau model of ferroelectric liquid crystals,” Physical Review A, vol. 36, no. 3, pp. 1484–1487, 1987.
- P. K. Mukherjee, “Tricritical behavior of the smectic-A to smectic- transition,” Journal of Chemical Physics, vol. 131, no. 7, Article ID 074902, 2009.
- H. Yurtseven and M. Kurt, “Tilt angle and the temperature shifts calculated as a function of concentration for the A phase transition in a binary mixture of liquid crystals,” International Journal of Modern Physics B, vol. 25, no. 13, pp. 1791–1806, 2011.
- H. Yurtseven and M. Kurt, “Spontaneous polarization and the tilt angle as a function of temperature in chiral smectic C phase of SCE9 and SCE10,” Balkan Physics Letters, vol. 19, no. 191039, Article ID 19 191039, pp. 335–340, 2011.
- H. Yurtseven and M. Kurt, “Temperature dependence of the order parameters (spontaneous polarization and the tilt angle) at various concentrations for a mixture of SCE9 + SCE10,” Liquid Crystals, vol. 39, no. 5, pp. 539–544, 2012.
- S. Salihoglu, H. Yurtseven, A. Giz, D. Kayişoglu, and A. Konu, “The mean field model with coupling for the smectic A-smectic phase transition in liquid crystals,” Phase Transitions, vol. 66, no. 1–4, pp. 259–270, 1998.
- S. Salihoglu, H. Yurtseven, and B. Bumin, “Concentration dependence of polarization for the A phase transition in a binary mixture of liquid crystals,” International Journal of Modern Physics B, vol. 12, no. 20, pp. 2083–2090, 1998.
- H. Yurtseven and E. Kilit, “Critical behaviour of the dielectric constant for the smectic A transition under the electric field in ferroelectric liquid crystals,” Physics and Chemistry of Liquids, vol. 50, no. 3, pp. 367–377, 2012.
- H. Yurtseven and H. Karacali, “Calculation of a generalised smectic-hexatic phase diagram in liquid crystals,” Physics and Chemistry of Liquids, vol. 50, no. 3, pp. 302–315, 2012.
- R. Brout, Phase Transitions, chapter 2, Bnjamin, New York, NY, USA, 1965.
- Ch. Bahr, G. Heppke, and N. K. Sharma, “Dielectric studies of the smectic -smectic A transition of a ferroelectric liquid crystal with high spontaneous polarization,” Ferroelectrics, vol. 76, no. 1, pp. 151–157, 1987.
- Z. Kutnjak and C. W. Garland, “Generalized smectic-hexatic phase diagram,” Physical Review E, vol. 57, no. 3, pp. 3015–3020, 1998.
- L. Martinez-Miranda, A. R. Kortan, and R. J. Birgeneau, “Phase diagram, fluctuations, and phase transitions near the liquid-crystal nematic-smectic-A-smectic-C multicritical point,” Physical Review A, vol. 36, no. 5, pp. 2372–2383, 1987.