- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Advances in Condensed Matter Physics
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 363981, 5 pages
The Intrinsic Room-Temperature Ferromagnetism in ZnO:Co Thin Films Deposited by PLD
College of Physics and Electronics, Shandong Normal University, Jinan 250014, China
Received 9 July 2011; Revised 12 October 2011; Accepted 31 October 2011
Academic Editor: Cristiana Grigorescu
Copyright © 2012 C. C. Wang et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- S. A. Wolf, D. D. Awschalom, R. A. Buhrman et al., “Spintronics: a spin-based electronics vision for the future,” Science, vol. 294, no. 5546, pp. 1488–1495, 2001.
- T. Dietl, H. Ohno, F. Matsukura, J. Cibert, and D. Ferrand, “Zener model description of ferromagnetism in zinc-blende magnetic semiconductors,” Science, vol. 287, no. 5455, pp. 1019–1022, 2000.
- Z. Jin, T. Fukumura, M. Kawasaki et al., “High throughput fabrication of transition-metal-doped epitaxial ZnO thin films: a series of oxide-diluted magnetic semiconductors and their properties,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 78, no. 24, pp. 3824–3826, 2001.
- S. Kolesnik and B. Dabrowski, “Absence of room temperature ferromagnetism in bulk Mn-doped ZnO,” Journal of Applied Physics, vol. 96, no. 9, pp. 5379–5381, 2004.
- G. Lawes, A. S. Risbud, A. P. Ramirez, and R. Seshadri, “Absence of ferromagnetism in Co and Mn substituted polycrystalline ZnO,” Physical Review B, vol. 71, no. 4, pp. 1–5, 2005.
- S. Y. Yang, B. Y. Man, M. Liu et al., “Structural, optical and magnetic properties of Zn1-xCoxO dilute magnetic semiconductors thin films by pulsed laser deposition,” Physica B, vol. 405, no. 18, pp. 4027–4031, 2010.
- I. Petrov, P. B. Barna, L. Hultman, and J. E. Greene, “Microstruc-tural evolution during film growth,” Journal of Vacuum Science & Technology, vol. 21, no. 5, pp. S117–SS128, 2003.
- X. Wang, J. Xu, B. Zhang et al., “Signature of intrinsic high-temperature ferromagnetism in cobalt-doped zinc oxide nanocrystals,” Advanced Materials, vol. 18, no. 18, pp. 2476–2480, 2006.
- S.-W. Lim, D.-K. Hwang, and J.-M. Myoung, “Observation of optical properties related to room-temperature ferromagnetism in co-sputtered Zn1-xCoxO thin films,” Solid State Communications, vol. 125, no. 5, pp. 231–235, 2003.
- C. B. Fitzgerald, M. Venkatesan, J. G. Lunney, L. S. Dorneles, and J. M. D. Coey, “Cobalt-doped ZnO—a room temperature dilute magnetic semiconductor,” Applied Surface Science, vol. 247, no. 1–4, pp. 493–496, 2005.
- L. S. Dorneles, D. O'Mahony, C. B. Fitzgerald et al., “Structural and compositional analysis of transition-metal-doped ZnO and GaN PLD thin films,” Applied Surface Science, vol. 248, no. 1–4, pp. 406–410, 2005.
- M. Ivill, S. J. Pearton, and S. rawal, “Structure and magnetism of cobalt-doped ZnO thin films,” New Journal of Physics, vol. 10, Article ID 065002, 2008.
- J. B. Malherbe, S. Hofmann, and J. M. Sanz, “Preferential sputtering of oxides: a comparison of model predictions with experimental data,” Applied Surface Science, vol. 27, no. 3, pp. 355–365, 1986.
- P. Koidl, “Optical absorption of Co2+ in ZnO,” Physical Review B, vol. 15, no. 5, pp. 2493–2499, 1977.
- S. Ramachandran, A. Tiwari, and J. Narayan, “Zn0.9Co0.1O-based diluted magnetic semiconducting thin films,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 84, no. 25, Article ID 5255, 3 pages, 2004.
- K. J. Kim and Y. R. Park, “Spectroscopic ellipsometry study of optical transitions in Zn1-xCoxO alloys,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 81, no. 8, pp. 1420–1422, 2002.
- C. Raman, A.-L. Esther, I. Jordi et al., “Temperature dependence of Raman scattering in ZnO,” Physical Review B, vol. 75, no. 16, Article ID 165202, 2007.
- X. F. Wang, J. B. Xu, X. J. Yu, K. Xue, J. G. Yu, and X. J. Zhao, “Structural evidence of secondary phase segregation from the Raman vibrational modes in Zn1−xCoxO (),” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 91, Article ID 031908, 2007.
- K. Samanta, P. Bhattacharya, R. S. Katiyar, W. Iwamoto, P. G. Pagliuso, and C. Rettori, “Raman scattering studies in dilute magnetic semiconductor Zn1−xCoxO,” Physical Review B, vol. 73, no. 24, Article ID 245213, 5 pages, 2006.
- C. Bundesmann, N. Ashkenov, M. Schubert et al., “Raman scattering in ZnO thin films doped with Fe, Sb, Al, Ga, and Li,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 83, no. 10, pp. 1974–1976, 2003.
- C. L. Du, Z. B. Gu, M. H. Lu, et al., “Raman spectroscopy of (Mn, Co)-codoped ZnO films,” Journal of Applied Physics, vol. 99, no. 12, Article ID 123515, 4 pages, 2006.
- C. Sudakar, P. Kharel, G. Lawes, R. Suryanarayanan, R. Naik, and V. M. Naik, “Raman spectroscopic studies of oxygen defects in Co-doped ZnO films exhibiting room-temperature ferromagnetism,” Journal of Physics Condensed Matter, vol. 19, no. 2, Article ID 026212, 2007.
- A. F. Goncharov, J. Crowhurst, and J. M. Zaug, “Elastic and vibrational properties of cobalt to 120 GPa,” Physical Review Letters, vol. 92, no. 11, Article ID 115502, 4 pages, 2004.
- R. R. Hayes and C. H. Perry, “Magnetic excitations in cobalt oxide,” Solid State Communications, vol. 13, no. 11, pp. 1915–1917, 1973.
- H.-H. Chou and H. Y. Fan, “Light scattering by magnons in CoO, MnO, and α-MnS,” Physical Review B, vol. 13, Article ID 3924, 1976.
- V. A. Fonoberov, K. A. Alim, A. A. Balandin, F. Xiu, and J. Liu, “Photoluminescence investigation of the carrier recombination processes in ZnO quantum dots and nanocrystals,” Physical Review B, vol. 73, no. 16, Article ID 165317, 2006.
- J. M. D. Coey, M. Venkatesan, and C. B. Fitzgerald, “Donor impurity band exchange in dilute ferromagnetic oxides,” Nature Materials, vol. 4, no. 2, pp. 173–179, 2005.
- K. R. Kittilstved, D. A. Schwartz, A. C. Tuan, S. M. Heald, S. A. Chambers, and D. R. Gamelin, “Direct kinetic correlation of carriers and ferromagnetism in Co2+: ZnO,” Physical Review Letters, vol. 97, no. 3, Article ID 037203, 2006.
- C. D. Pemmaraju, R. Hanafin, T. Archer, H. B. Braun, and S. Sanvito, “Impurity-ion pair induced high-temperature ferromagnetism in Co-doped ZnO,” Physical Review B, vol. 78, no. 5, Article ID 054428, 2008.
- A. Walsh, J. L. F. Da Silva, S. H. Wei et al., “Nature of the band gap of In2O3 revealed by first-principles calculations and X-ray spectroscopy,” Physical Review Letters, vol. 100, no. 16, Article ID 167402, 2008.
- X. F. Wang, F. Q. Song, Q. Chen et al., “Scaling dopant states in a semiconducting nanostructure by chemically resolved electron energy-loss spectroscopy: a case study on Co-doped ZnO,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol. 132, no. 18, pp. 6492–6497, 2010.