- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Advances in Condensed Matter Physics
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 714625, 10 pages
Ferroelectric Instability and Dimensionality in Bi-Layered Perovskites and Thin Films
Department of Physics, Hokkaido University, Sapporo 060-0810, Japan
Received 25 May 2012; Accepted 3 August 2012
Academic Editor: Biljana Stojanovic
Copyright © 2012 Akira Onodera et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- W. Cochran, “Crystal stability and the theory of ferroelectricity,” Advances in Physics, vol. 9, pp. 387–423, 1960.
- W. Cochran, “Crystal stability and the theory of ferroelectricity part II. Piezoelectric crystals,” Advances in Physics, vol. 10, pp. 401–420, 1961.
- C. A.-P. de Marajo, J. D. Cushier, L. D. McMillan, et al., “Fatigue-free ferroelectric capacitors with platinum electrodes,” Nature, vol. 374, pp. 627–629, 1995.
- J. F. Scott, “NANO-phase SBT-family ferroelectric memories,” Ferroelectrics Review, vol. 1, pp. 1–14, 1998.
- M. Dauber, K. M. Raba, and J. F. Scott, “Physics of thin-film ferroelectric oxides,” Reviews of Modern Physics, vol. 77, pp. 1083–1130, 2005.
- G. A. Smolenskii, V. A. Isupov, and A. I. Agranovskaya, “Ferroelectrics of the oxygen-octahedral type with layered structure,” Soviet Physics, vol. 3, no. 3, pp. 651–655, 1961.
- Y. Yoneda, H. Kasatani, H. Terauchi, Y. Yano, T. Terashima, and Y. Bando, “Ferroelectric phase transition in BaTiO3 films,” Journal of the Physical Society of Japan, vol. 62, no. 6, pp. 1840–1843, 1993.
- K. Yoshio, A. Onodera, and H. Yamashita, “Ferroelectric phase transition and new intermediate phase in Bi-layered perovskite SrBi2Ta2O9,” Ferroelectrics, vol. 284, no. 1, pp. 65–74, 2003.
- E. C. Subbarao, “A family of ferroelectric bismuth compounds,” Journal of Physics and Chemistry of Solids, vol. 23, no. 6, pp. 665–676, 1962.
- A. Onodera, K. Yoshio, C. C. Myint, S. Kojima, H. Yamashita, and T. Takama, “Thermal and structural studies of phase transitions in layered perovskite SrBi2Ta2O9,” Japanese Journal of Applied Physics B, vol. 38, no. 9, pp. 5683–5685, 1999.
- A. Onodera, T. Kubo, K. Yoshio, S. Kojima, H. Yamashita, and T. Takama, “Crystal structure of high-temperature paraelectric phase in Bi-layered perovskite Sr0.85Bi2.1Ta2O9,” Japanese Journal of Applied Physics B, vol. 39, no. 9, pp. 5711–5715, 2000.
- A. Onodera, K. Yoshio, C. C. Myint, et al., “Thermal behavior in ferroelectric SrBi2Ta2O9 thin films,” Ferroelectrics, vol. 241, pp. 159–166, 2000.
- W. Murata, A. Onodera, K. Yoshio, et al., “Ferroelectric phase transition in layered perovskite SrBi2Ta2O9,” Ferroelectrics, vol. 270, no. 1, pp. 303–308, 2002.
- A. Onodera, K. Yoshio, and H. Yamashita, “Structural study of intermediate phase in layered perovskite SrBi2Ta2O9 single crystal,” Japanese Journal of Applied Physics, vol. 42, pp. 6218–6221, 2003.
- H. Terauchi, Y. Yoneda, Y. Watanabe et al., “Epitaxial BaTiO3 crystals,” Ferroelectrics, vol. 151, no. 1, pp. 21–26, 1994.
- Y. Yoneda, H. Kasatani, H. Terauchi, Y. Yano, T. Terashima, and Y. Bando, “Ferroelectric phase transition in BaTiO3 films,” Journal of Crystal Growth, vol. 150, no. 1, pp. 1090–1093, 1995.
- K. Iijima, T. Terashima, Y. Bando, K. Kamigaki, and H. Terauchi, “Atomic layer growth of oxide thin films with perovskite-type structure by reactive evaporation,” Journal of Applied Physics, vol. 72, no. 7, pp. 2840–2845, 1992.
- Y. Yano, K. Iijima, Y. Daitoh et al., “Epitaxial growth and dielectric properties of BaTiO3 films on Pt electrodes by reactive evaporation,” Journal of Applied Physics, vol. 76, no. 12, pp. 7833–7838, 1994.
- A. K. Tagantsev, N. A. Pertsev, P. Muralt, et al., “Strain-induced diffuse dielectric anomaly and critical point in perovskite ferroelectric thin films,” Physical Review B, vol. 65, Article ID 012104, 4 pages, 2001.
- S. Grabovsky, M. Takesada, A. Onodera, et al., “Specific heat and light scattering data of barium titanate crystals near ferroelectric phase transition,” in Abstract of Annual Meeting of Physical Society of Japan, Kansei-Gakuin University, March 2012.
- A. Onodera, Y. Kawamura, T. Okabe, and H. Terauchi, “Specific heat in ferroelectric BaTiO3 epitaxial thin films,” Journal of the European Ceramic Society, vol. 19, no. 6-7, pp. 1477–1480, 1999.
- B. A. Strukov, S. T. Davitadze, S. A. Taraskin, et al., “Thermodynamical properties of the thin polycrystalline BaTiO3 films on substrates,” Ferroelectrics, vol. 286, pp. 245–250, 2003.
- S. T. Davitadze, S. N. Kravchun, B. A. Strukov, B. M. Goltzman, V. V. Lemanov, and S. G. Shulman, “Specific heat and thermal conductivity of BaTiO3 polycrystalline thin films,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 80, no. 9, pp. 1631–1633, 2002.
- H. Terauchi, Y. Watanabe, H. Kasatani et al., “Structural study of epitaxial BaTiO3 crystals,” Journal of the Physical Society of Japan, vol. 61, no. 7, pp. 2194–2197, 1992.
- H. Yamashita, K. Yoshio, W. Murata, et al., “Structural changes and ferroelectricity in bi-layered SrBi2Ta2O9,” Japanese Journal of Applied Physics, vol. 41, pp. 7076–7079, 2002.
- J. C. Slater, “The lorentz correction in barium titanate,” Physical Review, vol. 78, pp. 748–761, 1950.
- H. Terauchi, Y. Watanabe, H. Kasatani, et al., “X-Ray studies on single crystal films of BaTiO3,” Ferroelectrics, vol. 137, pp. 33–38, 1992.
- M. E. Lines and A. M. Glass, Principles and Applications of Ferroelectrics and Related Materials, Clarendon Press, Oxford, UK, 1977.
- J. Junquera and P. Ghosez, “Critical thickness for ferroelectricity in perovskite ultrathin films,” Nature, vol. 422, no. 6931, pp. 506–509, 2003.
- D. A. Tenne, P. Turner, J. D. Schmidt et al., “Ferroelectricity in ultrathin BaTiO3 films: probing the size effect by ultraviolet raman spectroscopy,” Physical Review Letters, vol. 103, no. 17, Article ID 177601, 2009.
- K. Yoshio, I. Matsubara, A. Yamada, et al., “Phase transition in ferroelectric SrBi2Ta2O9 single crystal,” Journal of Korean Physics Society, vol. 43, p. S1034, 2003.
- A. Almeida, M. R. Chaves, H. Amorin, M. E. V. Costa, and A. L. Kholkin, “Lattice dynamics study of high-quality strontium bismuth tantalate single crystals,” Journal of Physics Condensed Matter, vol. 17, no. 48, pp. 7605–7612, 2005.
- M. Fukunaga, “Soft mode and relaxation behavior in two-dimensional ferroelectric Bi-layered perovskites,” [Ph.D. thesis], HokkaidoUniversity, 2009.
- K. Miura, “Electronic properties of ferroelectric SrBi2Ta2O9, SrBi2Nb2O9, and PbBi2Nb2O9 with optimized structures,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 80, p. 2967, 2002.
- Y. Shimakawa, Y. Kubo, Y. Nakagawa, et al., “Crystal structures and ferroelectric properties of SrBi2Ta2O9 and Sr0.8Bi2.2Ta2O9,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 74, p. 1904, 1998.
- A. D. Rae, J. G. Thompson, and R. L. Withers, “Structure refinement of commensurately modulated bismuth strontium tantalate, Bi2SrTa2O9,” Acta Crystallographica B, vol. 48, pp. 418–428, 1992.
- T. Tybell, C. H. Ahn, and J. M. Triscone, “Ferroelectricity in thin perovskite films,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 75, no. 6, pp. 856–858, 1999.
- A. V. Bune, V. M. Fridkin, S. Ducharme et al., “Two-dimensional ferroelectric films,” Nature, vol. 391, no. 6670, pp. 874–877, 1998.
- B. Meyer and D. Vanderbilt, “Ab initio study of BaTiO3 and PbTiO3 surfaces in external electric fields,” Physical Review B, vol. 63, Article ID 205426, 2001.
- Ph. Ghosez and K. M. Rabe, “Microscopic model of ferroelectricity in stress-free PbTiO3 ultrathin films,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 76, p. 2767, 2000.
- T. Moriya, “Weak ferromagnetism,” in Magnetism, G. T. Rado and H. Suhl, Eds., vol. 1, p. 85, Academic Press, New York, NY, USA, 1963.
- P.-G. de Gennes, “Effects of double exchange in magnetic crystals,” Physical Review B, vol. 118, pp. 141–154, 1960.
- C. Kittel, “Theory of antiferroelectric crystals,” Physical Review, vol. 82, pp. 729–732, 1951.
- C. S. Hwang, “Thickness-dependent dielectric constants of (Ba,Sr)TiO3 thin films with Pt or conducting oxide electrodes,” Applied Physics, vol. 92, p. 432, 2002.
- J.-H. Ko, A. Hushur, S. Kojima, et al., “Acoustic anomalies and central peak in SrBi2Ta2O9 single crystals studied by micro-Brillouin scattering,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 81, p. 4043, 2002.
- M. Takesada, K. Sutoh, M. Fukunaga, and A. Onodera, “Light scattering study of bismuth layered ferroelectric SrBi2Ta2O9,” Ferroelectrics, vol. 355, no. 1, pp. 149–153, 2007.
- B. Aurivillius, “Mixed bismuth oxides with layer lattices I. The structure type of CaNb2Bi2O9,” Arkkitehtuuritoimisto, vol. 1, p. 893, 1949.
- J. M. Luttinger and L. Tisza, “Theory of dipole interaction in crystals,” Physical Review, vol. 72, no. 3, p. 257, 1947.
- K. Ishikawa, T. Nomura, N. Okada, et al., “Size effect on the phase transition in PbTiO3 fine particles,” Japanese Journal of Applied Physics, vol. 35, pp. 5196–5198, 1996.