- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Advances in Condensed Matter Physics
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 873804, 8 pages
Color Dependence on Thickness in Topaz Crystal from Brazil
1Faculty of Technology of Sorocaba, Sorocaba, SP, Brazil
2Institute of Physics, University of São Paulo, São Paulo, SP, Brazil
Received 22 March 2012; Revised 18 June 2012; Accepted 9 July 2012
Academic Editor: Mohindar S. Seehra
Copyright © 2012 Waldemar Bonventi Jr et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- B. Henderson, Color, Contemporary Physics, vol. 19, p. 225, 1978.
- R. D. Lozano, El Color y Su Medición, Editorial Americalee, Buenos Aires, Argentina, 1978.
- G. Wyszecki and W. S. Stiles, Color Science: Concepts and Methods, Quantitative Data and Formulae, John Wiley & Sons, New York, NY, USA, 1982.
- R. R. Viana, I. Mänttäri, H. Kunst, and H. Jordt-Evangelista, “Age of pegmatites from eastern Brazil and implications of mica intergrowths on cooling rates and age calculations,” Journal of South American Earth Sciences, vol. 16, no. 6, pp. 493–501, 2003.
- A. R. Blak, S. Isotani, and S. Watanabe, “Optical absorption and electron spin resonance in blue and green natural beryl,” Physics and Chemistry of Minerals, vol. 8, no. 4, pp. 161–166, 1982.
- S. Isotani, W. W. Furtado, R. Antonini, and O. L. Dias, “Line-shape and thermal kinetics analysis of the Fe2+ band in Brazilian green beryl,” American Mineralogist, vol. 74, no. 3-4, pp. 432–438, 1989.
- K. Krambrock, M. V. B. Pinheiro, K. J. Guedes et al., “Radiation-induced centers in Cs-rich beryl studied by magnetic resonance, infrared and optical spectroscopy,” Nuclear Instruments and Methods in Physics Research B, vol. 191, no. 1–4, pp. 285–290, 2002.
- R. R. Viana, H. Jordt-Evangelista, G. M. da Costa, and W. B. Stern, “Characterization of beryl (aquamarine variety) from pegmatites of Minas Gerais, Brazil,” Physics and Chemistry of Minerals, vol. 29, no. 10, pp. 668–679, 2002.
- J. C. R. Mittani, S. Watanabe, J. F. D. Chubaci, M. Matsuoka, D. L. Baptista, and F. C. Zawislak, “γ-radiation effects on colourless silicates of beryl,” Nuclear Instruments and Methods in Physics Research B, vol. 191, no. 1– 4, pp. 281–284, 2002.
- S. Isotani, A. R. Blak, and S. Watanabe, “UV optical absorption spectra analysis of beryl crystals from Brazil,” Physica B, vol. 405, no. 6, pp. 1501–1508, 2010.
- C. T. Dotto and S. Isotani, “Irradiation and heating effects in amethyst crystals from brazil,” Radiation Effects and Defects in Solids, vol. 117, no. 4, pp. 355–361, 1991.
- A. T. Fujii and S. Isotani, “Optical absorption study of five varieties of spodumene,” Anais da Academia Brasileira de Ciências, vol. 60, no. 2, pp. 127–135, 1988.
- A. S. Ito and S. Isotani, “Heating effects on the optical absorption spectra of irradiated, natural spodumene,” Radiation Effects and Defects in Solids, vol. 116, no. 4, pp. 307–314, 1991.
- S. Isotani, A. T. Fujii, R. Antonini, W. M. Pontuschka, S. R. Rabbani, and W. W. Furtado, “Optical absorption study of radiation and thermal effects in Brazilian samples of spodumene,” Anais da Academia Brasileira de Ciências, vol. 63, no. 2, pp. 127–139, 1991.
- S. Isotani, K. Watari, A. Mizukami, W. Bonventi Jr., and A. S. Ito, “UV optical absorption spectra analysis of spodumene crystals from Brazil,” Physica B, vol. 391, no. 2, pp. 322–330, 2007.
- S. C. Lind and L. Bardwell, “The coloring and thermophosphorescence produced in transparent minerals and gems by radium radiation,” American Mineralogist, vol. 8, pp. 171–180, 1923.
- K. Nassau and B. E. Prescott, “Blue and brown topaz produced by gamma irradiation,” American Mineralogist, vol. 60, pp. 705–709, 1975.
- A. R. P. L. Albuquerque, S. Isotani, and S. P. Morato, “Irradiation and heating effects in topaz crystals from minas cerais, Brazil,” Radiation Effects and Defects in Solids, vol. 106, no. 1-2, pp. 143–150, 1988.
- V. Priest, D. L. Cowan, D. G. Reichel, and F. K. Ross, “A dangling-silicon-bond defect in topaz,” Journal of Applied Physics, vol. 68, no. 6, pp. 3035–3037, 1990.
- D. N. da Silva, K. J. Guedes, M. V. B. Pinheiro, S. Schweizer, J. M. Spaeth, and K. Krambrock, “The O-(Al2) centre in topaz and its relation to the blue colour,” Physica Status Solidi C, vol. 2, no. 1, pp. 397–400, 2005.
- D. N. da Silva, K. J. Guedes, M. V. B. Pinheiro, J. M. Spaeth, and K. Krambrock, “The microscopic structure of the oxygen-aluminium hole center in natural and neutron irradiated blue topaz,” Physics and Chemistry of Minerals, vol. 32, no. 5-6, pp. 436–441, 2005.
- A. S. Leal, K. Krambrock, L. G. M. Ribeiro, M. A. B. C. Menezes, P. Vermaercke, and L. Sneyers, “Study of neutron irradiation-induced colors in Brazilian topaz,” Nuclear Instruments and Methods in Physics Research A, vol. 580, no. 1, pp. 423–426, 2007.
- O. F. Schirmer, “O− bound small polarons in oxide materials,” Journal of Physics: Condensed Matter, vol. 18, no. 43, article R667, 2006.
- K. Krambrock, L. G. M. Ribeiro, M. V. B. Pinheiro, A. S. Leal, M. A. B. C. Menezes, and J. M. Spaeth, “Color centers in topaz: comparison between neutron and gamma irradiation,” Physics and Chemistry of Minerals, vol. 34, no. 7, pp. 437–444, 2007.
- M. B. de Camargo and S. Isotani, “Optical absorption spectroscopy of natural and irradiated pink tourmaline,” American Mineralogist, vol. 73, pp. 172–180, 1988.
- S. Isotani and A. T. Fujii, “A grid procedure applied to the determination of parameters of a kinetic process,” Computer Physics Communications, vol. 151, no. 1, pp. 1–7, 2003.
- O. L. Dias, A. R. P. L. Albuquerque, and S. Isotani, “X-Ray fluorescence analysis of Fe, Mn, Cr and V in natural Silicate Crystals,” Anais da Academia Brasileira de Ciências, vol. 55, p. 173, 1983.
- J. J. Markham, “Interaction of normal modes with electron traps,” Reviews of Modern Physics, vol. 31, no. 4, pp. 956–989, 1989.
- H. Hosono, Y. Abe, H. Imagawa, H. Imai, and K. Arai, “Experimental evidence for the Si–Si bond model of the 7.6-eV band in SiO2 glass,” Physical Review B, vol. 44, no. 21, pp. 12043–12045, 1991.
- H. Nishikawa, R. Nakamura, Y. Ohki, and Y. Hama, “Correlation of preexisting diamagnetic defect centers with induced paramagnetic defect centers by ultraviolet or vacuum-ultraviolet photons in high-purity silica glasses,” Physical Review B, vol. 48, no. 21, pp. 15584–15594, 1993.
- G. Pacchioni and G. Ieranò, “On the origin of the 5.0 and 7.6 eV absorption bands in oxygen deficient α-quartz and amorphous silica. A first principles quantum-chemical study,” Journal of Non-Crystalline Solids, vol. 216, pp. 1–9, 1997.
- K. Raghavachari, D. Ricci, and G. Pacchioni, “Optical properties of point defects in SiO2 from time-dependent density functional theory,” Journal of Chemical Physics, vol. 116, no. 2, pp. 825–831, 2002.
- R. G. Burns, Mineralogical Applications of Crystal Field Theory, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK, 1970.
- R. Kuehni, Colour: An Introduction to Practice and Principle, John Wiley & Sons, New York, NY, USA, 1997.
- Y. Liu, J. Shigley, and A. Halvorsen, “Colour hue change of a gem tourmaline from Umba Valley, Tanzania,” Journal of Gemmology, vol. 26, no. 6, pp. 386–396, 1999.