- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 626495, 9 pages
Antineutrophil Cytoplasmic Antibodies Testing in a Large Cohort of Unselected Greek Patients
Department of Immunology-Histocompatibility, “Evangelismos” General Hospital, 10676 Athens, Greece
Received 18 October 2010; Revised 24 January 2011; Accepted 6 March 2011
Academic Editor: Alexander J. Szalai
Copyright © 2011 Konstantinos Tsiveriotis et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- X. Bosch, A. Guilabert, and J. Font, “Antineutrophil cytoplasmic antibodies,” Lancet, vol. 368, no. 9533, pp. 404–418, 2006.
- D. J. Davies, J. E. Moran, J. F. Niall, and G. B. Ryan, “Segmental necrotising glomerulonephritis with antineutrophil antibody: possible arbovirus aetiology?” British Medical Journal, vol. 285, no. 6342, p. 606, 1982.
- F. J. Van Der Woude, N. Rasmussen, and S. Lobatto, “Autoantibodies against neutrophils and monocytes: tool for diagnosis and marker of disease activity in Wegener's granulomatosis,” Lancet, vol. 1, no. 8426, pp. 425–429, 1985.
- R. J. Falk and J. C. Jennette, “Anti-neutrophil cytoplasmic autoantibodies with specificity for myeloperoxidase in patients with systemic vasculitis and idiopathic necrotizing and crescentic glomerulonephritis,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 318, no. 25, pp. 1651–1657, 1988.
- W. H. Schmitt and F. J. Van Der Woude, “Clinical applications of antineutrophil cytoplasmic antibody testing,” Current Opinion in Rheumatology, vol. 16, no. 1, pp. 9–17, 2004.
- J. Savige, D. Davies, R. J. Falk, J. C. Jennette, and A. Wiik, “Antineutrophil cytoplasmic antibodies and associated diseases: a review of the clinical and laboratory features,” Kidney International, vol. 57, no. 3, pp. 846–862, 2000.
- R. A. F. D. van Wijngaarden, L. van Rijn, E. C. Hagen et al., “Hypotheses on the etiology of antineutrophil cytoplasmic autoantibody-associated vasculitis: the cause is hidden, but the result is known,” Clinical Journal of the American Society of Nephrology, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 237–252, 2008.
- L. C. Willcocks, P. A. Lyons, A. J. Rees, and K. G.C. Smith, “The contribution of genetic variation and infection to the pathogenesis of ANCA-associated systemic vasculitis,” Arthritis Research and Therapy, vol. 12, no. 1, article 202, 2010.
- K. A. Boki, G. S. Panayi, R. W. Vaughan, A. A. Drosos, H. M. Moutsopoulos, and J. S. Lanchbury, “HLA class II sequence polymorphisms and susceptibility to rheumatoid arthritis in Greeks: The HLA-DRβ shared-epitope hypothesis accounts for the disease in only a minority of Greek patients,” Arthritis and Rheumatism, vol. 35, no. 7, pp. 749–755, 1992.
- A. Roitberg-Tambur, A. Friedmann, C. Safirman et al., “Molecular analysis of HLA class II genes in primary Sjogren's syndrome: a study of Israeli Jewish and Greek non-Jewish patients,” Human Immunology, vol. 36, no. 4, pp. 235–242, 1993.
- J. D. Reveille, F. C. Arnett, M. L. Olsen, J. M. Moulds, C. A. Papasteriades, and H. M. Moutsopoulos, “HLA-class II alleles and C4 null genes in Greeks with systemic lupus erythematosus,” Tissue Antigens, vol. 46, no. 5, pp. 417–421, 1995.
- K. A. Boki, U. Dafni, G. A. Karpouzas, C. Papasteriades, A. A. Drosos, and H. M. Moutsopoulos, “Necrotizing vasculitis in Greece: clinical, immunological and immunogenetic aspects, a study of 66 patients,” British Journal of Rheumatology, vol. 36, no. 10, pp. 1059–1066, 1997.
- L. A. Mandl, D. H. Solomon, E. L. Smith, R. A. Lew, J. N. Katz, and R. H. Shmerling, “Using antineutrophil cytoplasmic antibody testing to diagnose vasculitis: can test-ordering guidelines improve diagnostic accuracy?” Archives of Internal Medicine, vol. 162, no. 13, pp. 1509–1514, 2002.
- J. S. McLaren, R. H. Stimson, E. R. McRorie, J. E. Coia, and R. A. Luqmani, “The diagnostic value of anti-neutrophil cytoplasmic antibody testing in a routine clinical setting,” The Quarterly Journal of Medicine, vol. 94, no. 11, pp. 615–621, 2001.
- K. A. Russell, E. Wiegert, D. R. Schroeder, H. A. Homburger, and U. Specks, “Detection of anti-neutrophil cytoplasmic antibodies under actual clinical testing conditions,” Clinical Immunology, vol. 103, no. 2, pp. 196–203, 2002.
- J. H. Stone, M. Talor, J. Stebbing et al., “Test characteristics of immunofluorescence and ELISA tests in 856 consecutive patients with possible ANCA-associated conditions,” Arthritis Care and Research, vol. 13, no. 6, pp. 424–434, 2000.
- U. Schönermarck, P. Lamprecht, E. Csernok, and W. L. Gross, “Prevalence and spectrum of rheumatic diseases associated with proteinase 3-antineutrophil cytoplasmic antibodies (ANCA) and myeloperoxidase-ANCA,” Rheumatology, vol. 40, no. 2, pp. 178–184, 2001.
- C. Franssen, R. Gans, C. Kallenberg, C. Hageluken, and S. Hoorntje, “Disease spectrum of patients with antineutrophil cytoplasmic autoantibodies of defined specificity: distinct differences between patients with anti-proteinase 3 and anti-myeloperoxidase autoantibodies,” Journal of Internal Medicine, vol. 244, no. 3, pp. 209–216, 1998.
- S. Venkatachalam, P. Major, L. Morgan, J. Smith, and M. I. D. Cawley, “Clinical utility of antineutrophil cytoplasmic antibody (ANCA) test: an audit,” Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases, vol. 58, pp. 5–6, 1999.
- P. A. Merkel, R. P. Polisson, Y. Chang, S. J. Skates, and J. L. Niles, “Prevalence of antineutrophil cytoplasmic antibodies in a large inception cohort of patients with connective tissue disease,” Annals of Internal Medicine, vol. 126, no. 11, pp. 866–873, 1997.
- D. Vassilopoulos, J. L. Niles, A. Villa-Forte et al., “Prevalence of antineutrophil cytoplasmic antibodies in patients with various pulmonary diseases or multiorgan dysfunction,” Arthritis Care and Research, vol. 49, no. 2, pp. 151–155, 2003.
- I. E. Koutroubakis, E. Petinaki, I. A. Mouzas et al., “Anti-Saccharomyces cerevisiae mannan antibodies and antineutrophil cytoplasmic autoantibodies in Greek patients with inflammatory bowel disease,” American Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 96, no. 2, pp. 449–454, 2001.
- J. C. Jennette, R. J. Falk, K. Andrassy et al., “Nomenclature of systemic vasculitides: proposal of an international consensus conference,” Arthritis and Rheumatism, vol. 37, no. 2, pp. 187–192, 1994.
- R. Y. Leavitt, A. S. Fauci, D. A. Bloch et al., “The American College of Rheumatology 1990 criteria for the classification of Wegener's granulomatosis,” Arthritis and Rheumatism, vol. 33, no. 8, pp. 1101–1107, 1990.
- A. T. Masi, G. G. Hunder, J. T. Lie et al., “The American College of Rheumatology 1990 Criteria for the classification of Churg-Strauss syndrome (allergic granulomatosis and angiitis),” Arthritis and Rheumatism, vol. 33, no. 8, pp. 1094–1100, 1990.
- R. W. Lightfoot Jr., B. A. Michel, D. A. Bloch et al., “The American College of Rheumatology 1990 criteria for the classification of polyarteritis nodosa,” Arthritis and Rheumatism, vol. 33, no. 8, pp. 1088–1093, 1990.
- B. Wechsler, F. Davatchi, Y. Mizushima et al., “Criteria for diagnosis of Behcet's disease,” Lancet, vol. 335, no. 8697, pp. 1078–1080, 1990.
- J. A. Mills, B. A. Michel, D. A. Bloch et al., “The American College of Rheumatology 1990 criteria for the classification of Henoch-Schonlein purpura,” Arthritis and Rheumatism, vol. 33, no. 8, pp. 1114–1121, 1990.
- D. K. Podolsky, “Medical progress: inflammatory bowel disease (Second of two parts),” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 325, no. 14, pp. 1008–1016, 1991.
- Y. M. Lee and M. M. Kaplan, “Primary sclerosing cholangitis,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 332, no. 14, pp. 924–933, 1995.
- F. Alvarez, P. A. Berg, F. B. Bianchi et al., “International Autoimmune Hepatitis Group Report: review of criteria for diagnosis of autoimmune hepatitis,” Journal of Hepatology, vol. 31, no. 5, pp. 929–938, 1999.
- M. M. Kaplan, “Medical progress: primary biliary cirrhosis,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 335, no. 21, pp. 1570–1580, 1996.
- M. C. Hochberg, “Updating the American College of Rheumatology revised criteria for the classification of systemic lupus erythematosus,” Arthritis and rheumatism, vol. 40, no. 9, p. 1725, 1997.
- F. C. Arnett, S. M. Edworthy, D. A. Bloch et al., “The American Rheumatism Association 1987 revised criteria for the classification of rheumatoid arthritis,” Arthritis and Rheumatism, vol. 31, no. 3, pp. 315–324, 1988.
- G. P. Balint and P. V. Balint, “Felty's syndrome,” Best Practice and Research: Clinical Rheumatology, vol. 18, no. 5, pp. 631–645, 2004.
- A. T. Masi, G. P. Rodnan, and T. A. Medsger, “Preliminary criteria for the classification of systemic sclerosis (scleroderma),” Arthritis and Rheumatism, vol. 23, no. 5, pp. 581–590, 1980.
- A. Bohan and J. B. Peter, “Polymyositis and dermatomyositis (first of two parts),” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 292, no. 7, pp. 344–347, 1975.
- A. Bohan and J. B. Peter, “Polymyositis and dermatomyositis (Second of two parts),” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 292, no. 8, pp. 403–407, 1975.
- C. Vitali, S. Bombardieri, R. Jonsson et al., “Classification criteria for Sjögren's syndrome: a revised version of the European criteria proposed by the American-European Consensus Group,” Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases, vol. 61, no. 6, pp. 554–558, 2002.
- D. Alarcon-Segovia and M. H. Cardiel, “Comparison between 3 diagnostic criteria for mixed connective tissue disease. Study of 593 patients,” Journal of Rheumatology, vol. 16, no. 3, pp. 328–334, 1989.
- B. Amor, “Reiter's syndrome. Diagnosis and clinical features,” Rheumatic Disease Clinics of North America, vol. 24, no. 4, pp. 677–695, 1998.
- H. S. Goei The, M. M. Steven, S. M. Van Der Linden, and A. Cats, “Evaluation of diagnostic criteria for ankylosing spondylitis: a comparison of the Rome, New York and modified New York criteria in patients with a positive clinical history screening test for ankylosing spondylitis,” British Journal of Rheumatology, vol. 24, no. 3, pp. 242–249, 1985.
- M. Swann, “Juvenile chronic arthritis,” Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research, vol. 219, pp. 38–49, 1987.
- S. F. Freedman and R. G. Amedee, “Relapsing polychondritis,” The Journal of the Louisiana State Medical Society, vol. 144, no. 4, pp. 131–133, 1992.
- J. S. Levine, W. Branch, and J. Rauch, “The antiphospholipid syndrome,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 346, no. 10, pp. 752–763, 2002.
- A. Wiik, “Rational use of ANCA in the diagnosis of vasculitis,” Rheumatology, vol. 41, no. 5, pp. 481–483, 2002.
- M. Chen, F. Yu, Y. Zhang, W. Z. Zou, M. H. Zhao, and H. Y. Wang, “Characteristics of Chinese patients with Wegener's granulomatosis with anti-myeloperoxidase autoantibodies,” Kidney International, vol. 68, no. 5, pp. 2225–2229, 2005.
- R. A. Watts and D. G. I. Scott, “Epidemiology of the vasculitides,” Current Opinion in Rheumatology, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 11–16, 2003.
- L. F. Flores-Suárez, J. Cabiedes, A. R. Villa, F. J. van der Woude, and J. Alcocer-Varela, “Prevalence of antineutrophil cytoplasmic autoantibodies in patients with tuberculosis,” Rheumatology, vol. 42, no. 2, pp. 223–229, 2003.
- H. K. Choi, P. Lamprecht, J. L. Niles, W. L. Gross, and P. A. Merkel, “Subacute bacterial endocarditis with positive cytoplasmic antineutrophil cytoplasmic antibodies and anti-proteinase 3 antibodies,” Arthritis and Rheumatism, vol. 43, no. 1, pp. 226–231, 2000.
- Y. Y. Wu, T. C. Hsu, T. Y. Chen et al., “Proteinase 3 and dihydrolipoamide dehydrogenase (E3) are major autoantigens in hepatitis C virus (HCV) infection,” Clinical and Experimental Immunology, vol. 128, no. 2, pp. 347–352, 2002.
- H. K. Choi, P. A. Merkel, A. M. Walker, and J. L. Niles, “Drug-associated antineutrophil cytoplasmic antibody-positive vasculitis: prevalence among patients with high titers of antimyeloperoxidase antibodies,” Arthritis and Rheumatism, vol. 43, no. 2, pp. 405–413, 2000.
- P. Lamprecht, S. Gadola, A. Schnabel, and W. L. Gross, “ANCA, infectious endocarditis, glomerulonephritis and cryoglobulinemic vasculitis,” Clinical Nephrology, vol. 49, no. 6, pp. 389–390, 1998.
- A. Ruffatti, R. A. Sinico, A. Radice et al., “Autoantibodies to proteinase 3 and myeloperoxidase in systemic sclerosis,” Journal of Rheumatology, vol. 29, no. 5, pp. 918–923, 2002.
- L. G. Ardiles, G. Valderrama, P. Moya, and S. A. Mezzano, “Incidence and studies on antigenic specificities of antineutrophil-cytoplasmic autoantibodies (ANCA) in poststreptococcal glomerulonephritis,” Clinical Nephrology, vol. 47, no. 1, pp. 1–5, 1997.
- E. C. Hagen, M. R. Daha, JO. Hermans et al., “Diagnostic value of standardized assays for anti-neutrophil cytoplasmic antibodies in idiopathic systemic vasculitis,” Kidney International, vol. 53, no. 3, pp. 743–753, 1998.
- E. Csernok, D. Ahlquist, S. Ullrich, and W. L. Gross, “A critical evaluation of commercial immunoassays for antineutrophil cytoplasmic antibodies directed against proteinase 3 and myeloperoxidase in Wegener's granulomatosis and microscopic polyangiitis,” Rheumatology, vol. 41, no. 11, pp. 1313–1317, 2002.
- J. Savige, D. Gillis, E. Benson et al., “International consensus statement on testing and reporting of antineutrophil cytoplasmic antibodies (ANCA),” American Journal of Clinical Pathology, vol. 111, no. 4, pp. 507–513, 1999.
- J. Savige, W. Dimech, M. Fritzler et al., “Addendum to the International Consensus Statement on testing and reporting of antineutrophil cytoplasmic antibodies. Quality control guidelines, comments, and recommendations for testing in other autoimmune diseases,” American Journal of Clinical Pathology, vol. 120, no. 3, pp. 312–318, 2003.
- E. Csernok, J. Holle, B. Hellmich et al., “Evaluation of capture ELISA for detection of antineutrophil cytoplasmic antibodies directed against proteinase 3 in Wegener's granulomatosis: First results from a multicentre study,” Rheumatology, vol. 43, no. 2, pp. 174–180, 2004.
- P. Vermeersch, S. Vervaeke, D. Blockmans et al., “Determination of anti-neutrophil cytoplasmic antibodies in small vessel vasculitis: comparative analysis of different strategies,” Clinica Chimica Acta, vol. 397, no. 1-2, pp. 77–81, 2008.