- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 803841, 6 pages
Autonomic Disorders in Multiple Sclerosis
Department of Neurology, Deutsche Klinik für Diagnostik, Aukammallee 33, 65191 Wiesbaden, Germany
Received 31 October 2010; Accepted 24 February 2011
Academic Editor: Ronald Tuma
Copyright © 2011 E. Lensch and W. H. Jost. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- S. Poser, W. Poser, and G. Schlaf, “Prognostic indicators in multiple sclerosis,” Acta Neurologica Scandinavica, vol. 74, no. 5, pp. 387–392, 1986.
- S. Beer and J. Kesselring, “Die multiple sklerose im kanton bern,” Fortschritte der Neurologie Psychiatrie, vol. 56, no. 12, pp. 390–397, 1988.
- C. M. Poser, D. W. Paty, L. C. Scheinberg, W. I. McDonald, and G. C. Ebers, The Diagnosis of Multiple Sclerosis, Thieme-Stratton, New York, Ny, USA, 1984.
- A. Hennessey, N. P. Robertson, R. Swingler, and D. A. S. Compston, “Urinary, faecal and sexual dysfunction in patients with multiple sclerosis,” Journal of Neurology, vol. 246, no. 11, pp. 1027–1032, 1999.
- N. Kale, M. Setty, A. Jale, and T . Osman, “Assessment of autonomic nervous system dysfunction in multiple sclerosis and the association with clinical disability,” Neurology International, vol. 1, article e5, 2009.
- R. A. Marrie, G. Cutter, T. Tyry, T. Vollmer, and D. Campagnolo, “Disparities in the management of multiple sclerosis-related bladder symptoms,” Neurology, vol. 68, no. 23, pp. 1971–1978, 2007.
- F. Patti, B. Ventimiglia, G. Failla, A. A. Genazzani, and A. Reggio, “Micturition disorders in multiple sclerosis patients: neurological, neurourodynamic and magnetic resonance findings,” European Journal of Neurology, vol. 4, no. 3, pp. 259–265, 1997.
- C. Pozzilli, M. G. Grasso, S. Bastianello et al., “Structural brain correlates of neurourologic abnormalities in multiple sclerosis,” European Neurology, vol. 32, no. 4, pp. 228–230, 1992.
- C. D. Betts, M. T. D'Mellow, and C. J. Fowler, “Urinary symptoms and the neurological features of bladder dysfunction in multiple sclerosis,” Journal of Neurology Neurosurgery and Psychiatry, vol. 56, no. 3, pp. 245–250, 1993.
- M. B. Chancellor and J. G. Blaivas, “Urological and sexual problems in multiple sclerosis,” Clinical Neuroscience, vol. 2, no. 3-4, pp. 189–195, 1994.
- M. de Sèze, A. Ruffion, P. Denys, P. A. Joseph, and B. Perrouin-Verbe, “The neurogenic bladder in multiple sclerosis: review of the literature and proposal of management guidelines,” Multiple Sclerosis, vol. 13, no. 7, pp. 915–928, 2007.
- A. Reitz, M. Stöhrer, G. Kramer et al., “European experience of 200 cases treated with botulinum-A toxin injections into the detrusor muscle for urinary incontinence due to neurogenic detrusor overactivity,” European Urology, vol. 45, no. 4, pp. 510–515, 2004.
- V. Kalsi, G. Gonzales, R. Popat et al., “Botulinum injections for the treatment of bladder symptoms of multiple sclerosis,” Annals of Neurology, vol. 62, no. 5, pp. 452–457, 2007.
- M. Hohenfellner, S. E. Dahms, K. Matzel, and J. W. Thüroff, “Sacral neuromodulation of the urinary bladderSakrale neuromodulation der harnblase,” Urologe—Ausgabe A, vol. 39, no. 1, pp. 55–63, 2000.
- F. Khan, J. F. Pallant, J. I. Pallant, C. Brand, and T. J. Kilpatrick, “A randomised controlled trial: outcomes of bladder rehabilitation in persons with multiple sclerosis,” Journal of Neurology, Neurosurgery and Psychiatry, vol. 81, no. 9, pp. 1033–1038, 2010.
- H. Miller , C. A. Simpson, and W. K. Yeates, “Bladder dysfunction in multiple sclerosis,” British Medical Journal, vol. 1, no. 5445, pp. 1265–1269, 1965.
- H. G. Lilius, E. J. Valtonen, and J. Wikstrom, “Sexual problems in patients suffering from multiple sclerosis,” Scandinavian Journal of Social Medicine, vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 41–44, 1976.
- J. M. Minderhoud, J. G. Leemhuis, and J. Kremer, “Sexual disturbances arising from multiple sclerosis,” Acta Neurologica Scandinavica, vol. 70, no. 4, pp. 299–306, 1984.
- M. Zorzon, R. Zivadinov, A. Bosco et al., “Sexual dysfunction in multiple sclerosis: a case-control study. I. Frequency and comparison of groups,” Multiple Sclerosis, vol. 5, no. 6, pp. 418–427, 1999.
- K. M. Beier, D. Goecker, S. Babinsky, and C. J. Ahlers, “Sexualitä und partnerschaft bei multipler sklerose—ergebnisse einer empirischen studie bei betroffenen und ihren partnern,” Sexuologie, vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 4–22, 2002.
- D. Mattson, M. Petrie, D. K. Srivastava, and M. McDermott, “Multiple sclerosis: sexual dysfunction and its response to medications,” Archives of Neurology, vol. 52, no. 9, pp. 862–868, 1995.
- C. D. Betts, S. J. Jones, C. G. Fowler, and C. J. Fowler, “Erectile dysfunction in multiple sclerosis. Associated neurological and neurophysiological deficits, and treatment of the condition,” Brain, vol. 117, part 6, pp. 1303–1310, 1994.
- D. Borello-France, W. Leng, M. O'Leary et al., “Bladder and sexual function among women with multiple sclerosis,” Multiple Sclerosis, vol. 10, no. 4, pp. 455–461, 2004.
- I. Gruenwald, Y. Vardi, I. Gartman et al., “Sexual dysfunction in females with multiple sclerosis: quantitative sensory testing,” Multiple Sclerosis, vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 95–105, 2007.
- Y. Seçıl, Y. Yetımalar, M. Gedizlioğlu, et al., “Sexual dysfunction and sympathetic skin response recorded from the genital region in women with multiple sclerosis,” Multiple Sclerosis, vol. 13, no. 6, pp. 742–748, 2007.
- C. Fowler, J. Miller, and M. Sharief, “Viagra (sildenafil citrate) for the treatment of erectile dysfunction in men with multiple sclerosis,” Annals of Neurology, vol. 46, p. 497, 1999.
- J. P. Hinds, B. H. Eidelman, and A. Wald, “Prevalence of bowel dysfunction in multiple sclerosis. A population survey,” Gastroenterology, vol. 98, no. 6, pp. 1538–1542, 1990.
- Y. W. Chia, C. J. Fowler, M. A. Kamm, M. M. Henry, M. C. Lemieux, and M. Swash, “Prevalence of bowel dysfunction in patients with multiple sclerosis and bladder dysfunction,” Journal of Neurology, vol. 242, no. 2, pp. 105–108, 1995.
- Y. W. Chia, K. P. Gill, J. S. Jameson et al., “Paradoxical puborectalis contraction is a feature of constipation in patients with multiple sclerosis,” Journal of Neurology Neurosurgery and Psychiatry, vol. 60, no. 1, pp. 31–35, 1996.
- J. Weber, P. Grise, and M. Roquebert, “Radiopaque markers transit and anorectal manometry in 16 patients with multiple sclerosis and urinary bladder dysfunction,” Diseases of the Colon and Rectum, vol. 30, no. 2, pp. 95–100, 1987.
- W. H. Jost, B. Schrank, A. Herold, and O. Leiss, “Functional outlet obstruction: anismus, spastic pelvic floor syndrome, and dyscoordination of the voluntary sphincter muscles. Definition, diagnosis, and treatment from the neurologic point of view,” Scandinavian Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 34, no. 5, pp. 449–453, 1999.
- A. B. Sterman, P. K. Coyle, D. J. Panasci, and R. Grimson, “Disseminated abnormalities of cardiovascular autonomic functions in multiple sclerosis,” Neurology, vol. 35, no. 11, pp. 1665–1668, 1985.
- A. J. McDougall and J. G. McLeod, “Autonomic nervous system function in multiple sclerosis,” Journal of the Neurological Sciences, vol. 215, no. 1-2, pp. 79–85, 2003.
- S. Merkelbach, U. Dillmann, C. Kölmel, J. Holz, and M. Müller, “Cardiovascular autonomic dysregulation and fatigue in multiple sclerosis,” Multiple Sclerosis, vol. 7, no. 5, pp. 320–326, 2001.
- J. de Sèze, T. Stojkovic, J. Y. Gauvrit et al., “Autonomic dysfunction in multiple sclerosis: cervical spinal cord atrophy correlates,” Journal of Neurology, vol. 248, no. 4, pp. 297–303, 2001.
- P. Flachenecker, K. Reiners, M. Krauser, A. Wolf, and K. V. Toyka, “Autonomic dysfunction in multiple sclerosis is related to disease activity and progression of disability,” Multiple Sclerosis, vol. 7, no. 5, pp. 327–334, 2001.
- B. Nazliel, C. Irkeç, and B. Koçer, “The roles of blink reflex and sympathetic skin response in multiple sclerosis diagnosis,” Multiple Sclerosis, vol. 8, no. 6, pp. 500–504, 2002.
- B. Elie and J. P. Louboutin, “Sympathetic skin response (SSR) is abnormal in multiple sclerosis,” Muscle and Nerve, vol. 18, no. 2, pp. 185–189, 1995.
- G. Pozzessere, P. Rossi, E. Valle, C. P. Froio, A. F. G. Petrucci, and C. Morocutti Md, “Autonomic involvement in multiple sclerosis: a pupillometric study,” Clinical Autonomic Research, vol. 7, no. 6, pp. 315–319, 1997.
- N. E. Cartlidge, “Autonomic function in multiple sclerosis,” Brain, vol. 95, no. 4, pp. 661–664, 1972.
- P. Flachenecker, A. Rufer, I. Bihler et al., “Fatigue in MS is related to sympathetic vasomotor dysfunction,” Neurology, vol. 61, no. 6, pp. 851–853, 2003.