- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 103081, 6 pages
Laryngeal Manifestations of Rheumatoid Arthritis
Department of Otolaryngology-Head & Neck Surgery, American University of Beirut Medical Center, P.O. Box 11-0236, Beirut, Lebanon
Received 1 March 2013; Accepted 23 May 2013
Academic Editor: Daniela Melchiorre
Copyright © 2013 A. L. Hamdan and D. Sarieddine. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. Pickhard, E. Smith, R. Rottscholl, S. Brosch, and R. Reiter, “Disorders of the Larynx and chronic Inflammatory diseases,” Laryngorhinootologie, vol. 91, no. 12, pp. 758–766, 2012.
- B. A. Gare, “Epidemiology,” Baillière's Clinical Rheumatology, vol. 12, pp. 191–208, 1998.
- A. Geterud, “Rheumatoid arthritis in the larynx,” Scandinavian Journal of Rheumatology, vol. 20, no. 3, article 215, 1991.
- H. Bienenstock, G. E. Ehrlich, and R. H. Freyberg, “Rheumatoid arthritis of the cricoarytenoid joint: a clinicopathologic study,” Arthritis and Rheumatism, vol. 6, pp. 48–63, 1963.
- E. R. Harris, A. Grossmann, and J. R. Martin, “Cricoarytenoid joint involvement in rheumatoid arthritis: its detection and manifestation,” Arthritis & Rheumatism, vol. 16, article 553, 1973.
- M. W. M. Bridger, A. F. Jahn, and A. W. P. Van Nostrand, “Laryngeal rheumatoid arthritis,” Laryngoscope, vol. 90, no. 2, pp. 296–303, 1980.
- G. V. Lawry, M. L. Finerman, and W. N. Hanafee, “Laryngeal involvement in rheumatoid arthritis. A clinical, laryngoscopic, and computerized tomographic study,” Arthritis and Rheumatism, vol. 27, no. 8, pp. 873–882, 1984.
- W. M. Mikkelson, I. F. Duff, and W. D. Robinson, “Unusual manifestation of rheumatoid nodules; report of three cases,” The Journal of the Michigan State Medical Society, vol. 54, no. 3, pp. 292–297, 1955.
- W. W. Montgomery, P. M. Perone, and L. A. Schall, “Arthritis of the cricoarytenoid joint,” Annals of Otology, Rhinology, and Laryngology, vol. 64, pp. 1025–1033, 1955.
- I. A. Polisar, “The crico-arytenoid joint: a diarthrodial articulation subject to,” The Laryngoscope, vol. 69, pp. 1129–1164, 1959.
- A. Grossman, J. R. Martin, and H. S. Root, “Rheumatoid arthritis of the cricoarytenoid joint,” Proceedings of the Canadian Otolaryngological Society, vol. 140, pp. 40–54, 1960.
- J. E. Pearson, “Rheumatoid arthritis of the larynx,” British Medical Journal, vol. 1, no. 5026, article 1047, 1957.
- W. S. Copeman, “Rheumatoid arthritis of the crico-arytenoid joints,” British Journal of Clinical Practice, vol. 1, no. 5032, pp. 1398–1399, 1957.
- E. Murano, Y. Hosako-Naito, N. Tayama et al., “Bamboo node: primary vocal fold lesion as evidence of autoimmune disease,” Journal of Voice, vol. 15, no. 3, pp. 441–450, 2001.
- R. Ylitalo, M. Heimbürger, and P.-Å. Lindestad, “Vocal fold deposits in autoimmune disease—an unusual cause of hoarseness,” Clinical Otolaryngology and Allied Sciences, vol. 28, no. 5, pp. 446–450, 2003.
- N. Bayar, S. A. Kara, I. Keleş, C. Koç, D. Altinok, and S. Orkun, “Cricoarytenoiditis in rheumatoid arthritis: radiologic and clinical study,” Journal of Otolaryngology, vol. 32, no. 6, pp. 373–378, 2003.
- P. V. Voulgari, D. Papazisi, M. Bai, P. Zagorianakou, D. Assimakopoulos, and A. A. Drosos, “Laryngeal involvement in rheumatoid arthritis,” Rheumatology International, vol. 25, no. 5, pp. 321–325, 2005.
- A. Grossman, J. R. Martin, and H. S. Root, “Rheumatoid arthritis of the crico-arvtenoid joint,” The Laryngoscope, vol. 71, pp. 530–544, 1961.
- L. G. Guerra, K. Y. Lau, and R. Marwah, “Upper airway obstruction as the sole manifestation of rheumatoid arthritis,” Journal of Rheumatology, vol. 19, no. 6, pp. 974–976, 1992.
- B. Benjamin, “Laryngeal manifestations of systemic diseases,” in Endolaryngeal Surgery, Martin Dunitz, London, UK, 1998.
- W. W. Montgomery, “Cricoarytenoid arthritis,” The Laryngoscope, vol. 73, pp. 801–836, 1963.
- K. Masilamani and A. Gandhi, “Cricoarytenoid arthritis presenting as croup,” Journal of the Royal Society of Medicine, vol. 102, no. 11, pp. 491–492, 2009.
- K. Amernik, “Glottis morphology and perceptive-acoustic characteristics of voice and speech in patients with rheumatoid arthritis,” Annales Academiae Medicae Stetinensis, vol. 53, no. 3, pp. 55–65, 2007.
- C. Tarnowska, K. Amernik, G. Matyja, I. Brzosko, H. Grzelec, and M. Burak, “Fixation of the crico-arythenoid joints in rheumatoid arthritis–preliminary report,” Otolaryngologia polska. The Polish otolaryngology, vol. 58, no. 4, pp. 843–849, 2004.
- Y. Kumai, D. Murakami, M. Masuda, and E. Yumoto, “Arytenoid adduction to treat impaired adduction of the vocal fold due to rheumatoid arthritis,” Auris Nasus Larynx, vol. 34, no. 4, pp. 545–548, 2007.
- D. H. Bossingham and F. G. Simpson, “Acute laryngeal obstruction in rheumatoid arthritis,” British Medical Journal, vol. 312, no. 7026, pp. 295–296, 1996.
- T. Miyanohara, T. Igarashi, H. Suzuki, Y. Hirabayashi, and N. Seo, “Aggravation of laryngeal rheumatoid arthritis after use of a laryngeal mask airway,” Journal of Clinical Rheumatology, vol. 12, no. 3, pp. 142–144, 2006.
- G. Berjawi, I. Uthman, L. Mahfoud et al., “Cricothyroid joint abnormalities in patients with rheumatoid arthritis,” Journal of Voice, vol. 24, no. 6, pp. 732–737, 2010.
- P. Woo, “Rheumatoid nodules of the larynx,” Otolaryngology: Head and Neck Surgery, vol. 113, no. 1, pp. 147–150, 1995.
- D. S. Sinclair, P. S. Rosen, and A. M. Noyek, “Systemic lupus erythematosus with a vocal cord granulomatous nodule,” Journal of Otolaryngology, vol. 5, no. 4, pp. 337–342, 1976.
- A. D. Teitel, C. R. MacKenzie, R. Stern, and S. A. Paget, “Laryngeal involvement in systemic lupus erythematosus,” Seminars in Arthritis and Rheumatism, vol. 22, no. 3, pp. 203–214, 1992.
- S. M. Korbet, L. J. Block, and E. J. Lewis, “Laryngeal complications in a patient with inactive systemic lupus erythematosus,” Archives of Internal Medicine, vol. 144, no. 9, pp. 1867–1868, 1984.
- D. Maxwell and R. Silver, “Laryngeal manifestations of drug induced lupus,” Journal of Rheumatology, vol. 14, no. 2, pp. 375–377, 1987.
- G. A. Smith, P. H. Ward, and G. Berci, “Laryngeal lupus erythematosus,” Journal of Laryngology and Otology, vol. 92, no. 1, pp. 67–73, 1978.
- J. M. Toomey, G. G. Snyder 3rd., R. M. Maenza, and N. F. Rothfield, “Acute epiglottitis due to systemic lupus erythematosus,” Laryngoscope, vol. 84, no. 4, pp. 522–527, 1974.
- G. A. Gresham and T. D. Kellaway, “Rheumatoid disease in the larynx and lung,” Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases, vol. 17, no. 3, pp. 286–292, 1958.
- F. C. Arnett, S. M. Edworthy, D. A. Bloch et al., “The American Rheumatism Association 1987 revised criteria for the classification of rheumatoid arthritis,” Arthritis and Rheumatism, vol. 31, no. 3, pp. 315–324, 1988.
- W. F. Abadir and P. M. Forster, “Rheumatoid vocal cord nodules,” Journal of Laryngology and Otology, vol. 88, no. 5, pp. 473–478, 1974.
- Y. Kalugina, G. J. Petruzzelli, and E. M. Wojcik, “Fine-needle aspiration of rheumatoid nodule: a case report with review of diagnostic features and difficulties,” Diagnostic Cytopathology, vol. 28, no. 6, pp. 322–324, 2003.
- Y. Hosako, M. Nakamura, N. Tayama et al., “Laryngeal involvements in systemic lupus erythematosus: a case report,” Larynx, vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 171–175, 1993.
- B. A. Friedman and D. H. Rice, “Rheumatoid nodules of the larynx,” Archives of Otolaryngology, vol. 101, no. 6, pp. 361–363, 1975.
- H. V. L. Ramos, J. Pillon, E. M. Kosugi, R. Fujita, and P. Pontes, “Laryngeal assessment in reumatic disease patients,” Revista Brasileira de Otorrinolaringologia, vol. 71, no. 4, pp. 499–503, 2005.
- R. Perouse, B. Coulombeau, G. Cornut, and M. Bouchayer, ““Bamboo nodes”: a clinical study of 19 cases,” Revue de Laryngologie Otologie Rhinologie, vol. 122, no. 5, pp. 299–302, 2001.
- C. Schwemmle and M. Ptok, “Bamboo nodes as the cause of dysphonias in autoimmune diseases,” HNO, vol. 55, no. 7, pp. 564–568, 2007.
- A. G. Jurik and U. Pedersen, “Rheumatoid arthritis of the crico-arytenoid and crico-thyroid joints: a radiological and clinical study,” Clinical Radiology, vol. 35, no. 3, pp. 233–236, 1984.
- L. Brazeau-Lamontagne, B. Charlin, R.-Y. Levesque, and A. Lussier, “Cricoarytenoiditis: CT assessment in rheumatoid arthritis,” Radiology, vol. 158, no. 2, pp. 463–466, 1986.
- C. M. Haben, F. P. Chagnon, and K. Zakhary, “Laryngeal manifestation of autoimmune disease: rheumatoid arthritis mimicking a cartilaginous neoplasm,” Journal of Otolaryngology, vol. 34, no. 3, pp. 203–206, 2005.
- R. W. Bastian, “Chronic non-specific disease of the larynx,” in Diseases of the Nose, Throat, Ear, Head and Neck, J. J. Ballenger, Ed., pp. 616–630, Lea and Febiger, London, UK, 14th edition, 1991.
- H. E. Eckel, C. Wittekindt, U. Schroeder, J. P. Klussmann, and C. Sittel, “Management of bilateral arytenoid cartilage fixation versus recurrent laryngeal nerve paralysis,” Annals of Otology, Rhinology and Laryngology, vol. 112, no. 2, pp. 103–108, 2003.
- N. Erb, A. V. Pace, J. P. Delamere, and G. D. Kitas, “Dysphagia and stridor caused by laryngeal rheumatoid arthritis,” Rheumatology, vol. 40, no. 8, pp. 952–953, 2001.
- C. S. Darke, L. Wolman, and A. Young, “Laryngeal stridor in rheumatoid arthritis,” British Medical Journal, vol. 1, pp. 1279–1282, 1958.
- D. T. Link, T. V. McCaffrey, M. J. Link, W. E. Krauss, and M. Troy Ferguson, “Cervicomedullary compression: aAn unrecognized cause of vocal cord paralysis in rheumatoid arthritis,” Annals of Otology, Rhinology and Laryngology, vol. 107, no. 6, pp. 462–471, 1998.
- J. C. Watkinson, “Stridor in rheumatoid arthritis may be caused by laryngeal amyloidosis,” British Medical Journal, vol. 312, no. 7040, article 1227, 1996.
- M. A. Habib, “Intra-articular steroid injection in acute rheumatoid arthritis of the larynx,” Journal of Laryngology and Otology, vol. 91, no. 10, pp. 909–910, 1977.
- P. J. S. M. Kerstens, A. M. T. Boerbooms, M. E. C. Jeurissen, J. H. Fast, K. J. M. Assmann, and L. B. A. Van De Putte, “Accelerated nodulosis during low dose methotrexate therapy for rheumatoid arthritis. An analysis of ten cases,” Journal of Rheumatology, vol. 19, no. 6, pp. 867–871, 1992.
- E. Hilgert, B. Toleti, K. Kruger, and I. Nejedlo, “Hoarseness due to bamboo nodes in patients with autoimmune diseases: a review of literature,” Journal of Voice, vol. 22, no. 3, pp. 343–350, 2008.