- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Applied and Environmental Soil Science
Volume 2010 (2010), Article ID 816073, 7 pages
Role of Earthworms in Soil Fertility Maintenance through the Production of Biogenic Structures
1Department of Zoology, Feroze Gandhi Post Graduate Degree College, Raebareli 229001, Uttar Pradesh, India
2School of Environmental Sciences, Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi 110067, India
Received 26 July 2009; Accepted 22 October 2009
Academic Editor: Natchimuthu Karmegam
Copyright © 2010 Tunira Bhadauria and Krishan Gopal Saxena. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- D. A. Wardle, Communities and Ecosystems: Linking the Aboveground and Belowground Components, Princeton University Press, Oxford, UK, 2002.
- E. Barrios, “Soil biota, ecosystem services and land productivity,” Ecological Economics, vol. 64, no. 2, pp. 269–285, 2007.
- P. Mora, C. Seugé, J. L. Chotte, and C. Rouland, “Physico-chemical typology of the biogenic structures of termites and earthworms: a comparative analysis,” Biology and Fertility of Soils, vol. 37, no. 4, pp. 245–249, 2003.
- L. Brussaard, V. M. Behan-Pelletier, D. E. Bignell, et al., “Biodiversity and ecosystem functioning in soil,” Ambio, vol. 26, no. 8, pp. 563–570, 1997.
- P. Lavelle and A. V. Spain, Soil Ecology, Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht, The Netherlands, 2001.
- P. Lavelle, A. Chauvel, and C. Fragoso, “Faunal activity in acid soils,” in Plant-Soil Interactions at Low pH: Principles and Management, R. A. Date, Ed., pp. 201–211, Kluwer Academic Publishers, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, 1995.
- P. Lavelle and A. Martin, “Small-scale and large-scale effects of endogeic earthworms on soil organic matter dynamics in soils of the humid tropics,” Soil Biology & Biochemistry, vol. 24, no. 12, pp. 1491–1498, 1992.
- C. Villenave, F. Charpentier, P. Lavelle, et al., “Effects of earthworms on soil organic matter and nutrient dynamics following earthworm inoculation in field experimental situations,” in Earthworm Management in Tropical Agroecosystems, P. Lavelle, L. Brussaard, and P. Hendrix, Eds., pp. 173–197, CAB International, Wallingford, UK, 1999.
- M. B. Bouche, “Statégies lombriciennes,” in Soil Organisms as Component of Ecosystems, U. Lohm and T. Persson, Eds., pp. 122–132, Ecological Bulletin, Stockholm, Sweden, 1977.
- M. V. Reddy, “Effects of fire on the nutrient content and microflora of casts of Pheretima alaxandri,” in Earthworm Ecology from Darwin to Vermiculture, J. E. Satchell, Ed., pp. 209–213.
- T. Bhadauria, “Impact of intensive agricultural practices on diversity of earthworms in Raebareli District of Indogangetic plains, India,” Final Report, Department of Science And Technology, Govt of India, New Delhi, India, 2008.
- G. G. Brown, I. Barois, and P. Lavelle, “Regulation of soil organic matter dynamics and microbial activity in the drilosphere and the role of interactions with other edaphic functional domains,” European Journal of Soil Biology, vol. 36, no. 3-4, pp. 177–198, 2000.
- C. G. Jones, J. H. Lawton, and M. Shachak, “Organisms as ecosystem engineers,” Oikos, vol. 69, no. 3, pp. 373–386, 1994.
- M. A. McLean and D. Parkinson, “Impacts of the epigeic earthworm Dendrobaena octaedra on oribatid mite community diversity and microarthropod abundances in pine forest floor: a mesocosm study,” Applied Soil Ecology, vol. 7, no. 2, pp. 125–136, 1998.
- T. Bhadauria, P. S. Ramakrishnan, and K. N. Srivastava, “Population dynamics of earthworms during crop rotation under rainfed agriculture in central Himalayas, India,” Applied Soil Ecology, vol. 6, no. 3, pp. 205–215, 1997.
- B. Sinha, T. Bhadauria, P. S. Ramakrishnan, K. G. Saxena, and R. K. Maikhuri, “Impact of landscape modification on earthworm diversity and abundance in the Hariyali sacred landscape, Garhwal Himalaya,” Pedobiologia, vol. 47, no. 4, pp. 357–370, 2003.
- T. Bhadauria and K. G. Saxena, “Influence of land scape modification on earthworm biodiversity in the Garhwal region of Central Himalayas,” in Proceedings of Indo US Workshop on Vermitechnology in Human Welfare(Indo—US Science and Technology Forum), June 2007, C. A. Edwards, R. Jeyaraaj, and I. Jayaraaj, Eds., pp. 80–95, Coimbatoor, Tamil Nadu, India, 2009.
- T. Bhadauria and P. S. Ramakrishnan, “Earthworm population dynamics and contribution to nutrient cycling during cropping and fallow phases of shifting agriculture (jhum) in north-east India,” Journal of Applied Ecology, vol. 26, no. 2, pp. 505–520, 1989.
- R. Lal, “Soil conservation and biodiversity,” in The Biodiversity of Microorganisms and Invertebrates: Its Role in Sustainable Agriculture, D. L. Hawksworth, Ed., pp. 89–103, CAB International, Wallingford, UK, 1999.
- S. Scheu, “Effects of earthworms on plant growth: patterns and perspectives,” Pedobiologia, vol. 47, no. 5-6, pp. 846–856, 2003.
- S. Coq, B. G. Barthès, R. Oliver, B. Rabary, and E. Blanchart, “Earthworm activity affects soil aggregation and organic matter dynamics according to the quality and localization of crop residues—an experimental study (Madagascar),” Soil Biology & Biochemistry, vol. 39, no. 8, pp. 2119–2128, 2007.
- P. Lavelle, “Faunal activities and soil processes: adaptive strategies that determine ecosystem function,” Advances in Ecological Research, vol. 27, pp. 93–132, 1997.
- S. Scheu, “Microbial activity and nutrient dynamics in earthworm casts (Lumbricidae),” Biology and Fertility of Soils, vol. 5, no. 3, pp. 230–234, 1987.
- J. C. Y. Marinissen and P. C. De Ruiter, “Contribution of earthworms to carbon and nitrogen cycling in agro-ecosystems,” Agriculture, Ecosystems and Environment, vol. 47, no. 1, pp. 59–74, 1993.
- P. Mora, E. Miambi, J. J. Jiménez, T. Decaëns, and C. Rouland, “Functional complement of biogenic structures produced by earthworms, termites and ants in the neotropical savannas,” Soil Biology & Biochemistry, vol. 37, no. 6, pp. 1043–1048, 2005.
- R. J. Haynes and P. M. Fraser, “A comparison of aggregate stability and biological activity in earthworm casts and uningested soil as affected by amendment with wheat or Lucerne straw,” European Journal of Soil Science, vol. 49, no. 4, pp. 629–636, 1998.
- R. D. Kale, “Significant contribution with Vermiculture,” in Proceedings of the DST and DBT Sponsored National Seminar Cum Workshop on Conservation and Inventerization of Soil Biota, Kathireswari and R. D. Kale, Eds., pp. 1–2, Tiruchengode, Tamil Nadu, India, 2008.
- R. W. Parmelee, P. J. Bohlen, and J. M. Blair, “Earthworms and nutrient cycling processes: integrating across the ecological hierarchy,” in Earthworm Ecology, C. Edwards, Ed., pp. 179–211, St. Lucie Press, Boca Raton, Fla, USA, 1998.
- I. Barois and P. Lavelle, “Changes in respiration rate and some physicochemical properties of a tropical soil during transit through Pontoscolex corethrurus (glossoscolecidae, oligochaeta),” Soil Biology & Biochemistry, vol. 18, no. 5, pp. 539–541, 1986.
- T. Bhadauria and P. S. Ramakrishnan, “Population dynamics of earthworms and their activity in forest ecosystems of north-east India,” Journal of Tropical Ecology, vol. 7, no. 3, pp. 305–318, 1991.
- I. Barois, Interactions entre les Vers de terre (Oligochaeta) tropicaux géophages et la microflore pour l'exploitation de la matiére organique des sols, Ph.D. thesis, University of Paris, Paris, France, 1987.
- E. Blanchart, P. Lavelle, E. Braudeau, Y. Le Bissonnais, and C. Valentin, “Regulation of soil structure by geophagous earthworm activities in humid savannas of Cote d'Ivoire,” Soil Biology & Biochemistry, vol. 29, no. 3-4, pp. 431–439, 1997.
- M. J. Shipitalo and R. Protz, “Chemistry and micromorphology of aggregation in earthworm casts,” Geoderma, vol. 45, no. 3-4, pp. 357–374, 1989.
- R. D. Kale, Earthworms; Cinderella of Organic Farming, Prism Books Pvt, Bangalore, India, 1998.
- P. Lavelle, “Earthworm activities and the soil system,” Biology and Fertility of Soils, vol. 6, no. 3, pp. 237–251, 1988.
- J. Six, E. T. Elliott, K. Paustian, and J. W. Doran, “Aggregation and soil organic matter accumulation in cultivated and native grassland soils,” Soil Science Society of America Journal, vol. 62, no. 5, pp. 1367–1377, 1998.
- A. Martin, “Short- and long-term effects of the endogeic earthworm Millsonia anomala (Omodeo) (Megascolecidæ, Oligochæta) of tropical savannas, on soil organic matter,” Biology and Fertility of Soils, vol. 11, no. 3, pp. 234–238, 1991.
- G. Guggenberger, R. J. Thomas, and W. Zech, “Soil organic matter within earthworm casts of an anecic-endogeic tropical pasture community, Colombia,” Applied Soil Ecology, vol. 3, no. 3, pp. 263–274, 1996.
- H. Bossuyt, J. Six, and P. F. Hendrix, “Protection of soil carbon by microaggregates within earthworm casts,” Soil Biology & Biochemistry, vol. 37, no. 2, pp. 251–258, 2005.
- M. M. Pulleman, J. Six, A. Uyl, J. C. Y. Marinissen, and A. G. Jongmans, “Earthworms and management affect organic matter incorporation and microaggregate formation in agricultural soils,” Applied Soil Ecology, vol. 29, no. 1, pp. 1–15, 2005.
- T. Decaëns, “Degradation dynamics of surface earthworm casts in grasslands of the eastern plains, of Colombia,” Biology and Fertility of Soils, vol. 32, no. 2, pp. 149–156, 2000.
- C. A. Edwards and P. J. Bohlen, “The Role of Earthworms in Organic matter and nutrient cycles,” in Biology and Ecology of Earthworms, pp. 155–180, Chapman and Hall, NY, USA, 1996.
- M. McInerney and T. Bolger, “Decomposition of Quercus petraea litter: influence of burial, comminution and earthworms,” Soil Biology & Biochemistry, vol. 32, no. 14, pp. 1989–2000, 2000.
- L. Mariani, J. J. Jiménez, N. Asakawa, R. J. Thomas, and T. Decaëns, “What happens to earthworm casts in the soil? A field study of carbon and nitrogen dynamics in Neotropical savannahs,” Soil Biology & Biochemistry, vol. 39, no. 3, pp. 757–767, 2007.
- G. S. Bhandari, N. S. Ranghawa, and M. S. Maskina, “On the polysaccharide content of earthworm casts,” Current Science, vol. 36, pp. 519–520, 1967.
- K. H. Domsch and H.-J. Banse, “Mykologische untersuchungen an regenwurmexkrementen,” Soil Biology & Biochemistry, vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 31–38, 1972.
- T. Desjardins, F. Charpentier, B. Pashanasi, A. Pando-Bahuon, P. Lavelle, and A. Mariotti, “Effects of earthworm inoculation on soil organic matter dynamics of a cultivated ultisol,” Pedobiologia, vol. 47, no. 5-6, pp. 835–841, 2003.
- X. Zhang, J. Wang, H. Xie, J. Wang, and W. Zech, “Comparison of organic compounds in the particle-size fractions of earthworm casts and surrounding soil in humid Laos,” Applied Soil Ecology, vol. 23, no. 2, pp. 147–153, 2003.
- S. J. Fonte, A. Y. Y. Kong, C. van Kessel, P. F. Hendrix, and J. Six, “Influence of earthworm activity on aggregate-associated carbon and nitrogen dynamics differs with agroecosystem management,” Soil Biology & Biochemistry, vol. 39, no. 5, pp. 1014–1022, 2007.
- I. Barois, P. Lavelle, and J. K. Kajondo, “Adaptive strategies and short term effects of selected earthworm species, selection of particles,” in Conservation of Soil Fertility in Low-Input Agricultural Systems of the Humid Tropics by Manipulating Earthworm Communities, P. Lavelle, Ed., pp. 35–67, IRD, Bondy, France, 1992, Report of the CCE Project No.TS2.0292-F(EDB).
- T. Bhadauria and P. S. Ramakrishnan, “Role of earthworms in nitrogen cycling during the cropping phase of shifting agriculture (Jhum) in north-east India,” Biology and Fertility of Soils, vol. 22, no. 4, pp. 350–354, 1996.
- J. M. Blair, R. W. Parmelee, M. F. Allen, D. A. Mccartney, and B. R. Stinner, “Changes in soil N pools in response to earthworm population manipulations in agroecosystems with different N sources,” Soil Biology & Biochemistry, vol. 29, no. 3-4, pp. 361–367, 1997.
- H. Bossuyta, J. Six, and P. F. Hendrix, “Comparison of organic compounds in the particle-size fractions of earthworm casts and surrounding soil in humid Laos. Protection of soil carbon by micro aggregates within earthworm casts,” Soil Biology & Biochemistry, vol. 37, pp. 251–258, 2005.
- B. E. Ruz-Jerez, P. R. Ball, and R. W. Tillman, “Laboratory assessment of nutrient release from a pasture soil receiving grass or clover residues, in the presence or absence of Lumbricus rubellus or Eisenia foetida,” Soil Biology & Biochemistry, vol. 24, pp. 1529–1534, 1992.
- P. J. Bohlen and C. A. Edwards, “Earthworm effects on N dynamics and soil respiration in microcosms receiving organic and inorganic nutrients,” Soil Biology & Biochemistry, vol. 27, no. 3, pp. 341–348, 1995.
- J. Cortez, G. Billes, and M. B. Bouché, “Effect of climate, soil type and earthworm activity on nitrogen transfer from a nitrogen-15-labelled decomposing material under field conditions,” Biology and Fertility of Soils, vol. 30, no. 4, pp. 318–327, 2000.
- O. Daniel and J. M. Anderson, “Microbial biomass and activity in contrasting soil materials after passage through the gut of the earthworm Lumbricus rubellus Hoffmeister,” Soil Biology & Biochemistry, vol. 24, no. 5, pp. 465–470, 1992.
- V. Wolters and R. G. Joergensen, “Microbial carbon turnover in beech forest soils worked by Aporrectodea caliginosa (Savigny) (Oligochaeta:Lumbricidae),” Soil Biology & Biochemistry, vol. 24, no. 2, pp. 171–177, 1992.
- M. B. Postma-Blaauw, J. Bloem, J. H. Faber, J. W. van Groenigen, R. G. M. de Goede, and L. Brussaard, “Earthworm species composition affects the soil bacterial community and net nitrogen mineralization,” Pedobiologia, vol. 50, no. 3, pp. 243–256, 2006.
- G. G. Brown, B. Pashanasi, C. Villenave, et al., “Effects of earthworms on plant production in the tropics,” in Earthworm Management in Tropical Agro Ecosystems, P. Lavelle, L. Brussaard, and P. Hendrix, Eds., pp. 87–147, CABI Publishing, Wallinford, UK, 1999.
- G. G. Brown, P. F. Hendrix, and M. H. Beare, “Earthworms (Lumbricus rubellus) and the fate of in surface-applied sorghum residues,” Soil Biology & Biochemistry, vol. 30, no. 13, pp. 1701–1705, 1998.
- G. G. Brown, C. A. Edwards, and L. Brussaard, “How earthworms affect plant growth: burrowing into the mechanisms,” in Earthworm Ecology, C. A. Edwards, Ed., pp. 13–49, CRC Press, Boca Raton, Fla, USA, 2nd edition, 2004.
- J. Cortez and R. H. Hameed, “Simultaneous effects of plants and earthworms on mineralisation of -labelled organic compounds adsorbed onto soil size fractions,” Biology and Fertility of Soils, vol. 33, no. 3, pp. 218–225, 2001.
- R. D. Kale, “The need for an interdisciplinary approach in understanding the importance of earthworms in India,” in Proceedings of Indo US Workshop on Vermitechnology in Human Welfare (Indo—US Science and Technology Forum), June 2007, C. A. Edwards, R. Jeyaraaj, and I. Jayaraaj, Eds., p. 164, Coimbatoor, Tamil Nadu, India, 2009.