- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Applied and Environmental Soil Science
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 201462, 11 pages
Land Application of Biosolids in the USA: A Review
Indian River Research and Education Center, University of Florida, 2199 S Rock Road, Fort Pierce, FL 34945, USA
Received 2 February 2012; Revised 29 May 2012; Accepted 12 June 2012
Academic Editor: Silvana I. Torri
Copyright © 2012 Qin Lu et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Citations to this Article [21 citations]
The following is the list of published articles that have cited the current article.
- Marcia S. DeLonge, Rebecca Ryals, and Whendee L. Silver, “A Lifecycle Model to Evaluate Carbon Sequestration Potential and Greenhouse Gas Dynamics of Managed Grasslands,” Ecosystems, 2013.
- Andrea C. Blaine, Courtney D. Rich, Lakhwinder S. Hundal, Christopher Lau, Marc A. Mills, Kimberly M. Harris, and Christopher P. Higgins, “Uptake of Perfluoroalkyl Acids into Edible Crops via Land Applied Biosolids: Field and Greenhouse Studies,” Environmental Science & Technology, pp. 131121153942007, 2013.
- Sami Al-Dhumri, Firew H. Beshah, Nichola A. Porter, Barry Meehan, and Roger Wrigley, “An assessment of the guidelines in Victoria, Australia, for land application of biosolids based on plant-available nitrogen,” Soil Research, vol. 51, no. 6, pp. 529, 2013.
- Pedro Jurado-Guerra, Miguel Luna-Luna, Ernesto Flores-Ancira, and Ruben Saucedo-Teran, “Residual Effects of Biosolids Application on Forage Production of Semiarid Grassland in Jalisco, Mexico,” Applied and Environmental Soil Science, vol. 2013, pp. 1–5, 2013.
- Maria L. Silveira, and George A. O'Connor, “Temperature Effects on Phosphorus Release from a Biosolids-Amended Soil,” Applied and Environmental Soil Science, vol. 2013, pp. 1–8, 2013.
- Bryant C. Scharenbroch, Elsa N. Meza, Michelle Catania, and Kelby Fite, “Biochar and Biosolids Increase Tree Growth and Improve Soil Quality for Urban Landscapes,” Journal Of Environmental Quality, vol. 42, no. 5, pp. 1372–1385, 2013.
- Srikar Velagapudi, and Ashok Kumar, “Characterization of the Morphology of Particulate Matter inside Farm Houses Located near Biosolids-Applied Agricultural Fields,” Journal of Hazardous, Toxic, and Radioactive Waste, pp. A4014005, 2014.
- B. B. Maruthi Sridhar, Jason D. Witter, Chenxi Wu, Alison L. Spongberg, and Robert K. Vincent, “Effect of Biosolid Amendments on the Metal and Nutrient Uptake and Spectral Characteristics of Five Vegetable Plants,” Water, Air, & Soil Pollution, vol. 225, no. 9, 2014.
- Linghong Zhang, Chunbao (Charles) Xu, Pascale Champagne, and Warren Mabee, “Overview of current biological and thermo-chemical treatment technologies for sustainable sludge management,” Waste Management & Research, vol. 32, no. 7, pp. 586–600, 2014.
- Ratnaji Mudragada, Somshekhar Kundral, Ernesto Coro, Manuel E. Moncholi, Shonali Laha, and Berrin Tansel, “Phosphorous removal during sludge dewatering to prevent struvite formation in sludge digesters by full scale evaluation,” Journal of Water Process Engineering, vol. 2, pp. 37–42, 2014.
- Andrea C. Blaine, Courtney D. Rich, Erin M. Sedlacko, Lakhwinder S. Hundal, Kuldip Kumar, Christopher Lau, Marc A. Mills, Kimberly M. Harris, and Christopher P. Higgins, “Perfluoroalkyl Acid Distribution in Various Plant Compartments of Edible Crops Grown in Biosolids-Amended soils,” Environmental Science & Technology, pp. 140620130601000, 2014.
- Crystal A. McCall, Katerina S. Jordan, Marc B. Habash, and Kari E. Dunfield, “Monitoring Bacteroides spp. markers, nutrients, metals and Escherichia coli in soil and leachate after land application of three types of municipal biosolids,” Water Research, 2014.
- Amira Oun, Arun Kumar, Timothy Harrigan, Andreas Angelakis, and Irene Xagoraraki, “Effects of Biosolids and Manure Application on Microbial Water Quality in Rural Areas in the US,” Water, vol. 6, no. 12, pp. 3701–3723, 2014.
- Inhong Song, Teodulo Dominguez, Christopher Y. Choi, and Moon Seong Kang, “Impact of tilling on biosolids drying and indicator microorganisms survival during solar drying process,” Journal of Environmental Science and Health, Part A, vol. 49, no. 14, pp. 1701–1709, 2014.
- Cody B. Wallace, Michael G. Burton, Steven G. Hefner, and Thomas A. DeWitt, “Sediment, Nutrient, and Bacterial Runoff from Biosolids and Mineral Fertilizer Applied to a Mixed Cool- and Native Warm-Season Grassland in the Ozark Mountains,” Applied and Environmental Soil Science, vol. 2014, pp. 1–7, 2014.
- Philipp Wilfert, Prashanth Suresh Kumar, Leon Korving, Geert-Jan Witkamp, and Mark C. M. van Loosdrecht, “The Relevance of Phosphorus and Iron Chemistry to the Recovery of Phosphorus from Wastewater: A Review,” Environmental Science & Technology, pp. 150526164622005, 2015.
- Derya Yucel, Celal Yucel, Ekrem L. Aksakal, Kenan Barik, Maninder Khosa, Irfan Aziz, and Khandakar Rafiq Islam, “Impacts of biosolids application on soil quality under alternate year no-till corn–soybean rotation,” Water, Air, & Soil Pollution, vol. 226, no. 6, 2015.
- S. Pilli, P. Bhunia, S. Yan, R.D. Tyagi, and R.Y. Surampalli, “Methodology for the quantification of greenhouse gas emissions during land application of sewage sludge,” Greenhouse Gas Measurement and Management, pp. 1–23, 2015.
- Richard L. Haney, Virginia L. Jin, Mari-Vaughn V. Johnson, Michael J. White, and Jeffrey G. Arnold, “On-site Assessment of Extractable Soil Nutrients after Long-term Biosolids Applications to Perennial Forage,” Communications in Soil Science and Plant Analysis, pp. 150227132449000, 2015.
- Chirag M. Mehta, Wendell O. Khunjar, Vivi Nguyen, Stephan Tait, and Damien J. Batstone, “Technologies to Recover Nutrients from Waste Streams: A Critical Review,” Critical Reviews in Environmental Science and Technology, vol. 45, no. 4, pp. 385–427, 2015.
- Courtney D. Rich, Andrea C. Blaine, Lakhwinder Hundal, and Christopher P. Higgins, “Bioaccumulation of Perfluoroalkyl Acids by Earthworms (Eisenia fetida) Exposed to Contaminated Soils,” Environmental Science & Technology, vol. 49, no. 2, pp. 881–888, 2015.