- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Applied and Environmental Soil Science
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 439567, 9 pages
Using Reflectance Spectroscopy and Artificial Neural Network to Assess Water Infiltration Rate into the Soil Profile
1Soil Erosion Research Station, Soil Conservation and Drainage Division, Ministry of Agriculture, c/o Rupin Institute, Emek-Hefer 40250, Israel
2Ariel University Center of Samaria, Israel
3Department of Environmental Sciences, Weizmann Institute of Science, Rehovot 76100, Israel
4Department of Geography and the Human Environment, Tel-Aviv University, Remote Sensing and GIS Laboratory, P.O. Box 39040, Ramat Aviv, Tel Aviv 69978, Israel
Received 8 November 2011; Revised 6 April 2012; Accepted 18 June 2012
Academic Editor: Raphael Viscarra Rossel
Copyright © 2012 Naftali Goldshleger et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. Agassi, I. Shainberg, and J. Morin, “Effect of raindrop impact energy and water salinity on infiltration rates of sodic soils,” Soil Science Society of America Journal, vol. 45, no. 1, pp. 848–851, 1981.
- M. Agassi, J. Morin, and I. Shainberg, “Effect of raindrop impact energy and water salinity on infiltration rates of sodic soils,” Soil Science Society of America Journal, vol. 49, no. 1, pp. 186–190, 1985.
- S. M. De Jong, “The analysis of spectroscopical data to map soil types and soil crusts of Mediterranean eroded soils,” Soil Technology, vol. 5, no. 3, pp. 199–211, 1992.
- J. A. M. Demattê, R. C. Campos, M. C. Alves, P. R. Fiorio, and M. R. Nanni, “Visible-NIR reflectance: a new approach on soil evaluation,” Geoderma, vol. 121, no. 1-2, pp. 95–112, 2004.
- N. Goldshleger, E. Ben-Dor, Y. Benyamini, D. G. Blumberg, and M. Agassi, “Soil crusting and infiltration process as monitored by soil reflectance spectroscopy in the SWIR region,” International Journal of Remote Sensing, vol. 23, no. 19, pp. 3909–3920, 2002.
- E. Ben Dor, N. Goldshleger, M. Eshel, V. Mirablis, and U. Basson, “Combined active and passive remote sensing methods for assessing soil salinity,” in Remote Sensing of Soil Salinization: Impact and Land Management, G. Metternicht and A. Zinck, Eds., pp. 235–255, CRC Press, Boca Raton, Fla, USA, 2009.
- N. Goldshleger, E. Ben-Dor, Y. Benyamini, D. Blumberg, and M. Agassi, “The spectral reflectance of soil's structural crust in the SWIR region (1.2–2.5 μm),” Terra Nova, vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 12–17, 2001.
- N. Goldshleger, E. Ben-Dor, Y. Benyamini, and M. Agassi, “Soil reflectance as a tool for assessing physical crust arrangement of four typical soils in Israel,” Soil Science, vol. 169, no. 10, pp. 677–687, 2004.
- N. Goldshleger, E. Ben-Dor, A. Chudnovsky, and M. Agassi, “Soil reflectance as a generic tool for assessing infiltration rate induced by structural crust for heterogeneous soils,” European Journal of Soil Science, vol. 60, no. 6, pp. 1038–1051, 2009.
- E. Ben-Dor, N. Goldlshleger, Y. Benyamini, D. G. Blumberg, and M. Agassi, “The spectral reflectance properties of soil structural crusts in the 1.2- to 2.5-μm spectral region,” Soil Science Society of America Journal, vol. 67, no. 1, pp. 289–299, 2003.
- E. Ben-Dor, N. Goldshleger, O. Braun et al., “Monitoring infiltration rates in semiarid soils using airborne hyperspectral technology,” International Journal of Remote Sensing, vol. 25, no. 13, pp. 2607–2624, 2004.
- P. Williams and K. Norris, Near-Infrared Technology in The Agricultural and Food Industries, American Association of Cereal Chemists, 1987.
- E. Ben-Dor, K. Patkin, A. Banin, and A. Karnieli, “Mapping of several soil properties using DAIS-7915 hyperspectral scanner data—a case study over soils in Israel,” International Journal of Remote Sensing, vol. 23, no. 6, pp. 1043–1062, 2002.
- R. Clark, “Spectroscopy of rocks and minerals,” in Manual of Remote Sensing, A. Rencz, Ed., pp. 3–58, John Wiley & Sons, 1999.
- H. W. Siesler, Y. Ozaki, S. Kawata, and H. M. Heise, Eds., Near-Infrared Spectroscopy. Principles, Instruments, Applications, Wiley-VCH, Weinheim, Germany, 2002.
- Y. Dan and Z. Raz, Soil Association Map of Israel, Volcani Institute for Agricultural Research, Israel, 1970.
- Keys to soil Taxonomy, Soil Survey Staff, “Soil Taxonomy : A system of soil classification for making and interapating soils surveys,” US Department of Agriculture, 1999.
- E. Ben-Dor and A. Banin, “Visible and near infrared (0.4–1.1mm) analysis of arid and semi arid soils,” Remote Sensing of Environment, vol. 48, no. 3, pp. 261–274, 1995.
- L. Kooistra, R. Wehrens, W. Leuven, and L. Buydens, “Possibilities of visible-near-infrared spectroscopy for the assessment of soil contamination in river floodplains,” Analytica Chimica Acta, vol. 446, no. 1-2, pp. 97–105, 2001.
- L. Kooistra, G. Wanders, R. Epemac, W. Leuven, L. Wehrens, and L. Buydens, “The potential of field spectroscopy for the assessment of sediment properties in river floodplains,” Analytica Chimica Acta, vol. 484, no. 2, pp. 189–200, 2003.
- G. I. Metternicht and J. A. Zinck, “Remote sensing of soil salinity: potentials and constraints,” Remote Sensing of Environment, vol. 85, no. 1, pp. 1–20, 2003.
- R. A. Viscarra Rossel, R. N. McGlynn, and A. B. McBratney, “Determining the composition of mineral-organic mixes using UV-vis-NIR diffuse reflectance spectroscopy,” Geoderma, vol. 137, no. 1-2, pp. 70–82, 2006.
- R. A. Viscarra Rossel and T. Behrens, “Using data mining to model and interpret soil diffuse reflectance spectra,” Geoderma, vol. 158, no. 1-2, pp. 46–54, 2010.
- T. Owen, “Advances in UV-VIS spectroscopy,” Derivative Spectroscopy, vol. 1, pp. 58–64, 1987.
- F. Tsai and W. D. Philpot, “A derivative-aided hyperspectral image analysis system for land-cover classification,” IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, vol. 40, no. 2, pp. 416–425, 2002.
- T. Udelhoven, C. Emmerling, and T. Jarmer, “Quantitative analysis of soil chemical properties with diffuse reflectance spectrometry and partial least-square regression: a feasibility study,” Plant and Soil, vol. 251, no. 2, pp. 319–329, 2003.
- J. Moros, M. J. Martínez-Sánchez, C. Pérez-Sirvent, S. Garrigues, and M. de la Guardia, “Testing of the region of Murcia soils by near infrared diffuse reflectance spectroscopy and chemometrics,” Talanta, vol. 78, no. 2, pp. 388–398, 2009.
- S. Wold, M. Sjöström, and L. Eriksson, “PLS-regression: a basic tool of chemometrics,” Chemometrics and Intelligent Laboratory Systems, vol. 58, no. 2, pp. 109–130, 2001.
- D. Brown, K. Shepherd, M. Walsh, M. Mays, and T. Reinsch, “Global soil characterization with VNIR diffuse reflectance spectroscopy,” Geoderma, vol. 132, no. 3-4, pp. 273–290, 2006.
- D. J. Brown, “Using a global VNIR soil-spectral library for local soil characterization and landscape modeling in a 2nd-order Uganda watershed,” Geoderma, vol. 140, no. 4, pp. 444–453, 2007.
- R. Hecht-Nielsen, Neurocomputing, Addison-Wesley, 1990.
- C.-C. Yang, S. O. Prasher, P. Enright et al., “Application of decision tree technology for image classification using remote sensing data,” Agricultural Systems, vol. 76, no. 3, pp. 1101–1117, 2003.
- J. Farifteh, F. Van der Meer, C. Atzberger, and E. Carranza, “Quantitative analysis of salt-affected soil reflectance spectra: a comparison of two adaptive methods (PLSR & ANN),” Remote Sensing of Environment, vol. 110, no. 1, pp. 59–78, 2007.
- J. Morin, D. Goldberg, and I. Singer, “Rainfall simulator with rotating disk,” Transactions of the American Society of Agricultural Engineers, vol. 10, pp. 74–77, 1967.
- K. Esbensen, Multivariate Data Analyses. An Introduction to Multivariate Data Analyses and Experimental Design, Aalborg University, Esbjerg, Denmark, 5th edition, 2002.
- A. J. Adeloye and A. De Munari, “Artificial neural network based generalized storage-yield-reliability models using the Levenberg-Marquardt algorithm,” Journal of Hydrology, vol. 326, no. 1–4, pp. 215–230, 2006.
- H. Demuth and M. Beale, Neural Network Toolbox for Use with Matlab, The MathWorks, Natick, Mass, USA, 2004.
- A. M. Mouazen, W. Saeys, J. Xing, J. De Baerdemaeker, and H. Ramon, “Near infrared spectroscopy for agricultural materials: an instrument comparison,” Journal of Near Infrared Spectroscopy, vol. 13, no. 2, pp. 87–97, 2005.
- G. R. Hunt, “Spectral signatures of particulate minerals, in the visible and near-infrared,” Geophysics, vol. 42, no. 3, pp. 501–513, 1977.
- G. R. Hunt, J. W. Salisbury, and A. Lenhoff, “Visible and nearinftatrd spectra of minerals and rocks,” IIIoxides and Hydroxides Modern Geology, vol. 2, pp. 195–205, 1971.