- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Applied and Environmental Soil Science
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 812561, 13 pages
Modelling Soil Water Retention for Weed Seed Germination Sensitivity to Water Potential
1Department of Plant Agriculture, University of Guelph, Guelph, ON, Canada N1G 2W1
2Department of Soil Science, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, MB, Canada R3T 2N2
Received 14 October 2011; Accepted 31 January 2012
Academic Editor: Keith Smettem
Copyright © 2012 W. John Bullied et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- D. Hillel, “Soil water: content and potential,” in Introduction to Soil Physics, D. Hillel, Ed., pp. 57–89, Academic Press, New York, NY, USA, 1982.
- R. R. Bruce and R. J. Luxmoore, “Water retention: field methods,” in Methods of Soil Analysis, Part 1, Physical and Mineralogical Methods, G. S. Campbell, R. D. Jackson, M. M. Mortland, D. R. Nielsen, and A. Klute, Eds., pp. 663–686, Soil Science Society of America, Madison, Wisc, USA, 2nd edition, 1986.
- G. C. Topp, Y. T. Galganov, B. C. Ball, and M. R. Carter, “Soil water desorption curves,” in Soil Sampling and Methods of Analysis, M. R. Carter, Ed., pp. 569–579, Lewis Publishers, Boca Raton, Fla, USA, 1993.
- K. J. Bradford, “Applications of hydrothermal time to quantifying and modeling seed germination and dormancy,” Weed Science, vol. 50, no. 2, pp. 248–260, 2002.
- R. Masin, M. C. Zuin, D. W. Archer, F. Forcella, and G. Zanin, “WeedTurf: a predictive model to aid control of annual summer weeds in turf,” Weed Science, vol. 53, no. 2, pp. 193–201, 2005.
- J. K. Norsworthy and M. J. Oliveira, “A model for predicting common cocklebur (Xanthium strumarium) emergence in soybean,” Weed Science, vol. 55, no. 4, pp. 341–345, 2007.
- P. J. Greminger, Y. K. Sud, and D. R. Nielsen, “Spatial variability of field-measured soil-water characteristics,” Soil Science Society of America Journal, vol. 49, no. 5, pp. 1075–1082, 1985.
- D. S. Burden and H. M. Selim, “Correlation of spatially variable soil water retention for a surface soil,” Soil Science, vol. 148, no. 6, pp. 436–447, 1989.
- M. Jauhiainen, Relationships of particle size distribution curve, soil water retention curve and unsaturated hydraulic conductivity and their implications on water balance of forested and agricultural hillslopes, Ph.D. thesis, Helsinki University of Technology, Espoo, Finland, 2002.
- M. D. Tomer, C. A. Cambardella, D. E. James, and T. B. Moorman, “Surface-soil properties and water contents across two watersheds with contrasting tillage histories,” Soil Science Society of America Journal, vol. 70, no. 2, pp. 620–630, 2006.
- W. R. Kreznor, K. R. Olson, W. L. Banwart, and D. L. Johnson, “Soil, landscape, and erosion relationships in a northwest Illinois watershed,” Soil Science Society of America Journal, vol. 53, no. 6, pp. 1763–1771, 1989.
- S. C. Brubaker, A. J. Jones, D. T. Lewis, and K. Frank, “Soil properties associated with landscape position,” Soil Science Society of America Journal, vol. 57, no. 1, pp. 235–239, 1993.
- F. A. Ovalles and M. E. Collins, “Soil-landscape relationships and soil variability in north central Florida,” Soil Science Society of America Journal, vol. 50, no. 2, pp. 401–408, 1986.
- R. H. Brooks and A. T. Corey, Hydraulic properties of porous media, Hydrology Paper no. 3, Colorado State University, Fort Collins, Colo, USA, 1964.
- M. T. van Genuchten, “A closed-form equation for predicting the hydraulic conductivity of unsaturated soils,” Soil Science Society of America Journal, vol. 44, no. 5, pp. 892–898, 1980.
- M. J. Du Croix Sissons, R. C. Van Acker, D. A. Derksen, and A. G. Thomas, “Depth of seedling recruitment of five weed species measured in situ in conventional- and zero-tillage fields,” Weed Science, vol. 48, no. 3, pp. 327–332, 2000.
- W. J. Bullied, R. C. Van Acker, and P. R. Bullock, “Hydrothermal modeling of seedling emergence timing across topography and soil depth,” Agronomy Journal, vol. 104, no. 2, pp. 423–436, 2012.
- W. J. Bullied, P. R. Bullock, and R. C. Van Acker, “Modeling the soil-water retention characteristic with pedotransfer functions for shallow seedling recruitment,” Soil Science, vol. 176, no. 2, pp. 57–72, 2011.
- J. H. Dane and J. W. Hopmans, “Water retention and storage,” in Methods of Soil Analysis: Physical Methods, J. H. Dane and G. C. Topp, Eds., pp. 671–690, Soil Science Society of America, Madison, Wisc, USA, 2002.
- G. W. Gee and D. Or, “Particle size analysis,” in Methods of Soil Analysis: Physical Methods, J. H. Dane and G. C. Topp, Eds., pp. 255–293, Soil Science Society of America, Madison, Wisc, USA, 2002.
- J. A. McKeague, “Loss on ignition,” in Manual on Soil Sampling and Methods of Analysis, Method 3.8, Canadian Society of Soil Science, Ottawa, Canada, 1978.
- SAS Institute, SAS/STAT User’s guide, Version 9.1, SAS Institute Inc., Cary, NC, USA, 2004.
- G. S. Campbell, “A simple method for determining unsaturated conductivity from moisture retention data,” Soil Science, vol. 117, no. 6, pp. 311–314, 1974.
- M. Tani, “The properties of water-table rise produced by a one-dimensional, vertical, unsaturated flow,” Journal of Japan Forestry Society, vol. 64, pp. 409–418, 1982.
- D. Russo, “Determining soil hydraulic properties by parameter estimation: on the selection of a model for the hydraulic properties,” Water Resources Research, vol. 24, no. 3, pp. 453–459, 1988.
- Y. Mualem, “A new model for predicting the hydraulic conductivity of unsaturated porous media,” Water Resources Research, vol. 12, no. 3, pp. 513–522, 1976.
- G. S. Campbell and S. Shiozawa, “Prediction of hydraulic properties of soils using particle-size distribution and bulk density data,” in Proceedings of the International Workshop on Indirect Methods for Estimating the Hydraulic Properties of Unsaturated Soils, M. T. van Genuchten, R. J. Leij, and L. J. Lund, Eds., pp. 317–328, Riverside, Calif, USA, 1992.
- M. J. Fayer and C. S. Simmons, “Modified soil water retention functions for all matric suctions,” Water Resources Research, vol. 31, no. 5, pp. 1233–1238, 1995.
- S. Matula, M. Mojrová, and K. Špongrová, “Estimation of the soil water retention curve (SWRC) using pedotransfer functions (PTFs),” Soil and Water Research, vol. 2, no. 4, pp. 113–122, 2007.
- H. Akaike, “A new look at the statistical model identification,” IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control, vol. 19, no. 6, pp. 716–723, 1974.
- K. P. Burnham and D. R. Anderson, Model Selection and Multimodel Inference: A Practical Information-Theoretic Approach, Springer, New York, NY, USA, 2nd edition, 2002.
- W. M. Cornelis, M. Khlosi, R. Hartmann, M. Van Meirvenne, and B. De Vos, “Comparison of unimodal analytical expressions for the soil-water retention curve,” Soil Science Society of America Journal, vol. 69, no. 6, pp. 1902–1911, 2005.
- H. Akaike, “A Bayesian analysis of the minimum AIC procedure,” Annals of the Institute of Statistical Mathematics, vol. 30, no. 1, pp. 9–14, 1978.
- O. Tietje and M. Tapkenhinrichs, “Evaluation of pedo-transfer functions,” Soil Science Society of America Journal, vol. 57, no. 4, pp. 1088–1095, 1993.
- D. D. Malo, B. K. Worchester, D. K. Cassel, and K. D. Matzdorf, “Soil-landscape relationships in a closed drainage system,” Soil Science Society of America Proceedings, vol. 38, no. 5, pp. 813–818, 1974.
- M. T. Van Genuchten and D. R. Nielsen, “On describing and predicting the hydraulic properties of unsaturated soils,” Annales Geophysicae, vol. 3, no. 5, pp. 615–628, 1985.
- R. J. Lenhard, J. C. Parker, and S. Mishra, “On the correspondence between Brooks-Corey and van Genuchten models,” Journal of Irrigation and Drainage Engineering, vol. 115, no. 4, pp. 744–751, 1989.
- R. Ghorbani, W. Seel, and C. Leifert, “Effects of environmental factors on germination and emergence of Amaranthus retroflexus,” Weed Science, vol. 47, no. 5, pp. 505–510, 1999.
- M. McGiffen, K. Spokas, F. Forcella, D. Archer, S. Poppe, and R. Figueroa, “Emergence prediction of common groundsel (Senecio vulgaris),” Weed Science, vol. 56, no. 1, pp. 58–65, 2008.
- F. Forcella, R. L. Benech Arnold, R. Sanchez, and C. M. Ghersa, “Modeling seedling emergence,” Field Crops Research, vol. 67, no. 2, pp. 123–139, 2000.
- K. Martinson, B. Durgan, F. Forcella, J. Wiersma, K. Spokas, and D. Archer, “An emergence model for wild oat (Avena fatua),” Weed Science, vol. 55, no. 6, pp. 584–591, 2007.
- E. S. Roman, A. G. Thomas, S. D. Murphy, and C. J. Swanton, “Modeling germination and seedling elongation of common lambsquarters (Chenopodium album),” Weed Science, vol. 47, no. 2, pp. 149–155, 1999.
- J. Dorado, C. Fernández-Quintanilla, and A. C. Grundy, “Germination patterns in naturally chilled and nonchilled seeds of fierce thornapple (Datura ferox) and velvetleaf (Abutilon theophrasti),” Weed Science, vol. 57, no. 2, pp. 155–162, 2009.
- B. S. Ismail, T. S. Chuah, S. Salmijah, Y. T. Teng, and R. W. Schumacher, “Germination and seedling emergence of glyphosate-resistant and susceptible biotypes of goosegrass (Eleusine indica [L.] Gaertn.),” Weed Biology and Management, vol. 2, no. 4, pp. 177–185, 2002.
- A. Shrestha, E. S. Roman, A. G. Thomas, and C. J. Swanton, “Modeling germination and shoot-radicle elongation of Ambrosia artemisiifolia,” Weed Science, vol. 47, no. 5, pp. 557–562, 1999.
- A. C. Grundy, K. Phelps, R. J. Reader, and S. Burston, “Modelling the germination of Stellaria media using the concept of hydrothermal time,” New Phytologist, vol. 148, no. 3, pp. 433–444, 2000.
- M. Köchy and K. Tielbörger, “Hydrothermal time model of germination: parameters for 36 Mediterranean annual species based on a simplified approach,” Basic and Applied Ecology, vol. 8, no. 2, pp. 171–182, 2007.
- E. R. Page, R. S. Gallagher, A. R. Kemanian, H. Zhang, and E. P. Fuerst, “Modeling site-specific wild oat (Avena fatua) emergence across a variable landscape,” Weed Science, vol. 54, no. 5, pp. 838–846, 2006.
- C. Fernandez-Quinantilla, J. L. Gonzalez Andujar, and A. P. Appleby, “Characterization of the germination and emergence response to temperature and soil moisture of Avena fatua and A. sterilis,” Weed Research, vol. 30, no. 4, pp. 289–295, 1990.
- J. R. McWilliam, R. J. Clements, and P. M. Dowling, “Some factors influencing the germination and early seedling development of pasture plants,” Australian Journal of Agricultural Research, vol. 21, no. 1, pp. 19–32, 1970.
- N. Colbach, C. Dürr, B. Chauvel, and G. Richard, “Effect of environmental conditions on Alopecurus myosuroides germination. II. Effect of moisture conditions and storage length,” Weed Research, vol. 42, no. 3, pp. 222–230, 2002.
- M. T. van Genuchten, F. J. Leij, and S. R. Yates, “The RETC code for quantifying the hydraulic functions of unsaturated soils,” Report no. EPA/600/2-91/065, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Ada, Okla, USA, 1991.