- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Applied and Environmental Soil Science
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 971252, 20 pages
A Comparison of Feature-Based MLR and PLS Regression Techniques for the Prediction of Three Soil Constituents in a Degraded South African Ecosystem
1Department of Land Surface, German Remote Sensing Data Center (DFD), German Aerospace Center (DLR), Oberpfaffenhofen, 82234 Weßling, Germany
2Remote Sensing Section, Department of Geodesy and Remote Sensing, German Research Centre for Geosciences (GFZ), Telegrafenberg, 14473 Potsdam, Germany
Received 16 February 2012; Revised 20 April 2012; Accepted 21 May 2012
Academic Editor: Eyal Ben-Dor
Copyright © 2012 Anita Bayer et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- R. Lal, “Soil carbon sequestration to mitigate climate change,” Geoderma, vol. 123, no. 1-2, pp. 1–22, 2004.
- R. A. Viscarra Rossel, D. J. J. Walvoort, A. B. McBratney, L. J. Janik, and J. O. Skjemstad, “Visible, near infrared, mid infrared or combined diffuse reflectance spectroscopy for simultaneous assessment of various soil properties,” Geoderma, vol. 131, no. 1-2, pp. 59–75, 2006.
- T. Cocks, R. Jenssen, A. Stewart, I. Wilson, and T. Shields, “The HyMap airborne hyperspectral sensor: the system, calibration and performance,” in Proceedings of the 1st EARSEL Workshop on Imaging Spectroscopy, Zurich, Switzerland, 1998.
- H. M. Bartholomeus, M. E. Schaepman, L. Kooistra, A. Stevens, W. B. Hoogmoed, and O. S. P. Spaargaren, “Spectral reflectance based indices for soil organic carbon quantification,” Geoderma, vol. 145, no. 1-2, pp. 28–36, 2008.
- E. Ben-Dor, Y. Inbar, and Y. Chen, “The reflectance spectra of organic matter in the visible near-infrared and short wave infrared region (400-2500 nm) during a controlled decomposition process,” Remote Sensing of Environment, vol. 61, no. 1, pp. 1–15, 1997.
- J. Hill and B. Schütt, “Mapping complex patterns of erosion and stability in dry mediterranean ecosystems,” Remote Sensing of Environment, vol. 74, no. 3, pp. 557–569, 2000.
- R. A. Viscarra Rossel and T. Behrens, “Using data mining to model and interpret soil diffuse reflectance spectra,” Geoderma, vol. 158, no. 1-2, pp. 46–54, 2010.
- E. Ben-Dor and A. Banin, “Visible and near-infrared (0.4–1.1μ m) analysis of arid and semiarid soils,” Remote Sensing of Environment, vol. 48, no. 3, pp. 261–274, 1994.
- C.-W. Chang, D. A. Laird, M. J. Mausbach, and C. R. Hurburgh, “Near-infrared reflectance spectroscopy-principal components regression analyses of soil properties,” Soil Science Society of America Journal, vol. 65, no. 2, pp. 480–490, 2001.
- A. Palacios-Orueta and S. L. Ustin, “Remote sensing of soil properties in the Santa Monica Mountains I. Spectral analysis,” Remote Sensing of Environment, vol. 65, no. 2, pp. 170–183, 1998.
- E. Ben-Dor and A. Banin, “Near-infrared analysis as a rapid method to simultaneously evaluate several soil properties,” Soil Science Society of America Journal, vol. 59, no. 2, pp. 364–372, 1995.
- T. H. Waiser, C. L. S. Morgan, D. J. Brown, and C. T. Hallmark, “In situ characterization of soil clay content with visible near-infrared diffuse reflectance spectroscopy,” Soil Science Society of America Journal, vol. 71, no. 2, pp. 389–396, 2007.
- E. Ben-Dor, S. Chabrillat, J. A. M. Demattê et al., “Using Imaging Spectroscopy to study soil properties,” Remote Sensing of Environment, vol. 113, no. 1, pp. S38–S55, 2009.
- C. Gomez, R. A. Viscarra Rossel, and A. B. McBratney, “Soil organic carbon prediction by hyperspectral remote sensing and field vis-NIR spectroscopy: an Australian case study,” Geoderma, vol. 146, no. 3-4, pp. 403–411, 2008.
- A. Stevens, B. van Wesemael, H. Bartholomeus, D. Rosillon, B. Tychon, and E. Ben-Dor, “Laboratory, field and airborne spectroscopy for monitoring organic carbon content in agricultural soils,” Geoderma, vol. 144, no. 1-2, pp. 395–404, 2008.
- T. Udelhoven, C. Emmerling, and T. Jarmer, “Quantitative analysis of soil chemical properties with diffuse reflectance spectrometry and partial least-square regression: a feasibility study,” Plant and Soil, vol. 251, no. 2, pp. 319–329, 2003.
- V. L. Mulder, S. de Bruin, M. E. Schaepman, and T. R. Mayr, “The use of remote sensing in soil and terrain mapping-a review,” Geoderma, vol. 162, no. 1-2, pp. 1–19, 2011.
- T. Selige, J. Böhner, and U. Schmidhalter, “High resolution topsoil mapping using hyperspectral image and field data in multivariate regression modeling procedures,” Geoderma, vol. 136, no. 1-2, pp. 235–244, 2006.
- A. Stevens, T. Udelhoven, A. Denis et al., “Measuring soil organic carbon in croplands at regional scale using airborne imaging spectroscopy,” Geoderma, vol. 158, no. 1-2, pp. 32–45, 2010.
- N. Richter, T. Jarmer, S. Chabrillat, C. Oyonarte, P. Hostert, and H. Kaufmann, “Free iron oxide determination in mediterranean soils using diffuse reflectance spectroscopy,” Soil Science Society of America Journal, vol. 73, no. 1, pp. 72–81, 2009.
- E. Ben-Dor, N. Levin, A. Singer, A. Karnieli, O. Braun, and G. J. Kidron, “Quantitative mapping of the soil rubification process on sand dunes using an airborne hyperspectral sensor,” Geoderma, vol. 131, no. 1-2, pp. 1–21, 2006.
- S. Chabrillat, A. F. H. Goetz, L. Krosley, and H. W. Olsen, “Use of hyperspectral images in the identification and mapping of expansive clay soils and the role of spatial resolution,” Remote Sensing of Environment, vol. 82, no. 2-3, pp. 431–445, 2002.
- C. Gomez, P. Lagacherie, and G. Coulouma, “Continuum removal versus PLSR method for clay and calcium carbonate content estimation from laboratory and airborne hyperspectral measurements,” Geoderma, vol. 148, no. 2, pp. 141–148, 2008.
- P. Lagacherie, F. Baret, J. B. Feret, J. Madeira Netto, and J. M. Robbez-Masson, “Estimation of soil clay and calcium carbonate using laboratory, field and airborne hyperspectral measurements,” Remote Sensing of Environment, vol. 112, no. 3, pp. 825–835, 2008.
- R. G. Lechmere-Oertel, G. I. H. Kerley, and R. M. Cowling, “Patterns and implications of transformation in semi-arid succulent thicket, South Africa,” Journal of Arid Environments, vol. 62, no. 3, pp. 459–474, 2005.
- J. W. Lloyd, E. C. van den Berg, and A. R. Palmer, “Patterns of transformation and degradation in the Thicket Biome, South Africa,” Report 39, Terrestrial Ecology Research Unit, University of Port Elizabeth, Port Elizabeth, South Africa, 2002.
- A. J. Mills and M. V. Fey, “Transformation of thicket to savanna reduces soil quality in the Eastern Cape, South Africa,” Plant and Soil, vol. 265, no. 1-2, pp. 153–163, 2004.
- ARC-ISCW, Weather Data of Three Selected Climate Stations in the Eastern Cape Province, ARC-ISCW, Pretoria, South Africa, 2011.
- A. J. Mills and R. M. Cowling, “Rate of carbon sequestration at two thicket restoration sites in the Eastern Cape, South Africa,” Restoration Ecology, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 38–49, 2006.
- A. Walkley and I. A. Black, “An examination of the Degtjareff method for determining soil organic matter and a proposed modification of the chromic acid titration method,” Soil Science, vol. 37, pp. 29–37, 1934.
- O. Mehra and M. Jackson, “Iron oxide removal from soils and clays by a dithionite-citrate system buffered with sodium bicarbonate,” Clays and Clay Minerals, vol. 7, pp. 317–327, 1958.
- G. W. Gee and J. W. Bauder, “Particle size analysis,” in Methods of Soil Analysis. Part 1, A. Klute, Ed., pp. 383–411, American Society of Agronomy, Soil Science Society, Madison, Wis, USA, 2nd edition, 1986.
- A. Savitzky and M. J. E. Golay, “Smoothing and differentiation of data by simplified least squares procedures,” Analytical Chemistry, vol. 36, no. 8, pp. 1627–1639, 1964.
- R. Clark, “Spectroscopy of rocks and minerals, and principles of spectroscopy,” in Remote Sensing for the Earth Sciences, vol. 3, pp. 3–58, John Wiley & Sons, New York, NY, USA, 1999.
- M. F. Baumgardner, L. F. Silva, L. L. Biehl, and E. R. Stoner, “Reflectance properties of soils,” Advances in agronomy. Vol. 38, pp. 1–44, 1985.
- G. Hunt and J. Salisbury, “Visible and near-infrared spectra of minerals and rocks: 1. Silicate minerals,” Modern Geology, vol. 1, pp. 283–300, 1970.
- C. Grove, S. Hook, and E. Paylor II, Laboratory Reflectance Spectra of 160 Minerals, 0.4 to 2.5 Micrometers, Jet Propulsion Laboratory, National Aeronautics and Space Administration, JPL publication 92-2, Pasadena, Calif, USA, 1992.
- G. Hunt, J. Salibury, and C. Lenhoff, “Visible and near-infrared spectra of minerals and rocks: III. Oxides and hydroxides,” Modern Geology, vol. 2, pp. 195–205, 1971.
- R. V. Morris, H. V. Lauer, C. A. Lawson, E. K. Gibson Jr, G. A. Nace, and C. Stewart, “Spectral and other physicochemical properties of submicron powders of hematite (α-Fe2O3), maghemite (γ-Fe2O3), magnetite (Fe3O4), goethite (α-FeOOH) and lepidocrocite (γ-FeOOH),” Journal of Geophysical Research, vol. 90, no. 4, pp. 3126–3144, 1985.
- G. R. Hunt, “Spectroscopic properties of rocks and minerals,” in Handbook of Physical Properties of Rocks, R. S. Carmichael, Ed., vol. 1, pp. 295–385, CRC Press, Boca Raton, Fla, USA, 1982.
- CSIR, Weather Data of a Climate Station in the Thicket Biome, South Africa, CSIR, Pretoria, South Africa, 2009.
- E. R. Stoner and M. F. Baumgardner, “Characteristic variations in reflectance of surface soils,” Soil Science Society of America Journal, vol. 45, no. 6, pp. 1161–1165, 1981.
- R. N. Clark and T. L. Roush, “Reflectance spectroscopy: quantitative analysis techniques for remote sensing applications,” Journal of Geophysical Research, vol. 89, no. 7, pp. 6329–6340, 1984.
- R. N. Clark, G. A. Swayze, K. E. Livo et al., “Imaging spectroscopy: earth and planetary remote sensing with the USGS Tetracorder and expert systems,” Journal of Geophysical Research E, vol. 108, no. 12, pp. 5–1, 2003.
- F. van der Meer, “Analysis of spectral absorption features in hyperspectral imagery,” International Journal of Applied Earth Observation and Geoinformation, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 55–68, 2004.
- W. Kessler, Multivariate Datenanalyse, Wiley-VCH Verlag, Weinheim, Germany, 2007.
- S. Wold, M. Sjöström, and L. Eriksson, “PLS-regression: a basic tool of chemometrics,” Chemometrics and Intelligent Laboratory Systems, vol. 58, no. 2, pp. 109–130, 2001.
- R. A. V. Viscarra Rossel, “ParLeS: software for chemometric analysis of spectroscopic data,” Chemometrics and Intelligent Laboratory Systems, vol. 90, no. 1, pp. 72–83, 2008.
- D. S. McIntyre, “Permeability measurements of soil crusts formed by raindrop impact,” Soil Science, vol. 85, pp. 185–189, 1958.
- R. N. Clark, T. V. V. King, M. Klejwa, G. A. Swayze, and N. Vergo, “High spectral resolution reflectance spectroscopy of minerals,” Journal of Geophysical Research, vol. 95, no. 8, pp. 12–680, 1990.
- G. R. Hunt, “Spectral signatures of particulate minerals in the visible and near infrared,” Geophysics, vol. 42, no. 3, pp. 501–513, 1977.