- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Applied and Environmental Soil Science
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 252861, 11 pages
Physicochemical Properties and Surface Charge Characteristics of Arid Soils in Southeastern Iran
1Department of Land Management, Faculty of Agriculture, Universiti Putra Malaysia, 43400 Serdang, Selangor, Malaysia
2Department of Soil Science, Faculty of Agriculture, Shiraz University, Shiraz 7915847669, Iran
Received 2 March 2013; Revised 15 May 2013; Accepted 20 May 2013
Academic Editor: Davey Jones
Copyright © 2013 A. H. Moghimi et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- X. N. Zhang and A. Z. Zhao, “Surface charge,” in Chemistry of Variable Charge Soils, T. R. Yu, Ed., pp. 17–63, Oxford University Press, New York, NY, USA, 1997.
- T. R. Yu, Chemistry of Variable Charge Soils, Oxford University Press, New York, NY, USA, 1997.
- J. Chorover, M. K. Amistadi, and O. A. Chadwick, “Surface charge evolution of mineral-organic complexes during pedogenesis in Hawaiian basalt,” Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta, vol. 68, no. 23, pp. 4859–4876, 2004.
- M. Barale, C. Mansour, F. Carrette et al., “Characterization of the surface charge of oxide particles of PWR primary water circuits from 5 to 320°C,” Journal of Nuclear Materials, vol. 381, no. 3, pp. 302–308, 2008.
- G. Uehara and G. P. Gillman, The Mineralogy, Chemistry and Physics of Tropical Soils with Variable Charge Clays, West View Press, Boulder, Colo, USA, 1981.
- S. M. Sharami, A. Forghani, A. Akbarzadeh, and H. Ramezanpour, “Mineralogical characteristics and related surface charge fluctuations of some selected soils of temperate regions of northern Iran,” Clay Minerals, vol. 45, no. 3, pp. 327–348, 2010.
- M. Anda, J. Shamshuddin, C. I. Fauziah, and S. R. S. Omar, “Mineralogy and factors controlling charge development of three Oxisols developed from different parent materials,” Geoderma, vol. 143, no. 1-2, pp. 153–167, 2008.
- T. Hou, R. Xu, D. Tiwari, and A. Zhao, “Interaction between electrical double layers of soil colloids and Fe/Al oxides in suspensions,” Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, vol. 310, no. 2, pp. 670–674, 2007.
- C. Taubaso, M. Dos Santos Afonso, and R. M. Torres Sánchez, “Modelling soil surface charge density using mineral composition,” Geoderma, vol. 121, no. 1-2, pp. 123–133, 2004.
- A. Gonzales-Batista, J. M. Hernandez-Moreno, E. Fernandez-Caldas, and A. J. Herbillon, “Influence of silica content on the surface charge characteristics of allophanic clays,” Clays & Clay Minerals, vol. 30, no. 2, pp. 103–110, 1982.
- G. Uehara and G. P. Gillman, “Charge characteristics of soils with variable and permanent charge minerals—I. Theory,” Soil Science Society of America Journal, vol. 44, pp. 404–409, 1980.
- N. C. Brady and R. R. Weil, The Nature and Properties of Soils, Prentice Hall, Upper Sadller River, NJ, USA, 13th edition, 2002.
- G. Bellini, M. E. Sumner, D. E. Radcliffe, and N. P. Qafoku, “Anion transport through columns of highly weathered acid soil: adsorption and retardation,” Soil Science Society of America Journal, vol. 60, no. 1, pp. 132–137, 1996.
- D. J. Burdon, “Hydrogeological conditions in the Middle East,” Quarterly Journal of Engineering Geology, vol. 15, no. 2, pp. 71–82, 1982.
- M. H. Banaei, “Soil moisture and temperature region map of Iran,” Soil and Water Research Institute, Ministry of Agriculture, Tehran, Iran, 1998.
- A. H. Moghimi, “Semi-detailed soil survey and classification in Ashkara plain, Iran,” Soil and Water research institute, Ministry of Agriculture, Tehran, Iran, 2002.
- Soil Survey Staff, “Soil survey laboratory methods manual,” Soil survey investigation report No. 42, version 4, Washington, DC, USA, 2004.
- Soil Survey Staff, “Keys to Soil Taxonomy,” U.S. Department of Agriculture, NRCS, 2010.
- G. W. Gee and J. W. Bauder, “Particle size analysis,” in Methods of Soil Analysis, A. Klute, Ed., vol. 9 of Agronomy Monograph 9, ASA and SSSA, Madison, Wis, USA, 2nd edition, 1986.
- A. Walkley and C. A. Black, “A critical examination of rapid method for determining organic carbon in soils: effect of variations in digestion conditions and of inorganic soil constituents,” Soil Science, vol. 63, pp. 251–263, 1947.
- O. P. Mehra and M. L. Jackson, “Iron oxide removal from soils and clays by a dithionitecitrate system buffered with sodium bicarbonate,” Clay Minerals, vol. 7, pp. 317–327, 1980.
- M. K. Conyers and B. G. Davey, “Observations on some routine methods for soil pH determination,” Soil Science, vol. 145, no. 1, pp. 29–36, 1988.
- L. P. Van Reeuwijk, “Procedures for soil analysis,” in Proceedings of the International Soil Conference, Information Centre, Netherlands, 2002.
- G. R. Blake and K. H. Hartge, “Bulk density,” in Methods of Soil Analysis—Part 1. Physical and Mineralogical Methods, A. Klute, Ed., Agronomy Monograph 9, ASA and SSSA, Madison, Wis, USA, 2nd edition, 1986.
- Salinity Laboratory Staff, Diagnosis and Improvement of Saline and Alkali Soils, USDA Handbook No. 60, Washington, DC, USA, 1954.
- L. E. Allison and C. D. Moodi, “Carbonate,” in Methods of Soil Analysis, C. A. Black, Ed., vol. 9 of Agronomy, pp. 1379–1396, 1965.
- G. P. Gillman and M. E. Sumner, “Surface charge characterization, and soil solution composition of four soils from the Southern Piedmont in Georgia,” Soil Science Society of America Journal, vol. 51, no. 3, pp. 589–594, 1987.
- H. Van Olphen, An Introduction to Clay Colloid Chemistry, Interscience, New York, NY, USA, 2nd edition, 1977.
- G. P. Gillman and G. Uehara, “Charge characteristics of soils with variable and permanent charge minerals—II. Experimental,” Soil Science Society of America Journal, vol. 44, pp. 252–255, 1980.
- J. A. Kittrick and E. W. Hope, “A procedure for the particle size separation of soils for X-ray diffraction analysis,” Soil Science, vol. 96, pp. 312–325, 1963.
- M. L. Jackson, Soil Chemical Analysis. Advanced Course, University of Wisconsin, College of Agriculture, Department of soils, Madison, Wis, USA, 1975.
- A. D. Karathanasis and B. F. Hajek, “Revised methods for rapid quantitative determination of minerals in soil clays,” Soil Science Society of America Journal, vol. 46, no. 2, pp. 419–425, 1982.
- F. Khormali and A. Abtahi, “Origin and distribution of clay minerals in calcareous arid and semi-arid soils of Fars Province, southern Iran,” Clay Minerals, vol. 38, no. 4, pp. 511–528, 2003.
- S. A. Khresat and E. A. Qudah, “Formation and properties of aridic soils of Azraq Basin in northeastern Jordan,” Journal of Arid Environments, vol. 64, no. 1, pp. 116–136, 2006.
- I. Navai, “Explanatory Text of the Hajiabad Quadrangle map 1/250000,” Geological Survey of Iran, 1976.
- H. R. Owliaie, A. Abtahi, and R. J. Heck, “Pedogenesis and clay mineralogical investigation of soils formed on gypsiferous and calcareous materials, on a transect, southwestern Iran,” Geoderma, vol. 134, no. 1-2, pp. 62–81, 2006.
- M. Emadi, M. Baghernejad, H. Memarian, M. Saffari, and H. Fathi, “Genesis and clay mineralogical investigation of highly calcareous soils in semi-arid regions of Southern Iran,” Journal of Applied Sciences, vol. 8, no. 2, pp. 288–294, 2008.
- H. Khademi and J. M. Arocena, “Kaolinite formation from palygorskite and sepiolite in rhizosphere soils,” Clays and Clay Minerals, vol. 56, no. 4, pp. 429–436, 2008.
- C. A. Coles and R. N. Yong, “Humic acid preparation, properties and interactions with metals lead and cadmium,” Engineering Geology, vol. 85, no. 1-2, pp. 26–32, 2006.
- S.-Z. Li and R.-K. Xu, “Electrical double layers' interaction between oppositely charged particles as related to surface charge density and ionic strength,” Colloids and Surfaces A, vol. 326, no. 3, pp. 157–161, 2008.
- E. Tessens and J. Shamshuddin, Quantitative Relationships between Mineralogy and Properties of Tropical Soils, UPM Press, Serdang, Malaysia, 1983.
- J. Hamdan, B. Ruhana, and C. P. Burnham, “Surface charge distribution of Three deep regoliths from Peninsular Malaysia,” Journal of Sustainable Agriculture, vol. 18, no. 1, pp. 5–22, 2001.
- N. P. Qafoku, E. Van Ranst, A. Noble, and A. Baert, “Variable charge soils: their mineralogy, chemistry and management,” Advances in Agronomy, vol. 84, pp. 159–215, 2004.
- G. Sposito, The Chemistry of Soils, Oxford University Press, New York, NY, USA, 1989.
- P. Sollins, G. P. Robertson, and G. Uehara, “Nutrient mobility in variable- and permanent-charge soils,” Biogeochemistry, vol. 6, no. 3, pp. 181–199, 1988.
- J. M. Oades, G. P. Gillman, and G. Uehara, “Interactions of soil organic and variable-charge clays,” in Dynamics of Soil Organic Matter in Tropical Ecosystems, D. C. Coleman, J. M. Oades, and G. Uehara, Eds., pp. 69–95, University of Hawaii Press, Honolulu, Hawaii, USA, 1989.
- J. Shamshuddin and M. Anda, “Charge properties of soils in Malaysia dominated by kaolinite, gibbsite, goethite and hematite,” Bulletin of the Geological Society of Malaysia, vol. 54, pp. 27–31, 2008.
- J. B. Yavitt and S. J. Wright, “Charge characteristics of soil in a lowland tropical moist forest in Panama in response to dry-season irrigation,” Australian Journal of Soil Research, vol. 40, no. 2, pp. 269–281, 2002.
- F. I. Morais, A. L. Paga, and L. J. Lund, “The effect of pH, salt concentration, and nature of electrolytes on the charge characteristics of Brazilian tropical soils,” Soil Science Society of America Journal, vol. 40, pp. 521–527, 1976.
- C. A. Igwe, F. O. R. Akamigbo, and J. S. C. Mbagwu, “Chemical and mineralogical properties of soils in southeastern Nigeria in relation to aggregate stability,” Geoderma, vol. 92, no. 1-2, pp. 111–123, 1999.
- M. Rashad and S. Dultz, “Decisive factors of clay dispersion in alluvial soils of the Nile River Delta—a study on surface charge properties,” American-Eurasian Journal of Agricultural & Environmental Sciences, vol. 2, pp. 213–219, 2007.
- J. Shamshuddin, S. Paramananthan, and N. Mokhtar, “Mineralogy and surface charge properties of two acid sulfate soils from Peninsular Malaysia,” Pertanika, vol. 9, pp. 167–176, 1986.
- R. Naidu, R. J. Morrison, L. Janik, and M. Asghar, “Clay mineralogy and surface charge characteristics of basaltic soils from Western Samoa,” Clay Minerals, vol. 32, no. 4, pp. 545–556, 1997.
- J. Li, R. Xu, S. Xiao, and G. Ji, “Effect of low-molecular-weight organic anions on exchangeable aluminum capacity of variable charge soils,” Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, vol. 284, no. 2, pp. 393–399, 2005.
- R. Xu, A. Zhao, and G. Ji, “Effect of low-molecular-weight organic anions on surface charge of variable charge soils,” Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, vol. 264, no. 2, pp. 322–326, 2003.