- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Applied and Environmental Soil Science
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 597824, 7 pages
Nitrate Sorption in an Agricultural Soil Profile
1High Institute of Agronomy, Sousse University, Chott Meriem, 4042 Sousse, Tunisia
2Applied Chemistry and Environment Research Unit, EPAM, 4000 Sousse , Tunisia
3International Livestock Research Institute, P.O. Box 30709, Nairobi, Kenya
4Laboratory of Energy and Materials (LABEM), High School of Sciences and Technology, Sousse University, 4011 Hammam Sousse, Tunisia
Received 6 March 2013; Revised 9 June 2013; Accepted 25 June 2013
Academic Editor: Marco Trevisan
Copyright © 2013 Wissem Hamdi et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- N. M. Crawford and A. D. M. Glass, “Molecular and physiological aspects of nitrate uptake in plants,” Trends in Plant Science, vol. 3, no. 10, pp. 389–395, 1998.
- L. Fewtrell, “Drinking-water nitrate, methemoglobinemia, and global burden of disease: a discussion,” Environmental Health Perspectives, vol. 112, no. 14, pp. 1371–1374, 2004.
- F. A. Rutigliano, S. Castaldi, R. D'Ascoli et al., “Soil activities related to nitrogen cycle under three plant cover types in Mediterranean environment,” Applied Soil Ecology, vol. 43, no. 1, pp. 40–46, 2009.
- J. S. Reynolds-Vargas, D. D. Richter, and E. Bornemisza, “Environmental impacts of nitrification and nitrate adsorption in fertilized andisols in the Valle Central of Costa Rica,” Soil Science, vol. 157, no. 5, pp. 289–299, 1994.
- M. Tani, T. Okuten, M. Koike, K. Kuramochi, and R. Kondo, “Nitrate adsorption in some andisols developed under different moisture conditions,” Soil Science and Plant Nutrition, vol. 50, no. 3, pp. 439–446, 2004.
- M. T. F. Wong and K. Wittwer, “Positive charge discovered across Western Australian wheatbelt soils challenges key soil and nitrogen management assumptions,” Australian Journal of Soil Research, vol. 47, no. 1, pp. 127–135, 2009.
- M. R. Panuccio, A. Muscolo, and S. Nardi, “Effect of humic substances on nitrogen uptake and assimilation in two species of pinus,” Journal of Plant Nutrition, vol. 24, no. 4-5, pp. 693–704, 2001.
- M. J. Donn and N. W. Menzies, “Simulated rainwater effects on anion exchange capacity and nitrate retention in Ferrosols,” Australian Journal of Soil Research, vol. 43, no. 1, pp. 33–42, 2005.
- N. Martínez-Villegas, L. M. Flores-Vélez, and O. Domínguez, “Sorption of lead in soil as a function of pH: a study case in México,” Chemosphere, vol. 57, no. 10, pp. 1537–1542, 2004.
- F. Feder and A. Findeling, “Retention and leaching of nitrate and chloride in an andic soil after pig manure amendment,” European Journal of Soil Science, vol. 58, no. 2, pp. 393–404, 2007.
- N. P. Qafoku, M. E. Sumner, and D. E. Radcliffe, “Anion transport in columns of variable charge subsoils: nitrate and chloride,” Journal of Environmental Quality, vol. 29, no. 2, pp. 484–493, 2000.
- T. Kinjo and P. F. Pratt, “Nitrate adsorption: I. some acid soils of Mexico and South America,” Soil Science Society of America Proceedings, vol. 35, pp. 722–725, 1971.
- J. F. Dynia, “Nitrate retention and leaching in variable charge soils of a watershed in Sao Paulo state, Brazil,” Communications in Soil Science and Plant Analysis, vol. 31, no. 5-6, pp. 777–791, 2000.
- M. J. Eick, W. D. Brady, and C. K. Lynch, “Charge properties and nitrate adsorption of some acid Southeastern soils,” Journal of Environmental Quality, vol. 28, no. 1, pp. 138–144, 1999.
- B. D. Strahm and R. B. Harrison, “Nitrate sorption in a variable-charge forest soil of the Pacific Northwest,” Soil Science, vol. 171, no. 4, pp. 313–321, 2006.
- FAO, “Soil map of world,” FAO Word Soil Report 60, FAO, Rome, Italy, 1989.
- T. P. Hignett, “Fertilizer manual,” Developments in Plant and Soil Science, vol. 315, pp. 163–186, 1985.
- G. W. Gee and J. W. Bauder, Particle Size Analysis, 1986.
- W. H. Hendershot, H. Lalande, and M. Duquette, “Ion exchange and exchangeable cations,” in Soil Sampling and Methods of Analysis, R. C. Martin, Ed., pp. 183–205, Canadian Society of Soil Science, Lewis Publishers, Boca Raton, Fla, USA, 1993.
- A. Mehlich, “Mehlich 3 soil test extractant: a modification of Mehlich 2 extractant,” Communications in Soil Science & Plant Analysis, vol. 15, no. 12, pp. 1409–1416, 1984.
- J. M. Bremmer and D. R. Keeney, “Determination and isotopic ratio analysis of different forms of nitrogen in soils: I. Apparatus and procedure for distillation for and determination of ammonium,” Soil Science Society of America Proceedings, vol. 29, pp. 504–507, 1965.
- K. W. Roy, W. F. Moore, and T. S. Abney, “Diagnosis of sudden death syndrome of soybean,” Plant Diagnostics Quarterly, vol. 12, pp. 166–168, 1991.
- M. I. S. Ezenwa, “Some physico-chemical characteristics of soils of basement complex and adjoining basaltic rocks of Northern Ngeria,” in Proceedings of the 15th Annual Conference of Soil Science Society of Nigeria, O. Babalola, Ed., pp. 205–214, 1987.
- I. E. Esu, “Fertility status and management of some upland basement complex soils in th Nigerian tropical savanna region,” Nigerian Journal of Soil Science, vol. 7, pp. 155–184, 1987.
- S. Shoji, M. Nanzyo, and R. A. Dahlgren, “Chemical characteristics of volcanic ash soils,” in Volcanic Ash Soils: Genesis, Properties and Utilization, vol. 153, pp. 166–167, 1993.
- E. Marcano-Martinez and M. B. McBride, “Calcium and sulfate retention by two oxisols of the Brazilian Cerrado,” Soil Science Society of America Journal, vol. 53, no. 1, pp. 63–69, 1989.
- S. M. Ndala, M. C. Scholes, and M. V. Fey, “Soil properties and processes driving the leaching of nitrate in the forested catchments of the eastern escarpment of South Africa,” Forest Ecology and Management, vol. 236, no. 2-3, pp. 142–152, 2006.
- C. V. Toner, D. L. Sparks, and T. H. Carski, “Anion exchange chemistry of Middle Atlantic soils: charge properties and nitrate retention kinetics,” Soil Science Society of America Journal, vol. 53, no. 4, pp. 1061–1067, 1989.