- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Applied and Environmental Soil Science
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 617504, 10 pages
Effects of 24 Years of Conservation Tillage Systems on Soil Organic Carbon and Soil Productivity
1Department of Natural Resources and Environmental Sciences, University of Illinois, S-224 Turner Hall, 1102 S. Goodwin Avenue Urbana, IL 61801, USA
2Dixon Springs Agricultural Center, Department of Crop Sciences, Simpson, IL 62959, USA
3Department of NRES, University of Illinois, N-405 Turner Hall, 1102 S. Goodwin Avenue, Urbana, IL 61801, USA
Received 6 December 2012; Revised 15 January 2013; Accepted 17 January 2013
Academic Editor: Philip J. White
Copyright © 2013 Kenneth R. Olson et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- P. A. Lawrence, B. J. Radford, G. A. Thomas, D. P. Sinclair, and A. J. Key, “Effect of tillage practices on wheat performance in a semi-arid environment,” Soil and Tillage Research, vol. 28, no. 3-4, pp. 347–364, 1994.
- W. W. Wilhelm, J. W. Doran, and J. F. Power, “Corn and soybean yield response to crop residue management under no tillage production system,” Agronomy Journal, vol. 78, no. 1, pp. 184–189, 1986.
- W. E. Lueschen, S. D. Evans, J. H. Ford et al., “Soybean production as affected by tillage in a corn and soybean management system: I. Cultivar response,” Journal of Production Agriculture, vol. 4, no. 4, pp. 571–579, 1991.
- G. Kapusta, R. F. Krausz, and J. L. Matthews, “Corn yield is equal in conventional, reduced, and no tillage after 20 years,” Agronomy Journal, vol. 88, no. 5, pp. 812–817, 1996.
- E. C. Dickey, D. P. Shelton, P. J. Jasa, and T. R. Peterson, “Soil erosion from tillage systems used in soybean and corn residues,” Transactions of the American Society of Agricultural Engineers, vol. 28, no. 4, pp. 1124–1129, 1985.
- E. E. Alberts and W. H. Neibling, “Influence of crop residue on water erosion,” in Managing Agricultural Residues, P. W. Unger, Ed., vol. 13, pp. 19–44, Lewis, Boca Raton, Fla, USA, 1994.
- R. Lal, A. A. Mahboubi, and N. R. Fausey, “Long-term tillage and rotation effects on properties of a central Ohio soil,” Soil Science Society of America Journal, vol. 58, no. 2, pp. 517–522, 1994.
- T. O. West and W. M. Post, “Soil organic carbon sequestration rates by tillage and crop rotation: a global data analysis,” Soil Science Society of America Journal, vol. 66, no. 6, pp. 1930–1946, 2002.
- J. M. Baker, T. E. Ochsner, R. T. Venterea, and T. J. Griffis, “Tillage and soil carbon sequestration—what do we really know?” Agriculture, Ecosystems & Environment, vol. 118, no. 1–4, pp. 1–5, 2007.
- A. J. VandenBygaart, E. G. Gregorich, and D. A. Angers, “Influence of agricultural management on soil organic carbon: a compendium and assessment of Canadian studies,” Canadian Journal of Soil Science, vol. 83, no. 4, pp. 363–380, 2003.
- R. Lal, “Soil management and restoration for C sequestration to mitigate the accelerated greenhouse effect,” Progress in Environmental Science, vol. 1, no. 4, pp. 307–326, 1999.
- R. A. Omonode, A. Gal, D. E. Stott, T. S. Abney, and T. J. Vyn, “Short-term versus continuous chisel and no-till effects on soil carbon and nitrogen,” Soil Science Society of America Journal, vol. 70, no. 2, pp. 419–425, 2006.
- L. K. Mann, “Changes in soil carbon storage after cultivation,” Soil Science, vol. 142, no. 5, pp. 279–288, 1986.
- G. E. Varvel and W. W. Wilhelm, “Long-term soil organic carbon as affected by tillage and cropping systems,” Soil Science Society of America Journal, vol. 74, no. 3, pp. 915–921, 2010.
- A. J. Franzluebbers and R. F. Follett, “Greenhouse gas contributions and mitigation potential in agricultural regions of North America: introduction,” Soil and Tillage Research, vol. 83, no. 1, pp. 1–8, 2005.
- I. Ismail, R. L. Blevins, and W. W. Frye, “Long-term no-tillage effects on soil properties and continuous corn yields,” Soil Science Society of America Journal, vol. 58, no. 1, pp. 193–198, 1994.
- P. G. Hunt, D. L. Karlen, T. A. Matheny, and V. L. Quisenberry, “Changes in carbon content of a Norfolk loamy sand after 14 years of conservation or conventional tillage,” Journal of Soil and Water Conservation, vol. 51, no. 3, pp. 255–258, 1996.
- D. A. Angers and M. Giroux, “Recently deposited organic matter in soil water-stable aggregates,” Soil Science Society of America Journal, vol. 60, no. 5, pp. 1547–1551, 1996.
- R. L. Mulvaney, S. A. Khan, and T. R. Ellsworth, “Synthetic nitrogen fertilizers deplete soil nitrogen: a global dilemma for sustainable cereal production,” Journal of Environmental Quality, vol. 38, no. 6, pp. 2295–2314, 2009.
- S. A. Khan, R. L. Mulvaney, T. R. Ellsworth, and C. W. Boast, “The myth of nitrogen fertilization for soil carbon sequestration,” Journal of Environmental Quality, vol. 36, no. 6, pp. 1821–1832, 2007.
- K. R. Olson, “Soil organic carbon sequestration, storage, retention and loss in U.S. croplands: issues paper for protocol development,” Geoderma, vol. 195-196, pp. 201–206, 2013.
- K. R. Olson, “Impacts of tillage, slope, and erosion on soil organic carbon retention,” Soil Science, vol. 175, no. 11, pp. 562–567, 2010.
- J. M. F. Johnson, D. C. Reicosky, R. R. Allmaras, T. J. Sauer, R. T. Venterea, and C. J. Dell, “Greenhouse gas contributions and mitigation potential of agriculture in the central USA,” Soil and Tillage Research, vol. 83, no. 1, pp. 73–94, 2005.
- M. A. Liebig, J. A. Morgan, J. D. Reeder, B. H. Ellert, H. T. Gollany, and G. E. Schuman, “Greenhouse gas contributions and mitigation potential of agricultural practices in northwestern USA and western Canada,” Soil and Tillage Research, vol. 83, no. 1, pp. 25–52, 2005.
- A. J. Franzluebbers, “Soil organic carbon sequestration and greenhouse gas emissions in the southeastern United States,” Soil Science Society of America Journal, vol. 74, no. 2, pp. 347–357, 2005.
- A. J. Franzluebbers, “Achieving soil organic carbon sequestration with conservation agricultural systems in the southeastern United States,” Soil Science Society of America Journal, vol. 74, no. 2, pp. 347–357, 2010.
- R. Lal, J. M. Kimble, R. F. Follett, and C. V. Cole, The Potential of U.S. Cropland To Sequesters Carbon and Mitigate the Greenhouse Effect, Sleeping Bear Press, Chelsea, Mich, USA, 1998.
- B. K. Kitur, K. R. Olson, S. A. Ebelhar, and D. G. Bullock, “Tillage effects on growth and yields of corn on Grantsburg soil,” Journal of Soil and Water Conservation, vol. 49, no. 3, pp. 266–271, 1994.
- K. R. Olson, S. A. Ebelhar, and J. M. Lang, “Impact of conservation tillage systems on maize and soybean yields of eroded Illinois soils,” Journal of Agronomy, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 31–35, 2004.
- K. R. Olson, J. M. Lang, and S. A. Ebelhar, “Soil organic carbon changes after 12 years of no-tillage and tillage of Grantsburg soils in southern Illinois,” Soil and Tillage Research, vol. 81, no. 2, pp. 217–225, 2005.
- Soil Survey Staff, “Soil taxonomy, a basic system of soil classification for making and interpreting soil survey,” in United States Department of Agriculture Handbook 436, p. 869, Government Printing Office, Washington, DC, USA, 2nd edition, 1999.
- W. G. Cochran and G. M. Cox, Experimental Design, vol. 13, John Wiley and Sons, New York, NY, USA, 2nd edition, 1957.
- P. R. Hill, J. V. Manning, and J. R. Wilcox, Estimating Corn and Soybean Residue Cover, Agronomy Guide. Purdue University Cooperative Extension Service, West Lafayette, Ind, USA, 1989.
- N. Widman, RUSLE2—Instructions and User Guide, USDA, Natural Resources Conservation Service, Washington, DC, USA, 2004.
- R. D. Walker and R. A. Pope, Estimating Your Soil Erosion Losses With the Universal Soil Loss Equation (USLE), University of Illinois, Extension Service Circular, 1983.
- Soil Survey Staff, “Soil survey laboratory methods manual,” Soil Survey Investigations Report, 42, Version 4. 0, National Soil Survey Center, Lincoln, Mass, USA, 2004.
- S. A. S. Institute, SAS/STAT Guide For Personal Computers Version 6, SAS Institute, Cary, NC, USA, 2002.
- D. J. Eckert, “Tillage system planting date interactions in corn production,” Agronomy Journal, vol. 76, no. 4, pp. 580–582, 1984.