- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Applied and Environmental Soil Science
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 624013, 7 pages
Effects of Vegetation Type and Management Practice on Soil Respiration of Grassland in Northern Japan
1Center for Global Environmental Research, National Institute for Environmental Studies, 16-2 Onogawa, Tsukuba, Ibaraki 305-8506, Japan
2River Basin Research Center, Gifu University, 1-1 Yanagido Gifu, Gifu 501-1193, Japan
Received 3 July 2013; Revised 27 August 2013; Accepted 10 September 2013
Academic Editor: Artemi Cerda
Copyright © 2013 Minaco Adachi and Satoshi Tsuda. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- T. Oikawa and A. Ito, “Modeling carbon dynamics of terrestrial ecosystem in monsoon Asia,” in Present and Future of Modeling Global Environmental Change: Towards Integrated Modeling, T. Matsuno and H. Kida, Eds., pp. 207–219, Terra Scientific, Tokyo, Japan, 2001.
- M. Kamada and N. Nakagoshi, “Influence of cultural factors on landscapes of mountainous farm villages in Western Japan,” Landscape and Urban Planning, vol. 37, no. 1-2, pp. 85–90, 1997.
- Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries, “Report on results of 2005 census of Agriculture and Forestry in Japan,” Tokyo, Japan, 2005.
- K. Tansey, J.-M. Grégoire, E. Binaghi et al., “A global inventory of burned areas at 1 km resolution for the year 2000 derived from spot vegetation data,” Climatic Change, vol. 67, no. 2-3, pp. 345–377, 2004.
- K. Asami, T. Hattori, and H. Akamatsu, “A study on management by cutting of the embankment vegetation,” The Japanese Institute of Landscape Architecture, vol. 58, no. 5, pp. 125–128, 1995.
- L. N. Kobziar and S. L. Stephens, “The effects of fuels treatments on soil carbon respiration in a Sierra Nevada pine plantation,” Agricultural and Forest Meteorology, vol. 141, no. 2–4, pp. 161–178, 2006.
- M. Bahn, M. Rodeghiero, M. Anderson-Dunn et al., “Soil respiration in European grasslands in relation to climate and assimilate supply,” Ecosystems, vol. 11, no. 8, pp. 1352–1367, 2008.
- F. García-Orenes, A. Cerdà, J. Mataix-Solera et al., “Effects of agricultural management on surface soil properties and soil-water losses in eastern Spain,” Soil & Tillage Research, vol. 106, no. 1, pp. 117–123, 2009.
- F. García-Orenes, C. Guerrero, A. Roldán et al., “Soil microbial biomass and activity under different agricultural management systems in a semiarid Mediterranean agroecosystem,” Soil & Tillage Research, vol. 109, no. 2, pp. 110–115, 2010.
- A. Fterich, M. Mahdhi, and M. Mars, “The effects of Acacia tortilis subsp. raddiana, soil texture and soil depth on soil microbial and biochemical characteristics in arid zones of Tunisia,” Land Degradation & Development, 2011.
- A. C. Campos, J. B. Etchevers, K. L. Oleschko, and C. M. Hidahgo, “Soil microbial biomass and nitrogen mineralization rates along an altitudinal gradient on the Cofre de Perote Volcano (Mexico): the importance of landscape position and land use,” Land Degradation & Development, 2012.
- R. Guénon, M. Vennetier, N. Dupuy, S. Roussos, A. Pailler, and R. Gros, “Trends in recovery of Mediterranean soil chemical properties and microbial activities after infrequent and frequent wildfires,” Land Degradation & Development, vol. 24, pp. 115–128, 2013.
- A. N. Oo, C. B. Iwai, and P. Saenjan, “Soil properties and maize growth in saline and nonsaline soils using cassava-industrial waste compost and vermicompost with or without earthworms,” Land Degradation & Development, 2013.
- R. L. F. Vasconcellos, J. A. Bonfim, D. Baretta, and E. J. B. N. Cardoso, “Arbuscular mycorrahizal fungi and glomalin-related soil protein as potential indicators of soil quality in a recuperation gradient of the Atlantic forest in Brazil,” Land Degradation & Development, 2013.
- J. P. Wu, Z. F. Liu, Y. X. Sun, L. X. Zhou, Y. B. Lin, and S. L. Fu, “Introduced Eucalyptus urophylla plantations change the composition of the soil microbial community in subtropical China,” Land Degradation & Development, vol. 24, pp. 400–406, 2013.
- S. Jaiarree, A. Chidthaisong, N. Tangtham, C. Polprasert, E. Sarobol, and S. C. Tyler, “Carbon budget and sequestration potential in a sandy soil treated with compost,” Land Degradation & Development, 2011.
- T. B. Bruun, B. Elberling, A. de Neergaard, and J. Magid, “Organic carbon dynamics in different soil types after conversion of forest to agriculture,” Land Degradation & Development, 2013.
- N. Liang, T. Nakadai, T. Hirano et al., “In situ comparison of four approaches to estimating soil CO2 efflux in a northern larch (Larix kaempferi Sarg.) forest,” Agricultural and Forest Meteorology, vol. 123, no. 1-2, pp. 97–117, 2004.
- Y. Yazaki, S. Mariko, and H. Koizumi, “Carbon dynamics and budget in a Miscanthus sinensis grassland in Japan,” Ecological Research, vol. 19, no. 5, pp. 511–520, 2004.
- W. Mo, M.-S. Lee, M. Uchida et al., “Seasonal and annual variations in soil respiration in a cool-temperate deciduous broad-leaved forest in Japan,” Agricultural and Forest Meteorology, vol. 134, pp. 81–94, 2005.
- H. Shibata, T. Hiura, Y. Tanaka, K. Takagi, and T. Koike, “Carbon cycling and budget in a forested basin of Southwestern Hokkaido, Northern Japan,” Ecological Research, vol. 20, no. 3, pp. 325–331, 2005.
- M.-S. Lee, J.-S. Lee, and H. Koizumi, “Temporal variation in CO2 efflux from soil and snow surfaces in a Japanese cedar (Cryptomeria japonica) plantation, central Japan,” Ecological Research, vol. 23, no. 4, pp. 777–785, 2008.
- D. Dhital, Y. Yashiro, T. Ohtsuka, H. Noda, Y. Shizu, and H. Koizumi, “Carbon dynamics and budget in a Zoysia japonica grassland, central Japan,” Journal of Plant Research, vol. 123, no. 4, pp. 519–530, 2010.
- T. Ohtsuka, Y. Shizu, A. Nishiwaki, Y. Yashiro, and H. Koizumi, “Carbon cycling and net ecosystem production at an early stage of secondary succession in an abandoned coppice forest,” Journal of Plant Research, vol. 123, no. 4, pp. 393–401, 2010.
- T. Inoue and H. Koizumi, “Effects of environmental factors upon variation in soil respiration of a Zoysia japonica grassland, central Japan,” Ecological Research, vol. 27, no. 2, pp. 445–452, 2012.
- G. Cao, Y. Tang, W. Mo, Y. Wang, Y. Li, and X. Zhao, “Grazing intensity alters soil respiration in an alpine meadow on the Tibetan plateau,” Soil Biology and Biochemistry, vol. 36, no. 2, pp. 237–243, 2004.
- S. Mukhopadhyay and S. K. Maiti, “Soil CO2 Flux in grassland, afforested land and reclaimed coalmine overburden dumps: a case study,” Land Degradation & Development, 2012.
- S. Hashimoto, “Q10 values of soil respiration in Japanese forests,” Journal of Forest Research, vol. 10, no. 5, pp. 409–413, 2005.
- M. Schmitt, M. Bahn, G. Wohlfahrt, U. Tappeiner, and A. Cernusca, “Land use affects the net ecosystem CO2 exchange and its components in mountain grasslands,” Biogeosciences, vol. 7, no. 8, pp. 2297–2309, 2010.
- S. Ma, J. Chen, M. North, H. E. Erickson, M. Bresee, and J. Le Moine, “Short-term effects of experimental burning and thinning on soil respiration in an old-growth, mixed-conifer forest,” Environmental Management, vol. 33, no. 1, pp. S148–S159, 2004.
- A. K. Knapp, S. L. Conard, and J. M. Blair, “Determinants of soil CO2 flux from a sub-humid grassland: effect of fire and fire history,” Ecological Applications, vol. 8, no. 2, pp. 760–770, 1998.
- W. Xu and S. Wan, “Water- and plant-mediated responses of soil respiration to topography, fire, and nitrogen fertilization in a semiarid grassland in Northern China,” Soil Biology and Biochemistry, vol. 40, no. 3, pp. 679–687, 2008.
- A. Rey, E. Pegoraro, C. Oyonarte, A. Were, P. Escribano, and J. Raimundo, “Impact of land degradation on soil respiration in a steppe (Stipa tenacissima L.) semi-arid ecosystem in the SE of Spain,” Soil Biology and Biochemistry, vol. 43, no. 2, pp. 393–403, 2011.
- T. Hernández, C. García, and I. Reinhardt, “Short-term effect of wildfire on the chemical, biochemical and microbiological properties of Mediterranean pine forest soils,” Biology and Fertility of Soils, vol. 25, no. 2, pp. 109–116, 1997.
- S. Castaldi, A. de Grandcourt, A. Rasile, U. Skiba, and R. Valentini, “CO2, CH4 and N2O fluxes from soil of a burned grassland in Central Africa,” Biogeosciences, vol. 7, no. 11, pp. 3459–3471, 2010.
- K. Ono, M. Mano, G. H. Han et al., “Environmental controls on fallow carbon dioxide flux in a single-crop rice paddy, Japan,” Land Degradation & Development, 2013.
- T. Y. Ito and S. Takatsuki, “Relationship between a high density of sika deer and productivity of the short-grass (Zoysia japonica) community: a case study on Kinkazan Island, Northern Japan,” Ecological Research, vol. 20, no. 5, pp. 573–579, 2005.
- S. Shimoda, S. Murayama, W. Mo, and T. Oikawa, “Seasonal contribution of C3 and C4 species to ecosystem respiration and photosynthesis estimated from isotopic measurements of atmospheric CO2 at a grassland in Japan,” Agricultural and Forest Meteorology, vol. 149, no. 3-4, pp. 603–613, 2009.