- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Applied and Environmental Soil Science
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 642098, 7 pages
Nickel in Soil Modifies Sensitivity to Diazinon Measured by the Activity of Acetylcholinesterase, Catalase, and Glutathione S-Transferase in Earthworm Eisenia fetida
Department of Animal Physiology and Ecotoxicology, Faculty of Biology and Environmental Protection, University of Silesia, Bankowa 9, 40007 Katowice, Poland
Received 16 July 2013; Accepted 24 September 2013
Academic Editor: Yongchao Liang
Copyright © 2013 Agnieszka Zawisza-Raszka and Bogdan Dolezych. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. J. Scott-Fordsmand and J. M. Weeks, “Biomarkers in earthworms,” Reviews of Environmental Contamination and Toxicology, vol. 165, pp. 117–159, 2000.
- A. Furst, “My saga with earthworms,” Food and Chemical Toxicology, vol. 40, no. 6, pp. 789–791, 2002.
- D. J. Spurgeon, J. M. Weeks, and C. A. M. van Gestel, “A summary of eleven years progress in earthworm ecotoxicology,” Pedobiologia, vol. 47, no. 5-6, pp. 588–606, 2003.
- J. Bak, J. Jensen, M. M. Larsen, G. Pritzl, and J. Scott-Fordsmand, “A heavy metal monitoring-programme in Denmark,” Science of the Total Environment, vol. 207, no. 2-3, pp. 179–186, 1997.
- R. D. Reeves and A. J. M. Baker, “Metal-accumulating plants,” in Phytoremediation of Toxic Metals: Using Plants to Clean Up the Environment, I. Raskin and B. D. Ensley, Eds., pp. 139–229, John Wiley & Sons, New York, NY, USA, 2000.
- C. Sirguey, S. Masoura, C. Schwartz, G. Echevarria, and J. L. Morel, “Phytoextraction and bioavailability of Cd and Ni in soils,” in Ultramafic Rocks: Their Soils, Vegetation and Fauna. Proceedings of the Fourth International Conference on Serpentine Ecology, R. S. Boyd, A. J. M. Baker, and J. Proctor, Eds., pp. 305–310, Science Reviews, St Albans, UK, 2003.
- M. Augustyniak, J. Mesjasz-Przybylowicz, M. Nakonieczny, M. Dybowska, W. Przybylowicz, and P. Migula, “Food relations between Chrysolina pardalina and Berkheya coddii, a nickel hyperaccumulator from South African ultramafic outcrops,” Fresenius Environmental Bulletin, vol. 11, no. 2, pp. 85–90, 2002.
- M. I. Zorn, C. A. M. van Gestel, and H. Eijsackers, “The effect of Lumbricus rubellus and Lumbricus terrestris on zinc distribution and availability in artificial soil columns,” Biology and Fertility of Soils, vol. 41, no. 3, pp. 212–215, 2005.
- J. J. Scott-Fordsmand, J. M. Weeks, and S. P. Hopkin, “Toxicity of nickel to the earthworm and the applicability of the neutral red retention assay,” Ecotoxicology, vol. 7, no. 5, pp. 291–295, 1998.
- K. Lock and C. R. Janssen, “Ecotoxicity of nickel to Eisenia fetida, Enchytraeus albidus and Folsomia candida,” Chemosphere, vol. 46, no. 2, pp. 197–200, 2002.
- A. Dhainaut and P. Scaps, “Immune defense and biological responses induced by toxics in Annelida,” Canadian Journal of Zoology, vol. 79, no. 2, pp. 233–253, 2001.
- P. Łaszczyca, M. Augustyniak, A. Babczyńska et al., “Profiles of enzymatic activity in earthworms from zinc, lead and cadmium polluted areas near Olkusz (Poland),” Environment International, vol. 30, no. 7, pp. 901–910, 2004.
- J. M. Weeks, D. J. Spurgeon, C. Svendsen et al., “Critical analysis of soil invertebrate biomarkers: a field case study in Avonmouth, UK,” Ecotoxicology, vol. 13, no. 8, pp. 817–822, 2004.
- L. H. Booth, V. Heppelthwaite, and A. McGlinchy, “The effect of environmental parameters on growth, cholinesterase activity and glutathione S-transferase activity in the earthworm (Apporectodea caliginosa),” Biomarkers, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 46–55, 2000.
- E. L. B. Novelli, N. L. Rodrigues, and B. O. Ribas, “Superoxide radical and toxicity of environmental nickel exposure,” Human and Experimental Toxicology, vol. 14, no. 3, pp. 248–251, 1995.
- D. J. Spurgeon, M. A. Tomlin, and S. P. Hopkin, “Influence of temperature on the toxicity of zinc to the earthworm Eisenia fetida,” Bulletin of Environmental Contamination and Toxicology, vol. 58, no. 2, pp. 283–290, 1997.
- A. Ostrowska, S. Gawlinski, and Z. Szczubialka, Methods of Analysis and Evaluation of the Soil and Plants Properties, Instytut Ochrony Srodowiska, Warsaw, Poland, 1991 (Polish).
- OECD (Organization for the Economic Cooperation and Development), Guidelines for the Testing of Chemicals, Earthworm Acute Toxicity Tests no 207, Original Adoption, 1984.
- V. J. G. Houba, T. M. Lexmond, I. Novozamsky, and J. J. van der Lee, “State of the art and future developments in soil analysis for bioavailability assessment,” Science of the Total Environment, vol. 178, pp. 21–28, 1996.
- I. Barrera, P. Andrés, and J. M. Alcañiz, “Sewage sludge application on soil: effects on two earthworm species,” Water, Air, and Soil Pollution, vol. 129, no. 1–4, pp. 319–332, 2001.
- P. Scaps, C. Grelle, and M. Descamps, “Cadmium and lead accumulation in the earthworm Eisenia fetida (Savigny) and its impact on cholinesterase and metabolic pathway enzyme activity,” Comparative Biochemistry and Physiology C, vol. 116, no. 3, pp. 233–238, 1997.
- C. Dauberschmidt, D. R. Dietrich, and C. Schlatter, “Esterases in the zebra mussel Dreissena polymorpha: activities, inhibition, and binding to organophosphates,” Aquatic Toxicology, vol. 37, no. 4, pp. 295–305, 1997.
- H. Aebi, “Catalase in vitro,” Methods in Enzymology, vol. 105, pp. 121–126, 1984.
- S. J. Yu, “Host plant induction of glutathione S-transferase in the fall armyworm,” Pesticide Biochemistry and Physiology, vol. 18, no. 1, pp. 101–106, 1982.
- M. M. Bradford, “A rapid and sensitive method for the quantitation of microgram quantities of protein utilizing the principle of protein dye binding,” Analytical Biochemistry, vol. 72, no. 1-2, pp. 248–254, 1976.
- F. Leduc, J. K. Whalen, and G. I. Sunahara, “Growth and reproduction of the earthworm Eisenia fetida after exposure to leachate from wood preservatives,” Ecotoxicology and Environmental Safety, vol. 69, no. 2, pp. 219–226, 2008.
- T. Jager, S. A. Reinecke, and A. J. Reinecke, “Using process-based modelling to analyse earthworm life cycles,” Soil Biology and Biochemistry, vol. 38, no. 1, pp. 1–6, 2006.
- T. Phipps, S. L. Tank, J. Wirtz et al., “Essentiality of nickel and homeostatic mechanisms for its regulation in terrestrial organisms,” Environmental Reviews, vol. 10, no. 4, pp. 209–261, 2002.
- E. F. Neuhauser, Z. V. Cukic, M. R. Malecki, R. C. Loehr, and P. R. Durkin, “Bioconcentration and biokinetics of heavy metals in the earthworm,” Environmental Pollution, vol. 89, no. 3, pp. 293–301, 1995.
- M. Saint-Denis, J. F. Narbonne, C. Arnaud, and D. Ribera, “Biochemical responses of the earthworm Eisenia fetida andrei exposed to contaminated artificial soil: effects of lead acetate,” Soil Biology and Biochemistry, vol. 33, no. 3, pp. 395–404, 2001.
- S. Panda and S. K. Sahu, “Recovery of acetylcholine esterase activity of Drawida willsi (Oligochaeta) following application of three pesticides to soil,” Chemosphere, vol. 55, no. 2, pp. 283–290, 2004.
- M. J. Jonker, A. M. Piskiewicz, N. Ivorra i Castellá, and J. E. Kammenga, “Toxicity of binary mixtures of cadmium-copper and carbendazim-copper to the nematode Caenorhabditis elegans,” Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry, vol. 23, no. 6, pp. 1529–1537, 2004.
- Y. Y. Mosleh, S. Paris-Palacios, M. Couderchet, S. Biagianti-Risbourg, and G. Vernet, “Effects of the herbicide isoproturon on metallothioneins, growth, and antioxidative defenses in the aquatic worm Tubifex tubifex (Oligochaeta, Tubificidae),” Ecotoxicology, vol. 14, no. 5, pp. 559–571, 2005.
- P. K. Hankard, C. Svendsen, J. Wright et al., “Biological assessment of contaminated land using earthworm biomarkers in support of chemical analysis,” Science of the Total Environment, vol. 330, no. 1–3, pp. 9–20, 2004.
- S. Jänsch, G. K. Frampton, J. Römbke, P. J. van den Brink, and J. J. Scott-Fordsmand, “Effects of pesticides on soil invertebrates in model ecosystem and field studies: a review and comparison with laboratory toxicity data,” Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry, vol. 25, no. 9, pp. 2490–2501, 2006.
- M. J. Jonker, R. A. J. C. Sweijen, and J. E. Kammenga, “Toxicity of simple mixtures to the nematode Caenorhabditis elegans in relation to soil sorption,” Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry, vol. 23, no. 2, pp. 480–488, 2004.
- G. K. Frampton, S. Jänsch, J. J. Scott-Fordsmand, J. Römbke, and P. J. van den Brink, “Effects of pesticides on soil invertebrates in laboratory studies: a review and analysis using species sensitivity distributions,” Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry, vol. 25, no. 9, pp. 2480–2489, 2006.
- C. Pelosi, S. Barot, Y. Capowiez, M. Hedde, and F. Vandenbulcke, “Pesticides and earthworms. A review,” Agronomy for Sustainable Development, 2013.
- S. Yasmin and D. D'Souza, “Effects of pesticides on the growth and reproduction of earthworm: a review,” Applied and Environmental Soil Science, vol. 2010, Article ID 678360, 9 pages, 2010.
- A. Zawisza-Raszka and B. Dolezych, “Acetylcholinesterase, catalase and glutathione S-transferase activity in beet armyworm (Spodoptera exigua) exposed to nickel and/or diazinon,” Acta Biologica Hungarica, vol. 59, no. 1, pp. 31–45, 2008.
- A. Zawisza-Raszka, B. Dolezych, S. Dolezych, P. Migula, and M. Ligaszewski, “Effects of nickel exposure and acute pesticide intoxication on acetylcholinesterase, catalase and glutathione S-transferase activity and glucose absorption in the digestive tract of Helix aspersa (Pulmonata, Helicidae),” International Journal of Environment and Pollution, vol. 40, no. 4, pp. 380–390, 2010.