- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Applied and Environmental Soil Science
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 648697, 8 pages
Uptake of Sulfadiazine Sulfonamide from Water by Clinoptilolite
1Faculty of Earth Sciences, China University of Geosciences, Wuhan 430074, China
2Geosciences Department, University of Wisconsin-Parkside, Kenosha, WI 53141-2000, USA
Received 21 March 2013; Accepted 20 September 2013
Academic Editor: Davey Jones
Copyright © 2013 Zhaohui Li et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. Białk-Bielińska, S. Stolte, M. Matzke et al., “Hydrolysis of sulphonamides in aqueous solutions,” Journal of Hazardous Materials, vol. 221-222, pp. 264–274, 2012.
- J. Gao and J. A. Pedersen, “Adsorption of sulfonamide antimicrobial agents to clay minerals,” Environmental Science and Technology, vol. 39, no. 24, pp. 9509–9516, 2005.
- S. Thiele-Bruhn, T. Seibicke, H.-R. Schulten, and P. Leinweber, “Sorption of sulfonamide pharmaceutical antibiotics on whole soils and particle-size fractions,” Journal of Environmental Quality, vol. 33, no. 4, pp. 1331–1342, 2004.
- A. B. A. Boxall, P. Blackwell, R. Cavallo, P. Kay, and J. Tolls, “The sorption and transport of a sulphonamide antibiotic in soil systems,” Toxicology Letters, vol. 131, no. 1-2, pp. 19–28, 2002.
- W. Lertpaitoonpan, S. K. Ong, and T. B. Moorman, “Effect of organic carbon and pH on soil sorption of sulfamethazine,” Chemosphere, vol. 76, no. 4, pp. 558–564, 2009.
- D. Avisar, O. Primor, I. Gozlan, and H. Mamane, “Sorption of sulfonamides and tetracyclines to montmorillonite clay,” Water, Air, and Soil Pollution, vol. 209, no. 1–4, pp. 439–450, 2010.
- J. Gao and J. A. Pedersen, “Sorption of sulfonamide antimicrobial agents to humic acid-clay complexes,” Journal of Environmental Quality, vol. 39, no. 1, pp. 228–235, 2010.
- P. Sukul, M. Lamshöft, S. Zühlke, and M. Spiteller, “Photolysis of 14C-sulfadiazine in water and manure,” Chemosphere, vol. 71, no. 4, pp. 717–725, 2008.
- A. K. Sarmah, M. T. Meyer, and A. B. A. Boxall, “A global perspective on the use, sales, exposure pathways, occurrence, fate and effects of veterinary antibiotics (VAs) in the environment,” Chemosphere, vol. 65, no. 5, pp. 725–759, 2006.
- P. Sukul, M. Lamshöft, S. Zühlke, and M. Spiteller, “Sorption and desorption of sulfadiazine in soil and soil-manure systems,” Chemosphere, vol. 73, no. 8, pp. 1344–1350, 2008.
- K. Schauss, A. Focks, H. Heuer et al., “Analysis, fate and effects of the antibiotic sulfadiazine in soil ecosystems,” Trends in Analytical Chemistry, vol. 28, no. 5, pp. 612–618, 2009.
- M. Unold, R. Kasteel, J. Groeneweg, and H. Vereecken, “Transport and transformation of sulfadiazine in soil columns packed with a silty loam and a loamy sand,” Journal of Contaminant Hydrology, vol. 103, no. 1-2, pp. 38–47, 2009.
- T. Müller, I. Rosendahl, A. Focks, J. Siemens, J. Klasmeier, and M. Matthies, “Short-term extractability of sulfadiazine after application to soils,” Environmental Pollution, vol. 172, pp. 180–185, 2013.
- K. M. Doretto and S. Rath, “Sorption of sulfadiazine on Brazilian soils,” Chemosphere, vol. 90, no. 6, pp. 2027–2034, 2013.
- I. Braschi, G. Gatti, G. Paul, C. E. Gessa, M. Cossi, and L. Marchese, “Sulfonamide antibiotics embedded in high silica zeolite Y: a combined experimental and theoretical study of host-guest and guest-guest interactions,” Langmuir, vol. 26, no. 12, pp. 9524–9532, 2010.
- Z. Li and R. S. Bowman, “Counterion effects on the sorption of cationic surfactant and chromate on natural clinoptilolite,” Environmental Science and Technology, vol. 31, no. 8, pp. 2407–2412, 1997.
- E. Sullivan, D. Hunter, and R. S. Bowman, “Topological and thermal properties of surfactant-modified clinoptilolite studied by tapping-mode™ atomic force microscopy and high-resolution thermogravimetric analysis,” Clays and Clay Minerals, vol. 45, no. 1, pp. 42–53, 1997.
- H. Sakurai and T. Ishimitsu, “Microionization constants of sulphonamides,” Talanta, vol. 27, no. 3, pp. 293–298, 1980.
- J. Witt, Pharmacokinetics of Sulfadiazine in Pigs, der Universität Osnabrück, Osnabrück, Germany, 2006.
- J.-B. Park, S.-H. Lee, J.-W. Lee, and C.-Y. Lee, “Lab scale experiments for permeable reactive barriers against contaminated groundwater with ammonium and heavy metals using clinoptilolite (01-29B),” Journal of Hazardous Materials, vol. 95, no. 1-2, pp. 65–79, 2002.
- L. Wu, Z. L. Li, N. Hoeppner, G. Lv, and L. Liao, “Interactions between sulfa drug sulfadiazine and hydrophobic talc surfaces,” Colloids and Surfaces A, 2014.
- C.-J. Wang, Z. Li, W.-T. Jiang, J.-S. Jean, and C.-C. Liu, “Adsorption and intercalation properties of antibiotic ciprofloxacin on montmorillonite,” Journal of Hazardous Materials, vol. 183, no. 1–3, pp. 309–314, 2010.
- Q. Wu, Z. Li, H. Hong, K. Yin, and L. Tie, “Adsorption and intercalation of ciprofloxacin on montmorillonite,” Applied Clay Science, vol. 50, no. 2, pp. 204–211, 2010.
- P.-H. Chang, Z. Li, T.-L. Yu et al., “Sorptive removal of tetracycline from water by palygorskite,” Journal of Hazardous Materials, vol. 165, no. 1–3, pp. 148–155, 2009.
- I. Turku, T. Sainio, and E. Paatero, “Thermodynamics of tetracycline adsorption on silica,” Environmental Chemistry Letters, vol. 5, no. 4, pp. 225–228, 2007.
- C. Zarfl, Chemical Fate of Sulfadiazine in Soil: Mechanisms and Modelling Approaches, der Universität Osnabrück, Osnabrück, Germany, 2008.
- S. Thiele-Bruhn, “Pharmaceutical antibiotic compounds in soils-a review,” Journal of Plant Nutrition and Soil Science, vol. 166, no. 2, pp. 145–167, 2003.
- W. Yang, F. Zheng, X. Xue, and Y. Lu, “Investigation into adsorption mechanisms of sulfonamides onto porous adsorbents,” Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, vol. 362, no. 2, pp. 503–509, 2011.
- M. J. Prieto, D. Bacigalupe, O. Pardini et al., “Nanomolar cationic dendrimeric sulfadiazine as potential antitoxoplasmic agent,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 326, no. 1-2, pp. 160–168, 2006.
- P. Guru, R. K. Gautam, and M. P. Goutam, “Synthesis, spectral and toxicological studies of complex Zn(II) with sulfadiazine,” Chemical Papers, vol. 58, no. 5, pp. 341–347, 2004.
- A. Martucci, M. A. Cremonini, S. Blasioli et al., “Adsorption and reaction of sulfachloropyridazine sulfonamide antibiotic on a high silica mordenite: a structural and spectroscopic combined study,” Microporous and Mesoporous Materials, vol. 170, pp. 274–286, 2013.
- P. A. Ajibade and G. A. Kolawole, “Synthesis, characterization, antiplasmodial and antitrypanosomal activity of some metal(III) complexes of sulfadiazine,” Bulletin of the Chemical Society of Ethiopia, vol. 22, no. 2, pp. 261–268, 2008.
- G. Huschek, D. Hollmann, N. Kurowski, M. Kaupenjohann, and H. Vereecken, “Re-evaluation of the conformational structure of sulfadiazine species using NMR and ab initio DFT studies and its implication on sorption and degradation,” Chemosphere, vol. 72, no. 10, pp. 1448–1454, 2008.