- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Applied and Environmental Soil Science
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 805206, 8 pages
Crop Residue Biomass Effects on Agricultural Runoff
1Biological Systems Engineering, University of Wisconsin, Madison, Madison, WI 53706, USA
2Land, Air and Water Resources Department, University of California, Davis, Davis, CA 95616, USA
Received 28 March 2013; Accepted 15 July 2013
Academic Editor: Davey Jones
Copyright © 2013 Damodhara R. Mailapalli et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- N. Cynthia, R. Ebel A Borchers, and F. Carriazo, “Major uses of land in the United States—2007,” Economic Information Bulletin EIB-89, USDA, 2011.
- US Environmental Protection Agency (USEPA), National water quality inventory: 2000 report to congress. EPA841-R-02-001. Office of Water, August, 2002.
- R. J. Godwin, Agricultural Engineering in Development: Tillage for Crop Production in Areas of Low Rainfall, FAO, Rome, Italy, 1990.
- K. N. Potter, H. A. Torbert, and J. E. Morrison Jr., “Tillage and residue effects on infiltration and sediment losses on vertisols,” Transactions of the American Society of Agricultural Engineers, vol. 38, no. 5, pp. 1413–1419, 1995.
- J. E. Gilley, “Tillage effects on infiltration, surface storage, and overland flow,” in Soil, Water Conservation Society, Farming for a Better Environment, pp. 46–47, Ankeny, Iowa, USA, 1995.
- D. McGarry, B. J. Bridge, and B. J. Radford, “Contrasting soil physical properties after zero and traditional tillage of an alluvial soil in the semi-arid subtropics,” Soil and Tillage Research, vol. 53, no. 2, pp. 105–115, 2000.
- J. Guérif, G. Richard, C. Dürr, J. M. Machet, S. Recous, and J. Roger-Estrade, “A review of tillage effects on crop residue management, seedbed conditions and seedling establishment,” Soil and Tillage Research, vol. 61, no. 1-2, pp. 13–32, 2001.
- D. R. Mailapalli, W. W. Wallender, M. Burger, and W. R. Horwath, “Effects of field length and management practices on dissolved organic carbon export in furrow irrigation,” Agricultural Water Management, vol. 98, no. 1, pp. 29–37, 2010.
- CTIC (Conservation Tillage Information Center), Crop Residue Management Executive Summary, Conservation Technology Information Center, West Lafayette, Ind, USA, 1998.
- P. W. Unger, B. A. Stewart, J. F. Parr, and R. P. Singh, “Crop residue management and tillage methods for conserving soil and water in semi-arid regions,” Soil and Tillage Research, vol. 20, no. 2–4, pp. 219–240, 1991.
- R. L. Blevins and W. W. Frye, “Conservation Tillage: an ecological approach to soil management,” Advances in Agronomy, vol. 51, pp. 33–78, 1993.
- S. F. Wright, J. L. Starr, and I. C. Paltineanu, “Changes in aggregate stability and concentration of glomalin during tillage management transition,” Soil Science Society of America Journal, vol. 63, no. 6, pp. 1825–1829, 1999.
- M. J. Brown, “Effect of grain straw and furrow irrigation stream size on soil erosion and infiltration,” Journal of Soil & Water Conservation, vol. 40, no. 4, pp. 389–391, 1985.
- M. J. Brown and W. D. Kemper, “Using straw in steep furrows to reduce soil erosion and increase dry bean yields,” Journal of Soil and Water Conservation, vol. 42, no. 3, pp. 187–191, 1987.
- R. D. Berg, “Straw residue to control furrow erosion on sloping, irrigated cropland,” Journal of Soil & Water Conservation, vol. 39, no. 1, pp. 58–60, 1984.
- D. E. Smika and P. W. Unger, “Effect of surface residues on soil water storage,” Advances in Soil Science, vol. 5, pp. 111–138, 1986.
- T. M. McCalla and T. J. Army, “Stubble mulch farming,” Advances in Agronomy, vol. 13, pp. 125–196, 1961.
- J. J. Bond and W. O. Willis, “Soil water evaporation: long-term drying as influenced by surface residue and evaporation potential,” Soil Science Society America Journal, vol. 35, pp. 984–987, 1971.
- S. D. Logsdon and T. C. Kaspar, “Tillage influences as measured by ponded and tension infiltration,” Journal of Soil and Water Conservation, vol. 50, no. 5, pp. 571–575, 1995.
- M. A. Arshad, A. J. Franzluebbers, and R. H. Azooz, “Components of surface soil structure under conventional and no-tillage in northwestern Canada,” Soil and Tillage Research, vol. 53, no. 1, pp. 41–47, 1999.
- B. C. Ball, M. V. Cheshire, E. A. G. Robertson, and E. A. Hunter, “Carbohydrate composition in relation to structural stability, compactibility and plasticity of two soils in a long-term experiment,” Soil and Tillage Research, vol. 39, no. 3-4, pp. 143–160, 1996.
- W. J. Gale, C. A. Cambardella, and T. B. Bailey, “Root-derived carbon and the formation and stabilization of aggregates,” Soil Science Society of America Journal, vol. 64, no. 1, pp. 201–207, 2000.
- H. Bossuyt, K. Denef, J. Six, S. D. Frey, R. Merckx, and K. Paustian, “Influence of microbial populations and residue quality on aggregate stability,” Applied Soil Ecology, vol. 16, no. 3, pp. 195–208, 2001.
- F. Ghidey and E. E. Alberts, “Residue type and placement effects on decomposition: field study and model evaluation,” Transactions of the American Society of Agricultural Engineers, vol. 36, no. 6, pp. 1611–1617, 1993.
- B. Singh, D. S. Chanasyk, W. B. McGill, and M. P. K. Nyborg, “Residue and tillage management effects on soil properties of a typic cryoboroll under continuous barley,” Soil and Tillage Research, vol. 32, no. 2-3, pp. 117–133, 1994.
- A. J. Franzluebbers, “Water infiltration and soil structure related to organic matter and its stratification with depth,” Soil and Tillage Research, vol. 66, no. 2, pp. 197–205, 2002.
- C. A. Campbell, V. O. Biederbeck, G. Wen, R. P. Zentner, J. Schoenau, and D. Hahn, “Seasonal trends in selected soil biochemical attributes: effects of crop rotation in the semiarid prairie,” Canadian Journal of Soil Science, vol. 79, no. 1, pp. 73–84, 1999.
- C. A. Campbell, G. P. Lafond, V. O. Biederbeck, G. Wen, J. Schoenau, and D. Hahn, “Seasonal trends in soil biochemical attributes: effects of crop management on a Black Chernozem,” Canadian Journal of Soil Science, vol. 79, no. 1, pp. 85–97, 1999.
- J. C. Franchini, F. J. Gonzalez-Vila, F. Cabrera, M. Miyazawa, and M. A. Pavan, “Rapid transformations of plant water-soluble organic compounds in relation to cation mobilization in an acid Oxisol,” Plant and Soil, vol. 231, no. 1, pp. 55–63, 2001.
- C. S. Dominy and R. J. Haynes, “Influence of agricultural land management on organic matter content, microbial activity and aggregate stability in the profiles of two oxisols,” Biology and Fertility of Soils, vol. 36, pp. 298–305, 2002.
- H. Kok and J. Thien, “Crop residue conservation and tillage management software,” Journal of Soil Water Conservation, vol. 49, pp. 551–553, 1994.
- D. E. Stott, L. F. Elliott, R. I. Papendick, and G. S. Campbell, “Low temperature or low water effects on microbial decomposition of wheat residue,” Soil Biology and Biochemistry, vol. 18, no. 6, pp. 577–582, 1986.
- M. M. Roper, “Straw decomposition and nitrogenase activity (C2H2 reduction): effects of soil moisture and temperature,” Soil Biology and Biochemistry, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 65–71, 1985.
- H. H. Schomberg, J. L. Steiner, and P. W. Unger, “Decomposition and nitrogen dynamics of crop residues: residue quality and water effects,” Soil Science Society of America Journal, vol. 58, no. 2, pp. 372–381, 1994.
- P. L. Brown and D. D. Dickey, “Losses of wheat straw residue under simulated field conditions,” Soil Science Society America Journal, vol. 34, no. 1, pp. 118–121, 1970.
- C. L. Douglas, R. R. Allmaras Jr., P. E. Rasmussen, R. E. Ramig, and N. C. Roager Jr., “Wheat straw composition and placement effects on decomposition in dryland agriculture of the Pacific Northwest,” Soil Science Society America Journal, vol. 44, no. 4, pp. 833–837, 1980.
- V. Gaillard, C. Chenu, and S. Recous, “Carbon mineralisation in soil adjacent to plant residues of contrasting biochemical quality,” Soil Biology and Biochemistry, vol. 35, no. 1, pp. 93–99, 2003.
- C. Poll, J. Ingwersen, M. Stemmer, M. H. Gerzabek, and E. Kandeler, “Mechanisms of solute transport affect small-scale abundance and function of soil microorganisms in the detritusphere,” European Journal of Soil Science, vol. 57, no. 4, pp. 583–595, 2006.
- J. L. Steinera, H. H. Schomberga, P. W. Ungerb, and J. Cresapb, “Crop residue decomposition in no-tillage small-grain fields,” Soil Science Society of America Journal, vol. 63, no. 6, pp. 1817–1824, 1999.
- D. R. Mailapalli, N. S. Raghuwanshi, R. Singh, G. H. Schmitz, and F. Lennartz, “Spatial and temporal variation of manning's roughness coefficient in furrow irrigation,” Journal of Irrigation and Drainage Engineering, vol. 134, no. 2, pp. 185–192, 2008.
- APHA (American Public Health Association), “Method 5310-C,” in Standard Methods For the Examination of Water and wasteWater, 20th edition, 1998.
- J. Murphy and J. P. Riley, “A modified single solution method for the determination of phosphate in natural waters,” Analytica Chimica Acta, vol. 27, pp. 31–36, 1962.
- J. C. Forster, “Soil nitrogen,” in Methods in Applied Soil Microbiology and Biochemistry, K. Alef and P. Nannipieri, Eds., pp. 79–87, Academic Press, San Diego, Calif, USA, 1995.
- T. A. Doane and W. R. Horwáth, “Spectrophotometric determination of nitrate with a single reagent,” Analytical Letters, vol. 36, no. 12, pp. 2713–2722, 2003.
- R. M. Poch, J. W. Hopmans, J. W. Six, D. E. Rolston, and J. L. McIntyre, “Considerations of a field-scale soil carbon budget for furrow irrigation,” Agriculture, Ecosystems and Environment, vol. 113, no. 1–4, pp. 391–398, 2006.
- A. P. King, K. J. Evatt, J. Six, R. M. Poch, D. E. Rolston, and J. W. Hopmans, “Annual carbon and nitrogen loadings for a furrow-irrigated field,” Agricultural Water Management, vol. 96, no. 6, pp. 925–930, 2009.
- D. R. Mailapalli, W. R. Horwath, W. W. Wallender, and M. Burger, “Infiltration, runoff, and export of dissolved organic carbon from furrow-irrigated forage fields under cover crop and no-till management in the arid climate of california,” Journal of Irrigation and Drainage Engineering, vol. 138, no. 1, pp. 35–42, 2011.