- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Applied and Environmental Soil Science
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 968682, 5 pages
Biochar Alteration of the Sorption of Substrates and Products in Soil Enzyme Assays
1Soil Research Centre, Department of Geography and Environmental Science, University of Reading, Reading RG6 6DW, UK
2SRUC, Crop and Soil Systems Research Group, West Mains Road, Edinburgh EH9 3JG, UK
3Reading Scientific Services Ltd., Reading Science Centre, University of Reading, Reading RG6 6LA, UK
Received 3 July 2013; Accepted 14 August 2013
Academic Editor: Robert L. Bradley
Copyright © 2013 Mark Swaine et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. Lehmann, M. C. Rillig, J. Thies, C. A. Masiello, W. C. Hockaday, and D. Crowley, “Biochar effects on soil biota—a review,” Soil Biology & Biochemistry, vol. 43, no. 9, pp. 1812–1836, 2011.
- M. D. Wallenstein and M. N. Weintraub, “Emerging tools for measuring and modeling the in situ activity of soil extracellular enzymes,” Soil Biology & Biochemistry, vol. 40, no. 9, pp. 2098–2106, 2008.
- Z. Zhou, D. Shi, Y. Qiu, and G. D. Sheng, “Sorptive domains of pine chars as probed by benzene and nitrobenzene,” Environmental Pollution, vol. 158, no. 1, pp. 201–206, 2010.
- Y. M. Awad, E. Blagodatskaya, Y. S. Ok, and Y. Kuzyakov, “Effects of polyacrylamide, biopolymer, and biochar on decomposition of soil organic matter and plant residues as determined by 14C and enzyme activities,” European Journal of Soil Biology, vol. 48, pp. 1–10, 2012.
- V. L. Bailey, S. J. Fansler, J. L. Smith, and H. Bolton Jr., “Reconciling apparent variability in effects of biochar amendment on soil enzyme activities by assay optimization,” Soil Biology & Biochemistry, vol. 43, no. 2, pp. 296–301, 2011.
- J. Paz-Ferreiro, G. Gascó, B. Gutiérrez, and A. Méndez, “Soil biochemical activities and the geometric mean of enzyme activities after application of sewage sludge and sewage sludge biochar to soil,” Biology and Fertility of Soils, vol. 48, pp. 511–517, 2012.
- M. A. Tabatabai and J. M. Bremner, “Use of p-nitrophenyl phosphate for assay of soil phosphatase activity,” Soil Biology & Biochemistry, vol. 1, no. 4, pp. 301–307, 1969.
- L. J. Shaw and R. G. Burns, “Enzyme activity profiles and soil quality,” in Microbiological Methods For Assessing Soil Quality, J. Bloem, D. W. Hopkins, and A. Benedetti, Eds., CABI, 2005.
- W. von Mersi and F. Schinner, “An improved and accurate method for determining the dehydrogenase activity of soils with iodonitrotetrazolium chloride,” Biology and Fertility of Soils, vol. 11, no. 3, pp. 216–220, 1991.
- S. M. Martin, R. S. Kookana, L. Van Zwieten, and E. Krull, “Marked changes in herbicide sorption-desorption upon ageing of biochars in soil,” Journal of Hazardous Materials, vol. 231-232, pp. 70–78, 2012.
- J. Ni, J. J. Pignatello, and B. Xing, “Adsorption of aromatic carboxylate ions to black carbon (Biochar) is accompanied by proton exchange with water,” Environmental Science & Technology, vol. 45, no. 21, pp. 9240–9248, 2011.
- G. Merlin, T. Lissolo, V. Morel, D. Rossel, and J. Tarradellas, “Precautions for routine use of int-reductase activity for measuring biological-activities in soil and sediments,” Environmental Toxicology and Water Quality, vol. 10, no. 3, pp. 185–192, 1995.
- B. Chen, D. Zhou, and L. Zhu, “Transitional adsorption and partition of nonpolar and polar aromatic contaminants by biochars of pine needles with different pyrolytic temperatures,” Environmental Science & Technology, vol. 42, no. 14, pp. 5137–5143, 2008.
- S. Jeffery, F. G. A. Verheijen, M. van der Velde, and A. C. Bastos, “A quantitative review of the effects of biochar application to soils on crop productivity using meta-analysis,” Agriculture, Ecosystems & Environment, vol. 144, no. 1, pp. 175–187, 2011.
- D. P. German, M. N. Weintraub, A. S. Grandy, C. L. Lauber, Z. L. Rinkes, and S. D. Allison, “Optimization of hydrolytic and oxidative enzyme methods for ecosystem studies,” Soil Biology & Biochemistry, vol. 43, no. 7, pp. 1387–1397, 2011.
- F. Camiña, C. Trasar-Cepeda, F. Gil-Sotres, and C. Leirós, “Measurement of dehydrogenase activity in acid soils rich in organic matter,” Soil Biology & Biochemistry, vol. 30, no. 8-9, pp. 1005–1011, 1998.
- A. F. Harrison, “Variation of four phosphorus properties in woodland soils,” Soil Biology & Biochemistry, vol. 11, no. 4, pp. 393–403, 1979.
- M.-C. Marx, M. Wood, and S. C. Jarvis, “A microplate fluorimetric assay for the study of enzyme diversity in soils,” Soil Biology & Biochemistry, vol. 33, no. 12-13, pp. 1633–1640, 2001.