- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Applied and Environmental Soil Science
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 981715, 8 pages
Temperature Effects on Phosphorus Release from a Biosolids-Amended Soil
1Range Cattle Research and Education Center, University of Florida, 3401 Experiment Station, Ona, FL 33865, USA
2Soil and Water Science Department, University of Florida, 2181 McCarty Hall, Gainesville, FL 32611, USA
Received 10 July 2013; Revised 23 August 2013; Accepted 23 August 2013
Academic Editor: Leonid Perelomov
Copyright © 2013 Maria L. Silveira and George A. O'Connor. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- Q. Lu, Z. L. He, and P. J. Stoffella, “Land application of biosolids in the USA: a review,” Applied and Environmental Soil Science, vol. 2012, Article ID 201462, 11 pages, 2012.
- M. L. Silveira, M. K. Miyittah, and G. A. O'Connor, “Phosphorus release from a manure-impacted spodosol: effects of a water treatment residual,” Journal of Environmental Quality, vol. 35, no. 2, pp. 529–541, 2006.
- K. R. Reddy, G. A. O'Connor, and P. M. Gale, “Phosphorus sorption capacities of wetland soils and stream sediments impacted by dairy effluent,” Journal of Environmental Quality, vol. 27, no. 2, pp. 438–447, 1998.
- J. W. White, F. J. Coale, J. T. Sims, and A. L. Shober, “Phosphorus runoff from waste water treatment biosolids and poultry litter applied to agricultural soils,” Journal of Environmental Quality, vol. 39, no. 1, pp. 314–323, 2010.
- C. J. Penn and J. T. Sims, “Phosphorus forms in biosolids-amended soils and losses in runoff: effects of wastewater treatment process,” Journal of Environmental Quality, vol. 31, no. 4, pp. 1349–1361, 2002.
- A. M. Ebeling, L. R. Cooperband, and L. G. Bundy, “Phosphorus availability to wheat from manures, biosolids, and an inorganic fertilizer,” Communications in Soil Science and Plant Analysis, vol. 34, no. 9-10, pp. 1347–1365, 2003.
- E. Frossard, S. Sinaj, and P. Dufour, “Phosphorus in urban sewage sludges as assessed by isotopic exchange,” Soil Science Society of America Journal, vol. 60, no. 1, pp. 179–182, 1996.
- A. L. Shober and J. T. Sims, “Integrating phosphorus source and soil properties into risk assessments for phosphorus loss,” Soil Science Society of America Journal, vol. 71, no. 2, pp. 551–560, 2007.
- S. L. Chinault and G. A. O'Connor, “Phosphorus release from a biosolids-amended sandy spodosol,” Journal of Environmental Quality, vol. 37, no. 3, pp. 937–943, 2008.
- G. A. O'Connor and H. A. Elliott, “The agronomic and environmental availability of biosolids-P (Phase II),” Tech. Rep. 99-PUM-2Ta, Water Environment Research Foundation (WERF), Alexandria, Va, USA, 2006.
- D. Sarkar and G. A. O'Connor, “Plant and soil responses to biosolids-phosphorus in two Florida soils with high phosphorus content,” Communications in Soil Science and Plant Analysis, vol. 35, no. 11-12, pp. 1569–1589, 2004.
- G. A. O'Connor, D. Sarkar, S. R. Brinton, H. A. Elliott, and F. G. Martin, “Phytoavailability of biosolids phosphorus,” Journal of Environmental Quality, vol. 33, no. 2, pp. 703–712, 2004.
- Z. He, H. Zhang, G. S. Toor et al., “Phosphorus distribution in sequentially extracted fractions of biosolids, poultry litter, and granulated products,” Soil Science, vol. 175, no. 4, pp. 154–161, 2010.
- R. G. V. Bramley and N. J. Barrow, “The reaction between phosphate and dry soil. II. The effect of time, temperature and moisture status during incubation on the amount of plant available P,” Journal of Soil Science, vol. 43, no. 4, pp. 759–766, 1992.
- J. K. Whalen, C. Chang, and B. M. Olson, “Nitrogen and phosphorus mineralization potentials of soils receiving repeated annual cattle manure applications,” Biology and Fertility of Soils, vol. 34, no. 5, pp. 334–341, 2001.
- P. F. Grierson, N. B. Comerford, and E. J. Jokela, “Phosphorus mineralization and microbial biomass in a Florida spodosol: effects of water potential, temperature and fertilizer application,” Biology and Fertility of Soils, vol. 28, no. 3, pp. 244–252, 1999.
- M. A. Saleque, M. J. Abedin, and N. I. Bhuiyan, “Effect of moisture and temperature regimes on available phosphorus in wetland rice soils,” Communications in Soil Science and Plant Analysis, vol. 27, no. 9-10, pp. 2017–2023, 1996.
- M. Akhtar, D. L. McCallister, and K. M. Eskridge, “Availability and fractionation of phosphorus in sewage sludge-amended soils,” Communications in Soil Science and Plant Analysis, vol. 33, no. 13-14, pp. 2057–2068, 2002.
- A. D. Simonis, “Effect of temperature on extraction of phosphorus and potassium from soils by various extracting solutions,” Communications in Soil Science and Plant Analysis, vol. 27, no. 3-4, pp. 665–684, 1996.
- N. J. Kabengi, R. A. Zurayk, R. Z. Baalbaki, and J. Ryan, “Phosphorus dynamics and characterization under long-term rotation trial,” Communications in Soil Science and Plant Analysis, vol. 34, no. 3-4, pp. 375–392, 2003.
- S. Javid and D. L. Rowell, “Assessment of the effect of time and temperature on the availability of residual phosphate in a glasshouse study of four soils using the Olsen method,” Soil Use and Management, vol. 19, no. 3, pp. 243–249, 2003.
- B. Eghball, B. J. Wienhold, B. L. Woodbury, and R. A. Eigenberg, “Plant availability of phosphorus in swine slurry and cattle feedlot manure,” Agronomy Journal, vol. 97, no. 2, pp. 542–548, 2005.
- U.S. EPA, “Process design manual: land application of sewage sludge and domestic septage,” Tech. Rep. EPA/625/R-95/001, Office of Research and Development, Cincinnati, Ohio, USA, 1995.
- A. C. Chang, A. L. Page, F. H. Sutherland, and E. Grgurevic, “Fractionation of phosphorus in sludge-affected soils,” Journal of Environmental Quality, vol. 12, no. 2, pp. 286–290, 1983.
- U.S. EPA, Methods for Determination of Inorganic Substances in Environmental Samples. Revision 2. 0, Office of Water, Washington, DC, USA, 1993.
- J. Murphy and J. P. Riley, “A modified single solution method for the determination of phosphate in natural waters,” Analytica Chimica Acta, vol. 27, pp. 31–36, 1962.
- SAS Institute, SAS Online Doc. Version 9, SAS Institute, Cary, NC, USA, 2002.
- H. J. Popel and N. Jardin, “Influence of enhanced biological phosphorus removal on sludge treatment,” Water Science and Technology, vol. 28, no. 1, pp. 263–271, 1993.
- N. J. Barrow, “The slow reactions between soil and anions: 1. Effects of time, temperature, and water content of soil on the decrease in effectiveness of phosphate for plant growth,” Soil Science, vol. 118, no. 6, pp. 380–386, 1974.
- N. J. Barrow, “Three effects of temperature on the reactions between inorganic phosphate and soil,” Journal of Soil Science, vol. 30, no. 2, pp. 271–279, 1979.
- N. J. Barrow and T. C. Shaw, “The slow reactions between soil and anions: 2. Effect of time and temperature on the decrease in phosphate concentration in the soil solution,” Soil Science, vol. 119, no. 2, pp. 167–177, 1975.
- R. G. V. Bramley, N. J. Barrow, and T. C. Shaw, “The reaction between phosphate and dry soil. I. The effect of time, temperature and dryness,” Journal of Soil Science, vol. 43, no. 4, pp. 749–758, 1992.
- R. O. Maguire, J. T. Sims, and F. J. Coale, “Phosphorus fractionation in biosolids-amended soils relationship to soluble and desorbable phosphorus,” Soil Science Society of America Journal, vol. 64, no. 6, pp. 2018–2024, 2000.
- H. A. Elliott and G. A. O'Connor, “Phosphorus management for sustainable biosolids recycling in the United States,” Soil Biology and Biochemistry, vol. 39, no. 6, pp. 1318–1327, 2007.
- H. A. Elliott, G. A. O'Connor, and S. Brinton, “Phosphorus leaching from biosolids-amended sandy soils,” Journal of Environmental Quality, vol. 31, no. 2, pp. 681–689, 2002.
- M. S. Castillo, L. E. Sollenberger, J. M. B. Vendramini et al., “Municipal biosolids as an alternative nutrient source for bioenergy crops: II. Decomposition and organic nitrogen mineralization,” Agronomy Journal, vol. 102, no. 4, pp. 1314–1320, 2010.