- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Applied and Environmental Soil Science
Volume 2014 (2014), Article ID 628024, 9 pages
Soil Assessment along Toposequences in Rural Northern Nigeria: A Geomedical Approach
1Institute of Physical Geography, University of Frankfurt, Altenhöferallee 1, 60438 Frankfurt am Main, Germany
2Institute of Physical Geography and Landscape Ecology, University of Hannover, Schneiderberg 50, 30167 Hannover, Germany
3Physical and Environmental Science Department, University of Toronto Scarborough, Military Trail 1265, Toronto, ON, Canada M1C 1A4
4Institute of Geography and Geology, University of Würzburg, Am Hubland, 97084 Würzburg, Germany
Received 23 July 2013; Revised 25 February 2014; Accepted 7 March 2014; Published 27 March 2014
Academic Editor: Amaresh K. Nayak
Copyright © 2014 Lena Hartmann et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- Hope for the Village Child Foundation (HVCF), The HVCF Centre, Collins, Kaduna, Nigeria, 2010.
- Hope for the Village Child Foundation (HVCF), The Number of Rickets Cases in Villages East of Kaduna City in the Year 2011, Kaduna, Nigeria, 2011.
- W. K. Emmert, Rachitis-ähnliche Symptome bei nigerianischen Kindern aus der Ethnie der Gbagyi in der südwestlichen Region Kadunas: Identifizierung des biochemischen Defekts, Sammeln von epidemiologischen Daten und Beschreibung des klinischen Bildes [Ph.D. thesis], University of Würzburg, Würzburg, Germany, 2009.
- C. Kitz, A. Stich, R. Ebert, F. Jakob, P. Raab, and B. Sponholz, “Rickets in Nigeria. Do geological and genetic factors play a role besides extreme calcium deficiency?” Flug und Reisemedizin, vol. 16, no. 2, pp. 76–80, 2009.
- O. A. Couppis, W. K. Emmert, C. Kitz, W. Vant Hoff, W. M. Drake, and A. Stich, “The metabolic basis of a severe rickets-like deformity in Nigerian children,” Endocrine Abstracts, vol. 12, p. 14, 2006.
- V. Braithwaite, L. M. A. Jarjou, G. R. Goldberg, H. Jones, J. M. Pettifor, and A. Prentice, “Follow-up study of Gambian children with rickets-like bone deformities and elevated plasma FGF23: possible aetiological factors,” Bone, vol. 50, no. 1, pp. 218–225, 2012.
- T. Craviari, J. M. Pettifor, T. D. Thacher, C. Meisner, J. Arnaud, and P. R. Fischer, “Rickets: an overview and future directions, with special reference to Bangladesh: a summary of the rickets convergence group meeting, Dhaka, 26-27 January 2006,” Journal of Health, Population and Nutrition, vol. 26, no. 1, pp. 112–121, 2008.
- A. Bereket, “Rickets in developing countries,” in VitamIn D and Rickets, Z. Hochberg, Ed., pp. 220–232, Karger, Basel, Switzerland, 2003.
- A. Prentice, “Nutritional rickets around the world,” The Journal of Steroid Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, vol. 136, pp. 201–2206, 2013.
- T. D. Thacher, P. R. Fischer, M. A. Strand, and J. M. Pettifor, “Nutritional rickets around the world: causes and future directions,” Annals of Tropical Paediatrics, vol. 26, no. 1, pp. 1–16, 2006.
- G. F. Combs Jr., N. Hassan, N. Dellagana et al., “Apparent efficacy of food-based calcium supplementation in preventing rickets in Bangladesh,” Biological Trace Element Research, vol. 121, no. 3, pp. 193–204, 2008.
- I. Zinßer, Polymorphisms of the vitamin D receptor gene and the 24-hydroxylase enzyme in Nigerian children with rickets [Ph.D. thesis], University of Würzburg, Würzburg, Germany, 2012.
- M. Teotia, S. P. S. Teotia, and K. P. Singh, “Endemic chronic fluoride toxicity and dietary calcium deficiency interaction syndromes of metabolic bone disease and deformities in India: year 2000,” Indian Journal of Pediatrics, vol. 65, no. 3, pp. 371–381, 1998.
- J. M. Pettifor, P. R. Fischer, T. D. Thacher, J. Arnaud, and C. A. Meissner, “Dietary calcium deficiency & rickets,” Indian Journal of Medical Research, vol. 128, no. 5, pp. 673–674, 2008.
- M. T. Bakare-Odunola, T. Kalik-Zik, R. A. Odunola, and K. Bello-Mustapha, “Nutritional assessment of the diets in rickets prevalent communities in Kaduna State of Nigeria,” International Journal of Medical Sciences, vol. 4, no. 4, pp. 110–114, 2012.
- L. Hartmann and B. Sponholz, “Spatial distribution of calcium in food, water and soil and its possible influence on rickets disease in Northern Nigeria,” Environmental Geochemistry and Health, vol. 34, no. 3, pp. 503–512, 2012.
- L. Zongping, “Studies on rickets and osteomalacia in Bactrian camels (Camelus bactrianus),” Veterinary Journal, vol. 169, no. 3, pp. 444–453, 2005.
- J. Pooley, Nutrient deficiencies in soils of the Mseleni area, Kwazulu-Natal [M.S. thesis], Stellenbosch University, Cape Town, South Africa, 2003.
- M. J. Jones and A. Wild, Soils of the West African Savanna. The Maintenance and Improvement of Their Fertility, Commonwealth Agricultural Bureaux, Slough, UK, 1975.
- J. R. Landon, Ed., Booker Tropical Soil Manual: A Handbook for Soil Survey and Agricultural Land Evaluation in the Tropics and Subtropics, Longman Scientific and Technical, New York, NY, USA, 1991.
- B. Vanlauwe, J. Diels, O. Lyasse et al., “Fertility status of soils of the derived savanna and Northern Guinea savanna and response to major plant nutrients, as influenced by soil type and land use management,” Nutrient Cycling in Agroecosystems, vol. 62, no. 2, pp. 139–150, 2002.
- B. A. Raji, W. B. Malgwi, F. R. Berding, and V. O. Chude, “Integrating indigenous knowledge and soil science approaches to detailed soil survey in Kaduna State, Nigeria,” Journal of Soil Science and Environmental Management, vol. 2, no. 3, pp. 66–73, 2011.
- J. O. Agbenin and S. Yakubu, “Potassium-calcium and potassium-magnesium exchange equilibria in an acid savanna soil from northern Nigeria,” Geoderma, vol. 136, no. 3-4, pp. 542–554, 2006.
- I. E. Esu and A. G. Ojanuga, “Morphological, physical and chemical characteristics of Alfisol in the Kaduna area of Nigeria,” Samaru Journal of Agricultural Research, vol. 3, pp. 39–49, 1985.
- J. Valette and I. J. Ibanga, The Detailed Survey of the Experimental Farm of the Institute For Agricultural Research, Samaru, Zaria, Nigeria, Institute for Agricultural Research, Zaria, Nigeria, 1984.
- J. G. Bennett, A. A. Hutcheon, W. B. Kerr, J. E. Mansfield, and L. J. Rackham, Environmental Aspects of the Kaduna Plains, Land Forms and Soils, Land Resources Report 19, Land Resources Division, Surrey, UK, 1977.
- J. G. Bennett, A. A. Hutcheon, W. B. Kerr, J. E. Mansfield, and L. J. Rackham, Environmental Aspects of the Kaduna Plains, Land Systems, Land Resources Report 19, Land Resources Division, Surrey, UK, 1977.
- A. Blair Rains, R. M. Lawton, J. E. Mansfield, and R. Rose Innes, Environmental Aspects of the Kaduna Plains, Climate and Vegetation, Land Resources Report 19, Land Resources Division, Surrey, UK, 1977.
- J. R. D. Wall, Agricultural Development Possibilities, vol. 5B of Land Resource Study 29, The Kaduna plains, Land Resources Development Centre, Surrey, UK, 1979.
- J. G. Bennett, “Aeolian deposition and soil parent materials in northern Nigeria,” Geoderma, vol. 24, no. 3, pp. 241–255, 1980.
- L. Herrmann, R. Jahn, and K. Stahr, “Identification and quantification of dust additions in peri-Saharan soils,” in The Impact of Desert Dust Across the Mediterranean, S. Guerzoni and R. Chester, Eds., pp. 173–182, Groningen, The Netherlands, 1996.
- IUSS Working Group WRB, Guidelines Ffor Soil Description, FAO, Rome, Italy, 4th edition, 2006.
- L. P. Van Reeuwijk, Procedures for Soil Analyses, ISRIC, Wageningen, Germany, 6th edition, 2012.
- K. J. Meiwes, “Chemische Untersuchungsverfahren für Mineralboden, Auflagehumus, und Wurzeln zur Charakterisierung und Bewertung der Versauerung in Waldböden,” Berichte des Forschungszentrums Waldökosysteme/Waldsterben, vol. 7, pp. 1–67, 1984.
- DIN 19684, Determination of the Humus Content of a Soil, Part 2, Deutsches Institut für Normung, Berlin, Germany, 1977.
- H. Schüller, “Die CAL-Methode, eine neue Methode zur Bestimmung des pflanzenverfügbaren Phosphates in Böden,” Zeitschrift für Pflanzenernährung und Bodenkunde, vol. 123, pp. 48–63, 1979.
- DIN 19684, Determination of Exchange Capacity of a Soil and of Amounts of Exchangeable Cations, Part 8, Deutsches Institut für Normung,, Berlin, Germany, 1977.
- H. Ciesielski and T. Sterckeman, “A comparison between three methods for the determination of cation exchange capacity and exchangeable cations in soils,” Agronomy, Agriculture and Environment, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 9–16, 1997.
- IUSS Working Group WRB, World Reference Base for Soil Resources 2006, FAO, Rome, Italy, 1st edition, 2007.
- Federal Survey Nigeria, Kaduna, sheet 32, Topographical Map, 1:250.000, Federal Survey Nigeria, Kaduna, Nigeria, 1967.
- J. P. Møberg and I. E. Esu, “Characteristics and composition of some savanna soils in Nigeria,” Geoderma, vol. 48, no. 1-2, pp. 113–129, 1991.
- R. Schulin, A. Johnson, and E. Frossard, “Trace element deficient soils,” in Trace Elements in Soils, P. Hooda, Ed., pp. 175–197, Blackwell, Chichester, UK, 2010.
- G. F. Combs Jr. and N. Hassan, “The Chakaria food system study: household-level, case-control study to identify risk factor for rickets in Bangladesh,” European Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 59, no. 11, pp. 1291–1301, 2005.
- S. J. Fairweather-Tait, Y. Bao, M. R. Broadley et al., “Selenium in human health and disease,” Antioxidants and Redox Signaling, vol. 14, no. 7, pp. 1337–1383, 2011.
- F. Jakob, L. Seefried, C. Kitz et al., “Trace elements and bone,” in Nutritional Influences on Bone Health, P. Burckhardt, B. Dawson-Hughes, and C. Weaver, Eds., pp. 81–86, London, UK, 2010.
- C. Lamberg-Allardt, H. Karp, and V. Kemi, “Phosphorus and bone,” in Nutritional Influences on Bone Health, P. Burckhardt, B. Dawson-Hughes, and C. Weaver, Eds., pp. 87–97, Springer, New York, NY, USA, 2010.