- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Applied and Environmental Soil Science
Volume 2014 (2014), Article ID 646502, 14 pages
Soil Quality Assessment Strategies for Evaluating Soil Degradation in Northern Ethiopia
1College of Agriculture, Aksum University-Shire Campus, 314 Shire, Ethiopia
2Center for Development Research (ZEF), University of Bonn, Walter-Flex Street No. 3, 53113 Bonn, Germany
Received 28 June 2013; Revised 17 November 2013; Accepted 22 November 2013; Published 4 February 2014
Academic Editor: William Horwath
Copyright © 2014 Gebreyesus Brhane Tesfahunegn. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- H. Eswaran, R. Lal, and P. F. Reich, “Land degradation: an overview,” in Response to Land Degradation, E. M. Bridges, I. D. Hannam, L. R. Oldeman, F. W. T. Penning De Vries, J. S. Scherr, and S. Sombatpanit, Eds., pp. 20–35, Science Publishers, Enfield, NH, USA, 2001.
- G. Girmay, B. R. Singh, H. Mitiku, T. Borresen, and R. Lal, “Carbon stocks in Ethiopian soils in relation to land use and soil management,” Land Degradation and Development, vol. 19, no. 4, pp. 351–367, 2008.
- R. Lal, “Soil erosion problems on alfisols in Western Nigeria, VI. Effects of erosion on experimental plots,” Geoderma, vol. 25, no. 3-4, pp. 215–230, 1981.
- R. Lal, T. M. Sobecki, T. Iivari, and J. M. Kimble, Soil Degradation in the United States: Extent, Severity and Trends, CRC Press, Boca Raton, Fla, USA, 2003.
- M. A. Denboba, Forest conversion—soil degradation—farmers’ perception nexus: implications for sustainable land use in the Southwest of Ethiopia [Ph.D. thesis], University of Bonn, Bonn, Germany, 2005.
- J. W. Doran, “Soil health and global sustainability: translating science into practice,” Agriculture, Ecosystems and Environment, vol. 88, no. 2, pp. 119–127, 2002.
- H. Hurni, K. Tato, and G. Zeleke, “The implications of changes in population, land use, and land management for surface runoff in the Upper Nile Basin Area of Ethiopia,” Mountain Research and Development, vol. 25, no. 2, pp. 147–154, 2005.
- A. Glanz, Saving Our Soil: Solutions for Sustaining Earth's Vital Resource, Johnson Books, Boulder, Colo, USA, 1995.
- J. F. Parr, R. I. Papendick, S. B. Hornick, and R. E. Meyer, “Soil quality: attributes and relationship to alternative and sustainable agriculture,” American Journal of Alternative Agriculture, vol. 7, no. 1-2, pp. 5–11, 1992.
- M. R. Carter, “Soil quality for sustainable land management: organic matter and aggregation interactions that maintain soil functions,” Agronomy Journal, vol. 94, no. 1, pp. 38–47, 2002.
- R. E. Masto, P. K. Chhonkar, D. Singh, and A. K. Patra, “Alternative soil quality indices for evaluating the effect of intensive cropping, fertilisation and manuring for 31 years in the semi-arid soils of India,” Environmental Monitoring and Assessment, vol. 136, no. 1–3, pp. 419–435, 2008.
- Z. Sakbaeva, V. Acosta-Martinez, J. Moore-Kucera, W. Hudnall, and K. Nuridin, “Interactions of soil order and land use management on soil properties in the Kukart watershed, Kyrgyzstan,” Applied and Environmental Soil Science, vol. 2012, Article ID 130941, 11 pages, 2012.
- S. S. Andrews, D. L. Karlen, and C. A. Cambardella, “The soil management assessment framework: a quantitative soil quality evaluation method,” Soil Science Society of America Journal, vol. 68, no. 6, pp. 1945–1962, 2004.
- W. J. Elliot, D. P. Dumroese, and P. R. Robichaud, “The effects of forest management on erosion and soil productivity,” in Soil Quality and Soil Erosion, R. Lal, Ed., pp. 195–209, CRC Press, Boca Raton, Fla, USA, 1999.
- M. C. Amacher, K. P. O’Neill, and C. H. Perry, “Soil vital signs: a new soil quality index (SQI) for assessing forest soil health,” Research Paper of USDA, Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Research Station, 2007.
- S. S. Andrews, D. L. Karlen, and J. P. Mitchell, “A comparison of soil quality indexing methods for vegetable production systems in Northern California,” Agriculture, Ecosystems and Environment, vol. 90, no. 1, pp. 25–45, 2002.
- R. F. Harris, D. L. Karlen, and D. J. Mulla, “A conceptual framework for assessment and management of soil quality and health,” in Methods for Assessing Soil Quality, J. W. Doran and A. J. Jones, Eds., vol. 49, pp. 61–82, Soil Science Society of America, Madison, Wis, USA, 1996.
- S. S. Andrews and C. R. Carroll, “Designing a soil quality assessment tool for sustainable agroecosystem management,” Ecological Applications, vol. 11, no. 6, pp. 1573–1585, 2001.
- B. K. Gugino, O. J. Idowu, R. R. Schindelbeck et al., Cornell Soil Health Assessment Training Manual, Cornell University, Geneva, NY, USA, 2nd edition, 2009.
- Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, The Soil and Terrain Database for Northeastern Africa (CDROM), FAO, Rome, Italy, 1998.
- J. A. Burger and D. L. Kelting, “Soil quality monitoring for assessing sustainable forest management,” in The Contribution of Soil Science to the Development and Implementation of Criteria and Indicators of Sustainable Forest Management, J. M. Gigham, Ed., vol. 53, pp. 17–45, Soil Science Society of America, Madison, Wis, USA, 1998.
- G. W. Gee and J. W. Bauder, “Particle-size analysis,” in Methods of Soil Analysis, A. Klute, Ed., Part 1, pp. 383–411, America Society of Agronomy, Soil Science Society of America, Madison, Wis, USA, 1986.
- G. R. Blake and K. H. Hartge, “Bulk density,” in Methods of Soil Analysis, A. Klute, Ed., Agronomy Monograph 9, Part 1, pp. 363–375, America Society of Agronomy, Madison, Wis, USA, 1986.
- The Nature and Properties of Soils, Prentice-Hall, Upper Saddle River, NJ, USA, 13th edition, 2002, edited by N.C. Brady and R.R. Weil.
- M. H. Beare and R. Russell Bruce, “A comparison of methods for measuring water-stable aggregates: implications for determining environmental effects on soil structure,” Geoderma, vol. 56, pp. 87–104, 1993.
- T. C. Baruah and H. P. Barthakur, A Text Book of Soil Analysis, Vikas Publishing House, New Delhi, India, 1999.
- G. W. Thomas, “Soil pH and soil acidity,” in Methods of Soil Analysis: Chemical Methods, D. L. Sparks, Ed., part 3, pp. 475–490, Soil Science Society of America, Madison, Wis, USA, 1996.
- J. M. Bremmer and C. S. Mulvaney, “Nitrogen total,” in Method of Soil Analysis, Part 2. Chemical and Microbiological Properties, A. L. Page, Ed., Agronomy Monograph 9, pp. 595–624, America Society of Agronomy, Madison, Wis, USA, 1982.
- S. R. Olsen and L. E. Sommers, “Phosphorus,” in Method of Soil Analysis: Chemical and Microbiological Properties, A. L. Page, Ed., Agronomy Monograph 9, part 2, pp. 403–430, America Society of Agronomy, Madison, Wis, USA, 1982.
- J. M. Anderson and J. S. I. Ingram, Tropical Soil Biology and Fertility, A Handbook of Methods, CAB International, Wallingford, UK, 1993.
- J. D. Rhoades, “Cation exchange capacity,” in Methods of Soil Analysis, A. L. Page, R. H. Miller, and D. R. Keeney, Eds., Agronomy Monograph 9, part 2, pp. 149–157, America Society of Agronomy, Madison, Wis, USA, 1982.
- M. S. Coyne and J. A. Thompson, Math for Soil Scientists, Thomson Delmar Learning, Clifton Park, NY, USA, 2006.
- S. S. Andrews, Sustainable agriculture alternatives: ecological and managerial implications of poultry litter management alternatives applied for agronomic soils [Ph.D. dissertation], University of Georgia, Athens, Ga, USA, 1998.
- J. W. Doran and T. B. Parkin, “Defining and assessing soil quality,” in Defining Soil Quality for a Sustainable Environment, J. W. Doran, D. G. Coleman, D. F. Bezddick, and B. A. Stewart, Eds., pp. 3–22, Soil Science Society of America, Madison, Wis, USA, 1994.
- J. W. Doran and T. B. Parkin, “Quantitative indicators of soil quality: a minimum data set,” in Methods for Assessing Soil Quality, J. W. Doran and J. Jones, Eds., pp. 25–38, Soil Science Society of America, Madison, Wis, USA, 1996.
- W. E. Larson and F. J. Pierce, “The dynamics of soil quality as a measure of sustainable management,” in Defining Soil Quality for Sustainable Environment, J. W. Doran, D. G. Coleman, D. F. Bezddick, and B. A. Stewart, Eds., pp. 37–52, Soil Science Society of America, Madison, Wis, USA, 1994.
- M. A. Liebig, G. Varvel, and J. Doran, “A simple performance-based index for assessing multiple agroecosystem functions,” Agronomy Journal, vol. 93, no. 2, pp. 313–318, 2001.
- E. Velasquez, P. Lavelle, and M. Andrade, “GISQ, a multifunctional indicator of soil quality,” Soil Biology and Biochemistry, vol. 39, no. 12, pp. 3066–3080, 2007.
- J. D. Glover, J. P. Reganold, and P. K. Andrews, “Systematic method for rating soil quality of conventional, organic, and integrated apple orchards in Washington State,” Agriculture, Ecosystems and Environment, vol. 80, no. 1-2, pp. 29–45, 2000.
- R. E. Masto, P. K. Chhonkar, D. Singh, and A. K. Patra, “Soil quality response to long-term nutrient and crop management on a semi-arid Inceptisol,” Agriculture, Ecosystems and Environment, vol. 118, pp. 130–142, 2007.
- P. J. Gregory, L. P. Simmonds, and C. J. Pilbeam, “Soil type, climatic regime, and the response of water use efficiency to crop management,” Agronomy Journal, vol. 92, no. 5, pp. 814–820, 2000.
- B. D. Kay and D. A. Angers, “Soil structure,” in Handbook of Soil Science, M. E. Summer, Ed., pp. 229–269, CRC Press, New York, NY, USA, 1999.
- M. J. Mausbach and C. A. Seybold, “Assessment of soil quality,” in Soil Quality and Agricultural Sustainability, R. Lal, Ed., pp. 33–43, Sleeping Bear Press, Chelsea, Mich, USA, 1998.
- D. L. Karlen and D. E. Scott, “A framework for evaluating physical and chemical indicators of soil quality,” in Defining Soil Quality for a Sustainable Environment, J. W. Doran, D. C. Coleman, D. F. Bezdicek, and B. A. Stewart, Eds., pp. 53–72, Soil Science Society of America, Madison, Wis, USA, 1994.
- D. L. Karlen, N. C. Wollenhaupt, D. C. Erbach et al., “Crop residue effects on soil quality following 10-years of no-till corn,” Soil and Tillage Research, vol. 31, no. 2-3, pp. 149–167, 1994.
- C. A. Seybold, M. J. Mausbach, D. L. Karlen, and H. H. Rogers, “Quantification of soil quality,” in Soil Processes and the Carbon Cycle, R. Lal, J. M. Kimble, R. F. Follett, and B. A. Stewart, Eds., pp. 387–404, CRC Press, Washington, DC, USA, 1997.
- Statistical Package for Social Sciences, “Release 18.0.,” SPSS, 2011.
- J. J. Brejda, D. L. Karlen, J. L. Smith, and D. L. Allan, “Identification of regional soil quality factors and indicators: II. Northern Mississippi Loess Hills and Palouse Prairie,” Soil Science Society of America Journal, vol. 64, no. 6, pp. 2125–2135, 2000.
- R. A. Johnson and D. W. Wichern, Applied Multivariate Statistical Analysis, Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, NJ, USA, 1992.
- J. P. E. Anderson and K. H. Demsch, “Quantities of plant nutrients in the microbial biomass of selected soils,” Soil Science, vol. 130, pp. 211–216, 1980.
- G. P. Sparling, “Ratio of microbial biomass carbon to soil organic carbon as a sensitive indicator of changes in soil organic matter,” Australian Journal of Soil Research, vol. 30, no. 2, pp. 195–207, 1992.
- D. S. Jenkinson, “Determination of microbial biomass carbon and nitrogen in soil,” in Advances in Nitrogen Cycling in Agricultural Ecosystems, J. R. Wilson, Ed., pp. 368–386, CAB International, Wallingford, UK, 1988.
- S. S. Andrews, J. P. Mitchell, R. Mancinelli et al., “On-farm assessment of soil quality in California's Central Valley,” Agronomy Journal, vol. 94, no. 1, pp. 12–23, 2002.
- R. F. Fisher, “Soil organic matter: clue or conundrum,” in Carbon Forms and Functions in Forest Soils, W. H. McFee and J. M. Kelly, Eds., pp. 1–11, Soil Science Society of America, Madison, Wis, USA, 1995.
- B. Kaur, S. R. Gupta, and G. Singh, “Soil carbon, microbial activity and nitrogen availability in agroforestry systems on moderately alkaline soils in Northern India,” Applied Soil Ecology, vol. 15, no. 3, pp. 283–294, 2000.
- Z. Filip, “International approach to assessing soil quality by ecologically-related biological parameters,” Agriculture, Ecosystems and Environment, vol. 88, no. 2, pp. 169–174, 2002.
- T. Yan, L. Yang, and C. D. Campbell, “Microbial biomass and metabolic quotient of soils under different land use in the Three Gorges Reservoir area,” Geoderma, vol. 115, no. 1-2, pp. 129–138, 2003.