- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Applied and Environmental Soil Science
Volume 2014 (2014), Article ID 760950, 7 pages
Novel Castellaniella denitrificans SA13P as a Potent Malachite Green Decolorizing Strain
Microbial Resource Technology Laboratory, Department of Microbiology, Kurukshetra University, Kurukshetra, Haryana 136 119, India
Received 31 July 2013; Revised 2 January 2014; Accepted 2 January 2014; Published 6 February 2014
Academic Editor: Marco Trevisan
Copyright © 2014 Ankita Chawla and Baljeet Singh Saharan. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- N. Daneshvar, M. Ayazloo, A. R. Khataee, and M. Pourhassan, “Biological decolorization of dye solution containing Malachite Green by microalgae Cosmarium sp,” Bioresource Technology, vol. 98, no. 6, pp. 1176–1182, 2007.
- E. Forgacs, T. Cserháti, and G. Oros, “Removal of synthetic dyes from wastewaters: a review,” Environment International, vol. 30, no. 7, pp. 953–971, 2004.
- F. Rafii, J. D. Hall, and C. E. Cerniglia, “Mutagenicity of azo dyes used in foods, drugs and cosmetics before and after reduction by Clostridium species from the human intestinal tract,” Food and Chemical Toxicology, vol. 35, no. 9, pp. 897–901, 1997.
- F. He, W. Hu, and Y. Li, “Biodegradation mechanisms and kinetics of azo dye 4BS by a microbial consortium,” Chemosphere, vol. 57, no. 4, pp. 293–301, 2004.
- S. Asad, M. A. Amoozegar, A. A. Pourbabaee, M. N. Sarbolouki, and S. M. M. Dastgheib, “Decolorization of textile azo dyes by newly isolated halophilic and halotolerant bacteria,” Bioresource Technology, vol. 98, no. 11, pp. 2082–2088, 2007.
- A. L. Henderson, T. C. Schmitt, T. M. Heinze, and C. E. Cerniglia, “Reduction of malachite green to leucomalachite green by intestinal bacteria,” Applied and Environmental Microbiology, vol. 63, no. 10, pp. 4099–4101, 1997.
- P. Verma and D. Madamwar, “Decolourization of synthetic dyes by a newly isolated strain of Serratia marcescens,” World Journal of Microbiology and Biotechnology, vol. 19, no. 6, pp. 615–618, 2003.
- G. B. Michaels and D. L. Lewis, “Sorption and toxicity of azo and triphenylmethane dyes to aquatic microbial populations,” Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry, vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 45–50, 1985.
- H. M. Pinheiro, E. Touraud, and O. Thomas, “Aromatic amines from azo dye reduction: status review with emphasis on direct UV spectrophotometric detection in textile industry wastewaters,” Dyes and Pigments, vol. 61, no. 2, pp. 121–139, 2004.
- C. Raghukumar, D. D'Souza-Ticlo, and A. K. Verma, “Treatment of colored effluents with lignin-degrading enzymes: an emerging role of marine-derived fungi,” Critical Reviews in Microbiology, vol. 34, no. 3-4, pp. 189–206, 2008.
- S. J. Culp and F. A. Beland, “Malachite green: a toxicological review,” Journal of the American College of Toxicology, vol. 15, no. 3, pp. 219–238, 1996.
- S. Srivastava, R. Sinha, and D. Roy, “Toxicological effects of malachite green,” Aquatic Toxicology, vol. 66, no. 3, pp. 319–329, 2004.
- U. Shedbalkar and J. P. Jadhav, “Detoxification of malachite green and textile industrial effluent by Penicillium ochrochloron,” Biotechnology and Bioprocess Engineering, vol. 16, no. 1, pp. 196–204, 2011.
- J. P. Jadhav, G. K. Parshetti, S. D. Kalme, and S. P. Govindwar, “Decolourization of azo dye methyl red by Saccharomyces cerevisiae MTCC 463,” Chemosphere, vol. 68, no. 2, pp. 394–400, 2007.
- R. K. Jain, M. Kapur, S. Labana et al., “Microbial diversity: application of microorganisms for the biodegradation of xenobiotics,” Current Science, vol. 89, no. 1, pp. 101–112, 2005.
- C. Junghanns, G. Krauss, and D. Schlosser, “Potential of aquatic fungi derived from diverse freshwater environments to decolourise synthetic azo and anthraquinone dyes,” Bioresource Technology, vol. 99, no. 5, pp. 1225–1235, 2008.
- Y. Fu and T. Viraraghavan, “Fungal decolorization of dye wastewaters: a review,” Bioresource Technology, vol. 79, no. 3, pp. 251–262, 2001.
- G. Ozdemir, B. Pazarbasi, A. Kocyigit, E. E. Omeroglu, I. Yasa, and I. Karaboz, “Decolorization of Acid Black 210 by Vibrio harveyi TEMS1, a newly isolated bioluminescent bacterium from Izmir Bay, Turkey,” World Journal of Microbiology and Biotechnology, vol. 24, no. 8, pp. 1375–1381, 2008.
- N. Daneshvar, A. R. Khataee, M. H. Rasoulifard, and M. Pourhassan, “Biodegradation of dye solution containing Malachite Green: optimization of effective parameters using Taguchi method,” Journal of Hazardous Materials, vol. 143, no. 1-2, pp. 214–219, 2007.
- L.-T. Li, Q. Hong, X. Yan, G.-H. Fang, S. W. Ali, and S.-P. Li, “Isolation of a malachite green-degrading Pseudomonas sp. MDB-1 strain and cloning of the tmr2 gene,” Biodegradation, vol. 20, no. 6, pp. 769–776, 2009.
- C.-H. Chen, C.-F. Chang, and S.-M. Liu, “Partial degradation mechanisms of malachite green and methyl violet B by Shewanella decolorationis NTOU1 under anaerobic conditions,” Journal of Hazardous Materials, vol. 177, no. 1–3, pp. 281–289, 2010.
- L.-N. Du, S. Wang, G. Li et al., “Biodegradation of malachite green by Pseudomonas sp. strain DY1 under aerobic condition: characteristics, degradation products, enzyme analysis and phytotoxicity,” Ecotoxicology, vol. 20, no. 2, pp. 438–446, 2011.
- G. K. Parshetti, A. A. Telke, D. C. Kalyani, and S. P. Govindwar, “Decolorization and detoxification of sulfonated azo dye methyl orange by Kocuria rosea MTCC 1532,” Journal of Hazardous Materials, vol. 176, no. 1–3, pp. 503–509, 2010.
- M. S. Khehra, H. S. Saini, D. K. Sharma, B. S. Chadha, and S. S. Chimni, “Comparative studies on potential of consortium and constituent pure bacterial isolates to decolorize azo dyes,” Water Research, vol. 39, no. 20, pp. 5135–5141, 2005.
- V. Sharma, R. Sharma, and K. D. Sharma, “Distillery effluent effect on seed germination, early seedling growth and pigment content of sugarbeet (Beta vulgaris Linn. var. mezzanau-poly),” Journal of Environmental Biology, vol. 23, no. 1, pp. 77–80, 2002.
- T. C. Charles and E. W. Nester, “A chromosomally encoded two-component sensory transduction system is required for virulence of Agrobacterium tumefaciens,” Journal of Bacteriology, vol. 175, no. 20, pp. 6614–6625, 1993.
- K. Tamura, D. Peterson, N. Peterson, G. Stecher, M. Nei, and S. Kumar, “MEGA5: molecular evolutionary genetics analysis using maximum likelihood, evolutionary distance, and maximum parsimony methods,” Molecular Biology and Evolution, vol. 28, no. 10, pp. 2731–2739, 2011.
- P. L. Mali, M. M. Mahajan, D. P. Patil, and M. V. Kulkarni, “Biodecolourisation of members of triphenylmethane and azo group of dyes,” Journal of Scientific and Industrial Research, vol. 59, no. 3, pp. 221–224, 2000.
- J. Wu, B.-G. Jung, K.-S. Kim, Y.-C. Lee, and N.-C. Sung, “Isolation and characterization of Pseudomonas otitidis WL-13 and its capacity to decolorize triphenylmethane dyes,” Journal of Environmental Sciences, vol. 21, no. 7, pp. 960–964, 2009.
- J. Wang, M. Qiao, K. Wei et al., “Decolorizing activity of malachite green and its mechanisms involved in dye biodegradation by Achromobacter xylosoxidans MG1,” Journal of Molecular Microbiology and Biotechnology, vol. 20, no. 4, pp. 220–227, 2011.
- G. Parshetti, S. Kalme, G. Saratale, and S. Govindwar, “Biodegradation of malachite green by Kocuria rosea MTCC 1532,” Acta Chimica Slovenica, vol. 53, no. 4, pp. 492–498, 2006.
- M. Hattori and Y. Sakaki, “Dideoxy sequencing method using denatured plasmid templates,” Analytical Biochemistry, vol. 152, no. 2, pp. 232–238, 1986.
- K. Tamura and M. Nei, “Estimation of the number of nucleotide substitutions in the control region of mitochondrial DNA in humans and chimpanzees,” Molecular Biology and Evolution, vol. 10, no. 3, pp. 512–526, 1993.