- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Advances in Hematology
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 274628, 8 pages
What Role for Angiogenesis in Childhood Acute Lymphoblastic Leukaemia?
1Laboratoire MERCI-EA3829, Rouen University, 22 rue Gambetta, 76000 Rouen, France
2Pediatric Hematology and Oncology, Rouen University Hospital, CHU Charles Nicolle, 1 rue de Germont, 76000 Rouen, France
Received 21 July 2011; Accepted 15 September 2011
Academic Editor: Domenico Ribatti
Copyright © 2011 P. Schneider et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- R. Roskoski Jr., “Vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) signaling in tumor progression,” Critical Reviews in Oncology/Hematology, vol. 62, no. 3, pp. 179–213, 2007.
- B. Cristofaro and C. Emanueli, “Possible novel targets for therapeutic angiogenesis,” Current Opinion in Pharmacology, vol. 9, no. 2, pp. 102–108, 2009.
- M. Murakami and M. Simons, “Fibroblast growth factor regulation of neovascularization,” Current Opinion in Hematology, vol. 15, no. 3, pp. 215–220, 2008.
- B. Hu and S. Y. Cheng, “Angiopoietin-2: development of inhibitors for cancer therapy,” Current Oncology Reports, vol. 11, no. 2, pp. 111–116, 2009.
- D. Ribatti, M. T. Conconi, and G. G. Nussdorfer, “Nonclassic endogenous regulators of angiogenesis,” Pharmacological Reviews, vol. 59, no. 2, pp. 185–205, 2007.
- J. Folkman, “Angiogenesis in cancer, vascular, rheumatoid and other disease,” Nature Medicine, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 27–31, 1995.
- J. Folkman, “Tumor angiogenesis: therapeutic implications,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 285, no. 21, pp. 1182–1186, 1971.
- E. Moroni, P. Dell'Era, M. Rusnati, and M. Presta, “Fibroblast growth factors and their receptors in hematopoiesis and hematological tumors,” Journal of Hematotherapy and Stem Cell Research, vol. 11, no. 1, pp. 19–32, 2002.
- D. Ribatti, A. Vacca, M. Rusnati, and M. Presta, “The discovery of basic fibroblast growth factor/fibroblast growth factor-2 and its role in haematological malignancies,” Cytokine and Growth Factor Reviews, vol. 18, no. 3-4, pp. 327–334, 2007.
- A. Aguayo, E. Estey, H. Kantarjian et al., “Cellular vascular endothelial growth factor is a predictor of outcome in patients with acute myeloid leukemia,” Blood, vol. 94, no. 11, pp. 3717–3721, 1999.
- X. Dong, Z. C. Han, and R. Yang, “Angiogenesis and antiangiogenic therapy in hematologic malignancies,” Critical Reviews in Oncology/Hematology, vol. 62, no. 2, pp. 105–118, 2007.
- K. Karjalainen, D. E. Jaalouk, C. E. Bueso-Ramos et al., “Targeting neuropilin-1 in human leukemia and lymphoma,” Blood, vol. 117, no. 3, pp. 920–927, 2011.
- F. Poyer, B. Coquerel, R. Pegahi et al., “Secretion of MMP-2 and MMP-9 induced by VEGF autocrine loop correlates with clinical features in childhood acute lymphoblastic leukemia,” Leukemia Research, vol. 33, no. 3, pp. 407–417, 2009.
- A. Aguayo, H. Kantarjian, T. Manshouri et al., “Angiogenesis in acute and chronic leukemias and myelodysplastic syndromes,” Blood, vol. 96, no. 6, pp. 2240–2245, 2000.
- G. Pruneri, F. Bertolini, D. Soligo et al., “Angiogenesis in myelodysplastic syndromes,” British Journal of Cancer, vol. 81, no. 8, pp. 1398–1401, 1999.
- P. Salven, A. Orpana, L. Teerenhovi, and H. Joensuu, “Simultaneous elevation in the serum concentrations of the angiogenic growth factors VEGF and bFGF is an independent predictor of poor prognosis in non-Hodgkin lymphoma: a single-institution study of 200 patients,” Blood, vol. 96, no. 12, pp. 3712–3718, 2000.
- S. Faderl, K. A. Do, M. M. Johnson et al., “Angiogenic factors may have a different prognostic role in adult acute lymphoblastic leukemia,” Blood, vol. 106, no. 13, pp. 4303–4307, 2005.
- M. A. Pulè, C. Gullmann, D. Dennis, C. McMahon, M. Jeffers, and O. P. Smith, “Increased angiogenesis in bone marrow of children with acute lymphoblastic leukaemia has no prognostic significance,” British Journal of Haematology, vol. 118, no. 4, pp. 991–998, 2002.
- S. Yetgin, I. Yenicesu, M. Çetin, and M. Tuncer, “Clinical importance of serum vascular endothelial and basic fibroblast growth factors in children with acute lymphoblastic leukemia,” Leukemia and Lymphoma, vol. 42, no. 1-2, pp. 83–88, 2001.
- A. R. Perez-Atayde, S. E. Sallan, U. Tedrow, S. Connors, E. Allred, and J. Folkman, “Spectrum of tumor angiogenesis in the bone marrow of children with acute lymphoblastic leukemia,” American Journal of Pathology, vol. 150, no. 3, pp. 815–821, 1997.
- H. E. Daldrup-Link, T. Henning, and T. M. Link, “MR imaging of therapy-induced changes of bone marrow,” European Radiology, vol. 17, no. 3, pp. 743–761, 2007.
- J. L. Frater, N. E. Kay, C. L. Goolsby, S. E. Crawford, G. W. Dewald, and L. C. Peterson, “Dysregulated angiogenesis in B-chronic lymphocytic leukemia: Morphologic, immunohistochemical, and flow cytometric evidence,” Diagnostic Pathology, vol. 3, no. 1, article no. 16, 2008.
- L. Ma, M. D. Hollenberg, and J. L. Wallace, “Thrombin-induced platelet endostatin release is blocked by a proteinase activated receptor-4 (PAR4) antagonist,” British Journal of Pharmacology, vol. 134, no. 4, pp. 701–704, 2001.
- R. Koomagi, F. Zintl, A. Sauerbrey, and M. Volm, “Vascular endothelial growth factor in newly diagnosed and recurrent childhood acute lymphoblastic leukemia as measured by real-time quantitative polymerase chain reaction,” Clinical Cancer Research, vol. 7, no. 11, pp. 3381–3384, 2001.
- P. Schneider, M. Vasse, E. Sbaa-Ketata et al., “The growth of highly proliferative acute lymphoblastic leukemia may be independent of stroma and/or angiogenesis,” Leukemia, vol. 15, no. 7, pp. 1143–1145, 2001.
- P. Schneider, M. Vasse, E. Legrand, M. P. Callat, and J. P. Vannier, “Have urinary levels of the angiogenic factors, basic fibroblast growth factor and vascular endothelial growth factor, a prognostic value in childhood acute lymphoblastic leukaemia,” British Journal of Haematology, vol. 122, no. 1, pp. 163–164, 2003.
- S. Wellman, M. Guschmann, W. Griethe et al., “Activation of the HIF pathway in childhood ALL, prognostic implications of VEGF,” Leukemia, vol. 18, no. 5, pp. 926–933, 2004.
- I. A. Avramis, E. H. Panosyan, F. Dorey, J. S. Holcenberg, and V. I. Avramis, “Correlation between high vascular endothelial growth factor-A serum levels and treatment outcome in patients with standard-risk acute lymphoblastic leukemia: a report from Children's Oncology Group Study CCG-1962,” Clinical Cancer Research, vol. 12, no. 23, pp. 6978–6984, 2006.
- P. Schneider, M. Vasse, C. Corbière et al., “Endostatin variations in childhood acute lymphoblastic leukaemia-Comparison with basic fibroblast growth factor and vascular endothelial growth factor,” Leukemia Research, vol. 31, no. 5, pp. 629–638, 2007.
- C. J. Lyu, S. Y. Rha, and S. C. Won, “Clinical role of bone marrow angiogenesis in childhood acute lymphocytic leukemia,” Yonsei Medical Journal, vol. 48, no. 2, pp. 171–175, 2007.
- D. Stachel, M. Albert, R. Meilbeck, M. Paulides, and I. Schmid, “Expression of angiogenic factors in childhood B-cell precursor acute lymphoblastic leukemia,” Oncology reports, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 147–152, 2007.
- K. Werther, I. J. Christensen, and H. J. Nielsen, “Determination of vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) in circulating blood: significance of VEGF in various leucocytes and platelets,” Scandinavian Journal of Clinical and Laboratory Investigation, vol. 62, no. 5, pp. 343–350, 2002.
- N. Glenjen, K. A. Mosevoll, and Y. Bruserud, “Serum levels of angiogenin, basic fibroblast growth factor and endostatin in patients receiving intensive chemotherapy for acute myelogenous leukemia,” International Journal of Cancer, vol. 101, no. 1, pp. 86–94, 2002.
- J. P. Veiga, L. F. Costa, S. E. Sallan, L. M. Nadler, and A. A. Cardoso, “Leukemia-stimulated bone marrow endothelium promotes leukemia cell survival,” Experimental Hematology, vol. 34, no. 5, pp. 610–621, 2006.
- S. A. Wickström, K. Alitalo, and J. Keski-Oja, “Endostatin signaling and regulation of endothelial cell-matrix interactions,” Advances in Cancer Research, vol. 94, no. 1, pp. 197–229, 2005.
- S. Molica, G. Cutrona, G. Vitelli et al., “Markers of increased angiogenesis and their correlation with biological parameters identifying high-risk patients in early B-cell chronic lymphocytic leukemia,” Leukemia Research, vol. 31, no. 11, pp. 1575–1578, 2007.
- U. Norén-Nyström, M. Heyman, P. Frisk et al., “Vascular density in childhood acute lymphoblastic leukaemia correlates to biological factors and outcome,” British Journal of Haematology, vol. 146, no. 5, pp. 521–530, 2009.
- J. P. Veiga, S. E. Sallan, L. M. Nadler, and A. A. Cardoso, “De novo angiogenesis confers a selective adventage to leukemic celles through contact-dependent maintenance of anti-apoptotic gene expression,” Blood, vol. 94, abstract 658a, 1999.
- G. Klein, E. Vellenga, M. W. Fraaije, W. A. Kamps, and E. S. J. M. De Bont, “The possible role of matrix metalloproteinase (MMP)-2 and MMP-9 in cancer, e.g. acute leukemia,” Critical Reviews in Oncology/Hematology, vol. 50, no. 2, pp. 87–100, 2004.
- P. Schneider, O. Costa, E. Legrand et al., “In vitro secretion of matrix metalloprotease 9 is a prognostic marker in childhood acute lymphoblastic leukemia,” Leukemia Research, vol. 34, no. 1, pp. 24–31, 2010.
- A. Suminoe, A. Matsuzaki, H. Hattori, Y. Koga, E. Ishii, and T. Hara, “Expression of matrix metalloproteinase (MMP) and tissue inhibitor of MMP (TIMP) genes in blasts of infant acute lymphoblastic leukemia with organ involvement,” Leukemia Research, vol. 31, no. 10, pp. 1437–1440, 2007.
- J. W. Snow, N. Abraham, M. C. Ma, N. W. Abbey, B. Herndier, and M. A. Goldsmith, “Oxygen saturation in the bone marrow of healthy volunteers,” Blood, vol. 99, no. 1, p. 394, 2002.
- M. Fiegl, I. Samudio, K. Clise-Dwyer, J. K. Burks, Z. Mnjoyan, and M. Andreeff, “CXCR4 expression and biologic activity in acute myeloid leukemia are dependent on oxygen partial pressure,” Blood, vol. 113, no. 7, pp. 1504–1512, 2009.
- R. Yang and C. H. Zhong, “Angiogenesis in hematologic malignancies and its clinical implications,” International Journal of Hematology, vol. 75, no. 3, pp. 246–256, 2002.
- F. Bertolini, W. Mingrone, A. Alietti et al., “Thalidomide in multiple myeloma, myelodysplastic syndromes and histiocytosis. Analysis of clinical results and of surrogate angiogenesis markers,” Annals of Oncology, vol. 12, no. 7, pp. 987–990, 2001.
- J. E. Karp, I. Gojo, R. Pili et al., “Targeting vascular endothelial growth factor for relapsed and refractory adult acute myelogenous leukemias: therapy with sequential 1-β -D-arabinofuranosylcytosine, mitoxantrone, and bevacizumab,” Clinical Cancer Research, vol. 10, no. 11, pp. 3577–3585, 2004.
- G. Bergers and D. Hanahan, “Modes of resistance to anti-angiogenic therapy,” Nature Reviews Cancer, vol. 8, no. 8, pp. 592–603, 2008.
- H. Reikvam, K. J. Hatfield, P. Lassalle, A. Olsnes Kittang, E. Ersvær, and Ø. Bruserud, “Targeting the angiopoietin (Ang)/Tie-2 pathway in the crosstalk between acute myeloid leukaemia and endothelial cells: studies of Tie-2 blocking antibodies, exogenous Ang-2 and inhibition of constitutive agonistic Ang-1 release,” Expert Opinion on Investigational Drugs, vol. 19, no. 2, pp. 169–183, 2010.
- I. Petit, M. A. Karajannis, L. Vincent et al., “The microtubule-targeting agent CA4P regresses leukemic xenografts by disrupting interaction with vascular cells and mitochondrial-dependent cell death,” Blood, vol. 111, no. 4, pp. 1951–1961, 2008.
- C. Demacq, V. B. Vasconcellos, T. C. Izidoro-Toledo et al., “Vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) and endothelial nitric oxide synthase (NOS3) polymorphisms are associated with high relapse risk in childhood acute lymphoblastic leukemia (ALL),” Clinica Chimica Acta, vol. 411, no. 17-18, pp. 1335–1340, 2010.
- C. Schliemann, R. Bieker, N. Thoennissen et al., “Circulating angiopoietin-2 is a strong prognostic factor in acute myeloid leukemia,” Leukemia, vol. 21, no. 9, pp. 1901–1906, 2007.