- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Advances in Human-Computer Interaction
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 172318, 11 pages
How 3D Interaction Metaphors Affect User Experience in Collaborative Virtual Environment
1Arts et Metiers ParisTech, CNRS, Le2i Institut Image, 2 rue Thomas Dumorey, 71100 Chalon sur Saone, France
2Networking Technologies, CSIRO ICT Centre, P.O. Box 76, Epping, NSW 1710, Australia
Received 12 March 2011; Revised 29 June 2011; Accepted 21 July 2011
Academic Editor: Kiyoshi Kiyokawa
Copyright © 2011 Hamid Hrimech et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- S. Coquillart, B. Arnaldi, A. Berthoz, et al., Le Trait de la Ralit Virtuelle: Interfaage, Immersion et Interaction en Environnement Virtuel, vol. 2, Mines de Paris, 2006.
- R. M. Mark, “ISAAC: a virtual environment tool for the interactive construction of virtual worlds,” Technical Report, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC, USA, 1995.
- D. A. Bowman, E. Kruijff, J. J. Laviola, and I. Poupyrev, 3D User Interfaces: Theory and Practice, Addison-Wesley Educational Publishers, 2004.
- D. A. Bowman, D. B. Johnson, and L. F. Hodges, “Testbed evaluation of virtual environment interaction techniques,” in Proceedings of the ACM Symposium on Virtual Reality Software and Technology (VRST '99), pp. 26–33, ACM, New York, NY, USA, December 1999.
- I. Poupyrev, S. Weghorst, M. Billinghurst, and T. Ichikawa, “A framework and testbed for studying manipulation techniques for immersive VR,” in Proceedings of the ACM Symposium on Virtual Reality Software and Technology (VRST '97), pp. 21–28, September 1997.
- M. Gerhard, D. J. Moore, and D. J. Hobbs, “Continuous presence in collaborative virtual environments: towards a hybrid avatar-agent model for user representation,” in Proceedings of the 3rd International Workshop on Intelligent Virtual Agents, pp. 137–155, 2001.
- M. Garau, M. Slater, V. Vinayagamoorthy, A. Brogni, A. Steed, and M. A. Sasse, “The impact of avatar realism and eye gaze control on perceived quality of communication in a shared immersive virtual environment,” in Proceedings of the SIGCHI conference on Human factors in computing systems (CHI '03), pp. 529–536, ACM, New York, NY, USA, April 2003.
- J. N. Bailenson, K. Swinth, C. Hoyt, S. Persky, A. Dimov, and J. Blascovich, “The independent and interactive effects of embodied-agent appearance and behavior on self-report, cognitive, and behavioral markers of copresence in immersive virtual environments,” Presence: Teleoperators and Virtual Environments, vol. 14, no. 4, pp. 379–393, 2005.
- M. Slater, A. Sadagic, M. Usoh, and R. Schroeder, “Small-group behavior in a virtual and real environment: a comparative study,” Presence: Teleoperators and Virtual Environments, vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 37–51, 2000.
- J. S. Casanueva and E. H. Blake, “Small group experiments in collaborative virtual environments,” 2000.
- R. Schroeder, A. Steed, A. S. Axelsson et al., “Collaborating in networked immersive spaces: as good as being there together?” Computers and Graphics, vol. 25, no. 5, pp. 781–788, 2001.
- R. A. Ruddle, J. C. Savage, and D. M. Jones, “Symmetric and asymmetric action integration during cooperative object manipulation in virtual environments,” ACM Transactions on Computer-Human Interaction, vol. 9, pp. 285–308, 2002.
- R. A. Ruddle, J. C. D. Savage, and D. M. Jones, “Verbal communication during cooperative object manipulation,” in Proceedings of the ACM Conference on Collaborative Virtual Environments (CVE '02), pp. 120–127, October 2002.
- J. Hindmarsh, M. Fraser, C. Heath, S. Benford, and C. Greenhalgh, “Object focused interaction in collaborative virtual environments,” ACM Transactions on Computer-Human Interaction, vol. 7, pp. 477–509, 2000.
- H. Nakanishi, C. Yoshida, T. Nishimura, and T. Ishida, FreeWalk: A Three-Dimensional Meeting-Place for Communities, 1998.
- E. L. Sallnäs, “Effects of communication mode on social presence, virtual presence, and performance in collaborative virtual environments,” Presence: Teleoperators and Virtual Environments, vol. 14, no. 4, pp. 434–449, 2005.
- D. Roberts, R. Wolff, O. Otto, and A. Steed, “Constructing a gazebo: supporting teamwork in a tightly coupled, distributed task in virtual reality,” Presence: Teleoperators and Virtual Environments, vol. 12, no. 6, pp. 644–657, 2003.
- R. Wolff, D. J. Roberts, and O. Otto, “A study of event traffic during the shared manipulation of objects within a collaborative virtual environment,” Presence: Teleoperators and Virtual Environments, vol. 13, no. 3, pp. 251–262, 2004.
- M. S. Pinho, D. A. Bowman, and C. M. D. S. Freitas, “Cooperative object manipulation in immersive virtual environments: framework and techniques,” in Proceedings of the ACM Symposium on Virtual Reality Software and Technology (VRST '02), pp. 171–178, ACM, New York, NY, USA, November 2002.
- F. Biocca, C. Harms, and J. Gregg, “The networked minds measure of social presence: pilot test of the factor structure and concurrent validity,” in Proceedings of the 4th Annual International Workshop, pp. 9–11, Presence, Philadelphia, Pa, USA, May 2001.
- J. Brooke, System Usability Scale.
- E. van Wyk and R. de Villiers, “Usability context analysis for virtual reality training in South African mines,” in Proceedings of the Annual Research Conference of the South African Institute of Computer Scientists and Information Technologists on IT Research in Developing Countries (SAICSIT ’08), vol. 338, pp. 276–285, ACM, New York, NY, USA, 2008.
- F. Nowak and K. L. Biocca, “The effect of the agency and thropomorphism of users sense of telepresence, copresece, and social presence in virtual environment,” Presence: Teleopers and Virtual Environments, vol. 12, no. 5, pp. 481–494, 2003.
- R. Ruth, “Social presence as presentation of self,” in Proceedings of the 8th Annual International Workshop, pp. 21–23, Presence, 2005.
- L. Buoguila, M. Ishii, and M. Sato, “Multi-modal haptic device for large-scale virtual environment,” in Proceedings of the 8th ACM International Conference on Multimedia (ACM Multimedia 2000), pp. 277–283, USA, November 2000.