- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Advances in Human-Computer Interaction
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 659758, 10 pages
Investigating Effects of Screen Layout Elements on Interface and Screen Design Aesthetics
1Mechanical and Industrial Engineering Department, Northeastern University, 334 Snell Engineering Center, 360 Huntington Avenue, Boston, MA 02115, USA
2Department of Industrial and Manufacturing Systems Engineering, University of Garyounis, Benghazi 1308, Libya
Received 2 June 2010; Revised 11 December 2010; Accepted 12 March 2011
Academic Editor: Antonio Kr?ger
Copyright © 2011 Ahamed Altaboli and Yingzi Lin. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- D. Norman, Emotional Design: Why We Love (or Hate) Everyday Things, Basic Books, New York, NY, USA, 2004.
- Y. Liu, “Engineering aesthetics and aesthetic ergonomics: theoretical foundations and a dual-process research methodology,” Ergonomics, vol. 46, no. 13-14, pp. 1273–1292, 2003.
- Y. Liu, “The aesthetic and the ethic dimensions of human factors and design,” Ergonomics, vol. 46, no. 13-14, pp. 1293–1305, 2003.
- Kurosu and Kashimura, “Apparent usability vs. inherent usability experimental analysis on the determinants of the apparent usability,” in Proceedings of the Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (CHI '95), vol. 2, pp. 292–293, Denver, Colo, USA, 1995.
- N. Tractinsky, “Aesthetics and apparent usability: empirically assessing cultural and methodological issues,” in Proceedings of the Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (CHI '97), pp. 115–122, ACM Press, New York, NY, USA, March 1997.
- N. Tractinsky, A. S. Katz, and D. Ikar, “What is beautiful is usable,” Interacting with Computers, vol. 13, no. 2, pp. 127–145, 2000.
- G. Lindgaard, G. Fernandes, C. Dudek, and J. Browñ, “Attention web designers: you have 50 milliseconds to make a good first impression!,” Behaviour and Information Technology, vol. 25, no. 2, pp. 115–126, 2006.
- N. Tractinsky, A. Cokhavi, M. Kirschenbaum, and T. Sharfi, “Evaluating the consistency of immediate aesthetic perceptions of web pages,” International Journal of Human Computer Studies, vol. 64, no. 11, pp. 1071–1083, 2006.
- C. Phillips and C. Chapparro, “Visual appeal vs. usability: which one influences user perceptions of a website more?” Usability News, vol. 11, no. 2, 2009.
- M. Moshagen, J. Musch, and A. S. Göritz, “A blessing, not a curse: experimental evidence for beneficial effects of visual aesthetics on performance,” Ergonomics, vol. 52, no. 10, pp. 1311–1320, 2009.
- A. Sonderegger and J. Sauer, “The influence of design aesthetics in usability testing: effects on user performance and perceived usability,” Applied Ergonomics, vol. 41, no. 3, pp. 403–410, 2010.
- G. Birkhoff, Aesthetic Measure, Harvard University Press, Cambridge, Mass, USA, 1933.
- D. Chand, L. Dooley, and E. Tuovinen, “Gestalt theory in visual screen design—a new look at an old subject,” in Proceedings of the 7th World Conference on Computer in Education, Australian Computer Society, Copenhagen, Denmark, 2001.
- M. Bauerly and Y. Liu, “Computational modeling and experimental investigation of effects of compositional elements on interface and design aesthetics,” International Journal of Human Computer Studies, vol. 64, no. 8, pp. 670–682, 2006.
- C. Y. Lai, P. H. Chen, S. W. Shih, Y. Liu, and J. S. Hong, “Computational models and experimental investigations of effects of balance and symmetry on the aesthetics of text-overlaid images,” International Journal of Human Computer Studies, vol. 68, no. 1-2, pp. 41–56, 2010.
- M. Moshagen and M. T. Thielsch, “Facets of visual aesthetics,” International Journal of Human Computer Studies, vol. 68, no. 10, 2010.
- D. C. L. Ngo, L. S. Teo, and J. G. Byrne, “Modelling interface aesthetics,” Information Sciences, vol. 152, pp. 25–46, 2003.
- T. Lavie and N. Tractinsky, “Assessing dimensions of perceived visual aesthetics of web sites,” International Journal of Human Computer Studies, vol. 60, no. 3, pp. 269–298, 2004.
- T. S. Tullis, “The formatting of alphanumeric displays: a review and analysis,” Human Factors, vol. 25, no. 6, pp. 657–682, 1983.
- D. C. L. Ngo and J. G. Byrne, “Application of an aesthetic evaluation model to data entry screens,” Computers in Human Behavior, vol. 17, no. 2, pp. 149–185, 2001.
- M. Bauerly and Y. Liu, “Effects of symmetry and number of compositional elements on interface and design aesthetics,” International Journal of Human-Computer Interaction, vol. 24, no. 3, pp. 275–287, 2008.
- D. C. L. Ngo, L. S. Teo, and J. G. Byrne, “Evaluating interface esthetics,” Knowledge and Information Systems, no. 4, pp. 46–79, 2002.
- J. Zain, M. Tey, and Y. Goh, “Probing a self-developed aesthetics measurement application (SDA) in measuring aesthetics of mandarin learning web page interfaces,” IJCSNS International Journal of Computer Science and Network Security, vol. 8, no. 1, 2008.
- J. Hartmann, A. Sutcliffe, and A. De Angeli, “Towards a theory of user judgment of aesthetics and user interface quality,” ACM Transactions on Computer-Human Interaction, vol. 15, no. 4, pp. 1–30, 2008.
- P. van Schaik and J. Ling, “The role of context in perceptions of the aesthetics of web pages over time,” International Journal of Human Computer Studies, vol. 67, no. 1, pp. 79–89, 2009.