- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Advances in Human-Computer Interaction
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 137686, 10 pages
Comparing Horizontal and Vertical Surfaces for a Collaborative Design Task
Department of Computer Science, University of Victoria, Engineering/Computer Science Building (ECS), Room 504, P.O. Box 3055, STN CSC, Victoria, BC, Canada V8W 3P6
Received 13 October 2011; Revised 20 January 2012; Accepted 26 January 2012
Academic Editor: Antonio Krüger
Copyright © 2012 Brianna Potvin et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- P. Marshall, Y. Rogers, and E. Hornecker, “Are tangible interfaces really any better than other kinds of interfaces?” in Proceedings of the Tangible User Interfaces in Context and Theory Workshop (CHI '07), 2007.
- Y. Rogers and S. Lindley, “Collaborating around vertical and horizontal large interactive displays: which way is best?” Interacting with Computers, vol. 16, no. 6, pp. 1133–1152, 2004.
- S. D. Scott, K. D. Grant, and R. L. Mandryk, “System guidelines for co-located, collaborative work on a tabletop display,” in Proceedings of the European Conference Computer-Supported Cooperative Work, pp. 159–178, 2003.
- U. Dekel and J. D. Herbsleb, “Notation and representation in collaborative object-oriented design: an observational study,” in Proceedings of the ACM SIGPLAN Conference on Object-Oriented Programming, Systems, Languages, and Applications (OOPSLA '07), pp. 261–280, October 2007.
- Q. Chen, J. Grundy, and J. Hosking, “An e-whiteboard application to support early design-stage sketching of UML diagrams,” in Proceedings of the IEEE Symposium Human Centric Computing Languages and Environments (HCC '03), pp. 219–226, 2003.
- C. H. Damm, K. M. Hansen, and M. Thomsen, “Tool support for cooperative object-oriented design: gesture based modeling on an electronic whiteboard,” in Proceedings of the SIGCHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (CHI '00), pp. 518–525, April 2000.
- J. Wu and T. C. N. Graham, “The software design board: a tool supporting workstyle transitions in collaborative software design,” in Proceedings of the Engineering Human Computer Interaction and Interactive Systems, vol. 3425 of Lecture Notes in Computer Science, pp. 363–382, 2005.
- A. Tang, M. Tory, B. Po, P. Neumann, and S. Carpendale, “Collaborative coupling over tabletop displays,” in Proceedings of the ACM Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (CHI '06), pp. 1181–1190, April 2006.
- O. Kulyk and G. van der Veer, “Situational awareness support to enhance teamwork in collaborative environments,” in Proceedings of the 15th European conference on Cognitive Ergonomics, pp. 1–5, 2008.
- S. D. Scott, S. M. T. Carpendale, and K. M. Inkpen, “Territoriality in collaborative tabletop workspaces,” in Proceedings of the ACM Conference on Computer Supported Cooperative Work (CSCW '04), pp. 294–303, November 2004.
- K. Hawkey, M. Kellar, D. Reilly, T. Whalen, K. M. Inkpen, et al., “The proximity factor: impact of distance on co-located collaboration,” in Proceedings of the International ACM SIGGROUP Conference on Supporting Group Work (GROUP '05), pp. 31–40, November 2005.
- S. Bachl, M. Tomitsch, K. Kappel, and T. Grechenig, “The effects of personal displays and transfer techniques on collaboration strategies in multi-touch based multi-display environments,” in Proceedings of the 13 International Conference on Human-Computer Interaction (INTERACT '11), vol. 6948 of Lecture Notes in Computer Science, pp. 373–390, 2011.
- M. Haller, J. Leitner, T. Seifried et al., “The NiCE discussion room: integrating paper and digital media to support co-located group meetings,” in Proceedings of the 28th Annual CHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (CHI '10), pp. 609–618, April 2010.
- J. R. Wallace, S. D. Scott, T. Stutz, T. Enns, and K. Inkpen, “Investigating teamwork and taskwork in single- and multi-display groupware systems,” Personal and Ubiquitous Computing, vol. 13, no. 8, pp. 569–581, 2009.
- J. C. Tang, “Findings from observational studies of collaborative work,” International Journal of Man-Machine Studies, vol. 34, no. 2, pp. 143–160, 1991.
- A. Tang, J. Lanir, S. Greenberg, and S. Fels, “Supporting transitions in work: informing large display application design by understanding whiteboard use,” in Proceedings of the ACM SIGCHI International Conference on Supporting Group Work (GROUP '09), pp. 149–158, May 2009.
- K. Inkpen, K. Hawkey, M. Kellar, et al., “Exploring display factors that influence co-located collaboration: angle, size, number, and user arrangement,” in Proceedings of the Human-Computer Interaction Conference (HCI '05), 2005.
- N. Pantidi, Y. Rogers, and H. Robinson, “Is the writing on the wall for tabletops?” in Proceedings of the 12th International Conference on Human-Computer Interaction: Part II, vol. 5727 of Lecture Notes in Computer Science, pp. 125–137, 2009.
- A. Pavlovych and W. Stuerzlinger, “Effect of screen configuration and interaction devices in shared display groupware,” in Proceedings of the 3rd ACM International Workshop on Human-Centered Computing (HCC '08), pp. 49–56, October 2008.
- P. Marshall, E. Hornecker, R. Morris, N. S. Dalton, and Y. Rogers, “When the fingers do the talking: a study of group participation with varying constraints to a tabletop interface,” in Proceedings of the IEEE Tabletops and Interactive Surfaces (TABLETOP '08), pp. 37–44, October 2008.
- Y. Rogers, Y. Lim, W. R. Hazlewood, and P. Marshall, “Equal opportunities: do shareable interfaces promote more group participation than single user displays?” Human-Computer Interaction, vol. 24, no. 1-2, pp. 79–116, 2009.
- S. Lindley and A. F. Monk, “Social enjoyment with electronic photograph displays: awareness and control,” International Journal of Human Computer Studies, vol. 66, no. 8, pp. 587–604, 2008.
- M. R. Morris, A. J. B. Brush, and B. R. Meyers, “Reading revisited: evaluating the usability of digital display surfaces for active reading tasks,” in Proceedings of the Horizontal Interactive Human-Computer Systems (Tabletop '07), pp. 79–86, October 2007.
- M. R. Morris, A. J. B. Brush, and B. R. Meyers, “A field study of knowledge workers' use of interactive horizontal displays,” in Proceedings of the Horizontal Interactive Human Computer System (TABLETOP '08), pp. 105–112, October 2008.
- C. Müller-Tomfelde, A. Wessels, and C. Schremmer, “Tilted tabletops: in between horizontal and vertical workspaces,” in Proceedings of the International Workshop on Horizontal Interactive Human Computer System (TABLETOP '08), pp. 49–56, October 2008.
- J. Walny, S. Carpendale, N. H. Riche, G. Venolia, and P. Fawcett, “Visual thinking in action: visualizations as used on whiteboards,” IEEE Transactions on Visualization and Computer Graphics, vol. 17, no. 12, pp. 2508–2517, 2011.
- G. Simmel, “The number of members as determining the sociological form of the group,” American Journal of Sociology, vol. 8, pp. 1–46, 1902.
- T. Rodden, Y. Rogers, J. Halloran, and I. Taylor, “Designing novel interactional workspaces to support face to face consultations,” in Proceedings of the New Horizons Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (CHI '03), pp. 57–64, April 2003.