- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Advances in Human-Computer Interaction
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 654791, 7 pages
Zoo U: A Stealth Approach to Social Skills Assessment in Schools
13-C Institute for Social Development, 1901 North Harrison Avenue, Suite 200, Cary, NC 27513, USA
2Games Research Department, 3-C Institute for Social Development, 1901 North Harrison Avenue, Suite 200, Cary, NC 27513, USA
3Games Research Department, Center for Research in Emotional and Social Health, 1901 North Harrison Avenue, Suite 200, Cary, NC 27513, USA
Received 1 June 2012; Accepted 25 September 2012
Academic Editor: Leila Alem
Copyright © 2012 Melissa E. DeRosier et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. Kupersmidt and M. DeRosier, “How peer problems lead to negative outcomes: an integrative mediational model,” in Children’s Peer Relations: From Development to Intervention, pp. 119–138, American Psychological Association, 2004.
- J. Parker, K. Rubin, S. Erath, J. Wojslawowicz, and A. Buskirk, “Peer relationships, child development, and adjustment: a developmental psychopathology perspective,” Developmental Psychopathology, vol. 1, pp. 419–493, 2006.
- W. Furman and D. Buhrmester, “Age and sex differences in perceptions of networks of personal relationships,” Child Development, vol. 63, no. 1, pp. 103–115, 1992.
- A. E. Kazdin, “Effectiveness of psychotherapy with children and adolescents,” Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, vol. 59, no. 6, pp. 785–798, 1991.
- S. Luthar, Resilience and Vulnerability: Adaptation in the Context of Childhood Adversities, Cambridge University Press, New York, NY, USA, 2003.
- M. Boivin and S. Hymel, “Peer experiences and social self-perceptions: a sequential model,” Developmental Psychology, vol. 33, no. 1, pp. 135–145, 1997.
- S. A. Erath, K. S. Flanagan, and K. L. Bierman, “Social anxiety and peer relations in early adolescence: behavioral and cognitive factors,” Journal of Abnormal Child Psychology, vol. 35, no. 3, pp. 405–416, 2007.
- J. V. Carney, “Bullied to death: perceptions of peer abuse and suicidal behaviour during adolescence,” School Psychology International, vol. 21, no. 2, pp. 213–223, 2000.
- M. Brendgen, F. Vitaro, and W. M. Bukowski, “Affiliation with delinquent friends: contributions of parents, self-esteem, delinquent behavior, and rejection by peers,” Journal of Early Adolescence, vol. 18, no. 3, pp. 244–265, 1998.
- M. E. Feinberg, T. A. Ridenour, and M. T. Greenberg, “Aggregating indices of risk and protection for adolescent behavior problems: the Communities That Care Youth Survey,” Journal of Adolescent Health, vol. 40, no. 6, pp. 506–513, 2007.
- J. D. Hawkins, R. F. Catalano, and J. Y. Miller, “Risk and protective factors for alcohol and other drug problems in adolescence and early adulthood: implications for substance abuse prevention,” Psychological Bulletin, vol. 112, no. 1, pp. 64–105, 1992.
- C. Spooner, “Causes and correlates of adolescent drug abuse and implications for treatment,” Drug and Alcohol Review, vol. 18, no. 4, pp. 453–475, 1999.
- C. B. Fleming, K. P. Haggerty, R. F. Catalano, T. W. Harachi, J. J. Mazza, and D. H. Gruman, “Do social and behavioral characteristics targeted by preventive interventions predict standardized test scores and grades?” Journal of School Health, vol. 75, no. 9, pp. 342–349, 2005.
- L. J. Woodward and D. M. Fergusson, “Childhood peer relationship problems and later risks of educational under-achievement and unemployment,” Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry and Allied Disciplines, vol. 41, no. 2, pp. 191–201, 2000.
- J. D. Coie, K. A. Dodge, R. Terry, and V. Wright, “The role of aggression in peer relations: an analysis of aggression episodes in boys' play groups,” Child development, vol. 62, no. 4, pp. 812–826, 1991.
- M. E. DeRosier, J. B. Kupersmidt, and C. J. Patterson, “Children's academic and behavioral adjustment as a function of the chronicity and proximity of peer rejection,” Child Development, vol. 65, no. 6, pp. 1799–1813, 1994.
- M. Greenberg, C. Domitrovich, and B. Bumbarger, “Prevention of mental disorders in school-aged children: current state of the field,” Prevention & Treatment, vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 1–52, 2001.
- K. W. Merrell, “Assessment of children’s social skills: recent developments, best practices, and new directions,” Exceptionality, vol. 9, no. 1-2, pp. 3–18, 2001.
- K. W. Merrell, Behavioral, Social, and Emotional Assessment of Children and Adolescents, Laurence Erlbaum Associates, Mahwah, NJ, USA, 1999.
- K. W. Merrell and G. A. Gimpel, Social Skills of Children and Adolescents: Conceptualization, Assessment, Treatment, Laurence Erlbaum Associates, Mahwah, NJ, USA, 1998.
- V. J. Shute and F. Ke, “Games, learning, and assessment,” in Assessment in Game-Based Learning: Foundations, Innovations, and Perspectives, D. Ifenthaler, D. Eseryel, and X. Ge, Eds., Springer, New York, NY, USA, 2012.
- Y. Cheong, A. Jhala, B. Bae, and R. M. Young, “Automatically generating summaries from game logs,” in Proceedings of the 4th Artificial Intelligence and Interactive Digital Entertainment International Conference (AIIDE '08), pp. 167–172, 2008.
- J. Rowe and J. Lester, “Modeling user knowledge with dynamic bayesian networks in interactive narrative environments,” in Proceedings of the 6th Annual AI and Interactive Digital Entertainment Conference, pp. 57–62, Palo Alto, Calif, USA, 2010.
- A. Tveit and G. B. Tveit, “Game usage mining: information gathering for knowledge discovery in massive multiplayer games,” in Proceedings of the International Conference on Internet Computing (IC ’02), Session on Web Mining, 2002.
- V. J. Shute and D. Zapata-Rivera, “Educational assessment using intelligent systems,” Educational Testing Service Report RR-08-68, ETS, Princeton, NJ, USA, 2008.
- M. E. DeRosier and S. H. Mercer, “Improving student behavior: the effectiveness of a school-based character education program,” Journal of Research and Character Education, vol. 5, pp. 131–148, 2007.
- F. Gresham and S. Elliott, Social Skills Rating System, American Guidance Service, Circle Pines, Minn, USA, 1990.
- Conduct Problems Prevention Research Group (CPPRG), Social Competence Scale (Teacher Version), 1990, http://www.fasttrackproject.org/.
- M. E. DeRosier, “Using computer-based social tasks to assess students’ social skills: findings from the Zoo U pilot evaluation,” Final Report for the U.S. Department of Education, Washington, DC, USA, 2011.