- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Advances in Human-Computer Interaction
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 745216, 12 pages
Improving Interactions between a Power-Assist Robot System and Its Human User in Horizontal Transfer of Objects Using a Novel Adaptive Control Method
1Institute for Media Innovation, Nanyang Technological University, 50 Nanyang Drive, 637553, Singapore
2Division of Mechanical Engineering, Graduate School of Engineering, Mie University, Tsu, Mie 514-8507, Japan
Received 31 March 2012; Revised 15 October 2012; Accepted 9 November 2012
Academic Editor: Cathy Bodine
Copyright © 2012 S. M. Mizanoor Rahman and Ryojun Ikeura. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- H. Kazerooni, “Extender: a case study for human-robot interaction via transfer of power and information signals,” in Proceedings of the 2nd IEEE International Workshop on Robot and Human Communication, pp. 10–20, November 1993.
- K. Kong, H. Moon, B. Hwang, D. Jeon, and M. Tomizuka, “Impedance compensation of SUBAR for back-drivable force-mode actuation,” IEEE Transactions on Robotics, vol. 25, no. 3, pp. 512–521, 2009.
- H. Seki, K. Ishihara, and S. Tadakuma, “Novel regenerative braking control of electric power-assisted wheelchair for safety downhill road driving,” IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, vol. 56, no. 5, pp. 1393–1400, 2009.
- T. Kawashima, “Study on intelligent baby carriage with power assist system and comfortable basket,” Journal of Mechanical Science and Technology, vol. 23, no. 4, pp. 974–979, 2009.
- T. Tanaka, Y. Satoli, S. Kaneko, Y. Suzuki, N. Sakamoto, and S. Seki, “Smart suit: Soft power suit with semi-active assist mechanism - Prototype for supporting waist and knee joint,” in Proceedings of the International Conference on Control, Automation and Systems (ICCAS '08), pp. 2002–2005, October 2008.
- G. Q. Liu, Y. C. Yan, J. Chen, and T. M. Na, “Simulation and experimental validation study on the drive performance of a new hydraulic power assist system,” in Proceedings of the IEEE Intelligent Vehicles Symposium, pp. 966–970, June 2009.
- S. Lee, S. Hara, and Y. Yamada, “Safety-preservation oriented reaching monitoring for smooth control mode switching of skill-assist,” in Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Systems, Man and Cybernetics (SMC '08), pp. 780–785, October 2008.
- K. Osamura, S. Kobayashi, M. Hirata, and H. Okamoto, “Power assist control for slide doors using an ideal door model,” in Proceedings of the IEEE International Symposium on Industrial Electronics (ISIE '08), pp. 1293–1299, July 2008.
- K. Kosuge, H. Yabushita, and Y. Hirata, “Load-free control of power-assisted cycle,” in Proceedings of the 1st IEEE Technical Exhibition Based Conference on Robotics and Automation (TExCRA '04), pp. 111–112, November 2004.
- M. Ding, J. Ueda, and T. Ogasawara, “Pinpointed muscle force control using a power-assisting device: system configuration and experiment,” in Proceedings of the 2nd Biennial IEEE/RAS-EMBS International Conference on Biomedical Robotics and Biomechatronics (BioRob '08), pp. 181–186, October 2008.
- T. Kusaka, T. Tanaka, S. Kaneko, Y. Suzuki, M. Saito, and H. Kajiwara, “Assist force control of smart suit for horse trainers considering motion synchronization,” International Journal of Automation Technology, vol. 3, no. 6, pp. 723–730, 2009.
- S. M. M. Rahman, R. Ikeura, M. Nobe, and H. Sawai, “Design of a power assist system for lifting objects based on human's weight perception and changes in system's time constant,” in Proceedings of the 2nd Conference on Human System Interactions, (HSI '09), pp. 664–671, Catania, Italy, May 2009.
- S. M. M. Rahman, R. Ikeura, M. Nobe, and H. Sawai, “Design and control of a 1DOF power assist robot for lifting objects based on human operator's unimanual and bimanual weight discrimination,” in Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Mechatronics and Automation (ICMA '09), pp. 3637–3644, August 2009.
- M. M. Ayoub, “Problems and solutions in manual materials handling: the state of the art,” Ergonomics, vol. 35, no. 7-8, pp. 713–728, 1992.
- A. M. Okamura, N. Smaby, and M. R. Cutkosky, “Overview of dexterous manipulation,” in Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation (ICRA '00), pp. 255–262, April 2000.
- T. Doi, H. Yamada, T. Ikemoto, and H. Naratani, “Simulation of a pneumatic hand crane power-assist system,” Journal of Robotics and Mechatronics, vol. 20, no. 6, pp. 896–902, 2008.
- S. Hara, “A smooth switching from power-assist control to automatic transfer control and its application to a transfer machine,” IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, vol. 54, no. 1, pp. 638–650, 2007.
- T. Takubo, H. Arai, K. Tanie, and T. Arai, “Human-robot cooperative handling using variable virtual nonholonomic constraint,” International Journal of Automation Technology, vol. 3, no. 6, pp. 653–662, 2009.
- A. Niinuma, T. Miyoshi, K. Terashima, and Y. Miyashita, “Evaluation of effectiveness of a power-assisted wire suspension system compared to conventional machine,” in Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Mechatronics and Automation (ICMA '09), pp. 369–374, August 2009.
- T. Miyoshi and K. Terashima, “Study on horizontal power assisted system for overhead crane,” International Journal of Applied Electromagnetics and Mechanics, vol. 24, no. 3-4, pp. 297–309, 2006.
- H. Seki, M. Iso, and Y. Hori, “How to design force sensorless power assist robot considering environmental characteristics—position control based or force control based,” in Proceedings of the 28th Annual Conference of the IEEE Industrial Electronics Society, pp. 2255–2260, November 2002.
- L. Vanacken, R. Pinho, J. Sijbers, and K. Coninx, “Force feedback to assist active contour modelling for tracheal stenosis segmentation,” Advances in Human-Computer Interaction, vol. 2012, Article ID 632498, 9 pages, 2012.
- S. M. M. Rahman, R. Ikeura, M. Nobe, and H. Sawai, “Controlling a power assist robot for lifting objects considering human's unimanual, bimanual and cooperative weight perception,” in Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation (ICRA '10), pp. 2356–2362, May 2010.
- A. M. Gordon, H. Forssberg, R. S. Johansson, and G. Westling, “Visual size cues in the programming of manipulative forces during precision grip,” Experimental Brain Research, vol. 83, no. 3, pp. 477–482, 1991.
- M. O. Ernst and M. S. Banks, “Humans integrate visual and haptic information in a statistically optimal fashion,” Nature, vol. 415, no. 6870, pp. 429–433, 2002.
- L. Dominjon, A. Lécuyer, J. M. Burkhardt, P. Richard, and S. Richir, “Influence of control/display ratio on the perception of mass of manipulated objects in virtual environments,” in Proceedings of the IEEE Virtual Reality (VR '05), pp. 19–25, March 2005.
- S. M. M. Rahman, R. Ikeura, M. Nobe, and H. Sawai, “Control of a power assist robot for lifting objects based on human operator's perception of object weight,” in Proceedings of the 18th IEEE International Symposium on Robot and Human Interactive Communication (RO-MAN '09), pp. 84–90, Toyama, Japan, October 2009.
- S. M. M. Rahman, R. Ikeura, S. Hayakawa, and H. Sawai, “A critical look at human's bimanual lifting of objects with a power assist robot and its applications to improve the power-assist control,” in Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Biomimetics (ROBIO '10), pp. 732–738, Tianjin, China, December 2010.
- K. Astrom, Adaptive Control, Dover, New York, NY, USA, 2008.
- D. Hecht and M. Reiner, “Stroop interference and facilitation effects in kinesthetic and haptic tasks,” Advances in Human-Computer Interaction, vol. 2010, Article ID 852420, 2010.
- S. M. M. Rahman, R. Ikeura, M. Nobe, and H. Sawai, “Study on optimum maneuverability in horizontal manipulation of objects with power-assist based on weight perception,” in Mechatronics and Information Technology (ICMIT '09), vol. 7500 of Proceedings of SPIE, December 2009.
- J. R. Flanagan and M. A. Beltzner, “Independence of perceptual and sensorimotor predictions in the size-weight illusion,” Nature Neuroscience, vol. 3, no. 7, pp. 737–741, 2000.
- S. M. Mizanoor Rahman, R. Ikeura, I. Shinsuke, S. Hayakawa, and H. Sawai, “Psychophysical relationships between actual and perceived weights for lifting objects with power-assist: consideration of constrained and unconstrained lifting,” in Proceedings of the 3rd International Symposium on System Integration (SII '10), pp. 152–157, Tohoku University, Sendai, Japan, December 2010.
- H. Kobayashi, R. Ikeura, and H. Inooka, “Evaluating the maneuverability of a control stick using electromyography,” Biological Cybernetics, vol. 75, no. 1, pp. 11–18, 1996.
- H. L. Xie, Z. Z. Liang, F. Li, and L. X. Guo, “The knee joint design and control of above-knee intelligent bionic leg based on magneto-rheological damper,” International Journal of Automation and Computing, vol. 7, no. 3, pp. 277–282, 2010.
- T. J. Li, G. Q. Chen, and G. F. Shao, “Action control of soccer robots based on simulated human intelligence,” International Journal of Automation and Computing, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 55–63, 2010.
- N. Costa, M. Bezdicek, M. Brown, J. Gray, and D. Caldwell, “Joint motion control of a powered lower limb orthosis for rehabilitation,” International Journal of Automation and Computing, vol. 3, no. 3, pp. 271–281, 2006.
- J. Boeck, L. Vanacken, S. Notelaers, and K. Coninx, “Improved haptic linear lines for better movement accuracy in upper limb rehabilitation,” Advances in Human-Computer Interaction, vol. 2012, Article ID 162868, 7 pages, 2012.
- H. Mi, A. Krzywinski, T. Fujita, and M. Sugimoto, “Robotable: an infrastructure for intuitive interaction with mobile robots in a mixed-reality environment,” Advances in Human-Computer Interaction, vol. 2012, Article ID 301608, 10 pages, 2012.