- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Advances in Human-Computer Interaction
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 768180, 15 pages
Collaborative Exploration with a Micro Aerial Vehicle: A Novel Interaction Method for Controlling a MAV with a Hand-Held Device
Humans and Automation Lab, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 77 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA
Received 19 April 2012; Accepted 18 June 2012
Academic Editor: Kerstin S. Eklundh
Copyright © 2012 David Pitman and Mary L. Cummings. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. P. How, B. Bethke, A. Frank, D. Dale, and J. Vian, “Real-time indoor autonnomous vehicle test environment,” IEEE Control Systems Magazine, vol. 28, no. 2, pp. 51–64, 2008.
- T. Sheridan, Humans and Automation: System Design and Research Issues, John Wiley & Sons, New York, NY, USA, 2002.
- M. L. Cummings, S. Bruni, S. Mercier, and P. J. Mitchell, “Automation architecture for single operator, multiple UAV command and control,” The International C2 Journal, vol. 1, no. 2, pp. 1–24, 2007.
- T. Sheridan, Telerobotics, Automation, and Human Supervisory Control, MIT Press, Cambridge, Mass, USA, 1992.
- J. Y. C. Chen, E. C. Haas, and M. J. Barnes, “Human performance issues and user interface design for teleoperated robots,” IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man and Cybernetics C, vol. 37, no. 6, pp. 1231–1245, 2007.
- T. Fong, N. Cabrol, C. Thorpe, and C. Baur, “A personal user interface for collaborative human-robot exploration,” in Proceedings of the International Symposium on Artificial Intelligence, Robotics, and Automation in Space, Montréal, Canada, June 2001.
- H. K. Keskinpala, J. A. Adams, and K. Kawamura, “PDA-based human-robotic interface,” in System Security and Assurance, vol. 4, pp. 3931–3936, October 2003.
- J. A. Adams and H. Kaymaz-Keskinpala, “Analysis of perceived workload when using a PDA for mobile robot teleoperation,” in Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation (ICRA ’04), vol. 4, pp. 4128–4133, May 2004.
- R. Gutierrez and J. Craighead, “A native iphone packbot OCU,” in Proceedings of the 4th ACM/IEEE International Conference on Human-Robot Interaction (HRI '09), pp. 193–194, ACM, La Jolla, Calif, USA, March 2009.
- B. J. O'Brien, C. Karan, and S. H. Young, “FOCUS—future operator control unit: soldier,” in Unmanned Systems Technology XI, G. R. Gerhart, D. W. Gage, and C. M. Shoemaker, Eds., vol. 7332 of Proceedings of SPIE, p. 733, 2009.
- R. R. Murphy and J. L. Burke, “Up from the rubble: Lessons learned about HRI from search and rescue,” in Proceedings of the 49th Annual Meeting of the Human Factors and Ergonomics Society (HFES '05), vol. 49, pp. 437–441, September 2005.
- P. Durlach, J. Neumann, and D. Billings, “Training to operate a simulated micro-unmanned aerial vehicle with continuous or discrete manual control,” Tech. Rep., U.S. Army Research Institute for the Behavioral and Social Sciences, January 2008.
- T. B. Sheridan, “Space teleoperation through time delay: review and prognosis,” IEEE Transactions on Robotics and Automation, vol. 9, no. 5, pp. 592–606, 1993.
- D. Pitman, Collaborative micro aerial vehicle exploration of outdoor environments [M.S. thesis], MIT, 2010.
- R. J. Jagacinski and J. M. Flach, Control Theory for Humans: Quantitative Approaches to Modeling Performance, Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, Mahwah, NJ, USA, 2003.
- T. Sheridan and W. Verplank, “Human and computer control of undersea teleoperators,” Tech. Rep., Office of Naval Research, January 1978.
- S. Bouabdallah, A. Noth, and R. Siegwart, “PID vs LQ control techniques applied to an indoor micro Quadrotor,” in Proceedings of the IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems (IROS '04), vol. 3, pp. 2451–2456, June 2004.
- M. Efe, “Robust low altitude behavior control of a quadrotor rotorcraft through sliding modes,” in Proceedings of the 15th Mediterranean Conference on Control and Automation (MED '07), pp. 1–6, July 2007.
- S. I. Erwin, “UAV Programs Illustrate DoD’s Broken Procurement System,” National Defense, vol. 2009, 2009.
- H. A. Yanco and J. L. Drury, “Rescuing interfaces: a multi-year study of human-robot interaction at the AAAI Robot Rescue Competition,” Autonomous Robots, vol. 22, no. 4, pp. 333–352, 2007.
- I. Jang and W. Park, “Gesture-based user interfaces for handheld devices using accelerometer,” in Advances in Multimedia Information Processing, vol. 3331, pp. 359–368, PCM, 2004.
- M. Rahman, S. Gustafson, P. Irani, and S. Subramanian, “Tilt Techniques: investigating the dexterity of wrist-based input,” in Proceedings of the 27th International Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (CHI '09), pp. 1943–1952, ACM, Boston, Mass, USA, April 2009.
- S. G. Vandenberg and A. R. Kuse, “Mental rotations, a group test of three-dimensional spatial visualization,” Perceptual and Motor Skills, vol. 47, no. 2, pp. 599–604, 1978.
- M. Peters and C. Battista, “Applications of mental rotation figures of the Shepard and Metzler type and description of a mental rotation stimulus library,” Brain and Cognition, vol. 66, no. 3, pp. 260–264, 2008.
- M. Peters, B. Laeng, K. Latham, and M. Jackson, “A redrawn vandenberg and kuse mental rotations test—different versions and factors that affect performance,” Brain and Cognition, vol. 28, no. 1, pp. 39–58, 1995.
- M. Peters, J. T. Manning, and S. Reimers, “The effects of sex, sexual orientation, and digit ratio (2D : 4D) on mental rotation performance,” Archives of Sexual Behavior, vol. 36, no. 2, pp. 251–260, 2007.
- M. Kozhevnikov and M. Hegarty, “A dissociation between object manipulation spatial ability and spatial orientation ability,” Memory and Cognition, vol. 29, no. 5, pp. 745–756, 2001.
- M. Hegarty and D. Waller, “A dissociation between mental rotation and perspective-taking spatial abilities,” Intelligence, vol. 32, no. 2, pp. 175–191, 2004.
- A. N. Service, Smartphones for All “Makes Sense in Long Run”, U.S. Army News, 2011.
- C. Heininger, Army Develops Smartphone Framework, Applications for the Front Lines, U.S. Army News, 2011.