- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Advances in Human-Computer Interaction
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 790304, 7 pages
Decision Aiding to Overcome Biases in Object Identification
College of Engineering and Computer Science, Wright State University, Dayton, OH 45435, USA
Received 1 November 2011; Revised 10 February 2012; Accepted 17 February 2012
Academic Editor: Kerstin S. Eklundh
Copyright © 2012 Mary Fendley and S. Narayanan. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. C. Muller and S. Narayanan, “Cognitively-engineered multisensor image fusion for military applications,” Information Fusion, vol. 10, no. 2, pp. 137–149, 2009.
- B. M. Huey and C. D. Wickens, Workload Transition: Implications for Individuals and Team Performance, National Academy Press, Washington, DC, USA, 1993.
- A. Tversky and D. Kahneman, “Judgment under uncertainty: heuristics and Biases,” in Judgment and Decision Making, T. Connolly, H. R. Arkes, and K. R. Hammond, Eds., pp. 35–52, Cambridge University Press, New York, NY, USA, 2nd edition, 2000.
- I. K. Ash, “Surprise, memory, and retrospective judgment making: testing cognitive reconstruction theories of the hindsight Bias effect,” Journal of Experimental Psychology, vol. 35, no. 4, pp. 916–933, 2009.
- M. B. Cook and H. S. Smallman, “Human factors of the confirmation bias in intelligence analysis: decision support from graphical evidence landscapes,” Human Factors, vol. 50, no. 5, pp. 745–754, 2008.
- S. Hayibor and D. M. Wasieleski, “Effects of the use of the availability heuristic on ethical decision-making in organizations,” Journal of Business Ethics, vol. 84, no. 1, pp. 151–165, 2009.
- M. A. McCann, “SSRN-It's Not About the Money: The Role of Preferences, Cognitive Biases and Heuristics Among Professional Athletes by Michael,” 2007, http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=822864.
- R. F. West, M. E. Toplak, and K. E. Stanovich, “Heuristics and Biases as measures of critical thinking: associations with cognitive ability and thinking dispositions,” Journal of Educational Psychology, vol. 100, no. 4, pp. 930–941, 2008.
- S. Swift and M. Minardi, “Target recognition,” The Journal of Net-Centric Warfare, vol. 5, no. 5, pp. 38–40, 2006.
- S. Swift, “Personal communication,” in Phone Interview with Steve Swift, Jim Morgan, and Jim Leonard, M. E. Fendley, Ed., Dayton, Ohio, USA, 2006.
- D. Arnott, “Cognitive biases and decision support systems development: a design science approach,” Information Systems Journal, vol. 16, no. 1, pp. 55–78, 2006.
- L. M. Duvall, Accounting for Human Information Processing: A Critical Element for Future United States Air Force Command and Control Systems, Air University, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala, USA, 2005.
- I. Biederman, “Recognition-by-components: a theory of human image understanding,” Psychological Review, vol. 94, no. 2, pp. 115–147, 1987.
- A. J. Maule, “Strategies for adapting to time pressure,” in Decision Making under Stress: Emerging Themes and Applications, R. Flin, E. Salas, M. Stub, and L. Martin, Eds., pp. 271–279, Ashgate Publishing Company, Brookfield, Vt, USA, 1997.
- J. W. Payne, J. R. Bettman, and E. J. Johnson, “The adaptive decision maker: effort and accuracy in choice,” in Insights in Decision Making: A Tribute to Hillel J. Einhorn, R. M. Hogarth, Ed., pp. 129–153, The University of Chicago Press, Chicago, Ill, USA, 1990.
- W. W. Zachary, “Decision support systems: designing to extend the cognitive limits,” in Handbook of Human-Computer Interaction, M. Helander, Ed., Elsevier Science, 1988.
- P. Croskerry, “Achieving quality in clinical decision making: cognitive strategies and detection of bias,” Academic Emergency Medicine, vol. 9, no. 11, pp. 1184–1204, 2002.