- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Advances in Multimedia
Volume 2009 (2009), Article ID 982867, 14 pages
Adaptive Packet-Level Interleaved FEC for Wireless Priority-Encoded Video Streaming
School of CSEE, University of Essex, Wivenhoe Park, Colchester CO4 3SQ, UK
Received 3 February 2009; Revised 18 May 2009; Accepted 22 June 2009
Academic Editor: Jianfeng Wang
Copyright © 2009 Rouzbeh Razavi et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. Nafaa, T. Taleb, and L. Murphy, “Forward error correction strategies for media streaming over wireless networks,” IEEE Communications Magazine, vol. 46, no. 1, pp. 72–79, 2008.
- Q. Qu, Y. Pei, J. W. Modestino, and X. Tian, “Source-adaptation-based wireless video transport: a cross-layer approach,” EURASIP Journal on Applied Signal Processing, vol. 2006, Article ID 28919, 14 pages, 2006.
- Y. J. Liang, J. G. Apostolopoulos, and B. Girod, “Analysis of packet loss for compressed video: does burst-length matter?” in Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Acoustics, Speech and Signal Processing (ICASSP '03), vol. 5, pp. 684–687, Hong Kong, April 2003.
- C.-W. Lee, C.-S. Yang, and Y.-C. Su, “Adaptive UEP and packet size assignment for scalable video transmission over burst-error channels,” EURASIP Journal on Applied Signal Processing, vol. 2006, Article ID 10131, 9 pages, 2006.
- D. Tian, V. Kumar, M. Hannuksela, S. Wenger, and M. Gabbouj, “Improved H.264/AVC video broadcast /multicast,” in Visual Communications and Image Processing, vol. 5960 of Proceedings of SPIE, pp. 71–82, July 2005.
- J. Cai and C. W. Chen, “FEC-based video streaming over packet loss networks with pre-interleaving,” in Proceedings of the International Conference on Information Technology: Coding and Computing, pp. 10–14, April 2001.
- J. J. Metzner, “An improved broadcast retransmission protocol,” IEEE Transactions on Communications, vol. 32, no. 6, pp. 679–683, 1984.
- C. Huitema, “The case for packet level FEC,” in Proceedings of the 5th Workshop in Protocols for High-Speed Networks, pp. 109–120, October 1996.
- A. Albanese, J. Blömer, J. Edmonds, M. Luby, and M. Sudan, “Priority encoding transmission,” in Proceedings of the 35th Annual IEEE Symposium on Foundations of Computer Science, pp. 604–612, November 1994.
- P. Lemonnier, “Safe video contribution and distribution over IP networks,” in Proceedings of the Public Broadcasting Service Technology Conference, 2005.
- N. Chen and Z. Yan, “Complexity analysis of reed-solomon decoding over GF(2m) without using syndromes,” EURASIP Journal on Wireless Communications and Networking, vol. 2008, Article ID 843634, 11 pages, 2008.
- E. Soljanin, N. Varnica, and P. Whiting, “Punctured vs. rateless codes for hybrid ARQ,” in Proceedings of IEEE Information Theory Workshop (ITW '06), pp. 155–159, May 2006.
- Y. J. Liang, J. G. Apostolopoulos, and B. Girod, “Model-based delay-distortion optimization for video streaming using packet interleaving,” in Proceedings of the 37th Asilomar Conference on Signals, Systems and Computers, vol. 2, pp. 1315–1319, November 2002.
- J.-Y. Choi and J. Shin, “Content-aware packet-level interleaving method for video transmission over wireless networks,” in Proceedings of the 3rd International Conference on Wired/Wireless Internet Communications, vol. 3510 of Lecture Notes in Computer Science, pp. 149–158, Xanthi, Greece, May 2005.
- A. Nafaa, T. Ahmed, and A. Mehaoua, “Unequal and interleaved FEC protocol for robust MPEG-4 multicasting over wireless LANs,” in Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Communications, vol. 3, pp. 1431–1435, June 2004.
- A. E. Mohr, E. A. Riskin, and R. E. Ladner, “Unequal loss protection: graceful degradation of image quality over packet erasure channels through forward error correction,” IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications, vol. 18, no. 6, pp. 819–828, 2000.
- B. Girod, K. Stuhlmüller, M. Link, and U. Horn, “Packet-loss-resilient Internet video streaming,” in Visual Communications and Image Processing '99, vol. 3653 of Proceedings of SPIE, pp. 833–844, San Jose, Calif, USA, January 1999.
- J. C. Haartsen, “The Bluetooth radio system,” IEEE Personal Communications, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 28–36, 2000.
- K. Ishibashi, H. Ochiai, and R. Kohno, “Embedded forward error control technique (EFECT) for low-rate but low latency communications,” IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications, vol. 7, no. 5, pp. 1456–1460, 2008.
- M. K. Honig and D. G. Messerschmitt, Adaptive Filters Structures, Algorithms, and Applications, Kluwer Academic Publishers, Boston, Mass, USA, 1990.
- A. M. Adas, “Using adaptive linear prediction to support real-time VBR video under RCBR network service model,” IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking, vol. 6, no. 5, pp. 635–644, 1998.
- D. Jurca and P. Frossard, “Packet media streaming with imprecise rate estimation,” Advances in Multimedia, vol. 2007, Article ID 39524, 8 pages, 2007.
- V. Subramanian, K. K. Ramakrishnan, and S. Kalyanaraman, “Disruption-tolerant link-level mechanisms for extreme wireless network environments,” in Proceedings of the 2nd International Conference on Communication System Software and Middleware and Workshops (COMSWARE '07), pp. 1–10, January 2007.
- L. Lampe, M. Jain, and R. Schober, “Improved decoding for Bluetooth systems,” IEEE Transactions on Communications, vol. 53, no. 1, pp. 1–4, 2005.
- S. B. Wicker and V. K. Bhargava, “An introduction to Reed-Solomon codes,” in Reed-Solomon Codes and Their Applications, pp. 1–16, IEEE Press, Piscataway, NJ, USA, 1996.
- “Core Specification of the Bluetooth system version 2.1 + EDR,” July 2007, http://www.bluetooth.com.
- J.-J. Chen, T. Sun, and Y.-C. Chen, “Improving Bluetooth EDR throughput using FEC and interleaving,” in Proceedings of the International Conference on Mobile Ad Hoc and Sensor Networks, pp. 726–736, Hong Kong, 2006.
- R. Razavi, M. Fleury, and M. Ghanbari, “Correct Bluetooth EDR FEC performance with SEC-DAEC decoding,” Electronics Letters, vol. 43, no. 22, pp. 1209–1211, 2007.
- R. Razavi, M. Fleury, E. Jammeh, and M. Ghanbari, “An efficient packetisation scheme for Bluetooth video transmission,” Electronics Letters, vol. 42, no. 20, pp. 1143–1145, 2006.
- F. Zhai, Y. Eisenberg, C. E. Luna, T. N. Pappas, R. Berry, and A. K. Katsaggelos, “Packetization schemes for forward error correction in Internet video streaming,” in Proceedings of the 41st Allerton Conference on Communications, Control, and Computing, pp. 1612–1613, October 2005.
- S. Moiron, S. Faria, P. Assunção, V. Silva, and A. Navarro, “H.264/AVC to MPEG-2 video transcoding architecture,” in Proceedings of the Conference on Telecommunications, pp. 449–452, Peniche, Portugal, May 2007.
- T. Wiegand, H. Schwarz, A. Joch, F. Kossentini, and G. J. Sullivan, “Rate-constrained coder control and comparison of video coding standards,” IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology, vol. 13, no. 7, pp. 688–703, 2003.