- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Advances in Multimedia
Volume 2009 (2009), Article ID 982867, 14 pages
Adaptive Packet-Level Interleaved FEC for Wireless Priority-Encoded Video Streaming
School of CSEE, University of Essex, Wivenhoe Park, Colchester CO4 3SQ, UK
Received 3 February 2009; Revised 18 May 2009; Accepted 22 June 2009
Academic Editor: Jianfeng Wang
Copyright © 2009 Rouzbeh Razavi et al. This is an open access article distributed under the
- A. Nafaa, T. Taleb, and L. Murphy, “Forward error correction strategies for media streaming over wireless networks,” IEEE Communications Magazine, vol. 46, no. 1, pp. 72–79, 2008.
- Q. Qu, Y. Pei, J. W. Modestino, and X. Tian, “Source-adaptation-based wireless video transport: a cross-layer approach,” EURASIP Journal on Applied Signal Processing, vol. 2006, Article ID 28919, 14 pages, 2006.
- Y. J. Liang, J. G. Apostolopoulos, and B. Girod, “Analysis of packet loss for compressed video: does burst-length matter?” in Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Acoustics, Speech and Signal Processing (ICASSP '03), vol. 5, pp. 684–687, Hong Kong, April 2003.
- C.-W. Lee, C.-S. Yang, and Y.-C. Su, “Adaptive UEP and packet size assignment for scalable video transmission over burst-error channels,” EURASIP Journal on Applied Signal Processing, vol. 2006, Article ID 10131, 9 pages, 2006.
- D. Tian, V. Kumar, M. Hannuksela, S. Wenger, and M. Gabbouj, “Improved H.264/AVC video broadcast /multicast,” in Visual Communications and Image Processing, vol. 5960 of Proceedings of SPIE, pp. 71–82, July 2005.
- J. Cai and C. W. Chen, “FEC-based video streaming over packet loss networks with pre-interleaving,” in Proceedings of the International Conference on Information Technology: Coding and Computing, pp. 10–14, April 2001.
- J. J. Metzner, “An improved broadcast retransmission protocol,” IEEE Transactions on Communications, vol. 32, no. 6, pp. 679–683, 1984.
- C. Huitema, “The case for packet level FEC,” in Proceedings of the 5th Workshop in Protocols for High-Speed Networks, pp. 109–120, October 1996.
- A. Albanese, J. Blömer, J. Edmonds, M. Luby, and M. Sudan, “Priority encoding transmission,” in Proceedings of the 35th Annual IEEE Symposium on Foundations of Computer Science, pp. 604–612, November 1994.
- P. Lemonnier, “Safe video contribution and distribution over IP networks,” in Proceedings of the Public Broadcasting Service Technology Conference, 2005.
- N. Chen and Z. Yan, “Complexity analysis of reed-solomon decoding over GF(2m) without using syndromes,” EURASIP Journal on Wireless Communications and Networking, vol. 2008, Article ID 843634, 11 pages, 2008.
- E. Soljanin, N. Varnica, and P. Whiting, “Punctured vs. rateless codes for hybrid ARQ,” in Proceedings of IEEE Information Theory Workshop (ITW '06), pp. 155–159, May 2006.
- Y. J. Liang, J. G. Apostolopoulos, and B. Girod, “Model-based delay-distortion optimization for video streaming using packet interleaving,” in Proceedings of the 37th Asilomar Conference on Signals, Systems and Computers, vol. 2, pp. 1315–1319, November 2002.
- J.-Y. Choi and J. Shin, “Content-aware packet-level interleaving method for video transmission over wireless networks,” in Proceedings of the 3rd International Conference on Wired/Wireless Internet Communications, vol. 3510 of Lecture Notes in Computer Science, pp. 149–158, Xanthi, Greece, May 2005.
- A. Nafaa, T. Ahmed, and A. Mehaoua, “Unequal and interleaved FEC protocol for robust MPEG-4 multicasting over wireless LANs,” in Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Communications, vol. 3, pp. 1431–1435, June 2004.
- A. E. Mohr, E. A. Riskin, and R. E. Ladner, “Unequal loss protection: graceful degradation of image quality over packet erasure channels through forward error correction,” IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications, vol. 18, no. 6, pp. 819–828, 2000.
- B. Girod, K. Stuhlmüller, M. Link, and U. Horn, “Packet-loss-resilient Internet video streaming,” in Visual Communications and Image Processing '99, vol. 3653 of Proceedings of SPIE, pp. 833–844, San Jose, Calif, USA, January 1999.
- J. C. Haartsen, “The Bluetooth radio system,” IEEE Personal Communications, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 28–36, 2000.
- K. Ishibashi, H. Ochiai, and R. Kohno, “Embedded forward error control technique (EFECT) for low-rate but low latency communications,” IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications, vol. 7, no. 5, pp. 1456–1460, 2008.
- M. K. Honig and D. G. Messerschmitt, Adaptive Filters Structures, Algorithms, and Applications, Kluwer Academic Publishers, Boston, Mass, USA, 1990.
- A. M. Adas, “Using adaptive linear prediction to support real-time VBR video under RCBR network service model,” IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking, vol. 6, no. 5, pp. 635–644, 1998.
- D. Jurca and P. Frossard, “Packet media streaming with imprecise rate estimation,” Advances in Multimedia, vol. 2007, Article ID 39524, 8 pages, 2007.
- V. Subramanian, K. K. Ramakrishnan, and S. Kalyanaraman, “Disruption-tolerant link-level mechanisms for extreme wireless network environments,” in Proceedings of the 2nd International Conference on Communication System Software and Middleware and Workshops (COMSWARE '07), pp. 1–10, January 2007.
- L. Lampe, M. Jain, and R. Schober, “Improved decoding for Bluetooth systems,” IEEE Transactions on Communications, vol. 53, no. 1, pp. 1–4, 2005.
- S. B. Wicker and V. K. Bhargava, “An introduction to Reed-Solomon codes,” in Reed-Solomon Codes and Their Applications, pp. 1–16, IEEE Press, Piscataway, NJ, USA, 1996.
- “Core Specification of the Bluetooth system version 2.1 + EDR,” July 2007, http://www.bluetooth.com.
- J.-J. Chen, T. Sun, and Y.-C. Chen, “Improving Bluetooth EDR throughput using FEC and interleaving,” in Proceedings of the International Conference on Mobile Ad Hoc and Sensor Networks, pp. 726–736, Hong Kong, 2006.
- R. Razavi, M. Fleury, and M. Ghanbari, “Correct Bluetooth EDR FEC performance with SEC-DAEC decoding,” Electronics Letters, vol. 43, no. 22, pp. 1209–1211, 2007.
- R. Razavi, M. Fleury, E. Jammeh, and M. Ghanbari, “An efficient packetisation scheme for Bluetooth video transmission,” Electronics Letters, vol. 42, no. 20, pp. 1143–1145, 2006.
- F. Zhai, Y. Eisenberg, C. E. Luna, T. N. Pappas, R. Berry, and A. K. Katsaggelos, “Packetization schemes for forward error correction in Internet video streaming,” in Proceedings of the 41st Allerton Conference on Communications, Control, and Computing, pp. 1612–1613, October 2005.
- S. Moiron, S. Faria, P. Assunção, V. Silva, and A. Navarro, “H.264/AVC to MPEG-2 video transcoding architecture,” in Proceedings of the Conference on Telecommunications, pp. 449–452, Peniche, Portugal, May 2007.
- T. Wiegand, H. Schwarz, A. Joch, F. Kossentini, and G. J. Sullivan, “Rate-constrained coder control and comparison of video coding standards,” IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology, vol. 13, no. 7, pp. 688–703, 2003.